Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is hilarious. Gives me more reason not to like the Panthers.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I want the panthers to now sign the Rex Cannon and Losman so they can have a trifecta of stupid, big armed QBs who like to make dumb passes. They could just rotate them and hope one of them gets hot, when it fails it'll at least be entertaining, crowds love pick six's.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know Patrick Stewart was a Panther fan. Just look at the poor guy's reaction when he heard this news.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Last edited by E-Man : 04-23-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
42.5 / 5 = 4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
No one told you? We had a meeting about it last week.
We're talking about the bonus and the pro-ration therein...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
hahahahahahahahah, I'm sorry but I just knew this was coming from you...Ironic that everyone sees this as a terrible move except you for the most part, what a shocker.

I originally thought this thread was a joke before I clicked it, when I realized it wasn't I figured you would be somewhere talking about how it's not a bad move lol.
Are you so interested in jumping on me that you don't read.

It's a move to free up money, Delhomme is costing the fanchise less per year now than he did a year ago so the team's not exactly going backwards financially.

Like I pointed out at most it'll be 6% of the cap space to ensure the team remains at least competitive for the next few years at least. Unless 12-4 isn't competitive. It was on the back of the RBs but Delhomme played well in a few games and can only really be blamed for the Arizona meltdown, then again nothing went right that game, on any side of the ball.

I don't like him long term, but there's no possible way carolina can do better this year or next so the move makes sense from that perspective.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
We're talking about the bonus and the pro-ration therein...
Ok, so break it down. How does 42.5 million with 20 million guaranteed break down to 4 million per year (which, of course, assumes he's going to play for the next 6 years which is insane). Seriously, give me the breakdown, because I think you pulled that number completely out of your ass.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

jay cutler's #1 fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I will break you.
jay cutler's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay cutler's #1 fan View Post

I will break you.
that picture is filled with so much roids its not even funny

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It's a move to free up money, Delhomme is costing the fanchise less per year now than he did a year ago so the team's not exactly going backwards financially.

Like I pointed out at most it'll be 6% of the cap space to ensure the team remains at least competitive for the next few years at least. Unless 12-4 isn't competitive. It was on the back of the RBs but Delhomme played well in a few games and can only really be blamed for the Arizona meltdown, then again nothing went right that game, on any side of the ball.

I don't like him long term, but there's no possible way carolina can do better this year or next so the move makes sense from that perspective.
What the Panthers just did is dig a hole to get some dirt to fill another hole. At the end of the day, they're literally gonna have to pay for this idiotic contract, and it may not be this year or next, but they will. Aside from the fact that it clears up cap space (for what, a WHOLE year?), why in the hell would you give that much money, and signing bonus, to a guy who has shown on more than one occasion that his skills are deteriorating at an incredible pace?

Giving him this much money will just sink the franchise in a bigger hole than they already were with him at quarterback. Not only will your salary cap eventually have to pay for this mess, but you're delaying the inevitable, which is finding a young, skilled quarterback to eventually take the position in Carolina.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess the Panthers don't want to be contenders for a while.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Ok, so break it down. How does 42.5 million with 20 million guaranteed break down to 4 million per year (which, of course, assumes he's going to play for the next 6 years which is insane). Seriously, give me the breakdown, because I think you pulled that number completely out of your ass.
We're talking solely about the guaranteed money, the 20 million is spread over the length of the contract as far as cap hit goes. That it what we were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
What the Panthers just did is dig a hole to get some dirt to fill another hole. At the end of the day, they're literally gonna have to pay for this idiotic contract, and it may not be this year or next, but they will. Aside from the fact that it clears up cap space (for what, a WHOLE year?), why in the hell would you give that much money, and signing bonus, to a guy who has shown on more than one occasion that his skills are deteriorating at an incredible pace?

Giving him this much money will just sink the franchise in a bigger hole than they already were with him at quarterback. Not only will your salary cap eventually have to pay for this mess, but you're delaying the inevitable, which is finding a young, skilled quarterback to eventually take the position in Carolina.
We're arguing the same point here.

I think Carolina should've drafted the future at quarterback a long time ago, when the team was competitive and had the time to get one up to speed. Can you imagine for example how well poised the team would be right now with Trent Edwards stepping into the starting role with the backs and offensive line we have?

I know the team isn't doing a damn thing toward the future and I don't think that's a good move, however.

The team's lack of foresight has lead to the team having Matt Moore, who's still an unknown commodity and McCown a career backup as the only options. If Delhomme wasn't given a contract the team wouldn't have the money to sign some depth post draft and wouldn't have had a quaterback into 2010. I don't care what team you're on not having a starting QB is never a good option.

I'll agree Delhomme is turnover prone, has too long a memory and melted down completely against Arizona.

However, there have been times when he's lead the team as recently as last season from being down, to victories. There's been times when he's played extremely well and there's not a player on the team who doesn't support Jake.

Yes, I'd love to have a guy good enough to sling it against Manning and Brady, but instead the team has ensured, that they have a quarterback who at the very least can manage a game efficently and who based on his track record, can lead some comebacks every now and then.

The offense right now is pretty much feed the backs and then feed Smith. It's been pretty successful. people forget so quickly Carolina was 12-4 last year and although he wasn't the focus of the offense he was a big part.

This is an insurance policy more than a move for the future in my opinion the money isn't that high. As I mentioned the cap is up to nearly 130 million and the Panthers have the offensive line, running backs, Smith, secondary and linebackers signed for another 2 seasons. The crux of the 12-4 team is there 21 of 22 starters. Delhomme's contract isn't cripling the team it won't even be a blip on the radar for the front office.

Last edited by BlindSite : 04-23-2009 at 10:53 PM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Delhomme sucks.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Jake Delhomme sucks.
he doesn't suck,
hes jus..... not good..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We're talking solely about the guaranteed money, the 20 million is spread over the length of the contract as far as cap hit goes. That it what we were talking about.
Fail.

You think guaranteed money is the only money that counts against the cap? His base salary is going to count too. Plus, the bonus money only spreads out over the course of the contract if he plays for the full 5 years, which he obviously won't.

This counts more against the cap than you think.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HO.
LY.
CRAP.

This makes me very unhappy, because it means that re-signing Cutler is going to take something like 13 years, 342 million.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:11 AM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A five-year deal? Seriously?!

Isn't Delhomme, like, 36 or something?
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
A five-year deal? Seriously?!

Isn't Delhomme, like, 36 or something?
doesn't matter, Jake is the Highlander.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dear oh Dear. This is just a terrible move for the Panthers. Maybe something like a 2 year, 10 million extension, but 5 years and 42 million is wayyyyy to much.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Dear oh Dear. This is just a terrible move for the Panthers. Maybe something like a 2 year, 10 million extension, but 5 years and 42 million is wayyyyy to much.
he's 34 years old, so chances are he'll retire before the last 2 or 3 years of a season.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote