Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.
#1 overall is a different circumstance. You take the BPA that you also feel comfortable taking. He was undoubtedly a top 3 talent, and the order in which they ranked is interchangable.

The rest of the draft was, for the most part, BPA.

I agree that TE is a luxury pick, but his value was there regardless, and he'll help Stafford as much as a Left Tackle.

And you can't cite Dan Campbell's blocking skills. He was NEVER on the the field. Always hurt.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.
Generally speaking, a top Left Tackle is infinitely more valuable than a top TE.

BUT . . .

Given the Lions roster, the immediate upgrade of Pettigrew over Will Heller (?) is greater than the upgrade of Michael Oher over Jeff Backus (though I am sure Backus haters will unreasonably disagree).

The fact that we didn't get a Left Guard upgrade really sucks, but a Tight End upgrade helps Stafford (and Daunte) more than you think.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But honestly, how good do you really think Pettigrew can be? You said yourself before the draft that you had never been impressed with him. Hes a lumbering TE who can make some plays for you in the short passing game. But would probably be more useful for us in protect schemes double teaming DE's who are beating up on our tackles.

Though I bet he is a better C than Dominic Raiola. In my opinion, Raiola doesnt get nearly enough hate~ He seemingly gets tossed aside or just driven into the backfield every play by opposing DT's.

Last edited by El Peefs????? : 04-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

Quote:
I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.
Y'know, I've heard this so often since Saturday that I'm beginning to hear it for the insult it is.

"The Detroit Lions should know their place. Who do they think they are, drafting the best player on the board? Only good teams should do that. Damn those uppity Lions, acting like they're entitled to draft the most talented athletes available."

Frankly, it's starting to make me mad. We drafted some good players -- get used to it.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

That's the opposite of smart. When every position is a need, that's when you go BPA.

If you only need a Left Tackle, you don't take safeties and quarterbacks.

DUH!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
The fact that we didn't get a Left Guard upgrade really sucks, but a Tight End upgrade helps Stafford (and Daunte) more than you think.
I wonder:

Let's say Pettigrew was already off the board at #20 but Michael Oher was still there -- would the Lions have drafted Oher then? Or would they have drafted a defensive player like Peria Jerry, or Ziggy Hood, or even Louis Delmas at #20?
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
I wonder:

Let's say Pettigrew was already off the board at #20 but Michael Oher was still there -- would the Lions have drafted Oher then? Or would they have drafted a defensive player like Peria Jerry, or Ziggy Hood, or even Louis Delmas at #20?
Probably Jerry. I bet Ziggy Hood would have been the selection at 33 if he had lasted just one pick longer.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
I wonder:

Here's what I wonder:

If Philly trades up and drafts Pettigrew.. Lions were drafting BPA, do you think they would have taken Jeremy Maclin?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Here's what I wonder:

If Philly trades up and drafts Pettigrew.. Lions were drafting BPA, do you think they would have taken Jeremy Maclin?
No ******* way.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 PM    (permalink
bigredballer
Rookie

bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.

Quote:
No ******* way.
Why not? We took Derrick Williams for punt and kick returns. :D

But seriously, I agree... no way
bigredballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not this year, but only because they would have been murdered with a headline of ''lions draft another first round WR." next year would be different though.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do think it's funny that the media already has Stafford as a bust and Sanchez in the hall of fame.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's pretty much just irrational superstition, or some kind of mental gymnastic guess made by hurt people.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Probably Jerry. I bet Ziggy Hood would have been the selection at 33 if he had lasted just one pick longer.
Did you read the story about how we had a deal in place with the Giants for Maclin? Now we move down to 29 and pick up a nice haul of picks. I would guarantee we draft Ziggy Hood there and then Delmas at 33!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...er_fourth.html

**** you killer. he's a fourth round small school developmental project. get something else to write about and stop generalizing. our other 4th round picks were just stupid, this has a purpose. i don't want to see the word 'bust' associated with any of our draft picks yet. its unfair pressure and just not something these picks should have in the back of their minds.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Will, Xio. Did that bite you in the ass or what??? I was laughing so hard when you guys took him. I wish you were around.

Xio, why the change of heart on liking Pettigrew over Oher? I remember how pissed your were. F this, F that, F U.... Is it simply because he is a Lion now?

I'm with Peefs on that one... I never was high on Pettigrew and that was not even a luxury pick. It was a bad pick. Don't think you guys come away luxurious there. I mean the guy didn't even catch 1 touchdown in his senior season. The TEs in this class were horrendous. He's the worst #1 TE in years.

Delmas was a pretty good pick though. I don't think he is a dark horse for DROY, just because I don't see your defense improving enough for him to get attention. You might have something there though. Anxious to see him against top competition. He's a guy I would've wanted in Dallas.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** Killer, Sammie Lee Hill is a hero.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
D-Will, Xio. Did that bite you in the ass or what??? I was laughing so hard when you guys took him. I wish you were around.

Xio, why the change of heart on liking Pettigrew over Oher? I remember how pissed your were. F this, F that, F U.... Is it simply because he is a Lion now?

I'm with Peefs on that one... I never was high on Pettigrew and that was not even a luxury pick. It was a bad pick. Don't think you guys come away luxurious there. I mean the guy didn't even catch 1 touchdown in his senior season. The TEs in this class were horrendous. He's the worst #1 TE in years.

Delmas was a pretty good pick though. I don't think he is a dark horse for DROY, just because I don't see your defense improving enough for him to get attention. You might have something there though. Anxious to see him against top competition. He's a guy I would've wanted in Dallas.
I'm not 'happy' about the Pettigrew pick. He wasn't my first or second choice there, but I do understand the pick. Mayhew was going BPA. I should have known.

Immediate reactions are just that . . . immediate, and not well thought through. I'd still probably rather have Oher, but Jerry was my first pick there. Anything else is the same.

I don't hate the Derrick Williams pick. He wouldn't even have been a bad pick for Dallas. I just knew you hated the pick so I ran with it. The Lions needed a KR and a WR. No big deal there.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
I do think it's funny that the media already has Stafford as a bust and Sanchez in the hall of fame.
That has been hilarious. Somehow everyone believes that Sanchez is ready to come in and start in the NFL right now. Regardless of how good the rest of his team is he will be a rookie QB facing Belichick's defense.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not 'happy' about the Pettigrew pick. He wasn't my first or second choice there, but I do understand the pick. Mayhew was going BPA. I should have known.

Immediate reactions are just that . . . immediate, and not well thought through. I'd still probably rather have Oher, but Jerry was my first pick there. Anything else is the same.

I don't hate the Derrick Williams pick. He wouldn't even have been a bad pick for Dallas. I just knew you hated the pick so I ran with it. The Lions needed a KR and a WR. No big deal there.
Ya riight! You HATE D-Will!!! hahahahahhahahaha!!!! Don't deny it now!!! hahahahhahahaha!!!!

It's amazing how we can convince ourselves how great our team drafted after our first instincts tell us how crappy it was, huh? For the love of homerism....
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Ya riight! You HATE D-Will!!! hahahahahhahahaha!!!! Don't deny it now!!! hahahahhahahaha!!!!

It's amazing how we can convince ourselves how great our team drafted after our first instincts tell us how crappy it was, huh? For the love of homerism....
Unless any of us Lions fans went into the draft with the expectation that we could fill our need at QB, WR, TE, LT, LG, DE, DT, MLB, CB, and S, then it's insane for you to suggest we're homers for the fact that we're content with just filling half of those needs.

I have no problem with the Derrick Williams pick. He was one of the best KR/PR guys in the draft, and can contribute as a Wideout too.

I wasn't in love with any of the guys who were on the board on the second day.