Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.
Default Why so much hype for Cutler?

What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season? Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.

So why does Cutler, a 17-20 record starter with only one Pro Bowl season warrant so much hype? I really don't understand it. Not to mention that the Bears team he's going to isn't nearly the offensive force that Denver's was.

This just seems so silly to me, and I feel like I'm the only one who notices the glaring overhype.

Last edited by 3pac : 04-15-2009 at 07:03 AM.
3pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are. You're the only one who gets it. Congrats.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You are. You're the only one who gets it. Congrats.
Since you obviously disagree, reasons as to why this is the case are welcome.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pac View Post
What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season? Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.

So why does Cutler, a 17-20 record starter with only one Pro Bowl season warrant so much hype? I really don't understand it. Not to mention that the Bears team he's going to isn't nearly the offensive force that Denver's was.

This just seems so silly to me, and I feel like I'm the only one who notices the glaring overhype.
Cutler basically carried a Broncos team that had no D an lost coutless RB's. An almost led them to the playoffs. thats pretty good

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DA was getting hyped pretty well too there for a bit, so the two cases aren't so different, but you obviously can't say because DA took a step back so will Cutler.

It's fairly natural, particularly for fantasy football favorites like DA and Cutler were/are. After all, you can't disappoint like DA did if you weren't hyped up a little bit, and a young QB who appears to be the next great thing will always get hyped.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
Cutler basically carried a Broncos team that had no D an lost coutless RB's. An almost led them to the playoffs. thats pretty good
I'd say leading the Browns to 10-6 in a tough AFC North division is far more impressive than leading the Broncos to 8-8 in a horrible, HORRIBLE AFC West division that was actually claimed by an 8-8 squad... (albiet one that beat my team in the playoffs.....sigh).

Also, it's hard to say he "carried" anything considering they had one of the worst late season collapses in recent memory.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
DA was getting hyped pretty well too there for a bit, so the two cases aren't so different, but you obviously can't say because DA took a step back so will Cutler.

It's fairly natural, particularly for fantasy football favorites like DA and Cutler were/are. After all, you can't disappoint like DA did if you weren't hyped up a little bit, and a young QB who appears to be the next great thing will always get hyped.
I suppose that's true, had DA been traded there probably would have been hype there as well. But I fail to see how adding Cutler to the bears makes them the great force to be reckoned with that some are hinting at. I'm not saying he's not probably an improvement, but man, his impact is being blown out of proportion.

I guess you're right, in this day of fantasy football, the idea of a QB that can throw for 4,500 yards or whatever it was is more important than most other factors.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd say leading the Browns to 10-6 in a tough AFC North division is far more impressive than leading the Broncos to 8-8 in a horrible, HORRIBLE AFC West division that was actually claimed by an 8-8 squad... (albiet one that beat my team in the playoffs.....sigh).

Also, it's hard to say he "carried" anything considering they had one of the worst late season collapses in recent memory.
At least the Browns had Jamal Lewis an a decent D.
An Cutler got tired, thats what happens when your forced to throow the balls alot during a game. An what do you think the Broncos would be if Anderson started instead of Cutler?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
At least the Browns had Jamal Lewis an a decent D.
An Cutler got tired, thats what happens when your forced to throow the balls alot during a game. An what do you think the Broncos would be if Anderson started instead of Cutler?
They'd probably be about the same as far as I'm concerned. I think the Broncos success is tied in more to the system than Cutler. Heck, you talk about their "lack of a run game" but they were 12th or so in the league in rushing if memory serves.

They're both young QBs with good strong arms that had/have shown promise at the end of a fantasy-football-friendly season. If Cutler wasn't drafted in the 1st round a few years back, I doubt this would be as big news. It seems to add to the glamor.

EDIT: Also, Denver had the 3rd best YPA rushing in the NFL last year. So they were FAR from bad.

Last edited by 3pac : 04-15-2009 at 08:08 AM.
3pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They'd probably be about the same as far as I'm concerned. I think the Broncos success is tied in more to the system than Cutler. Heck, you talk about their "lack of a run game" but they were 12th or so in the league in rushing if memory serves.

They're both young QBs with good strong arms that had/have shown promise at the end of a fantasy-football-friendly season. If Cutler wasn't drafted in the 1st round a few years back, I doubt this would be as big news. It seems to add to the glamor.
i dont think they will be at same at all. Anderson couldnt even lead a team with the weapons like Lewis, Edwards, Winslow, Stalworth

Sig by BK

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
i dont think they will be at same at all. Anderson couldnt even lead a team with the weapons like Lewis, Edwards, Winslow, Stalworth
Why do you say he couldn't lead them? He got them to 10-6 in a tough division. If that's not leading a team, how is going 8-8 in a crappy division?

Besides, Denver's rushing game was about the same as Cleveland's, and Marshall/Royal was about the same as Edwards/Winslow. They're very comparable.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Why do you say he couldn't lead them? He got them to 10-6 in a tough division. If that's not leading a team, how is going 8-8 in a crappy division?

Besides, Denver's rushing game was about the same as Cleveland's, and Marshall/Royal was about the same as Edwards/Winslow. They're very comparable.
if they are comparable then how come Anderson couldnt lead the Browns?

Sig by BK

Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season?
It's not just a matter of what he has done. It's also a matter of what he can do. Anyone that is objective, and has watched both players, would say that Cutler is a vastly superior talent. It's not even the same ballpark. Anderson was drafted in the 6th round for a reason. Cutler gets more attention for a reason. Anderson couldn't draw a 2nd rounder to save his life. It's not some massive conspiracy that everyone doesn't see but you. It's just a matter of value and talent.

Quote:
Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.
This is such terrible logic, which is why I was flippant with you in the first place.

Here, let me try:

When O.J. Simpson was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a waitress from a Beverly Hills nightclub.

When John Elway was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a former Oakland Raiders cherleader.

AND LOOK AT HOW O.J. SIMPSON TURNED OUT!!! ZOMG!! JOHN ELWAY IS GOING TO MURDER HIS WIFE!! HOW AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THIS!?!?!

If I seem tired, I am. It's a waste of everyone's time to deal with these dumbass arguments. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it requires a separate thread for you to sort out your incoherent thoughts.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
if they are comparable then how come Anderson couldnt lead the Browns?
Lead the Browns to what? You keep talking about leading, but I don't know what you're referring to. The playoffs? IDK, the same reason Cutler didn't I guess....
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
It's not just a matter of what he has done. It's also a matter of what he can do. Anyone that is objective, and has watched both players, would say that Cutler is a vastly superior talent. It's not even the same ballpark. Anderson was drafted in the 6th round for a reason.
First of all, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. What round someone was drafted in makes no difference to how well they do in the league, only how many credentials they had going in.

Second, how is it not the same ballpark? Both made the Pro-Bowl, both led high octane offenses. I'll admit that Cutler has a higher ceiling, but not to the point where he should be hailed as some kind of future Peyton or Tom based soley on throwing 4500 yards.

Quote:
This is such terrible logic, which is why I was flippant with you in the first place.

Here, let me try:

When O.J. Simpson was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a waitress from a Beverly Hills nightclub.

When John Elway was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a former Oakland Raiders cherleader.

AND LOOK AT HOW O.J. SIMPSON TURNED OUT!!! ZOMG!! JOHN ELWAY IS GOING TO MURDER HIS WIFE!! HOW AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THIS!?!?!

If I seem tired, I am. It's a waste of everyone's time to deal with these dumbass arguments. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it requires a separate thread for you to sort out your incoherent thoughts.
Again, I never said he would bust. You're making inferences based on the fact that you don't appreciate someone questioning what your team did. The point is that instead of acting like he's a holy grail that the city of Chicago has finally found for the first time since McMahon, people should look at it objectively and realize that there's a DECENT POSSIBILITY he will not pan out.

Saying there is a possibility is not saying it will happen. The only one jumping to conclusions here is you.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Lead the Browns to what? You keep talking about leading, but I don't know what you're referring to. The playoffs? IDK, the same reason Cutler didn't I guess....
lead them to wins? lead them to at least a decent record? lead them to almost making the playoffs? keep them in contention all year long

Sig by BK

Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
I'll admit that Cutler has a higher ceiling, but not to the point where he should be hailed as some kind of future Peyton or Tom based soley on throwing 4500 yards.
That's interesting. Since you seem so convinced that Cutler has been overhyped, some examples of such talk may be helpful.

Quote:
Again, I never said he would bust. You're making inferences based on the fact that you don't appreciate someone questioning what your team did.
No, I'm making inferences because your argument is awful. It has no logic behind it. What the **** does Derek Anderson have to do with Jay Cutler? You could draw connections between almost anything and anyone (for example, John Elway and O.J. Simpson

Quote:
Saying there is a possibility is not saying it will happen. The only one jumping to conclusions here is you.
What conclusions have I jumped to? Other than your argument is a complete logical fallacy.

An argument could easily be made that Jay Cutler has become overrated (especially on here). You've just completely failed to do it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
lead them to wins? lead them to at least a decent record? lead them to almost making the playoffs? keep them in contention all year long
You're confusing my point. I'm talking about 2007 DA, not 2008. The whole point of this post is the similarities between the 07 offseason, and how much hype DA was getting after his first Pro Bowl season, and the 08 offseason, and how much hype Cutler is getting after his first Pro Bowl season.

The fact that he did so bad this year is why I'm saying people shouldn't just blindly buy into Cutler in Chicago, because for all we know it's very possible (not necessarily likely, but definitely possible) that he too will regress the next year, like DA.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're confusing my point. I'm talking about 2007 DA, not 2008. The whole point of this post is the similarities between the 07 offseason, and how much hype DA was getting after his first Pro Bowl season, and the 08 offseason, and how much hype Cutler is getting after his first Pro Bowl season.

The fact that he did so bad this year is why I'm saying people shouldn't just blindly buy into Cutler in Chicago, because for all we know it's very possible (not necessarily likely, but definitely possible) that he too will regress the next year, like DA.
when did you state you were talkin about the 07 season?

Sig by BK

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
That's interesting. Since you seem so convinced that Cutler has been overhyped, some examples of such talk may be helpful.
Go back into this very forum, let alone all the Bears forums (which I frequent since they're my 2nd favorite NFC team). It's filled with talk about how he's going to lead them to a Superbowl.

Quote:
No, I'm making inferences because your argument is awful. It has no logic behind it. What the **** does Derek Anderson have to do with Jay Cutler? You could draw connections between almost anything and anyone (for example, John Elway and O.J. Simpson
Because unlike comparing Elway and Simpson, Cutler and DA are actually very similar, as I've said over and over in this topic. Don't start flipping out and getting angry the point you feel the need to cuss just because you refuse to see the connections. Both had a good season, both carried lofty expectations into the next year. Seeing DA bust is a perfect example of why it's better to be cautious when attempting to anoint Cutler as one of the next great franchise QBs.

Quote:
What conclusions have I jumped to? Other than your argument is a complete logical fallacy. An argument could easily be made that Jay Cutler has become overrated (especially on here). You've just completely failed to do it.
You jumped the conclusion I was saying Cutler would bust, which, if you would actually read anything I've said in this topic, is not the case. Stop being so defensive, take a chill pill, and actually read what is in front of you.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
when did you state you were talkin about the 07 season?
Literally the first sentence of my topic.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Literally the first sentence of my topic.
oh damn haha
so didnt see the "prio to last season" part

Sig by BK

Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 AM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

Quote:
oh damn haha
so didnt see the "prio to last season" part
It's all good. Most arguments come from a misunderstanding afterall.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

because cutler is a franchise qurterback and anderson was fluke\one year wonder, yea you can point to cutlers record and say it isnt good but he had one of the worst defenses in the league, and the defenses best player(champ bailey) didn't even play the whole year, theres really one stat that can clear this whole thing up and its that cutler is something like 16-1 when the defense didn't give up more than 20 points, jeez haha you cant do it all by yourself

P.S- haha sorry didnt see the 07 season either my bad

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Well first of all that a QB has such a great season like DA had in 2007 and totaly collapses the year after is the exception, not the rule. The reasonning you are making has no logic to it at all. Billy is a boy and has red hair, Bobby is a boy too so does he have red hair too???

Then Jay Cutler has more then one big year behind him. His abilities where recognized comming out of Vanderbilt and he was a 1st round pick. He struggled a little bit as a rookie but still produced a lot of plays, so-so his 2nd year but again made a lot of good plays and then boom 3rd year he is carrying that whole team under his shoulders.

There is no doubt in my mind that Jay Cutler is the most physicaly gifted QB in the NFL today. Not the best or most talented, but as far as overall athletism, arm strength, the type of passes he completes that most others only dream of, maybe Jamarcus Russell could match him soon but as of now he is alone in his class.

Last edited by Raider_fan_Canada : 04-15-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote