Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Mike Valenti (97.1) is ripping the Lions apart

this is hilarious
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OH NOES! The guy who's whole claim to fame in the draft is considering 3-4 OLBs as DEs in the 4-3 standard is angry OOOOOHHHH Boy.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Show him this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...ory?id=4104114

Lions among the highest grades.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Show him this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...ory?id=4104114

Lions among the highest grades.
lol @ the raiders 0.78 GPA.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The actual letter grades mean nothing to me. It's the Lions rank among the 32 teams to look at. And these experts have the Lions in the top 6-8 teams.

P.S. Mike Valenti is a disgrace to humanity. And I didn't even listen to his rant. He's always an irrational hothead.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol USA Today's opinion actually counted towards our GPA

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The actual letter grades mean nothing to me. It's the Lions rank among the 32 teams to look at. And these experts have the Lions in the top 6-8 teams.

P.S. Mike Valenti is a disgrace to humanity. And I didn't even listen to his rant. He's always an irrational hothead.
You must be a Michigan fan. (lol)
Valenti has passion. He also does his homework. Yeah, he flies off the handle often but I'd rather have that than a guy who is just mild mannered and non opinionated. It is entertainment after all ... "disgrace to humanity" is a pretty tough judgment to anyone not named Matt Millen ;o)
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
You must be a Michigan fan. (lol)
Valenti has passion. He also does his homework. Yeah, he flies off the handle often but I'd rather have that than a guy who is just mild mannered and non opinionated. It is entertainment after all ... "disgrace to humanity" is a pretty tough judgment to anyone not named Matt Millen ;o)
That's where we'll disagree then. I don't care so much about the entertainment value of him. If he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and has a mis-informed opinion, then what exactly is the point?

Not every single thing in sports is meant to be taken to extremes. In his book, there is no middle ground. He either thinks you're awesome or horrendous.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's where we'll disagree then. I don't care so much about the entertainment value of him. If he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and has a mis-informed opinion, then what exactly is the point?

Not every single thing in sports is meant to be taken to extremes. In his book, there is no middle ground. He either thinks you're awesome or horrendous.
basically, he's a woman

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh. I don't mind if someone has an unfavorable opinion of our draft.. but it seems like EVERYONE in the Detroit media just decided to hate on the draft.. Which means casual fans who don't know any better are going to think what they're told by the Detroit media.. Just go to MLive and see what happens as a result of that.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Listen, the guys you're talking of (Foster/Valenti/Karsh/Caputto/Sharp/Kowalski/Birkett/Wojonowski/Shepard/Rosenberg/Costonika etc) ... these cats have been around Detroit for anywhere from 7 to 40 years covering this cities sports teams so to say they are steeped in losing ways with the Lion's is an understatement!! Most are The guilty until proven innocent mentality b/c it get's listeners and readers who only plug into that media b/c of fear doubt and worry.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:

X - I respect that opinion of yours ...
I listen to very little radio myself, but sometimes between 5-5:30 on the commute I listen in to Valenti b/c a) he's interesting and is known to go bonkers on the air which tends to make me laugh and b) it's the only local stuff no syndicated or on satellite.

Stafford has us atop the NFC North in 3 years they (me) can eat crow.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
X - I respect that opinion of yours ...
I listen to very little radio myself, but sometimes between 5-5:30 on the commute I listen in to Valenti b/c a) he's interesting and is known to go bonkers on the air which tends to make me laugh and b) it's the only local stuff no syndicated or on satellite.

Stafford has us atop the NFC North in 3 years they (me) can eat crow.
When they aren't talking about the draft, I enjoy all of the sports talk on 97.1, but I hate the Valenti and Foster show.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's too much damn negativity. Every time the Lions do something that isn't what they have expected and read about for the last 2 months leading up to the draft, it's "typical Lions". More like "Typical knee jerk reaction by close minded clueless sheep"

Don't get me wrong.. I wanted Maualuga, and I wanted Oher.. but I'm not going to talk bad about the new regime because they passed on guys who have big time question marks. I understand why they picked Pettigrew.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I've been listening to 97.1 from California for one year off my I phone. Valenti has a lot of sports knowledge but he is an unhappy person who needs some emotional counseling. I can see where most of the guys from 97.1 are coming from. Build up the defense and the lines before you get your tight ends and receivers. I can't argue with that. But this year we picked up a franchise QB who needs to have weapons for him to throw to. I just wished we could of gotten a offensive guard like Duke Robinson or Kraig Urbick to help with the run game.

I think these guys are too negative and need to lighten up some. Most fans on these forums do agree this draft was not off bad grading it out to be a least a B.

I'm looking forward to the next season.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
I've been listening to 97.1 from California for one year off my I phone. Valenti has a lot of sports knowledge but he is an unhappy person who needs some emotional counseling. I can see where most of the guys from 97.1 are coming from. Build up the defense and the lines before you get your tight ends and receivers. I can't argue with that. But this year we picked up a franchise QB who needs to have weapons for him to throw to. I just wished we could of gotten a offensive guard like Duke Robinson or Kraig Urbick to help with the run game.

I think these guys are too negative and need to lighten up some. Most fans on these forums do agree this draft was not off bad grading it out to be a least a B.

I'm looking forward to the next season.
Sometimes I think these guys are this opinionated to appeal to all the negative fans. The rest of the time I think they're just irrational.

I question the decision-making of the people who run that station for allowing all of their radio personalities to express an identical opinion. Leaves no room for debate or variety. I'm glad the draft is over for the sake of having to listen to that station.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why I love having Sirius so much. I can listen to NFL radio and get informed opinions from guys like Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt instead of the local morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Build up the defense and the lines before you get your tight ends and receivers.
To a certain extent though.. Maybe they had Pettigrew rated as the 10th best player in the draft and Oher as a 2nd Rounder. Should they have taken Oher just because he was a Left Tackle and Pettigrew was a TE?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
To a certain extent though.. Maybe they had Pettigrew rated as the 10th best player in the draft and Oher as a 2nd Rounder. Should they have taken Oher just because he was a Left Tackle and Pettigrew was a TE?
Why does the team have to be built with any specific parameters or proportions? I always hear "build the defense," "build the line," "get the core positons (QB, LT, DE)" . . . JUST TAKE BPA! And that's what they did.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why does the team have to be built with any specific parameters or proportions? I always hear "build the defense," "build the line," "get the core positons (QB, LT, DE)" . . . JUST TAKE BPA! And that's what they did.
To me the only rule is if you don't have a franchise QB and you have a shot at one, take him (if you grade him as one, of course). Otherwise, I'm a BPA guy as well. I was a little upset at the Pettigrew pick at first, but once I thought about it for a bit, I loved it. I'm quite happy with this draft. The local morons are reactionary, overreacting goofballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I think i figured it out. When you live in the box (Detroit), you can't think outside the box. Mike and most of Detroit of lived through years of anguish and misery with such a bad defense that they can't think of anything else except how to fix the defense. Me, when i watch their games i see that both the Lions defense and offense were equally bad. I don't mind the draft as much because at least we can improve in our offense and still mad small dent in our defense. These guys dismiss Hill just because he went to Stillman. They dismiss Delmas and the linebackers we drafted. Their viewpoints are really single minded thinking inside the box.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't view the offense and defense as seperate entities.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
These guys dismiss Hill just because he went to Stillman.
Yeah, because nobody that went to a small school has ever done anything in the NFL...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Yeah, because nobody that went to a small school has ever done anything in the NFL...
Who is Terrell Owens? Jerry Rice? THEY'RE BUMS! THAT'S WHO!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 AM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I think i figured it out. When you live in the box (Detroit), you can't think outside the box. Mike and most of Detroit of lived through years of anguish and misery with such a bad defense that they can't think of anything else except how to fix the defense. Me, when i watch their games i see that both the Lions defense and offense were equally bad. I don't mind the draft as much because at least we can improve in our offense and still mad small dent in our defense. These guys dismiss Hill just because he went to Stillman. They dismiss Delmas and the linebackers we drafted. Their viewpoints are really single minded thinking inside the box.
um no, for the record everyone liked the Delmas pick. Heres the problem when Detroit drafts, we simply can not trust these guys to draft players. Year in and year out, we draft busts and always skip the playmakers. We draft high on skill positions when so many glaring needs are ignored. then in the late 3rd or 4th round we always get those "project players". This year was no different. We took a TE instead of a great looking LT or pass rushing DT.

Lets take a look at what wins you games, the best TE in the game, Tony Gonzales or the best DT in the game, Albert Haynesworth...Easy, the DT. Why? Because without a pass rush or someone who can stop the run, you will not win in the NFL. It's so simple and the Lions just can't get it right. I dont want to hear that Pettigrew is the best TE in his class, the point is we missed an opportunity to get great value for a player in the trenches, but we skipped it yet again.

Then we reached for an OLB projected to go in round 6 with our 3rd pick, a KR that we could have gotten in the 4th round in a player named DJ Moore. A project player in the DT Lee. A runningback in the 6th that will be cut next year. We got ANOTHER TIGHT END

just overall a terrible draft. Anyone who likes this is blind or you're such a homer that you can't see this front office is filled with morons. I'll remember this draft in 3 years and how you guys all "loved" it when we'll have 2 player left from the squad and that will be Stafford(because of his huge contract) and either Delmas or Pettigrew

Last edited by LOLitsTomBrady : 04-28-2009 at 02:57 AM.
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote