Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Niners, Broncos
Old 03-07-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Raiders arent losers in this FA.ALot of these players are being grossly overpaid.By not going out and paying a large investment in anybody they are saving cap space.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Microphon200 smells like sex panther.

I'd have to go with the 49ers, even though they overpaid Nate Clements by $30 million dollars. Also, they lost out on Thomas and signed Banat-Cain instead.
Microphon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphon200 View Post
I'd have to go with the 49ers, even though they overpaid Nate Clements by $30 million dollars. Also, they lost out on Thomas and signed Banat-Cain instead.
Thomas didnt want to be with SF, according to peter king.

"The only other serious contender for Thomas' services was San Francisco. Everything about the 49ers interested Thomas, except the locale. "If it was all about money,'' San Francisco coach Mike Nolan told me Saturday, "I don't think we would have been outbid. But in the process of interviewing him Friday and him talking to me, I could see that some of the things I wanted to see happen weren't going to happen. I think geography had something to do with it.''

It was clear what he meant. If the 49ers were going to pay Thomas $8 or $9 million a year -- which the 49ers may have been willing to do if, like Clements, Thomas was willing to move lock, stock and barrel to the Bay Area -- it shouldn't be too much to ask that the player becomes a member of the community. Nolan likes his players to be in the area for the 14-week offseason strength and conditioning program, beginning March 19. He can't make it mandatory, but if a free agent tells him it's a problem, that's going to be a factor.

Thomas couldn't lie to Nolan, his former Baltimore defensive coordinator. He didn't want to move West, nor did he want to leave his family 3,000 miles away for four months. Thomas, from rural Mississippi, has grown to love the energy of the East, as has his family, and Foxboro was infinitely more preferable than Santa Clara.

"There was a good bit of interest from us,'' Nolan said, "but at the end of the day, New England's a better fit for him. What he wanted -- lifestyle, family concerns, a winning franchise -- he got in New England.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../thomas/1.html
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

sup3rk1ng hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
I do believe that the 49ers are trying to land themselves back in cap hell in the future.
Quote:
"Word of caution to all fans out there: Don't believe the contract numbers being thrown around for the free agents being signed.

Here's why: They're usually pumped up by the agent.

When safety Michael Lewis signed with the 49ers over the weekend, it was reported as a deal that included $10 million in guarantees. But, according to figures obtained by CBS SportsLine.com, the deal has almost $10 million in roster bonuses -- not guarantees.

Lewis will get a roster bonus of $3.5 million this season, and then if he plays well, he'll get one $3.5 next season and $3 million in 2009. If he doesn't play well, the 49ers can cut him without paying the last two.

That reported $80 million deal for 49ers corner Nate Clements includes loads of funny money. It is a back-loaded deal with high base salary numbers that he will never see.

Clements received a $10 million signing bonus, which is good, but the last three years total $34 million in base salary. There is no way he ever plays for that kind of money.

Some of the other deals reported are as fluffy as those two. That's what agents do. They make their deals look better than they really are, but a closer look shows how false those numbers can be. "
http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...entry/10030961

Edit - On a side note, Michael Smith just reported that the saints and niners are trying to trade for Darrell Jackson. Accoring to the smith, the niners are the favorites to land him, despite being in the same division. I wasn't sure if this deserved its own topic since it's a rumor.

Last edited by sup3rk1ng : 03-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.
sup3rk1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Too early for this topic.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
Gotta throw the titans in the loser mix so far. weve lost travis henry, bobby wade, drew bennett and will probably lose pacman before its said and done, and we are yet to sign any new players. but we resigned kerry collins!
Yeah i would throw us in the loser mix....

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winner- Denver

Loser- Giants
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think the bucs are winner, not the number one team, but they improved dramatically
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Winners - Pats, Browns.

Browns got the best OL in FA (steinbach) and now a solid RB, now that injuries from last year are gone (Lewis). We also got a starting caliber OLB and a bum CB that I think stinks.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I love being a FA loser. Absolutely love it. Because FA WINNERS are usually REGULAR SEASON LOSERS. Remember that.

I LOVE the redskins not bein on that list cause its the truth
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers = winners

we have not over paid anyone yet, and we got rid of porter, thus making us the winner
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
omecool20

I am happy that the skins are not the winners of FA so far ;-) ... gotta put the Niners as the big winner. 2nd would be the Pats.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
Steelers = winners

we have not over paid anyone yet, and we got rid of porter, thus making us the winner
Haha, same for the Bengals. We haven't overpaid for anyone and we had the pleasure of Tory James' contract running out.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
Too early for this topic.

and your avatar is too big for this forum but im not complaining now am i...well, forget this last statement in a way :)

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Haha, same for the Bengals. We haven't overpaid for anyone and we had the pleasure of Tory James' contract running out.
who woulda thought i would agree with a BENGALS fan, hahaha

but yeah in all honesty i really think the winners are those who are not spending huge $$ for (mostly) average players
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Kurve
Veteran

Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
raiders are losers on losing out on the top linemen and garcia
How so? Lets see from years past thats all Al did was bring in old washed up players or outcasts that other teams didnt want and pay them top dollar, and look where that lead the team to become. I think this is a great move that al didnt spent high amount on old players because i think he has faith in his young talent and this upcoming draft to get what he needs. Garcia come on he had a great 2nd half of the year but remember he only does well in a WCO yes we hired Knapp as a OC but remember Kiffin is calling the plays and im not sure if i could consider his style a WCO. I dont feel that the raiders are losers i mean they didnt go after these average players which these other teams are willing to spend high amount of dollars for.
Kurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Jets = Winners thus far (It's too early to really tell, you know?)

Trading cheaply for Thomas Jones and not even giving up a pick, just moving down.

Cut overpaid players like Ramsey and Blaylock...

Not overspending on big names...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by critesy View Post
and your avatar is too big for this forum but im not complaining now am i...well, forget this last statement in a way :)

Hey now, seriously who has a winners and losers topic less than a week into the FA season?

That's like a Winners and Losers article at the end of the first round of the draft.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I find it HILARIOUS how Clayton thinks Lelie will help out the 49ers in the red zone. Freakin HILARIOUS becuase Lelie is HORRIBLE in the red zone, downright HORRIBLE.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Winner- Denver

Loser- Giants

I know you are an Eagles fan, but I don't see how you can really consider the Giants losers. How can they be anymore losers than the Eagles. They have both done the same, which is nothing. The deal we signed O'Hara to is an absolute steal considering this market. We basically signed him for the same deal the Vikings signed our backup TE who had 12 catches last year for.

Giants have guys interested in playing here. But they aren't going to give out the type of money other teams are. It seems to be making for long negotiations. Both Rhodes and Hood seem to want to come here but we aren't offering the crazy money they want. We are offering them deals below what this crazy market would consider fair. Which is fine with me. I'm not mortaging the future cap for what seems to be an extremely lackluster FA group.

Also the Giants seem to have now thrown their hat into possible negotations to trade for Dre Bly. Along with New Orleans.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:19 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winner Pats- barring injury With AT they will be the number one defense next year.

Losers- Miami Dolphins, I think he will be solid for a year or two but the contract that they gave Porter is absurd
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The 49ers and the Patriots have hit the jack pot. There the winners.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For everybody that's freaking out that their team isn't signing anybody: trust me. Wait until after the draft. Many, many teams in the NFL still draft by needs. Plus, the talent in free agency is such crap, I highly doubt if you're going to find a player of any more quality than you would if you'd just wait a month. If anything, he'll probably come cheaper.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winners thus far:
49ers
Broncos
Dolphins
Patriots
Texans

Seahawks

Losers thus far:
Packers
Raiders
Ravens
Rams