Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

MJD is amazing. MJD is the reason I'm so psyched about bradshaw because ahmad runs like MJD with lower top speed, same explosiveness and same ferociousness.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow didn't he only say this a week ago? That was fast.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.
The key is that the deal is only 4 years. While there's alot of money involved, the length of the contract gives the team some room to manuever around a possible slip-up.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Portis is really the only RB that I would say has done well after his big time new contract.
But I agree about giving RB's a lot of money. Especially one who has rarely started. Michael Turner's production amazed me because I thought he'd bust ala Lamont Jordan. While I do think Turner won't be as productive next year, he still is better than I thought he would be.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.
LT really is the only exception to that rule.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
MJD is amazing. MJD is the reason I'm so psyched about bradshaw because ahmad runs like MJD with lower top speed, same explosiveness and same ferociousness.
i disagree.

:)

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Jags don't plan on using MDJ as KR/PR still that would be over kill IMO they need to keep him fresh as a RB.