Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Grade our draft

C-

hated the Pettigrew pick, hated the Levy pick, and i also did not like the Williams pick. Not a fan of the runningback we got either. Meh overall, we didn't really shore up this defense.

Last edited by LOLitsTomBrady : 04-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent. The defense will be ugly again in 2009.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B+

First day was awesome, and second day filled needs. Only head scratcher was Levy with our first third round pick.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent. The defense will be ugly again in 2009.
Yeah i mean in order to rebuild a team, you need to develop your young guys. We only got 1 guy i liked for the Defense and thats Delmas. But we needed Maulaluga at that 20th pick or even when he slipped in the 2nd round. I mean hes a madman who could have changed the face of our defense...and yet we reach for OLBs and try and put them as ILB. I don't know, im just really not feeling this draft and if we got 3 guys who end up good, i'll be happy. I just feel the "Millen presence" is still strong in Allen park. We just don't know how to draft. I hope im wrong. But im very disappointed in this draft.
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm borderline C+/B-. I know we needed defense but we got a OLB after we just picked one and i wish we would've picked D or O line, but I'm going to assume they were BPA on the lion's board.
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

over all im satisfied. the pettigrew pick shows we are comitted to build around stafford. Delmas is completely a Schwartz pick. He had a good safety in Tennessee with griffin and delmas is expected to fill that role. Levy is a head scratcher but they must be looking at him to play MLB. I actually really do like the williams pick and thinks he could be a great contributer on our offense. I also like the Sammy Lee Hill hes huge and can be a great NT for us and can clog the middle on the Dline.

Overall i was hoping they would address Defense more ealry on but they did add 2 LBS a DT and Safety.

Yes our defense is going to struggle next year but we all knew it wasnt a one year fix unless we went all defense from 1 on. The good news is tho that they are trying to build around Stafford. Pettigrew will be a great piece to the offense with him and CJ. Plus he is a good blocker and does make our oline better.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent.
My thoughts exactly
Old 04-26-2009, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B+

I don't care about needs. Every position is a need.

I care about talent, and we got a lot of that this weekend.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By pick:
Stafford: A
Pettigrew: C+
Delmas: B
Levy: C-
Williams: B
Hill: A- (BURNING BUILDING)
Brown: B-
Murtha: A-
Follett/Grontkowski: Irrelevant

Overall: B

Could have done better but filled a few needs and really helped establish a core of weapons around Stafford.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A-
QB of future signed before draft, real TE, impact presence in the secondary, a couple good pass rushing LBs to fill out the position, hill and murtha are two big talented pieces of clay for our coaches, and we have a couple nice options as return men. they picked some nice talent for each level-trenches, linebackers, secondary, skill positions, etc. i'm trusting schwartz.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

C+ simply because I can't see the plan in failing to land a MLB or LT/LG who could potentially start.

Sure, if some of these players work out then it's a much better grade, but that's always true.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!
Stafford is gonna play LG until he's ready to take over at QB.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

B

Delmas and Follett will smash and bash.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
B+

I don't care about needs. Every position is a need.

I care about talent, and we got a lot of that this weekend.
Exactly. I have saw our last 5 drafts all been A's and end up being terrible. I'm not judging anything until they have played in the league.

I have a feeling Sims won't be around much longer though.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
I have a feeling Sims won't be around much longer though.
You got a hit out on him?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Stafford is gonna play LG until he's ready to take over at QB.
Looper is going to be a good LG.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
ESPforMe
Rookie

ESPforMe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really liked the day 1 picks...

but I'm not sure on day 2. It seems like they could have got better talent with the 3rd rd picks but maybe they saw something in them.

I guess I'll go with b/b-
ESPforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of assigning a graded letter to drafts, but I will say we got some talent (at the top especially) that's for sure ... 3 players in fact that were nearly the #1 rated player at their position since high school in Stafford, Williams & Murtha. But too many flashy offensive positions that were not the big uglies up front to protect our investment!

Something about this draft just bothers me though ... and I think the Lions are still suspect at scouting talent in the middle rounds. I did not like the order in which they selected the positions either. For example, this was a deep draft for TE's and a Coffman,Casey,Cook pick-up in 3 or 4 would have been just as good for me. Really was hoping for a defensive STUD @ #20 ;o( Not enough addition to the D overall, we will struggle to stop teams again next year. Hill could be Haynesworth 2.0 ... jury is still out?
A couple more observations, we passed on some impact palyers that were there for the taking in: (Duke Robinson/Kraig Urbik, Rey Maulaluga/Jasper Brinkley, Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood) all guys I really liked and thought would fit. The Levy pick I don't get, he will have to add 15 pounds to play the middle if he is 228 lb ... we took 2 TE's and 2 OLB's without a natural Mike LB ... that was my biggest head scratcher. I really thought Maualuga was ours, still think Deandre Levy has big shoes to fill for being such a high pick and palying an unatural position in he middle.

It was fun. Let's do it again soon!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...
I agree, as a USC fan, I've seen this guy play a couple of times and he was one of the bears better players.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what to say about this draft. It seems that when you are an 0 and 16 team you need everything in the Lions case the don't need list is shorter than the needs list.

Don't Need list - RB, WR, OLB, DE CB. Anything not on that list is a need.

What I think they did was went with the highest ranked player that wasn't in one of those positions.

1. Matt Stafford - Grade B+ - I wanted: BJ Raji - I have a huge mancrush on BJ Raji and believe he will be a great NT. That said I believe that the Lions saw Stafford as the best player in this draft better than the tackles better than Raji. I think he is the best QB prospect in this year's draft, next years draft, and even last years draft. It is up to the coaches to take this potential and bring it out.

20. Brandon Pettigrew - Grade C+ I wanted Michael Oher - It is only a C+ because Michael Oher was on the board. I can see why Oher was not picked the down points are scary and Pettigrew is a much safer pick. Has trouble learning offenses, very inconsistent with his footwork (Watch the senior bowl tapes he would be dominant one point and then just get owned by an inferior DE right after) I suppose that those reasons were enough to scare the Lions off from Oher. Pettigrew is a great blocker and could be a do it all Jason Witten type guy for us when we have Jared Allen on the outside we can double him with Pettigrew and help Backus out when needed. Lets just say I don't agree with the pick but I understand it.

33. Louis Delmas - Grade B - At first I was floored when they passed on Rey Rey again for the 3rd time. In the heat of the moment I was very angry. After I calmed down and looked at it (and heard some of Mike Mayock's analysis) Rey fell out of the first round because of concerns of him being a 3 down ILB that is why 32 teams passed on him the first time and why Lil Animal went before him. Personally I think they got caught with their pants down not expecting Ziggy Hood to be taken by the Steelers. The Steelers surprised everyone with that pick and now there isn't a DT worth getting drafted in the 2nd/3rd round as an UT I like brace but he is only a 3-4 NT and don't see him doing anything at the 4-3 D. Is it just me or is Delmas and Alexander the same player?

76. DeAndre Levy - Grade ?? - I wanted Jasper Brinkley/Scott McKillop - According to their draft position I would have reached a bit here. One of three things are going on here with the Levy pick. Either Sim's job is in trouble. He is a backup drafted in the 3rd or he is going to be converted to ILB. With his ability to stack the FB I think he is going to be kicked inside to take the middle spot from Paris.

82 Lions (From Cowboys) Williams, Derrick - Grade C - I wanted Duke Robinson - It looks at the moment either Robinson was over rated by the TV/internet draft community or very under rated in the League. Williams I don't know. we have a ton of WRs right now #1 and #2 I think are set so Williams might be the #3/4 WR and return man this is going to be a wait and see pick could be great could bust very early.

115. Sammie Lee Hill - Grade A - I wanted Sammie Lee Hill - I love the pick Hill will break the NT rotation early is a big body that we didn't have last year.

192 (From Cowboys) Aaron Brown - Grade ?? - Looking at it I think Brown at best will be the change of pace back or 3rd down guy. At worst he doesn't make training camp.

228 (From Jets) Lydon Murtha - Grade A - I didn't know anything about the guy until I heard his name on 971 (2 or 3 rounds before he was taken) and I looked into him. I like it.

235 (From Falcons through Broncos) Zack Follett - Will be a decent ST guy nothing more

The Last pick won't make training camp I have no time to worry abiyt this grade

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMike View Post
Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+
Pettigrew was the right pick, I beleive Backus is solid enough (or atleast better than Oher now and his first year). We can pick a LT next draft, but Pettigrew is instant offense as a Pass-Catcher and a Run-blocker. He will make the QB and Kevin better while making plays for himself, this was a great pick-up.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Detroit: A+

Sure, we still have to wait 3 years to find out if Stafford is any good but he fit Schwartz's scheme and the position was absolutely correct.
Pettigrew - In an exceptionally weak draft, he was a steal at #20. He is like having a 2nd LT playing on the field re: blocking and is a real comfort player who should really help Stafford develop and Schwartz schemes runs a lot of plays for his TE's if he follows Tennessee's style offense.
Delmas - Can he stand up as a SS over time because he puts his body on the line every play. If there weren't longevity concerns he is easily a 1st rounder.
In this weak draft, the rest of the picks are anybodies guess but I think they did their homework and we'll just have to see.