Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: What is the Falcons top need?
CB 15 53.57%
NT 3 10.71%
OLB 5 17.86%
O-line 1 3.57%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Right, right. Because he gets by on technique.

30 year old free agents don't have a great track record, especially when they rely on their athleticism heavily.
He is a 5 time pro bowler, I'm sure he can be a mentor to a young DE. Biermann and Sidbury also rely heavily on their athleticism.

It surprises me that you wouldn't take a shot at this guy. Who gives a **** about 30 year old track records and the ******* history on these free agents? We are ******* desperate man, can't you see that? Peppers had over 10 sacks, 5 FF, 2 ints. That's called making plays. Put him on the team and let him play because we have NO BETTER option to fix this defense then take this route and you know that.

Edit: I don't think he'll play like a 90 year old grandma just 1 year later from a great year like that.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patrick Kerney was injured in 2006 (his last year with us). Then at 30 years old he signed with the seahawks and had a monster year with 14.5 sacks.

That's 14.5 more sacks then our replacement for him (Jamaal Anderson)

You really want to burn a draft pick and start a rookie over signing Julius Peppers?

and don't tell me this crap about technique.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peppers gives us the absolute best chance to win. Plus you have to know that if we are to sign him in an uncapped season, TD is going to structure the contract so it doesn't come close to killing us if a cap is implemented the year after. I really don't see him just falling off a cliff. I agree 6-7 years might be a bad idea, but 4-5 would just be incredible. I mean, we aren't talking about a good player. We are talking about a difference maker. Which is something this defense certainly needs.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
He is a 5 time pro bowler, I'm sure he can be a mentor to a young DE. Biermann and Sidbury also rely heavily on their athleticism.

And that is the reason they weren't top picks. Not due to lack of athleticism, but due to them being raw. He may mentor them, but he's not some technician at the position.

It surprises me that you wouldn't take a shot at this guy. Who gives a **** about 30 year old track records and the ******* history on these free agents? We are ******* desperate man, can't you see that? Peppers had over 10 sacks, 5 FF, 2 ints. That's called making plays. Put him on the team and let him play because we have NO BETTER option to fix this defense then take this route and you know that.

Don't be an idiot. The track record of past free agents is a huge part of it. Yes, Kerney did have a monster year. Since then he's had 10 sacks in 22 games. We're definitely not that desperate, not desperate enough to make a move we're not completely sure of. Our DL could use Peppers, but DB is where the veteran is truly needed.

I'm not worried about his production in year one or two, that would be foolish. But Peppers is going to command a deal of at least five years, and I'm not sure about that. I'm not completely anti-Peppers, but not many free agents play well throughout the duration of their contract. Yes, he could be a monster at 35, similar to Strahan in his later years. But it's far from a sure thing.

Edit: I don't think he'll play like a 90 year old grandma just 1 year later from a great year like that.

Pointless point.
Like I said, I'm not completely against signing Peppers. But I'm not all gung-ho about it. I'm sure he would be fine through the first few years of his contract, but I'm relatively sure he will want a five or six year deal.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not completely against signing Peppers. But I'm not all gung-ho about it. I'm sure he would be fine through the first few years of his contract, but I'm relatively sure he will want a five or six year deal.
Yeah, thats my concern too. Maybe we will backload his deal and make him restructure or something.

My big board:

1. Brandon Graham
-His stock his skyrocketing and all we can hope for is a poor workout. It won't matter how his measurables are though, because he is going to be a monster on the field, in a 4-3 or 3-4. He dominated at the Senior Bowl practices and had a great game. He has had 46 TFL in his last 2 years in Michigan, in addition to his 20 sacks. Perfect type of player to learn from Abraham too.

2. Joe Haden
-Seems to be the consensus #1 CB so far. I can see the CB rankings fluctuating with the 40 times and he might fall to us.

3. Derrick Morgan
-Hometown guy who has prototypical size for a 4-3 end. Probably the #1 ranked DE now though.

4. Perrish Cox
-I am a huge fan of Cox and he seems to be our first realistic choice. He is a big physical guy with great intelligence for the game. He is gonna be a very good pro.

5. JPP
-I don't know how I feel about raw defensive lineman anymore.

6. Kyle Wilson/Patrick Robinson

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:19 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:

I agree, when i first heard this i was like "hrmmm" and im still kinda like that

while it represents the most direct cure for out pass rushing woes it also brings and 30+y/o player with a massive contract to our team. It also would kind of contradict what i think i know about TD and Mike Smith and their thought process to building this team....it just seems a little more McKay than Dimitroff. I also cant help but be skeptical of the dream that we all have of Abe and Peppers at their best on opposite sides...remeber we though we had the same thing with Kearney and Abe and it never quite happened...Abe is aging and both are a little inconsistant.

In saying that though i trust TD and co, if they make the move ill support it...ill have those visions of Abe and Pep running riot and pray they come true...ill trust their ability to manage such a huge contract in an uncapped year probably going into an capped year.

We will see...i dont think its alll that likely though

To me, if it happens then its likely to be Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox at 20. Cox fits better in terms of his skillset however he is 22(my age), already has 3 kids, has been busted with no licence and was suspended for his bowl game, thats in addition to being inconsistant and having a record as not being physical at times.

So, in summary if Peppers and Cox are the DE and CB solutions TD chooses, ill support it and believe we will have a veyr good defence next year...however it will leave me scratching my head as to whether TD and Co think how i currently imagine that do (and did prior to the 2009 draft where their selections only justified my thoughts further)

/out

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-04-2010 at 04:22 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Ahhh I'm still not sure about Graham at #1. I've see the senior bowl, and he looked fantastic. Derrick Morgan is overrated IMO, he's a good player but won't be anything special.

Back to Graham:

Just from evaluating 3 games on youtube...

Negatives: Doesn't get a good jump, usually late and slow. Not good at the point of impact. All his pressure and sacks came from burning fat/slow RT's to the outside. Never seen playing RDE.

Positives: Great contain on running plays, always forces the RB inside. Good wrap- up tackler, but also delivers the big hit. Tries to pop the ball out of the QB's hands. Reads the play well and recognizes right away, smart player.

Honestly I think he'll excel as a 3-4 OLBer. Only problem is that he hasn't shown the ability to cover, but he's a smart player and can pass rush with great ability to stop the run as well.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ahhh I'm still not sure about Graham at #1. I've see the senior bowl, and he looked fantastic. Derrick Morgan is overrated IMO, he's a good player but won't be anything special.

Back to Graham:

Just from evaluating 3 games on youtube...

Negatives: Doesn't get a good jump, usually late and slow. Not good at the point of impact. All his pressure and sacks came from burning fat/slow RT's to the outside. Never seen playing RDE.

Positives: Great contain on running plays, always forces the RB inside. Good wrap- up tackler, but also delivers the big hit. Tries to pop the ball out of the QB's hands. Reads the play well and recognizes right away, smart player.

Honestly I think he'll excel as a 3-4 OLBer. Only problem is that he hasn't shown the ability to cover, but he's a smart player and can pass rush with great ability to stop the run as well.

I agree on Derrick Morgan. I'm going to disagree on Graham. I don't know which games you watch, but he gets off the ball well, does a good job using his hands, and closes very very quickly.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I half agree on Morgan.

I don't think he's going to be a Jared Allen or Freeney type player, and I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on him, but I think he'll be a very good LE for a long time, and would be well worth #20. He's very solid against the run, and would provide a consistent passrush from the strongside.

Agree with ATLDB about Graham.

My board:

1. Morgan
2. Haden (unrealistic)
3. Graham
4. Cox
5. A.N.Other
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrU4mj2y1Ng

Kyle Wilson probably the most likely corner for us....plays alot like Chris Owens....dude sounds smart too....actually sounds like Chris Owens
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Just watched an interview with TD. Nothing major, but the main thing I took away was him saying that this draft was going to be more balanced instead of going almost all defense like last year. That was reassuring. Good to know that he feels we need some offensive upgrades as well. On defense he specifically mentioned the pass rush and the CB play (seemed pretty clear to me that he thought that's where we will go with our first pick) and on offensive he talked about OL depth and the WR position.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im doing the mock on here for ATL ..nobody really offered to do it but I selected Donovan Warren in the first and since ATL does not have a 2nd what postion would you guys like me to go for, still some good players on the board ..ask and I will c if they are still available
Go Amare.
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

defensive end, linebacker, or receiver IMO.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I've got to say, I've got faith in Dimitroff. As it currently stands, I wouldn't really be upset with any of the names linked to us/should be available around our pick.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurry up April! Excited for the combine, very soon.

IDK when the coin toss between 19 and 20 is but even though it may seem irrelevant, it will be important for us to get that 19th spot. Texans also need a CB and would spend a 1st round pick on one. Looks like we are very locked on to Perrish Cox, I hope we don't have that bad luck where he goes just one pick ahead of us. I think we should trade down and get a few more picks. I'm excited to see what comp picks we get as well.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Hurry up April! Excited for the combine, very soon.

IDK when the coin toss between 19 and 20 is but even though it may seem irrelevant, it will be important for us to get that 19th spot. Texans also need a CB and would spend a 1st round pick on one. Looks like we are very locked on to Perrish Cox, I hope we don't have that bad luck where he goes just one pick ahead of us. I think we should trade down and get a few more picks. I'm excited to see what comp picks we get as well.

This obviously depends on FA, but... based on who should/could be available when we pick, give me Brandon Graham. I definitely think CB is a bigger need, but I like Graham a lot more than I like Perrish.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
This obviously depends on FA, but... based on who should/could be available when we pick, give me Brandon Graham. I definitely think CB is a bigger need, but I like Graham a lot more than I like Perrish.
Yup, next 2 months will be exciting.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Yup, next 2 months will be exciting.

I'm very excited. Like I said, as of right now, it will be pretty tough for TD to disappoint me draft wise. FA might be a different story...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm very excited. Like I said, as of right now, it will be pretty tough for TD to disappoint me draft wise. FA might be a different story...
FA has me excited but nervous at the same time. It's so unpredictable. I'm sure we'll bring in a quality starter at either CB, DE or OLB.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like I'm going to the Draft again this year. I was on the ESPN screen last year during the Falcons' pick.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far in Atlantas mock on here I have picked 3 players.
round 1: Donovan Warren CB Michigan
round 3: AJ Edds LB Iowa
round 4: Mike Williams WR Cuse
Go Amare.
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
So far in Atlantas mock on here I have picked 3 players.
round 1: Donovan Warren CB Michigan
round 3: AJ Edds LB Iowa
round 4: Mike Williams WR Cuse
gotta go DE or center next.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Looks like I'm going to the Draft again this year. I was on the ESPN screen last year during the Falcons' pick.
That's awesome. REPRESENT

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Likewise, I prefer Graham to Cox. But yes, it all depends on FA.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
FA has me excited but nervous at the same time. It's so unpredictable. I'm sure we'll bring in a quality starter at either CB, DE or OLB.

And we can't forget about trades either. And he's been pretty bad the past two years, but I really wouldn't mind taking a flier on Cromartie seeing as how we should be picking up some compensation. But, TD will have his opportunity to fill a major need this offseason. Leigh Bodden and Peppers both appear like they will hit FA.