Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top 10 Football Factories All Time

This is not my list. It was on NFL Network the other day. Many of you have probably seen it as well. Basically it was the top 10 Football Factories of all time in college football. If we're talking currently, a couple of these programs don't belong, and a couple should be lower, but we'll get into that. So, here's NFL Networks list. As a side note, I don't remember the exact order other than the top 5 and #10, but I'm pretty sure this is close:

10.Tennessee
9.The MAC (which is stupid)
8.Syracuse
7.Penn State
6.Alabama
5.Michigan
4.Ohio State
3.Notre Dame
2.Miami
1.USC

So at first blush, if we're talking about today, Syracuse shouldn't be on the list, grouping the MAC is a little weak, and ND is too high (IMO). All time I can understand. So let's look at these teams recently. I'm not including the MAC. It's a little unfair to have an entire conference on the list. This is over the last 10 seasons (1999-2008), not including this draft yet obviously. I'll likely update after the draft this weekend.

EDIT:I only got as far as Alabama before I had to head out. I'll do the last three later.

Tennessee
Players Drafted (1999-2008)-59 players
First Rounders-10 players
Active Players-33
Drafted First Team All Pro-4
Drafted Pro Bowlers-8

Syracuse
Players Drafted-23 players
First Rounders-4 players
Active Players-12
Drafted First Team All Pro-2 (Keith Bulluck(1), Dwight Freeney(2))
Drafted Pro Bowlers-4 (Donovan McNabb(5), Keith Bulluck(1), Dwight Freeney(4), David Tyree(1))

Penn State
Players Drafted-35 players
First Rounders-8 players
Active Players-24
Drafted First Team All Pro-1
Drafted Pro Bowlers-2

Alabama
Players Drafted-32 players
First Rounders-3 players
Active Players-18
Drafted First Team All Pro-2 (Shaun Alexander(1), Le'Ron McClain(1))
Drafted Pro Bowlers-4 (Shaun Alexander(3), Chris Samuels(6), DeMeco Ryans(1), Le'Ron McClain(1))

Michigan
Players Drafted-48 players
First Rounders-8 players
Active Players-41
Drafted First Team All Pro-2 (Tom Brady(1), Steve Hutchinson(4))
Drafted Pro Bowlers-6 (Tom Brady(4), Ian Gold(1), Steve Hutchinson(6), Cato June(1), Braylon Edwards(1), Jake Long(1))

Ohio State
Players Drafted-70 players
First Rounders-17 players
Active Players-36
Drafted Pro Bowlers-6

Notre Dame
Players Drafted-48 players
First Rounders-3 players
Active Players-26
Drafted Pro Bowlers-1

Miami
Players Drafted-65 players
First Rounders-27 players
Active Players-43
Drafted First Team All Pro-6
Drafted Pro Bowlers-18

USC
Players Drafted-56 players
First Rounders-13 players
Active Players-29
Drafted First Team All Pro-2
Drafted Pro Bowlers-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Last edited by ironman4579 : 05-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The date parameters you set are very unfair to Syracuse, who had the arguably the greatest RB of NFL History come out of their school.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
The date parameters you set are very unfair to Syracuse, who had the arguably the greatest RB of NFL History come out of their school.
Of course, which is why they were on the NFL networks list at #8. However, I'm looking at recent history. Even if I go back 20 years it doesn't help Syracuse that much. Recent football factories would not include guys drafted in the 70's or earlier, I'm sorry. Syracuse would not be on a list of current football factories.

Quote:

Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't mean to sound like a homer but there's no way FSU shouldn't be on that list.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST
Don't mean to sound like a homer but there's no way FSU shouldn't be on that list.
You're a homer until you provide data to contradict what's listed in the OP.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Michigan
Cornerbacks who have won the Heisman- 1
Everyone else- 0
Eat it, *******!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
I was a little surprised that NFL network left both FSU and Florida off the list. But IMO there's not much question that Miami should be on there over either of them. And again, it was an all time list. How else to explain Syracuse?

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

As a side note, part of the point of the post was to get some discussion going and to see some peoples lists of who they think are the current/recent top football factories. As for the FSU data, with just a quick look, I'd say it supports them being in the top 10 currently.

Florida State
Players Drafted-59
First Rounders-13
Active Players-33

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Texas needs to be on that list as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas is the only college to have a player drafted in every draft since its creation.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Apriori
Rookie

Apriori hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm a homer, but in the past 10 years I don't see anybody being above Michigan other than Miami.
Apriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Wow - pretty shocked to see SU on there but if you consider their history they definitely should be on the list.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I think if I was doing current (without looking at the number of players drafted, All Pro's etc.) my top 8, in no order, would have something like:

Miami
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Texas
LSU
Florida State
Tennessee (I wouldn't have included them until looking at the above numbers)

Other teams you could make a case for to be in the top 10:

Virginia Tech (23 active players)
UCLA (20)
Purdue (20)
Penn State (24)
Notre Dame (26)
North Carolina (20)
Nebraska (26)
Michigan State (20)
Maryland (20)
Iowa (21)
Georgia (30)
Florida (32)
Cal (25)
Auburn (28)

Quote:

Last edited by ironman4579 : 04-24-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apriori View Post
I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm a homer, but in the past 10 years I don't see anybody being above Michigan other than Miami.
If you're going by quality over quantity, then yeah you have an argument. However, Ohio State and USC churn out good/great NFL prospects like, well, "factories".
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
If you're going by quality over quantity, then yeah you have an argument. However, Ohio State and USC churn out good/great NFL prospects like, well, "factories".
I don't know if you can really say that though, when despite having more players drafted over the last 10 years (Ohio State alot more), they both have less players actually still in the NFL, less/same amount of All Pros, and less/same amount of pro bowlers. To me a good/great NFL prospect sticks around the NFL and isn't out of the league in a few years.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Over the last 10 years ND has no bizz being in any higher then about 20 (since the last big draftee years from ND was like 93 or something) but all time the list looks pretty good to me. To illustrate (although this is not the way the list should be since the last 15ish years will not be taken into account)
Pro Football Hall of Famers per college:
Southern California (11)
Notre Dame (10)
Michigan (8)
Alabama (7)
Illinois (6)
Minnesota (6)
Ohio State (6)
Oregon (6)
Syracuse (6)
Penn State (5)
Southern Methodist (5)

Suprised to see illinois and minnesota where they are. SMU once was big but now not so much, lets see what june jones can do there, he got hawaii playing nice and pretty.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

And for Syracuse you have probably 2 Hall of Famers playing in the NFL right now in McNabb and Harrison (although he might be out of the league soon!) Freeney also probably has a shot at the Hall too so I'd say 3 potential Hall-Of-Famers in the NFL right now for Syracuse.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm watching the top 10 draft classes right now.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
And for Syracuse you have probably 2 Hall of Famers playing in the NFL right now in McNabb and Harrison (although he might be out of the league soon!) Freeney also probably has a shot at the Hall too so I'd say 3 potential Hall-Of-Famers in the NFL right now for Syracuse.
And then... there's Anthony Smith.

Pretty nice success rate of those high picks though, 3/3 on stars.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
Here are the Texas numbers over the past 10 years.

Players Drafted: 38
1st Rounders: 13
Pro-Bowls: 8
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone got numbers for LSU!

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Anyone got numbers for LSU!
LSU last 10 years

Players Drafted: 46
1st Round: 9
Pro Bowl: 2
Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont want to sound like a homer, but shouldnt Miami be ahead of USC.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
In the last 10-20 years... Yes
Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
As said above, if we're talking the last 10-20 years, Miami would be #1 easily, and no one else would be close IMO.

Quote: