Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And you're the enlightened one because you don't like it?

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, you guys have Jim Schwartz.

Does this Valenti fellow know this?

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post

Mike Valenti doesn't believe in coaching. He thinks the Pats just drafts talent and Bill Belicheck just calls smart plays.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

LOLitsTomBrady, I didn't love this draft. I liked his draft. I gave it a B-. I did wish we would of drafted Peria Jerry, but Sammie Lee Hill may turn out to be a stud. You're being way to negative here. What school did Jerry Rice go to? Mississippi Valley State. I don't know who this can be a "terrible draft" when you drafted a quarterback, tight end, and safety in can play for years to come.

Here again, Lions fan can help themselves to be too negative. Lighten up some. I know the economy and everything is tough in Michigan, but you don't have to act like everything the Lions do is negative. If Stafford turns out to be half way decent, this draft is automatically a B+.

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 04-28-2009 at 05:39 AM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLitsTomBrady View Post
um no, for the record everyone liked the Delmas pick. Heres the problem when Detroit drafts, we simply can not trust these guys to draft players. Year in and year out, we draft busts and always skip the playmakers. We draft high on skill positions when so many glaring needs are ignored. then in the late 3rd or 4th round we always get those "project players". This year was no different. We took a TE instead of a great looking LT or pass rushing DT.

Lets take a look at what wins you games, the best TE in the game, Tony Gonzales or the best DT in the game, Albert Haynesworth...Easy, the DT. Why? Because without a pass rush or someone who can stop the run, you will not win in the NFL. It's so simple and the Lions just can't get it right. I dont want to hear that Pettigrew is the best TE in his class, the point is we missed an opportunity to get great value for a player in the trenches, but we skipped it yet again.

Then we reached for an OLB projected to go in round 6 with our 3rd pick, a KR that we could have gotten in the 4th round in a player named DJ Moore. A project player in the DT Lee. A runningback in the 6th that will be cut next year. We got ANOTHER TIGHT END

just overall a terrible draft. Anyone who likes this is blind or you're such a homer that you can't see this front office is filled with morons. I'll remember this draft in 3 years and how you guys all "loved" it when we'll have 2 player left from the squad and that will be Stafford(because of his huge contract) and either Delmas or Pettigrew
Wow, I never thought that I would be driven away from this website but I think you are doing the job. THE TRENCHES!?!?! What is this WWI, get a clue. Teams are built by acquiring talent, would you rather have the best TE or the 4th best T. Obviously you would rather take the 4th best guy at a position. Teams like the Pats, Colts, and Giants could care less where a guy plays, rather can he help win games. It doesn't matter the position if a player can make plays they take him and find a spot for him. The Patriots took TWO TE's in 3 years at one point, oh what blasphemy.

As for what wins games. The best TE alone will not win games but it is a step in the right direction offensively, look at the two teams who were in the Super Bowl. They had multiple options on offense. The Cardinals had multiple wide recievers, while Pittsburgh had a TE to go along with their wideouts. This is something the Lions did not have last year. If Calvin couldn't get open it was over. People like you are only talking about how terrible the defense was last year, well look at the offense. We held Minnesota to 12 points and lost because we scored only 10, and that bastard Orlovsky ran out of the back of the endzone giving them 2 of their 12. This team could have great TRENCHES and with out talent at the skill positions on offense they will never win any substantial amount of games.

Shouldn't you give Schwartz the benefit of the doubt regarding all these "projects?" Look at Cortland Finnegan, he was a 7th round pick and he went to the Pro-Bowl this year. Stephen Tulloch was named starting MLB eight games into the season after being picked in the 4th round in 2006. (And by the way he is listed at 235, man that seems kind of small for a MLB. HA HA!) So again I tell you, stop thinking you understand schemes and personnel better than him and Gunther. Hell, Schwartz was a scout under the best personnel guy in the league in many peoples opinion, Bill Belicheck. These guys know defense better than Rod did and better than Millen did and far better than you do.

GO LIONS!!
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I don't view the offense and defense as seperate entities.
Thats because your smart and understand football.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like a lot of hate on here for Oher, why? His only question mark is that he may or may not have a learning diasability, but he's a hard worker. All of those reports that he takes plays off and such are ridiculous. I remember they said the dame thing about Haloti Ngata (coming form the same source as well mind you). Yeah...

However, I do think that Oher was not the way to go for the Lions. Backus isn't as bad as the media proclaims him to be, but all that hate should be focused on the LG position. 'm very surprised that the Lions didn't address it in the draft or FA. Who's going to be the starter?

I don't get to listen to Valentini, but that guy who's the host of the Huge Show is a total douchebag. I wish Michigan had different radio hosts lol.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Pettigrew is by far the best blocking tight end I've seen since I started following the draft. The reason that he has such poor receiving stats, despite being an excellent receiver, is because he was so valuable as a blocker that Oklahoma State used him as a sixth offensive lineman. If you get a chance re-watch the Texas/Oklahoma State game. Pettigrew completely worked Orakpo the entire game. I don't care if he's a tight end, Pettigrew upgrades both our offensive line and our receiving corps.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Daniel Loper is starting at LG for ya'll, then you should be fine. He was a swing OT for the Titans, but he saw more playing time at OG than at OT. He even started at RG for the Titans/Chargers Wild Card game in '07, and I thought he played very well - especially considering he has Eugene Amano starting next to him as Kevin Mawae's injury replacement. When the Titans lost Jacob Bell to FA and Benji Olsen to retirement at the end of the '07 season, I wasn't worried at all because they had Loper.

You guys got yourself a very handy OL, and the Titans had to use a 4th RD pick on Troy Kropog to replace him. CB Eric King is another good one too. VoodooMonkey can attest that I was broken-hearted when I saw King signed with ya'll.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 04-28-2009 at 11:42 AM.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes I'm having more faith in Loper. I've been burned before on backups from other teams and free agent guards in Detroit, but I can take one more who played with a great Oline coach in Munchak and behind two studs at LT and LG for the Titans. Some work out or at least decent like DeWayne White who when healthy is a decent DE.

I wouldn't take any guard left from Round 2 over Delmas at this point(Unger and LeVitre). Duke dropped like a rock as did Canfield. Mack and Wood were gone. So Loper it is. Round 3 guards, Vazguez(isn't that like a Manny Ramirez clone). Caldwell is a center and we're rolling with Raiola. Unger,Wood and Mack may all be more centers. Now we could have taken Oher and played him at LG and then he would eventually replace Backus but then we lack the safety valve and Pettigrews good blocking(who is just as important as a guard sometimes) and there may be some stud LTs next year better than Oher. Get Okung from Oklahoma State and match him with Pettigrew. They have chemistry already. We've had some pretty good success with Oklahoma State players. Pick 20, Barry number 20, its an omen lol.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what the Lions did, by drafting Pettigrew you just made Stafford and Johnson better, Delmas is going to be a good one. Realistically speaking you have 3 pro bowlers with your 1st 3 picks.

Valenti is a mad man, i'm sure everyone remembers the infamous MSU vs Notre Dame rant from a couple of years ago. "Coach Smith your timeouts arent like cell phone minutes they dont carry over". Priceless.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how 97.1 spent the entire day fielding calls off the premise that Larry Foote was released and we should sign him.

Reports now say he is still a Steeler and wasn't released. I think MLive was their source.

Haha, double fail.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

arent these the same guys who ran the bandwagon after every Millen draft? Because if they are I don't know why we're taking them seriously.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
arent these the same guys who ran the bandwagon after every Millen draft? Because if they are I don't know why we're taking them seriously.
Nah, they're cynics. I don't think that was them, at least not collectively.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the problem when you come from a city that is a cronic loser in a sport. The guys who cover the team ripe everything in sight because they have no experience with a winning organization and have lost all judgment of when it comes to their team. They wouldn't recognize a good draft if it hit them in the head. Something like 12 of the last 15 first overall picks in the draft have been QB's both by poor GM's and by excellent GM's, and not just by Detroit GM's. So I think it is safe to say that GM's at least agree that drafting a QB #1 overall is the soundest philosophy in the NFL, yet reporters think they know better, and go on and on about it like some kind of light went on in their brain when in fact they aren't much different from a frustrated fan.
I for one am glad the Detroit press is riping our draft, in all likelihood it probably means Mayhew got it right for once and the press and fans are just too stupid to realize it. For years they fawned over Millen's drafts and gave him A's and A+'s, they were dead wrong then and they are dead wrong now.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post

I am sig less (lol) ... but Imust say in ranking signatures, you have one of the sweetest one's I've ever seen! Great work TitanHope, I laugh every time I see it!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote