Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Wouldn't be totally opposed to it. The only reason we didn't bring him back was because he wanted an ass load of money.
Because we let him go and he went to Baltimore and found out how good he was and now he wants to get overpaid.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Because we let him go and he went to Baltimore and found out how good he was and now he wants to get overpaid.
Tough to say. I think he might be more reasonable this time around. He signed with Tampa Bay and they traded him to the Ravens in training camp. He then saw much less time in Baltimore then he was seeing in SF.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While everyone else here doesnt want Taylor, I would have no problem signing him to be our pass rushing OLB. He played DE/OLB with Miami before being traded to WSH.

Sure, he didnt do anything in WSH but few (if any) players have done anything after signing with WSH or bein traded to WSH. He simply didnt fit in and was injured for the majority of the season.

Some here dont want players over the age of 30 but if that was true, the same people who dont want Taylor wouldnt want Warner, Marques Douglas or the few we already have.

Either way, I wouldnt mind signing Taylor as long as he's not overpaid. He would be a good compliment to play opposite Lawson at OLB.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Taylor would be a Dan signing.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Dan,

What do you think of his lack of production? Just because he signed with WSH doesn't mean that's the reason for it.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Some here dont want players over the age of 30 but if that was true, the same people who dont want Taylor wouldnt want Warner, Marques Douglas or the few we already have.
Well, I dont want Warner, Douglas or Taylor, so you are correct.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Well Dan,

What do you think of his lack of production? Just because he signed with WSH doesn't mean that's the reason for it.
His production was down due to the calf injury he suffered in week three. It was a pretty serious injury:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10993661

Before the year in Washington he was coming off three straight double digit sack seasons. I still think he has another two or three years left in the tank.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is your take on his...

1. Inability to gain back the weight he lost while dancing on TV?
2. Unwillingness to participate in offseason workouts?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Prima-donna that recently led the NFL in sacks?
2002? In that case bring back recent NFL passing leader Rich Gannon to solve our QB woes too...

(I get your point about him being a high performance sack artist in the past, but let a chance to be a pedant go by? Never. :P)

Quote:
I don't care if he likes to shave his arms or if he likes to drink cosmos, so long as he can put some QBs on their a**es!
At 240 lbs he's the same as our own 'weight challenged' Manny Lawson. I just don't think he's got the drive in him any more. That and I freely admit that I overvalue things like loyalty, commitment and team spirit and I don't think he's got much of those.

For the veteran minimum, sure, we could kick the tires but for the sort of money he'll want? For a man already focused on an 'acting' career? I just don't think he's our man.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Well, Warner returned to Arizona without a contract so I am going to assume he's not signing with us.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, Warner returned to Arizona without a contract so I am going to assume he's not signing with us.
It's a safe assumption but I don't think it was reasonable to assume he would agree to a deal with the 49ers without sitting down with the Cardinals first. It was obvious from the start that his ideal option was to stay in Arizona. If he isn't happy with what the Cards have since offered, it wouldn't surprise me if he inks with the Niners. Houshmandzadeh visited with the Vikings after he visited with the Seahawks. He returned to sign with Seattle. I don't think that Warner returning to Arizona is a bad sign, perhaps expected, but not in a negative way.

Last edited by phlysac : 03-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I guess you're right but if we offered him around $14.5 million for two years, that would be much lower than AZ's offer. I guess his big thing is that guaranteed second year.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope SF doesn't sign Warner, I just hope it makes his value increase. I really see no problem in letting Hill be the starting QB. Where as we could use Taylor's services, I think the price for what he would give us in production would be a poor decision.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He also is probably going to see if Arizona is going to match his offer.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Also, Warner signing, assuming Smith restructures, kills the chances that we draft Stephen McGee! Haha.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, Warner signing, assuming Smith restructures, kills the chances that we draft Stephen McGee! Haha.
We're not drafting Stephen McGee..

He's drafting us.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
We're not drafting Stephen McGee..

He's drafting us.
Haha, what's funny is that by coincidence, Rick Gosselin just wrote a thing about him in his blog: http://nflblog.dallasnews.com/archiv...fident-ta.html

Also, how did no one notice David Bruton, S Notre Dame, during the combine (6'2" 219lbs, 4.46 in the 40 and a 41 vertical leap)?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Also, how did no one notice David Bruton, S Notre Dame, during the combine (6'2" 219lbs, 4.46 in the 40 and a 41 vertical leap)?
Oh, I definitely noticed. Unfortunately that athleticism never translated on the field in South Bend. For my money, if I was drafting a big FS/SS hybrid... Chip Vaughn, all the way.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Looks like David Bruton is having a nice combine. I was hoping against this. He is my sleeper FS prospect I was hoping we could get later in the draft.
Yeah, I noticed on 02-24-2009.

I liked the way Bruton was always around the ball at ND. Thought he had a lot of potential, but could take a year or two to develop.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

So, Warner used the Niners to determine a market value and then his agent used that to create a new proposal is below what the Cards originally offered. The Cardinals now have Warner at a salary not much different than what they offered and (thanks to his offer to take less if they restructure Boldin) they also have Boldin for the long haul.

Well, we just got shat on. Awesome. **** Kurt Warner and **** the Cardinals.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So, Warner used the Niners to determine a market value and then his agent used that to create a new proposal is below what the Cards originally offered. The Cardinals now have Warner at a salary not much different than what they offered and (thanks to his offer to take less if they restructure Boldin) they also have Boldin for the long haul.

Well, we just got shat on. Awesome. **** Kurt Warner and **** the Cardinals.
It was always going to play out that way sadly, not that Kurt Warner's like that of course; it's all about the respect...

Although PFT has us as not offering vastly above what Arizona did. Which I guess means we didn't get played quite so badly.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
It was always going to play out that way sadly, not that Kurt Warner's like that of course; it's all about the respect...

Although PFT has us as not offering vastly above what Arizona did. Which I guess means we didn't get played quite so badly.
I didnt want Warner but he and his agent used us. I understand it's a buisness but oh well. I was just hoping we would jack up AZ's price, not help them out haha.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

So much for Kurt and his agent don't use people.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCloughan only brought in Warner as a favor to his agent (forgot his name) and basically did it so if/when the time, the agent can return the favor for Scott.

Personally, it was nothing more than a waste of time. I dont want Warner because we dont have Fitz or Boldin and I dont think that he would do a damn thing in SF. His best seasons have come with two or three good to great receivers while playing in a dome. And personally, in SF, Hill > Warner.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB
Well Dan,

The main reason was the injury he suffered which someone already posted about. Look at his career, he's been an elite DE and has averaged 10 sacks a season. Thats pretty damn good in my opinion.

A secondary reason was WSH. He didnt fit into the scheme plus look at their history when it comes to signing or trading for "big name" players or "so-so" players (like Brandon Lloyd) to huge deals. They rarely if ever work out for them.

Think of it this way - if we bring back Marques Douglas and pay him a few million a season, that money would be better spent on Taylor because he helps fill a huge need which is having a legitimate pass rusher. Taylor played OLB back in 2007 and recorded 11 sacks which was the 1-15 Dolphins few (if only) highlights.

Plus, Balmer can start at DE or NT with Sopoaga playing the opposite spot. I wouldnt go nuts though. I wouldnt offer him anything more than $5m per season including the signing bonus. Since every team is required to spent the set minimum amount (sorry, I dont know what that amount is for 2009), the money has to be spent somewhere to why not spend it on a player who could help us.

Granted, Taylor could be a flop for us but the signing would be low risk and considering we gave that WR from TEN more money than he probably deserves, Taylor could turn out to be a steal. Worse case scenario is that he would at least provide veteran leadership in the locker room and maybe teach Lawson a few more moves so he can actually be used as a pass rusher.

As for the off-season workouts and whatnot, I personally wouldnt overwork veterans regardless of who they are because I would want them to be 100% healthy for the season.