Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default DT

Only seen this mentioned once or twice, but currently, we are in big need of a starting caliber DT. As of right now we have Albert Haynesworth, Randy Starks, Rien Long, Tony Brown (DE), and Jesse Mahelona as guys with realistic shots of making the team. Haynesworth is obviously one starter, and I consider everyone else rotational back-ups. Randy Starks has not shown that he can be a starter. He does not play the run consistently enough, and doesn't have top notch pass rush ability (decent, but inconsistent with it) to offset his liability vs. the run.

I think the need for a DT is lessened if we bring back Robaire, as I view him as a decent starter, but there are no guarantees that he will be back. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. And if you've looked at the FA list of DT's, there is not much there. Ian Scott is probably the best option along with Robaire, but beyond them you have guys like Anthony Adams (I think) and Montae Reagor (undersized). Given how bad we were against the run last year, I see no reason to believe it will improve if we have to use Randy Starks as a starter.

This opens the possibility for targeting one in the draft, which is bad news for us given our bigtime needs for a DE, CB, and WR. Add in the fact that, IMO, the talent level for DT's drops off after Branch and Okoye, then there is likely no good value for the pick in the first round. There should be options there in rd. 2, but the question I have for all of you, is does the need for a DT override the need for getting a CB, WR or DE?

Obviously it is early and this can be avoided if we sign a guy like Robaire or Scott, but they are not locks by any stretch of the imagination.

Thoughts?
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the best option would be either signing Ian Scott or bringing back Robaire Smith. If we don't get one of those two players, I wouldn't mind drafting a DT in the mid-rounds.

I don't think we need a clear-cut starting DT, per se. Really, we need a run-stuffing DT who can play on 1st-and-2nd down. That would allow Brown, Mahelona, and Starks to serve as backups (and rotation parts, giving Albert a break); and it would also allow Rian Long to come in on 3rd down where he could rush the passer.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having another starting caliber DT isn't a bigger need than DE, WR, or CB. I'd put it in the same state of need as a FS. Upgrading that position would be a luxury, not a need. I'd rather re-sign Robaire more than anything, as I think he is adequate opposite Fat Al, and keep Starks, Long, and Brown for passing downs/rotation.

For the draft, I don't think we address DT first day. That is, unless someone of great value drops to us(Okoye or Branch in the first, or Tank Tyler in the second). On the second day, though, I wouldn't mind drafting a run-stuffing DT to help rotate with Albert and Robaire.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I disagree, I think it is a very big need. Even moreso if you take into account that this is the last year of Albert's contract, and he's gonna want to get paid a $#!^load of money. Someone will NO DOUBT give it to him, also, because as inconsistent he may be at times, you just don't find guys that big with that much athleticism very often. Maybe we get a long term deal done with him, but I honestly don't know given his past issues.

I really hope we either bring Robaire or Ian Scott in so this isn't as big a problem, because I would not be cool with Randy Starks starting.

Btw, since TitanHope brought up FS...I don't know if any of you read over at titans central, but jtb posted that a rumor that a reliable source told him the coaching staff wants to start Calvin Lowry next year beside Chris Hope. Hopefully it's true.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forgot it was the last year of Haynesworth's contract... Nevertheless, I still think WR, DE, and CB outrank DT on the need scale, and we have the cap room to re-sign Haynesworth next year...franchise him even. Better DE's may make our current DT's better too. Heck, better DE's will improve every defensive position.

I hope the rumor on Lowry is true...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote