Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

cdf_2108 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Why don't we talk about Robert Ayers?

I was just reading Mike Reiss' blog. He's doing that sports writers mock draft and Robert Ayers (along with Maualuga) were available at 23 and he picked Ayers.

Jerod Mayo is very high on the potential of his old teammate being a great pro and I can't help but give a lot of credit to the praise of Mayo considering he knows both the Patriots and Tennessee very well.

I like Ayers a lot too and Mayock says he might be the best defensive player in this entire draft 2 years from now.

One of those picks I wouldn't mind although I'm still hoping Maualuga falls to 23!!

Last edited by cdf_2108 : 04-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.
cdf_2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ayers doesn't get talked about because although he would project to convert from DE to OLB in the Pats defense he is not considered among the great pass rushers in this draft.

I look at it a bit differently. While he may not be as good a pure pass rusher as say a Brown or Maybin or English, I contend that he is a better all around player. He played inside as a DT, outside as a DE, and even stood up and played outside as an OLB (not a lot but on occasion). He is a very stout player against the run, much moreso than the other three. While I have had my doubts as to how effective he would be as strictly an OLB, I have changed my thinking a bit. Because he is the biggest of the DE/OLB's in this draft, he may project very well to be a Willie McGinest type of OLB. In fact if he could add just a little weight, like 10 pounds, he could probably be used in different positions. For example he could play up as an OLB and be effective on the edge stuffing the run like Vrabel or McGinest, but then he could also play up on the line outside, perhaps with his hand down in pass rushing situations. His experience all along the defensive front makes me think they could even stick him in there as a 4th down lineman if they want to start mixing up the D-Line formations like they used to when they were winning Super Bowls. If he can do even some of these things early in his career I believe he is athletic enough to learn to play in coverage just like McGinest and Vrabel did over time.

At first I was thinking he should be picked strictly as a 4-3 DE, but the more I thought about it the more I think he could be a great pick for the Pats. And putting him together with his former teammate Mayo (assuming they like each other and I have no reason to believe they don't) could potentially help him really develop into a solid player for the Pats. If they got him at 23 I would be all for it.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

Nice reply, I like your analysis. I think Larry English is maxed out and I just don't see him ever being that much better than Shawn Crable (who the jury is still out on, but let's not confuse him with Willie MCG). I think Maybin is gonna be the next in the long line of Penn State pass rushers who get mauled in Running situations and who aren't as quick as they looked against college tackles.

Everette Brown I actually like as much as Ayers as he seems a lot more stout and is probably the best pure pass rusher in the draft.

The wild-card with Ayers is the Tennessee connection and if Mayo is high on this guy, I gotta give him credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
My 2009 New England Patriots Anti-Draft
1. Anybody but Aaron Maybin
2a. Anybody but Connor Barwin or James Laurinaitis
2b. Anybody but Jarron Gilbert
2c. Anybody but Pat White
3a. Anybody but James Casey
3b. Anybody but Troy Kropog or Jasper Brinkley (but I'll take Brinkley later thank you)
Like this anti-draft, I will shoot someone if we get Maybin.
I agree with most that Barwin is a reach until around the 50-60 range although I wouldn't mind Lauriantis at that spot as he is a much more established player with lots of starting experience. Don't know if he could play the "thumper" role that would be required...whcih is why I hope we get Maualuga.

I would take Pat white in the 3rd round and I think Mike Reiss is rarely off but he's dead wrong for having us pick him at 34...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf_2108 View Post
The wild-card with Ayers is the Tennessee connection and if Mayo is high on this guy, I gotta give him credit.
You gotta believe they are asking Mayo everything he could possibly know about Ayers and also asking him how well he thinks Ayers could learn and fit into the Pats D based on his own experience doing the same last year.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally would love Ayers at 23 if Maualuga were not available, but after Maualuga I think Everette Brown and Ayers are the next best options. If there were quality ILB probably to be available at 34 I would say take Ayers over Maualuga, but the fact of the matter is that we should take Maualuga if available because there will be some good OLBs available at 34.

Ayers is just so talented, and you must remember he was brought to Tennessee (and started out) as a MLB. He has a lot of positional versatility and I could definitely see us taking him.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
IIf there were quality ILB probably to be available at 34 I would say take Ayers over Maualuga
With reference to the quality ILB available at 34, are you talking about Laurianitis perhaps, Cushing (since he projects to be inside)?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf_2108 View Post
With reference to the quality ILB available at 34, are you talking about Laurianitis perhaps, Cushing (since he projects to be inside)?
No, I could have worded that better. What I'm trying to say is that there will most likely be a few quality OLB available at 34. Maualuga is the best fit for us at ILB and there is a huge dropoff after him. That is why if Maualuga is available at 23 I think we should take him then look to add an OLB at 34.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see Rey or Ayers making it to 23. Too many teams need DE and Rey could go as high as 9 to the Jags.

Ayers would be nice, and to be honest I didn't realize Mayo was talking him up so much. That is pretty interesting b/c Ayers definitely looks like he could be a stud. I'm officially intrigued . . . but still don't think he makes it to 23.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think this is much of an issue considering how much Ayers stock has inflated over the past few month but I would be pissed if we ended up with Ayers. What does he do to help us? I really just don't see him projecting to OLB that cleanly. He's not that athletic. He's a good player who is probably going to be a better pro than college player...but he doesn't rush the passer well and he isn't fluid enough to be great in coverage. So we spend our first rounder on a guy who can stuff the run and do nothing against passing? Seems real smart to me. Let him go somewhere and play left end. That's where he's at his best. The Ayers to OLB talk really stems from his late rise and people looking a bit too hard for people to play that position. He could probably do it, but it wouldn't be the best fit for him and the team who put him at that spot would probably be at a disadvantage. Waste of a pick if we pick him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1 year wonder

His own coach said Ayers "thought he was gods gift to football"

Terrible, terrible bench press for someone his size.

I think Ayers will bust.