Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: What is the Falcons top need?
CB 15 53.57%
NT 3 10.71%
OLB 5 17.86%
O-line 1 3.57%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like the Mike Johnson pick a ton. At the worst, he's an extremely versatile solid backup. That's definitely something I can live with. I still can't get over Corey Peters though. That's terrible value. We've got a 4th and 2 in 5th/6th. Hopefully we pull a gem out somewhere in there.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Johnson has started more then one game at LT, LG, RG, RT

Most of his starts were at LG. He's over 6'5" and very versatile. I'm loving this pick right now.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing to remember about the Peters pick is Babineaux is staring at a suspension and Jerry is coming off an ACL tear. As far as I'm concerned, at that position you cannot have too many players.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how bout some sexy picks from now on?

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some players I like for round four and five:

RB- Joe McKnight
WR- Dezmon Briscoe, Carlton Mitchell
TE- Anthony McCoy
DE- Greg Hardy, Brandon Lang, Lindsey Witten, Austen Lane, Brandon Sharpe

Some expected big names, but still.

At RB I wouldn't mind a guy who can do some of the same things as Jerious, and McKnight may end up a better pro than collegiate player. Kind of reminds me of LeSean McCoy from last year, as far as pro projection that is. Does some similar things.

Briscoe is a guy I really like for what we need, he excels at plucking the ball out of the air in tight coverage. Jenkins is a big guy, but he's never been one to truly take advantage of that size. Briscoe, along with Mitchell, is one of the only remaining receivers who I can see becoming a legitimate second receiver.

McCoy, good athlete with good size. Some character concerns (weed, wow), but he is a tight end with starting potential and he's still available. Good player to play behind Gonzalez.

At end, I like a lot of players. Some have starting potential (Greg Hardy, Lang, Lane), while others are more of situational pass rushers (Witten, Sharpe), but we need boddies at the position and I feel that there are a good number of players still remaining who know how to get to the QB.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 04-23-2010 at 10:19 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't take a DE at all, we are deeper there than people outside of Atlanta think, Sidbury and Biermann are ready for big time play. At this point would anyone we draft supplant Chauncey Davis?

If we were to go for a sexy pick I would like it to be Joe McKnight, but I am not sure he makes it to our pick in the 4th.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Any word on what position Mike Johnson will play?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:04 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't take a DE at all, we are deeper there than people outside of Atlanta think, Sidbury and Biermann are ready for big time play. At this point would anyone we draft supplant Chauncey Davis?

If we were to go for a sexy pick I would like it to be Joe McKnight, but I am not sure he makes it to our pick in the 4th.
I view DE and WR as similar needs; we can get by at either position with the players we currently have, but an impressive player at either position could make a difference on the team. A starter needed more so than depth.

But I wouldn't mind a situational pass rusher or a guy with big time potential at end, because I do see issues at that position. The pass rush was lackluster last season, and we only have four true players at the position, none being legitimate threats off the edge (save Abe if he returns to form).

I don't mind the guys we have, but betting on Sidbury/ Biermann for the future is rather risky considering how vital a pass rush is in today's NFL.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Abraham oscillates from godlike to mediocre, he is still young enough to have a good campaign.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Mike Johnson was mostly a LG in college, so I expect him to battle blalock for that spot this year and in future. If anything he'll be a great back up for every position along the O-line including center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Dimitroff
"I can't stress enough how his abilities add versatility to a line, not only at offensive tackle, or offensive guard but also at the center position."

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 04-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Really, now that we have 'Spoon, I am ready to go for the season. Any player from our third rounders on was going to be a bench/rotation player. Our biggest priority is to get Douglas/Moore/Jerry healthy and producing. That will be a big the boost that we need to get over the hump.

QB - Matt Ryan
RB - Michael Turner
FB - Ovie Mughelli
TE - Tony Gonzalez
WR - Roddy White
WR - Michael Jenkins
WR - Harry Douglas
LT - Sam Baker
LG - Justin Blalock
OC - Todd McClure
RG - Harvey Dahl
RT - Tyson Clabo

key reserves

Jason Snelling RB
Jerious Norwood RB
Mike Johnson G/T/C

CB - Dunta Robinson
CB - Brian Williams
NB - Brent Grimes
FS - Thomas Decoud
SS - William Moore (crossing fingers)
WLB - Sean Weatherspoon
MLB - Curtis Lofton
SLB - Stephen Nicolas
RE - John Abraham
DT - Jonathan Babineaux
DT - Peria Jerry
LE - Kroy Biermann

reserves

Corey Peters
Thomas Johnson
Lawrence Sidbury
Chauncey Davis
Erik Coleman
Chris Owens
Mike Peterson (at all three spots)

Last edited by Shiver : 04-24-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:15 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Nothing wrong with the Peters pick. The coaching staff moaned all offseason long about the push in the middle. Jerry back will help, but a third passrusher will definitely contribute, and that's exactly what Peters is. They paid a lot of attention to him in workouts, they clearly like him, so I trust that decision.

Also, I don't agree at all that it's a poor value. He's in the next couple of DTs off the board whatever, in a quality, deep DT class.

Really like the Johnson pick. Versatile, experienced, and a hard worker - exactly what you want in a backup. He'll push Blalock, backup everywhere, and ultimately give us flexibility when it comes to resigning Blalock, Dahl, and Clabo. He could even be our center of the future.

Something is clearly going on with Griffen. Very curious.

I'd expect our 4th pick to be TE or WR, although I would not be surprised if we went with more O-line depth.

I agree that, at this stage, a DE is unlikely to make the roster. He certainly wouldn't displace Abe, Biermann, or Sid, and I can't see him displacing Davis or even Anderson (because of his versatility). I think that we'll draft an athletic project to stash on the PS, but probably not til the 5th or 6th.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I agree with Shiver. We have five significant upgrades this offseason (excluding future injuries, of course): Robinson, Jerry, Spoon, Douglas, and Moore.

Everything else is about depth, versatility, and looking to the future.

Regardless of being happy with the Peter pick, I am a little pissed to miss out on Jimmy Graham, especially to the Aints.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

TD presser talked about how important his versatility was at all 3 spots, but especially as a G/T. I think we are going to wait a bit until he settles in somewhere. Personally, I think he's a guard of the future. Listening to Thomas think, I think all of us rooting for the Bruce Campbell's of the world are going to be disappointed. TD always seems to preach consistency and intelligence.

With that being said, some people I'd love today:

RB Joe McKnight, WR Cartlon Mitchell, WR Antonio Brown, TE Dorin Dickerson, OT Selvish Capers, OT Bruce Campbell, C Matt Tennant, OLB O'Brien Schofield, MLB Darryl Sharpton, CB Perrish Cox, CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Walter McFadden, S Myron Rolle, K Leigh Tiffin, KR Trindon Holliday
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Still struggling to see Corey Peters. Who here would rather him than Vance Walker as the #3 rotational DT at this point?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Some CBS Rapid Reports Stuff

OG Mike Johnson on the notion that all three Falcons draft picks are college graduates: "I think intelligence is one of the big things (OL) coach (Paul) Boudreau was looking for in our meetings together. It's a big thing, especially for offensive linemen."

GM Thomas Dimitroff on tomorrow's draft outlook, with five picks remaining: "We have it calculated and are pretty definitive with our direction right now."

"Football intelligence is a big part of what we're tyring to develop here and both of our picks today fall in line with what we need," GM Thomas Dimitroff said.

CBSSports.com graded DT Corey Peters in the third or fourth round, but some outlets had him projected later. "I saw some of the projections, but I visited four teams (Falcons, Titans, Ravens, Jets) and I asked the coaches where I'd go and it was much higher than the projections."
Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

=/

Gues that says Johnson is a future center.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Another ****** pick.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Would have preferred Perrish Cox, but Franks is a very nice pick.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
=/

Gues that says Johnson is a future center.
Nope, I'd say the opposite.

Hawley has started almost as many games at C as at OG.

Another guy that they brought in for a work out, clearly liked, and decided to pick. When you get down into the 5th round, I'm not too fussed about value.

By the way, though, is it just me or is the rest of the NFC South having an outstanding draft (whereas I'd say ours is just solid)?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I'll take a 'solid' and boring draft, adding a stud OLB and adding depth to the trenches is fine by me. We could have gone with more sexy playmakers, but were kinda setting up to be a blue-collar football team instead.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Saints are killing us. They just traded up for Tennant.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Meier is Brian Finneran's replacement. How do we not go with Dorin Dickerson or Mitchell there though?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Saints are killing us. They just traded up for Tennant.
Doesn't matter we got our center.

Kerry Meier is a good pick. A lot of upside.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Hey look, a guy who's going to get cut. Good work Thomas.