Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Holt signs with Jags

3 years 20 Million - per ESPN's Michael Smith.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well they gave Jerry Porter 10 million dollars for one year, so I guess they've got nowhere to go but up.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

7mil isnt that bad
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holt will probably never see the money in that third year. I'm guessing he got 7 mil in guarantees and has a big roster bonus and base salary for the third year.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.
I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.
I woudln't go quite that far. If '01 Holt was on the market he'd be making well more than what this Holt got.

It's not an awful contract by any means. Like I said, you compare this to the Jerry Porter deal and it's a jackpot.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.
Well not really "iffy" I guess but think of it this way, if he struggles to make much on an impact, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise, would it? And the Jags said they're apparently not signing those types of FA's after last offseason.

BTW someone mentioned on another forum the deal has no signing bonus, just a guaranteed 2009 base salary? In that case he can be cut freely next offseason if need be. 2010 and 2011 is fluff money. So it's not quite like the Porter signing and is fairly low risk.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good signing by the Jaguars. I wish Torry the best of luck!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.
The poster above explained it. There's no signing bonus so if he's cut it won't hurt their cap. They have him under contract for three years, yes, but if he shows decline they'll simply cut him with no detriment.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.
I think the only way we would take a LT is if Monroe fell to us at #8. My personal preference is to get B.J. Raji, but I would have no problem at all with Monroe, Maclin, Crabtree, or Jenkins.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to be weird seeing Holt in a Jags jersey

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

cdf_2108 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is kind of like the contract extension the Pats gave to Moss, except his was for 3 years, 27 million.

Obviously a much safer signing than Jerry Porter.

Torry Holt is extremely hardworking and takes cares of his body better than anybody in the offseason. He might not be the dominant form of old but he'll earn his contract on the playing field so long as he stays healthy.

I think this makes the Jags pick very interesting. Maybe they draft Raji and pair him up with Henderson ala Marcus Stroud, pretty good value for him at #8. The only OT left might be Michael Oher at that spot and I don't know if you pull the trigger on Oher in the top 10.

I still don't buy the Sanchez hype with Jacksonville, they signed Garrard to a 6 year 60 million extension a year and a half ago.

They could still go WR as they lost Wilford, Williams, and Jones so there's still a need, even with the Holt signing.

My guess is Maclin/Crabtree or Raji.

Last edited by cdf_2108 : 04-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.
cdf_2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

woooooooooo.

yeah, I'm not worried about the money at all. Like BF51 said, Porter got 10 million a year.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there are little to no signing bonuses then this is a solid deal. Allows the Jags to just cut him if and when his play starts to rapidly decline.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf_2108 View Post
Torry Holt is extremely hardworking and takes cares of his body better than anybody in the offseason.
Sure as heck not better than Terrell Owens.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Well they also signed Tra Thomas this offseason so they have two short term solutions at LT with Thomas and now at WR with Holt. My bet would be on Raji right now, but I wouldn't rule out Sanchez or Maclin either. I doubt Crabtree and Monroe fall to them at 8 and I'm not even sure if Maclin will make it past Oakland. With the extension they just gave Garrard I doubt they'll take Sanchez. I think their expressed interest in him is more of a smoke screen.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this rule out Maclin at #9 if he's still on the board or is he still very much in the running?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Does this rule out Maclin at #9 if he's still on the board or is he still very much in the running?
Maclin at 9 is completely out of the question.

At 8 there might still be a chance.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.

I hate the Jags, but this is a good move. They should still draft Maclin and let him come in as a #2, so he doesn't have all the added pressure of performing amazingly well from the get-go.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Un Bastardo!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering the rumblings coming out of Jacksonville that the Jaguars are considering a gradual transition into a 3-4 defense, picking Raji makes a lot of sense now.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote