Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
bills_red
Veteran

bills_red needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohleive View Post
I heard it was just this years 3rd and 7th like 5 minutes ago (1:25) on ESPN radio. Take it for what its worth. I wouldn't trust any of statements on picks yet.

"The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008."
From ESPN.com
bills_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
More than likely, McGahee will get a an extension, and probably one similar, if not greater, than Jones. The Ravens aren't likely to do that deal for a one year rental.

The argument against the system statement would be that, Jones succeeded under two different systems, with Shea, and with Ron Turner. And under Turner, it can be argued that Jones wasn't

a) utilized enough.
b) utilized correctly.

And yet, Jones still produced, and he also had an inconsistent passing game around him.

I actually like McGahee. I'm not trying to bash him, but so far in his career, he's shown a bit of an ego and a lack of production to warrant much love. I think he can still have a great career ... but over his first 3 years, I don't see much to warrant a lot of love for him. Decent back, but only moderately better than, say, what Anthony Thomas did in Chicago early on (not saying they are close in talent, as Willis has far more talent, but potential gets you drafted, productivity gets you the love). Plenty of backs have been in similarly poor situations are were able to put up a respectable YPC and also carry a heavier burden of the team, while establishing themselves as a leader. McGahee has done none of that so far.
Jones' success under Shea's system was more of a recieving option as I recall he didn't even crack the 1,000 yard mark (albeit that offense was dogshit so he gets a major pass in that regard).

In terms of potential/productivy vis-a-vis drafted/love, I'm assuming this is by your own barometer as Leonard Davis getting 20 mil guaranteed pretty much debunks that.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_red View Post
"The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008."
From ESPN.com
The point is that I've heard conflicting reports, so I wouldn't trust anything yet, but, like I said, take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=3296

You're way too late on this one.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post

Except the parameters of the deal were way off.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

i think the Bills got the best of this deal..they could be in position to trade up now and possibly pick up AP. They have many picks now and would be able to bunch them up to move up. I hope they do...but i also wont be upset if they picked up lynch.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the Bills in the position to draft AD -- although, Lynch would be a really good fit there. If all else, they can try to either pick up a FA like Michael Turner, Corey Dillion, Dominic Rhodes, etc. or just draft a RB in the later rounds like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Brandon Jackson, etc.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I don't see the Bills in the position to draft AD -- although, Lynch would be a really good fit there. If all else, they can try to either pick up a FA like Michael Turner, Corey Dillion, Dominic Rhodes, etc. or just draft a RB in the later rounds like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Brandon Jackson, etc.
By later rounds you mean the 2nd and 3rd round then?

And Brian Leonard will be the best HB out of this class. Look at his natural field vision, his production, his workout numbers (better field runner than both Lynch and Peterson).
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Jones' success under Shea's system was more of a recieving option as I recall he didn't even crack the 1,000 yard mark (albeit that offense was dogshit so he gets a major pass in that regard).

In terms of potential/productivy vis-a-vis drafted/love, I'm assuming this is by your own barometer as Leonard Davis getting 20 mil guaranteed pretty much debunks that.
Yes, it is my own barometer, as it is for everyone, but I'm not referencing money in any way shape or form. I'm referencing productivity as my basis. I don't believe Willis' productivity over his 3 years so far in Buffalo warrants the amount of value/love that Jones received.

Jones had 948 yards rushing over 14 games, and 427 yards receiving. While those certainly weren't elite numbers, I think that can be qualified as having had a successful season, but once again, that is for each to decide.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
That would be correct.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

This is one of the greatest days for me as a Ravens fan. I can't say how happy I am right now. Willis has been one of my favorite players since he was drafted, and it's almost a dream come true that he is on my favorite team. We got an amazing steal as I feel McGahee will be a beast with us.

WELCOME TO BALTIMORE WILLIS

Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
That would be correct.

Just making sure, because usually when someone says "later rounds" they mean the later rounds, and not the first day. =P
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bills_red
Veteran

bills_red needs more cowbell.

Jets fans love this trade.....lol
bills_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:

And Brian Leonard will be the best HB out of this class. Look at his natural field vision, his production, his workout numbers (better field runner than both Lynch and Peterson).
Blind homer alert.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

no questions about whether they draft a RB. Im not sure if they try to pick up a back in FA, cuz i think that drafting a RB to split time with Anthony Thomas is solid. Thomas is underrated, and i think that he filled in nicely when mcgahee went down last year. Thomas could start out getting teh bulk of the carries, and as the season goes along they could work the rookie into it. i like the way this team is headed, and i think its in the right direction.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

toonster -

How is the total package worth only a mid-to-late 3rd rounder?

According to the trade value chart, the trade is worth anywhere from the 50th pick overall (18th pick in 2nd Round) to the 68th pick overall (4th pick in the 3rd round).

I like the value we got actually. No matter how you put it, we got 3 draft picks out of it. That's huge for us because we make our draft picks count (6 rookies started out of last year and every one made the 53 man roster).
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_red View Post
Jets fans love this trade.....lol

Yeah we do, McGahee is a Jets' killer, has been since he came to Buffalo.

The only thing better than sending him to Baltimore would have been sending him to Detroit.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Also, watch out for Michael Turner on the Bills radar now.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
Blind homer alert.
If Leonard weren't white, he'd be a mid first rounder.

The NFL is more anti White RB than they are anti Black QB.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
Also, watch out for Michael Turner on the Bills radar now.

Oh! Trade your first for him please! Please!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

can someone plaease explain to me what the exact picks that the Bills got were. Im hearing a 3rd and a 7th for this year and a 3rd for next year. I also heard that the Bills were picking up a 2nd this year. anyone????
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh! Trade your first for him please! Please!
What do you mean by this?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well we wasted a 3rd and 7th this year, and a 3rd next year, no 2nds involved.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
can someone plaease explain to me what the exact picks that the Bills got were. Im hearing a 3rd and a 7th for this year and a 3rd for next year. I also heard that the Bills were picking up a 2nd this year. anyone????
We got the Ravens 3rd rounder this year (#92 overall), 7th rounder (#220) and their 3rd Rounder last year (TBD).

According to the trade value chart, the trade package is worth anywhere from the 50th pick overall (18th pick in 2nd Round) to the 68th pick overall (4th pick in the 3rd round). The package is contingent on how the Ravens do next year (where their 3rd rounder will be in the draft). If I were to guess, I'd say that we are getting the value of a late 2nd round pick for McGahee.

However, I am glad that we got this value in 3 picks than in just 1, because we are a little short on picks this year and we can get some players that fit the Tampa 2 later in the draft due to the scheme itself. Plus, we obviously made our picks count last year in the draft! (6 rookies started and every one made the 53 man roster on opening day)

Last edited by art vandelay : 03-08-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
What do you mean by this?
thats what the chargers are asking to give him up.