Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One year for every pick he threw in the playoff game.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This move annoys me. I've never thought Jake Delhomme was a good QB, so for the team to extend him and give him that much cash hits a nerve. The ONLY way this move gets justified is if they're clearing cap space to make a move that no one saw coming.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
This move annoys me. I've never thought Jake Delhomme was a good QB, so for the team to extend him and give him that much cash hits a nerve. The ONLY way this move gets justified is if they're clearing cap space to make a move that no one saw coming.
That move was probably just not trading Peppers.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
That move was probably just not trading Peppers.
That would imply at some point they thought that a deal would actually be worked out to trade Peppers, and if that's the case they're bigger clowns than I thought.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

20mill in guaranteed money isn't terrible for a middle of the road QB. Jake isn't going to win many games on his own and he'll probably cost us one or two in a season, but for the other 14 he's a good game manager and this will keep him in Carolina for the remainder of his career spending probably a bunch of those years (I think he's got MAX 2 years) on the bench.

From what I've heard the 42.5 million includes 20 million in straight bonus money which will be 4mill against the cap per year. The other 22 million is made up of base salary, LTBE bonuses (Which are always counted against the cap) and incentives.

42.5 is the maximum he can possibly cost the team over the next 5 years.

He's more likely to cost the team under 8.5 million a year which isn't that painful.

The team needed to sign him because he was heading into the final year of his deal and it frees up a bit of cap space to sign some draft picks.

This isn't a bad move for the team, it's not a move forward and I openly have stated my wish here fore a new QB, so save the homer hate, it's just a sideways move so the team has some form of security at Quarterback for the next few years and some added space to move around this year.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

damn, sucks for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
20mill in guaranteed money isn't terrible for a middle of the road QB.
i wouldn't like giving 10 million guaranteed for a middle of the road qb.

RIP ST

Last edited by Shahin : 04-23-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Oh dear, Carolina.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
this will keep him in Carolina for the remainder of his career spending probably a bunch of those years (I think he's got MAX 2 years) on the bench.

[...]

He's more likely to cost the team under 8.5 million a year which isn't that painful.
So, you're advocating spending 8.5 p.a. on a backup QB at some point?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wouldn't even call him a middle of the road qb, now that i think about it.

RIP ST
Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'll cut him in 3 years, next year Panthers are going to draft a qb.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Panthers resign Jake Delhomme for 5 years ...(chuckle)...

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Blindsite, you're justifying giving a guy that based on your own post, you expect to cost you 2 games a year, isn't going to singlehandedly win you any games, and that won't start but 2 years of the contract 20 million guaranteed?

What color is the sky in your world?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

jay cutler's #1 fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Blindsite, you're justifying giving a guy that based on your own post, you expect to cost you 2 games a year, isn't going to singlehandedly win you any games, and that won't start but 2 years of the contract 20 million guaranteed?

Panther Blue apparently...
jay cutler's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
damn, sucks for you guys.

i wouldn't like giving 10 million guaranteed for a middle of the road qb.
You must be pissed about Campbell then huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
So, you're advocating spending 8.5 p.a. on a backup QB at some point?
It won't be that much.

The contract figures released every year when someone signs include every single dollar that can possibly be earned in that period. There's likely clauses in their for playoff appearances, games played, yards, TDs, INTs, efficiency that he's never going to hit.

The only thing we know about his contract is the team will get hit with 4 million in cap money no matter what (pro-ration of the bonus) + whatever his base salary is, THEN whatever bonus he gets.

If he's a backup he'll likely cost 5.5 or 6 million which isn't too bad and thats only on the provision that the team doesn't extend him in that time or cut him altogether. All we know right now is Carolina has a serviceable QB in some capacity for 5 more years. How long he stays and how much he costs the team and in what capacity is unknown and isn't a reason the team's front office should be criticised.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:

What I advocated was having some stability at the position for the next five years. I didn't say Delhomme was my savior or even that I WANTED him. Because I don't and I've posted extensively about that.

I'm saying the team is making a sideways move that is, staying put until something better comes along.

Like it or not, loving matt moore for what he did in two games doesn't immediately make him the option. Yeah I'd like to see him get a shot, but if he hasn't progressed or is plain and simple, not good enough than the team needs some security. Having Delhomme for 7-8.2 mill a year is a good move for the franchise no matter how you try to say it isn't. An average QB is better than no QB.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

almost as ridonculous as kwame harris' contract last year
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Quote:
You must be pissed about Campbell then huh.
not a skins fan, just a Sean Taylor fan.

as a raiders and bengals fan, i have a lot more to be pissed about.

RIP ST
Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Quote:
Like it or not, loving matt moore for what he did in two games doesn't immediately make him the option. Yeah I'd like to see him get a shot, but if he hasn't progressed or is plain and simple, not good enough than the team needs some security. Having Delhomme for 7-8.2 mill a year is a good move for the franchise no matter how you try to say it isn't. An average QB is better than no QB.
This has nothing to do with Matt Moore. I think he's a disaster waiting to happen and wish other Panther fans would get off that party line.

This has to do with you justifying giving a QB 20 mill guaranteed that clearly isn't worth anywhere near that much. And Jake Delhomme at this point, I wouldn't even call an average QB.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
almost as ridonculous as kwame harris' contract last year
He had 2 bad games last year. One against Tampa and one against Arizona, it's not that terrible of a move to keep a known commodity when there's no affordable upgrade out there.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He had 2 bad games last year. One against Tampa and one against Arizona, it's not that terrible of a move to keep a known commodity when there's no affordable upgrade out there.
true but it is still a lot of money to put on a guy who isnt the focus of your offense anymore
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was going to take that quote out of my sig at some point. I still probably will, but its going to take a lot more to pry it out than it would have before.

Thank you Blindsite.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

jay cutler's #1 fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I was going to take that quote out of my sig at some point. I still probably will, but its going to take a lot more to pry it out than it would have before.

Thank you Blindsite.
Haha that signature is gold.
jay cutler's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This news offsets the bad news of Gonzalez coming to the NFC South
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Blindsite is so pissed that the other Panther fan that's posted in this thread doesn't agree with him, he just hit me with negative reputation and his reason was....

Quote:
Read the post you jackass
Guess he doesn't understand that I read his post and think he's an idiot.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
not a skins fan, just a Sean Taylor fan.

as a raiders and bengals fan, i have a lot more to be pissed about.
Raiders and Bengals, man gee, I'm sorry, remember suicide is never the answer ok?

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Matt Moore. I think he's a disaster waiting to happen and wish other Panther fans would get off that party line.

This has to do with you justifying giving a QB 20 mill guaranteed that clearly isn't worth anywhere near that much. And Jake Delhomme at this point, I wouldn't even call an average QB.
Then answer me this:
If you have a player whose strengths, weaknesses, tendencies and nature you know who has a great chemistry with the players around him who costs you anywhere from 4.7-8 million and only ever 8.2 million if he performs at an amazingly good level and you have approximately 25c in cap space due to a defensive end being a moron why would you get rid of him for players who aren't as good, or won't be as good?

There's no QB on the free agent market right not who know the system or could adapt in time to be an upgrade over Delhomme.

Unless you'd rather we'd signed Losman, or Simms?

There's no one in the draft we can afford to pick up this year either, Bomar is going to cost a second because at the Panthers' draft position 3rd round will be too late.

In that time the team needs to find a replacement nickel cornerback or at least some insurance in case CJ can't fill the role and a guard backup who can play.

This all has to be done at a discount.

This is the best POSSIBLE, PRACTICAL move the team had at it's disposal. The cap this year is something like 118 million dollars. The team at least has some stability at the position, if he wasn't extended he'd have cost the team more this season and been a free agent next year, if he walked we'd have McCown and Moore and that's it.