Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs down Stupid Detroit Media . . .

I hate you.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

They are thinking there is one way to make the rubick's cube right. They have a man crush on Rey Maualuga. Rey is decent but he has had injury problems, over runs the ball, isn't great on shedding blockers, get's off balance (see Nelson plant him to the ground), and has some character issues.

Pettigrew is the logical pick because he helps Stafford block and catch the ball. This will give Stafford a chance to succeed which allows the franchise to succeed in the future when the QB does not bust.

You can draft another linebacker next year in

in Mark Herzlich or Brandon Spikes who are just as tough and mean and also know how to really play linebacker well.

This is a good start. Not perfect but a good start.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember, for 7+ years they gave Millen A or A+'s. They have zero knowledge of the draft or what it takes to build a winner.

I believe I heard NFL Network crew mention some last minute injury concerns as the reason Rey fell.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Oher was there... There's no excusing what a bad pick Pettigrew was with Oher there...
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
JJKID
Rookie

JJKID hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.
JJKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKID View Post
We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.
HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing they are stupid about what I've heard is the thought of Aaron Curry #1. The Lions played it safe by selecting Pettigrew over Oher there is no doubt about it. Oher has a very low floor due to the inconsistency and the learning disability. But he has a very very high ceiling as well could possibly be the #1 tackle out of this class. Mayock said it himself that the reason we passed on Rey is because Rey might be a two down LB which we can't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright
- All that whining about how the Lions so desperately needed a left tackle and about how they should take Jason Smith with the #1 overall pick then they pass on Michael Oher when he drops right into their laps? Now I like Brandon Pettigrew and they certainly needed a tight end but after just spending $72 million on Matthew Stafford why wouldn’t they jump at the chance to protect him like Atlanta did with Matt Ryan a year ago? I know Pettigrew will contribute as a blocker too I think this was a mistake. Oh, for all the talk about selecting Aaron Curry #1 and how middle linebacker was their biggest problem they also passed on both Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis here as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright
Outstanding against the run and a great leader but passed on Maualuga / Laurinaitis.
I think the Lions went safe on these picks Pettigrew and Delmas have higher floors than Oher and Rey.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They really don't have higher floors...not even close.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
They really don't have higher floors...not even close.
Oher's floor is very low as I explained he has a learning disability has to be in a simple offense. And if scouts are right and Rey is a 2 down LB (which explains why he fell past the 2nd round) then he isn't right for this D.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Lions philosophy was clearly to take the best player available with those first three picks. That is how the great teams draft. I know people thought middle linebacker and left tackle were bigger needs, but I'm still loving this draft. We just got the top quarterback, the top tight end, and the top safety.

The Rey Maualuga hype is sickening. I said a few weeks ago that he's a 2nd Round pick, and I guess [most] all of the NFL teams shared my opinion. There were multiple teams in the 12-37 range that needed middle linebackers and they all passed him. Denver passed on him three times; Cleveland twice; San Diego, Green Bay, Miami, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and New England all passed once. All of those teams could've used an upgrade at middle linebacker and none of them thought Maualuga was worth a pick that high.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i believe in oher, but pettigrew and delmas are both safe and highly talented while being instant impact picks. our team leader only had 1 interception last year. pettigrew improves our red zone and short yardage abilities dramatically. oher is too inconstant right now. we can always get a 'once in a decade, franchise LT' next year anyway.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A big reason people wanted Maualuga(sp?) over Delmas was name value. Maualuga was on TV a lot and Delmas wasn't. People weren't excited about Bob Sanders when he came out and didn't think he would be the face of a defense.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009042...904270330/1048
Quote:
And it could have been crazier. Coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions were looking hard at Ohio State running back Beanie Wells, who fell to Arizona at 31st overall -- two picks before the Lions took Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas. The Lions' first three picks could have been offensive players, even though their defense has ranked last the past two seasons.
Quote:
"Let me say this: Everybody we drafted we liked and we saw a role for, so it wasn't like we were just drafting blindly to take guys," Schwartz said. "But I thought we did a really good job of balancing high-rated players with how we were going to use them."
Quote:
Two outside linebackers? Well, one will move to the middle, third-round pick DeAndre Levy of Wisconsin. Levy's only 236 pounds, but Schwartz pointed out legendary Baltimore middle linebacker Ray Lewis was 228 when he came out.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.
When Philly traded up for Maclin at 19 I thought that was going to be a trade with us ... acquire another pick ... drop down ... but nope. Pettigrew is a solid player, no doubt ... time will tell if it equates in the NFL (he caught not 1 TD his senior year) but to me a TE is a later rd pick or a pick at that spot (top 25) for a team that is on the verge of the play offs or has some more established beef. That's all. A DT or LT or MLB with skills were all there.

We get SPIKES next year ... I'll take it baby!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
We get DUNLAP next year ... I'll take it baby!
Fixed. Hopefully DeAndre Levy works out for us in the middle.

I think we'll be picking too high for Brandon Spikes anyways.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HA ...

Wow ... lofty amount of wins for us OR just really high on Spikes? He's a top 10 lock barring injury or amputation or ... well ... I guess that would be an injury? lol ;o)

4-12 to 6-10 records get us approx. #6-#9 range ...

I'm not as hopeful on the Levy switch-er-oo ... Schwartz dropped a Ray Lewis comparison which made me chuckle when I read it today. "Ray Lewis was only 228 lbs when he came out of Miami." In defense of said LB Levy. WHHHHHAAAT???
Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

with amputation he's still a first rounder

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?
Yeah TE has been a mess for us for years ... I just thought there was some solid 3rd 4th round guys (Casey/Coffman/Ingram/Nelson) at that position. Pettigrew is a fantastic talent no question.

I wonder what we did not see in Dannell Elerbee (sp?) and Darry Beckwith with our 14th 7th round pick (jk) where we took TE #2 vs. 2 SEC veterans that are natural MLB's? Maybe Jordan Dizon has made some sophmore year strides that he's hiding from us!

(wishful thinking)
Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
with amputation he's still a first rounder
He could be an even better blocker using that arm as a club ... catching might be tricky though.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like that Det passed on Michael Oher at #20 other then that I think Det had a pretty good draft on paper at least kinda point less to grade it yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that was a questionable statement by Schwartz. He's just saying that weight shouldn't really hold back someone though..

I think we'll get between 2 and 4 wins this year. Spikes is awesome but he does have some speed concerns. Not to mention, MLB's generally aren't taken high. In the last 10 years I think the earliest a MLB has been taken is Brian Urlacher at #9.

Not saying it won't happen though.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.

Everyone keeps saying Oher, but he isnt the Ole Miss linemen I wanted. Our DL is awful & weve actually gotten worse there since the end of last season. I liked the Sammie Lee Hill pick a lot, but best case scenario is he contributes a few years down the road after a lot of development.

I just really dislike the Pettigrew pick. People are overvaluing his importance as a blocker, imo. Dan Campbell was a very good blocking TE, how much did that help our run game? And the TE isn't going to be staying in pass coverage very often so it still does little to help keep our QB off his ass.

People are using the 'BPA' argument and I don't buy it. Stafford was almost no ones BPA in this draft. If we were drafting pure BPA I don't see Stafford being our 1st selection.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.
Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote