Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft Wrap-up

DRAFT WRAP-UP

The Best Draft-Day Move I've Ever Seen
Jets moving up from 17 to 5 to land Mark Sanchez. In a weak draft, the Jets somehow pulled off the 12-spot jump-heist in order to secure the guy who most believe will be a franchise QB. It doesn't get much better than that. Actually, it does. They kept their 2010 first and gave up in my estimation FOUR backup players to move up 12 spots (Coleman technically is a starter but come on, Elam, Ratliff lol, and the second round pick which the Jets would have used on a ho-hum rookie WR or fringe 2nd round 5-tech prospect).

Jerry Reese Drafts Like a Draftnik Would
And it works. Sometimes these guys get way to cute and complicated. Reese somehow makes all the moves draftniks would make and magically most of them seem to pan out. He just surgically goes down the board and takes good, known players. This is not a coincidence. Other GMs are trying to prove people wrong and make obscure moves when sometimes it pays to just pull the trigger on a guy like Sintim or Beatty. Why are they falling? "I don't care, I'm Jerry f'in Reese." Andre Brown at 129? Seriously?

Belichick Runs the NFL
He flat-out told the world on live TV that he thought this draft was weak. Hours later he still somehow traded for three 2nd rounders in 2010. One of these years he's going to package a bunch of these picks and take a ridiculous player at an impact position like OLB, WR, RB, or DB. Eric Berry next year is now possible. And scary. And the funniest part is even with all the trading for future picks, the Pats still managed a pretty solid class here in 2009.

It's the Same Thing Every Year
The good teams make sensible picks, the bad teams don't. The Steelers, Colts, and Cardinals always draft well and it never changes. No matter where they're picking they select good players at every spot. It's not brain surgery. The Raiders, Chiefs, and Browns do weird things and are never good. This is not a coincidence.

Pioli's First Draft in KC
I thought he did a pretty bad job. I'm not so against Tyson Jackson at #3, but Alex Magee in the 3rd was an AWFUL pick. He's not a good fit as a 5-tech, plus he's been overrated from the getgo. AND unless they trade Dorsey, they'll have over $100 million invested in two DEs. What was the point of adding another? The secondary is one of the few bright spots with some talent and yet they chose to add project athlete Donald Washington and declined to address their anemic pass rush. I don't hate any of their other picks at all but this looks like the type of draft you come out with after you go to the Super Bowl, not after a 3-13 year. If Cassel isn't the franchise QB they're hoping for, it's going to take years for this team to get out of the gutter.

My 2010 Playoff Sleeper
The Cincinnati Bengals. No one knows it, but the Bengals defense was actually pretty good last season. Carson Palmer comes back healthy, Cedric Benson continues where he left off, some of the young defensive players keep developing and they're in the playoffs. Plus they got two impact players in Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga. They needed a center- they got one. They needed pass rush help. They got a freak DE who could contribute on third down from day one. Heck, Bernard Scott might be a solid 1B RB. Anytime you can get the 2nd best player in the draft (Smith) at #6 overall and then a surefire heart-and-soul MLB at #38, you've had a good draft. I think personnel-wise that team could do BIG things. What they need is some changes at the top, and I just don't think Marvin Lewis is the head coach that'll get the most out of them.

We Would Never... Why Would We Reach for Him?... We Have Other Needs
You can't say anything like that to a mock draft. What if I told you...
-Jacksonville would take two OTs in the first two rounds.
-Oakland would take Michael Mitchell at 47.
-Tennessee would take a TE in the first three rounds.
-San Diego would take Larry English at 16.
-Baltimore wouldn't take a WR.
-San Francisco wouldn't take an OLB.
-Houston would take two TEs.

Team-by-team Grades (I apologize in advance for so many Bs. It's just so hard to knock or praise some of these picks because we really don't know.)

BUF: B-
Love Shawn Nelson in the 4th. He could start from day one. This draft hinges on Maybin's ability to stop the run.

MIA: B
Curious that they didn't get a pass rusher but they sure helped the secondary, got a steal in Andrew Gardner and may have gotten the best football player in the entire draft at #44.

NE: A-
OL, DL, DB depth. Even if they bat .333 they're probably still improving the team with this class. Vollmer will probably be the RT for the next 10 years and Tate, McKenzie, and Pryor were steals. Plus Patrick Chung was a sneaky-good player who'll probably fit in perfect for them.

NYJ: A
Franchise QB + franchise RB. The Jets making great decisions= the world is upside down. They have about two years to add a stud WR for a developed Sanchez. By that time Jenkins will be near the end, and Rhodes, Revis, and Harris will be in their primes. You have to admire Mr. T's relentlesness.

BAL: C
You know I'm just not so high on the Oher pick. I mean he could be a great player but it wasn't such a slam dunk. They're relying an awful lot on Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason. Something tells me Flacco is in for somewhat of a sophomore slump. Nothing else in the draft stands out although I do like Phillips if he can stay healthy.

CIN: A+
It's possible they got seven starters out of this draft. McDonald was a steal also.

CLE: C+
I mean I don't hate the Mack pick but you just have to wonder what this team is going to look like down the road. In terms of impact players, they're best threat drops way too many passes. Veikune could be good and Don Carey was a good pick but I'm not high on Mo Mass or James Davis and Robiskie will likely be a solid player but not an impact receiver.

PIT: A
I hate them. They are so good it's ridiculous. I could see every single one of their picks working out. They probably added a quality interior lineman (Shipley/Urbik), DL help (Hood/Harris), and a good young CB (Burnett- who we all know was real good- or Lewis). And Tomlin already nicknamed Summers Frank the tank. Jealousy doesn't even begin to explain it.

HOU: B
A lot of weird names but this really was solid. I'm not big on Cushing but I think Barwin was a good pick and they'll likely get a good DB in Quin. Caldwell was a great pick.

IND: A
Just like the Steelers. Ridiculous. Collie is PERFECT for them and Moala/Taylor IMMEDIATELY improves the middle of that defense. People want to say Donald Brown wasn't a need but he's just a quality football player. You need two RBs in the NFL and now they have two (and someone always gets injured). Oh and Powers was one of the most overlooked players. He'll be the nickel in no time.

JAC: B
I simply don't know enough about their long-term situation to comment on the two OTs thing. They did just sign Thomas, but maybe he could play some guard? In any case, the two OTs are good players so you really can't knock them. I love the Thomas and Dillard picks in rounds 4 and 5. Chances are one of them will challenge Northcutt for the slot WR job. Jennings looks like a steal but I wonder why he fell so much.

TEN: B
Don't know what to make of this draft. Britt there is going to be interesting and I wonder how Marks fits in that defense- maybe he'll move to DE. They got good value but filled weird positions (Kropog, Ringer). I love McRath but he'd be a little undersized to be a thumper Mike in that defense- especially without Haynesworth. He'll play outside probably.

DEN: B+
I understand why people are knocking the Broncos and the Cutler thing was terrible but if you look at this draft and the players they got- it actually was a good haul. I love Moreno regardless of the need factor, Robert Ayers will be a great player, and Alphonso Smith is a quality football player. He fell because of height and speed concerns but how many times do we see productive college players overcome that? Again, Quinn, McBath, and Bruton didn't bolster a porous DL, but they were all good players. I love McKinley as a very good slot WR.

KC: F
See above.

OAK: F
I've been driving the D.H.B. bust wagon forever but the main reason I hate the pick is because they passed on Crabtree for a different WR. Just terrible. About Mitchell though- I don't even hate it. Obviously the Bears were going to take him.

SD: C+
Ho-hum. They took G. Johnson pretty high I thought. I knew they were going to make a weird pick at #16. We didn't hear anything about that pick at all. I thought it was going to be Maclin (should've been).

DAL: C+
I don't like McGee there. Too much stupid stuff going on around Romo. Still probably going to pick them to win this division though. Love Brewster and J. Williams.

NYG: B+
Barden will bust. Still this was another fantastic draft. Nicks has it all, Sintim can start and Beckum and A. Brown were fantastic picks. You know Reese drafts like a draftnik when he takes a strong-armed well-known QB in every single draft.

PHI: A
And I hate Victor Harris. McNabb is going to have a field day. On paper, this offseason has put them over the top. Let's see what they can do on the field. And it's unfair that they got Brandon Gibson.

WAS: B
I like it. If Rak pans out he could be a stud on that DL. Barnes was a great pick. The rest might be throw-aways but the Skins may have gotten two starters.

CHI: B
Add Jay Cutler and it's an easy A. Iglesias, Knox, Kinder, Bennett from last year- someone's going to be good with Cutler. Plus he's got G-Reg who might score 10 touchdowns. Gilbert is weird with Harris at UT, but you can never have enough DL I guess. D.J. Moore is a good fit for that defense too.

DET: B-
Pettigrew and Delmas were excellent picks even though they were mild surprises to some. Obviously this all hinges on the QB. Just throw it up Calvin Johnson. D-Will makes sense: the team needs a spark anywhere- he should return kickoffs.

GB: B-
Another ho-hum. Raji should help the run defense. Don't really like Matthews too much as an impact player in the NFL but T.J. Lang was solid and Wynn could be a steal at DE. They didn't get much pass rush help IMO though.

MIN: A
They filled their needs and weren't afraid to make gutsy picks. Percy Harvin, football-wise, was worth a top-ten pick easily. Loadholt's also just a football player and Asher Allen was a great pick. I just don't know about that QB situation. You know- Tebow might be there at pick #23 next year. Just saying.

ATL: B+
Plus they got Tony Gonzalez. Jerry is a beast but I'm not sure if their run defense will be much better.

CAR: B-
I like pretty much all of the players but why take a RB in round four? I do like Goodson though, and RBs will get hurt.

NO: B
You needed help in the secondary and you got some. Not brain surgery. I like it. This could be a subtle good draft that helps build a championship run.

TB: B-
I'm rooting for Stroughter. Rounds 3-5 were solid picks probably. It's all on the softspoken QB though. Who will ultimately have the last laugh? The draftniks or Raheem Morris?

ARZ: B+
Solid as usual. Two good RBs, a solid pass rusher in Brown, special teams help with the two DBs and perhaps some interior OL help. Teams are starting to play the percentages and draft multiple guys at the same position to help their chances of getting a starter. With the uncertainty of this process, it's smart.

STL: B+
The Rams drafts always look good to me but then they fizzle out. Scott and Foster may have been steals.

SF: A
Only thing they didn't get was a pass rusher (and there weren't many around anyway). FML with Crabtree in the division and holding a grudge against Seattle. McKillop next to Willis is solid and Curtis Taylor could make the roster easily. And they got a 1st for next year. Bradford to Crabtree? FML.

SEA: C+
Love Unger, love getting the Broncos 2010 first. Curry is a fantastic player but he's still a 4-3 OLB (not an impact position) and by getting rid of Hill the #4 selection was pretty much a lateral move. Moving up for Deon Butler (giving up a 2010 3rd) was pretty painful to see, especially with guys like Dillard, McKinley, and Gibson all falling. Hopefully Greene can be a starter but I'm not holding my breath (Boulware-ey). As for Curry, I like the kid but he's got to be a pro bowler from the getgo in order for me to buy them passing on a possible (probable) star WR and possible franchise QB for him. Hopefully I'll look back on it and be happy that I was wrong, but I think this conservative draft marks the beginning of the end for GM Tim Ruskell.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, an F? Come on. We deserve a solid D-.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

When Barden is our number one en route to our third superbowl in fourth years next year you'll bite your tongue...
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
Seriously, an F? Come on. We deserve a solid D-.
No. Sorry, you flunk. You'll have to take a remedial draft in the summer.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't very happy most of the picks either but I don't think it's as bad as others do.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
I wasn't very happy most of the picks either but I don't think it's as bad as others do.
It probably wasn't. I just think Alex Magee is terrible and was trying not to stay in the middle so much.

- Ko Simpson
Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Bradford to Crabtree? FML.
Hurts so good.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great write up.

I can answer the question of the RB in round 4 too. DeAngelo Wiliams and Stewart are great running backs, but neither are the kind of guys who want out there cracking heads on the special teams units or trying to return kick offs.

For years the Panthers had Nick Goings who could fill in as a pass catcher, blocker, ball runner, gunner, returner. Just a guy who did it all at one time or another.

This guy has the potential to be that sort of guy and much, much more for the Panthers plus, Williams has only 2 seasons left on his deal and if he continues to play like he did he won't be easy to resign in 2 years time so we need some sort of insurance.

Panthers got everything they needed, imo B even.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets absolutely rooked the Browns on that trade. I was in awe.

When I saw they had moved up, I immediately thought "Okay...this year's 1, next year's 1, and either a 2 or 3 this year."

Nada.

Damn impressive bit of crooking there.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are your guys thoughts on Josh Freeman to Tampa? I was initially extremely disapointed but I guess I have to come around... He should be put in a better situation than Stafford or Sanchez, hes got a good o-line, good recievers, and good backs
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
What are your guys thoughts on Josh Freeman to Tampa? I was initially extremely disapointed but I guess I have to come around... He should be put in a better situation than Stafford or Sanchez, hes got a good o-line, good recievers, and good backs
You can speculate all you want but only time will tell. And we won't know for at three years probably.

I'd guess he's a boom rather than bust simply by playing the percentages (and the Texas game in '06).

- Ko Simpson
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
He's going to get tested as a rookie facing some very good pass rushers, in the division.

I just hope he's not being pushed to hard too fast.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

The Jets have some depth issues that were not addressed because they traded up.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
He's going to get tested as a rookie facing some very good pass rushers, in the division.

I just hope he's not being pushed to hard too fast.
I dont think he will play as a rookie. I think itll be McCown or Leftwich starting in 2009 and then Freeman taking over next year.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
It probably wasn't. I just think Alex Magee is terrible and was trying not to stay in the middle so much.
Scott gave him some decent marks and projected him 2nd or 3rd. Maybe bad value but we did just draft our two DEs for the future.

He's more of a developmental guy so I will tend to agree with you but I think he could be a starter in a year or two. Tyson Jackson was a massive reach but he immediately helps out or defense.

CB pick was horrible. I had never heard of the TE, WR or OT but that doesn't mean much.

Overall it was a "so so" draft. Not exactly what I was expecting but Pioli doesn't draft the sexy picks, he drafts the ones who will be here in a few years to help us rebuild. I SINCERELY hope they are deemed sexy in a few years.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 AM    (permalink
parrish_lemar24DBSkins
Veteran

parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Ramses Barden doesn't bust for the G-men and is able to contribute at all his rookie season, a la Marques Colston, they're on the short list for the SB.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off just yet, the Giants may have struck gold with Barden.
parrish_lemar24DBSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
The Jets have some depth issues that were not addressed because they traded up.
You're never going to fix everything in one draft. I'd say coming away with a QBOF and RBOF makes up for not filling up the roster with depth.

- Ko Simpson