Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 03-04-2011, 07:48 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

skins have a 1st, 2nd, two 5ths, a 6th, and two 7ths I believe.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks.

They actually have some picks to work with. I'm not a die-hard Skins fan by any means but I do follow them since they are my local team. I think Shanahan is doing a pretty good job trying to get this organization in shape. Portis and Carter are gone and Otogowe was signed.

Do you think they will get rid of Haynesworth/McNabb? If so, what compensation do you think they can get?

What do you think the Skins team needs are? They do need to get young throughout the roster.

My opinion of team needs:
QB
OLB/Pass Rush compliment to Orakpo
CB
WR
RT
ILB

I think Shanahan has had pretty good success finding mid-late round interior o-linemen. Perhaps he can find a diamond in the rough RT.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im actually not overly concerned with finding a RT (as long as we retain j.brown) as much as I am finding young talent on the interior at guard and center. rabach is awful and needs to be replaced and we have no real young talent that fits shanahans zbs at guard either. each of the other positions you mention, i agree with. cornerback is the one though that will depend mostly on whether or not we keep carlos rogers/phil buchanon.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post

Do you think they will get rid of Haynesworth/McNabb? If so, what compensation do you think they can get?
I seriously doubt anyone will give us anything for Fat Al...a 6th or 7th at best IMO...

Someone really good will drop to us at 10 that we didn't expect to be there I believe, similar to how Orakpo did. There should be some exceptional talent available in that spot...I'm just hoping they don't take Locker there instead.

If they want him hopefully they trade back into the late first or he drops to the 2nd round pick or something
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
I seriously doubt anyone will give us anything for Fat Al...a 6th or 7th at best IMO...

Someone really good will drop to us at 10 that we didn't expect to be there I believe, similar to how Orakpo did. There should be some exceptional talent available in that spot...I'm just hoping they don't take Locker there instead.

If they want him hopefully they trade back into the late first or he drops to the 2nd round pick or something
dont be at all surprised if lockers not even there at 10.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
dont be at all surprised if lockers not even there at 10.
I hope to God we don't draft Locker @#10 - I think I would puke blood if that happened. I'm not even sure I'd be happy with him @ #41. I realize Shanny liked him last year but I haven't heard anything to that effect lately. The only thing I have seen is Locker @#10 in a lot of mocks.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we sign Mike Sims Walker, he is exactly what we need and would save us some picks.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:42 AM    (permalink
treyskins
Rookie

treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.

Firstly,shouldn't we be starting a new thread for the 2011 Draft?

Secondly, with big bucks tied up with D.A.Hall/Otogwe and soon to be Landry,it is looking very unlikely they bother to keep Rogers.
That and with the cowboys looking to get a defensive lineman(they'll let marcus spears walk?) means CB Amukamara could well be the skins choice at ten.
Then they'll go QB in round 2 unless Shanny gets antsy and trades up before the seahawks pick in round 1(although there is a lot of d-line/lb/o-line talent in round2).

Thirdly,i dont wanna get your hopes up but the skins should well get more than a 7th rounder from the colts for justin tryon, maybe even a low 5th!
treyskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What QB in round 2? Gabbert+Newton are top 20 picks, and it now appears that hell Locker might even go before our 10th pick maybe to the Titans. I just don't like 2nd round QB's. No way in hell I'm touching Mallett, and Shanny won't like his character and horrendous footwork/mobility. So it's basically up to 3 QB's in the 2nd in Dalton, Ponder, and Kaepernick. Dalton is just ok and doesn't profile to more than a stop gap QB. He's like a poor man's Colt McCoy who went much later in the draft. Ponder I've seen far too much of him to be fooled by his strong offseason. I wouldn't take him till the third at the earliest if we had one. Kaepernick is just too much of a project. IMO Locker is the pick at #10 unless he is taken before #10. Then we would go best defensive player. I'm convinced that if Locker is gone and either Cam or Gabbert are still on the board we won't take them.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
What QB in round 2? Gabbert+Newton are top 20 picks, and it now appears that hell Locker might even go before our 10th pick maybe to the Titans. I just don't like 2nd round QB's. No way in hell I'm touching Mallett, and Shanny won't like his character and horrendous footwork/mobility. So it's basically up to 3 QB's in the 2nd in Dalton, Ponder, and Kaepernick. Dalton is just ok and doesn't profile to more than a stop gap QB. He's like a poor man's Colt McCoy who went much later in the draft. Ponder I've seen far too much of him to be fooled by his strong offseason. I wouldn't take him till the third at the earliest if we had one. Kaepernick is just too much of a project. IMO Locker is the pick at #10 unless he is taken before #10. Then we would go best defensive player. I'm convinced that if Locker is gone and either Cam or Gabbert are still on the board we won't take them.
NO qb in rd 2. no matter what. 2nd round qbs have the lowest rate of success in the nfl. theres a reason that no one took that qb in the first round.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
I hope we sign Mike Sims Walker, he is exactly what we need and would save us some picks.
i wouldnt be pissed but i wouldnt be overly excited with that signing either. armstrong had a more productive year than sims walker last season and i wouldnt be surprised to see armstrong beat out sims walker for the 2 spot. could definitely help with depth but i worry about sims walkers attitude if he is the #3 wr. i just dont see him being a #1 for us ever.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
i wouldnt be pissed but i wouldnt be overly excited with that signing either. armstrong had a more productive year than sims walker last season and i wouldnt be surprised to see armstrong beat out sims walker for the 2 spot. could definitely help with depth but i worry about sims walkers attitude if he is the #3 wr. i just dont see him being a #1 for us ever.
Armstrong is a one trick pony though. Sims Walker is a complete receiver. Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and he's a heck of a find but he constantly had one on one coverage with rarely safety help. If teams actually wanted to key in on him he wouldn't be that good. He made some tough inside catches but overall his route running and toughness are not great.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick

Quote:
Armstrong is a one trick pony though. Sims Walker is a complete receiver. Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and he's a heck of a find but he constantly had one on one coverage with rarely safety help. If teams actually wanted to key in on him he wouldn't be that good. He made some tough inside catches but overall his route running and toughness are not great.
The thing is that Armstrong shouldn't be a feature WR, he should be used as a complement. Moss and Armstrong are a really good 2-3 combo. If we can snag Julio, IMO, our WRs would be set.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
toddmlazarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

I don't want to go WR unless it's Julio or AJ. I just don't like any of the 2nd round receivers unless Torrey Smith drops. Hate Baldwin, Titus Young is too small for what we need, same for Jernigan. I could stand Hankerson and I do like Cobb despite his size.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baldwin in the 2nd would be upsetting, Hankerson is the only guy I really like but not so sure he is a #1. At this point I'm down with Julio, AJ, Dareus, Quinn, Fairley if he drops. I would really like to address the front 7 with our first pick.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

i dont want anything to do with baldwin, hankerson, titus, or jernigan. i like jernigan and titus as prospects but they just dont fit what we need. id much rather hope for a guy like tandon doss or greg little later in the draft. we simply dont have enough picks this year to address all the areas we need young talent and we have to accept that this will be a 2-3 year process. thats why i hope we take the best player available at the positions of need (almost everywhere except te, safety, lt) in the 1st and 2nd round.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Caller: "Vinny, would you draft Newton?"
Vinny: "No, I wouldn't."
Caller: "Ok, then I would."
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Caller: "Vinny, would you draft Newton?"
Vinny: "No, I wouldn't."
Caller: "Ok, then I would."
Haha thats great...I miss living in DC now cause I can't hear dumb quotes from Vinny anymore
Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
Haha thats great...I miss living in DC now cause I can't hear dumb quotes from Vinny anymore
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/...ise-in-studio/

lol...I found the audio from the interview with Vinny the other day...this is some high comedy right here.

Wise: "The 2008 draft set us back for years, would you say that draft was a total strikeout?"

Vinny: "Well Fred Davis is ok"

About Jason Taylor trade:

Vinny: "Our top defensive player Philip Daniels went down and there was a hall of famer out there" WTF? LOL

Caller: "One great thing you did"

Vinny: "Resigning Samuels" haha wow so great

Wise: "You kept reloading and had the least amount of draft picks, why didn't you step back and rebuild"

Vinny: "We rebuilt with veteran players under Gibbs" hahaha

Caller: "Was the team better the day you left than when you started"

Vinny: "I would say no"

Draft Grades:

Patrick Ramsey

Vinny: "C" haha really?

Vinny hates Zorn real hard, pretty much blames him for getting him fired lol
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

hahaha wow that is pure gold.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Mock Offseason 3.11.2011:

Notable Release/Let Go
Maake Kemoeatu, NT
Rocky McIntosh, ILB
Carlos Rogers, CB
Philip Daniels, DE
Kedric Gholston, DL
Stephon Heyer, OL
Mike Sellers, FB
Jammal Brown, OT
Andre Carter, DE/OLB (Done)

Resign
Santana Moss, WR
Will Montgomery, OG/C
Anthony Armstrong, WR
Phil Buchanon, CB
Reed Doughty, SS
H.B. Blades, ILB
Chris Wilson, OLB
Anthony Bryant, NT
Rex Grossman, QB

FA Pickups
Ryan Harris, OT
Sidney Rice, WR or Malcolm Floyd, WR or Mike Sims-Walker, WR or James Jones, WR
Stephen Tulloch, ILB
OJ Atogwe, FS (Done)

Trade
Redskins give Pick #10 to NE Patriots for Pick #17 and Pick #60

Draft
Round 1, Pick 17 - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
If Shanahan and Allen view Locker as a franchise quarterback than they won't wait until the 2nd round and hope that he falls. If you are sold on a QB for your future than you take him in the 1st round. I really do like the intangibles that Locker brings and I think he is a prospect that will work his ass off. Hopefully he doesnt get thrown to the wolves too soon though because he clearly has some aspects of his game that still need development.

Round 2, Pick 44 - Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple, DL
A behemoth of a man with incredible athleticism and a perfect fit for the Skins dline. He's seen his stock raise recently but with the sheer quantity of 3-4 DL talent in this years draft theres a good chance we can still pick up dl talent with this pick.

Round 2, Pick 60 - Ben Ijalana, OT/OG, Villanova
Ijalana has incredible versatility to play RT or OG and since we won't know whether or not we are able to retain JBrown or sign another quality RT in FA, this kind of versatility provides a ton of upside. Ultimately, I'd love to slide Ijalana inside with a guy like Ryan Harris at RT.

Round 5, Pick 140 - Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska
Paul was supposedly timed with a 4.40 40 at his pro day after a respectable 4.5 at the combine. I've always been high on Paul as a prospect and could see him going higher than this on draft day but right now his stock is relatively uncertain between the 4th and 5th round or so. He had a quiet year and missed a couple games but has performed well in the senior bowl, combine, and pro day so far. I think he's got a lot of upside and wasnt properly utilized at Nebraska.

Round 5, Pick 154 (via NO) - Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
Good pass rusher with a lot of upside. He's got unbelievable burst off the edge. Will need some work learning coverage but has the speed and athleticism to succeed.

Round 6, Pick 172 - Chris Neild, NT, West Virginia

Round 7, Pick 204 - Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State

Round 7, Pick 216 (vid Ind) - Brandon Saine, RB, Ohio State
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

I honestly would keep Rocky, he did well enough inside last year and can be moved outside if need be. Even though the fit isn't great I think he's too quality of a player to let go. I agree with the rest of your guys you want to let go of although will have to see what kind of contract Jamaal asks for. If it is reasonable I want to keep him. If we resign Moss we can't go after Rice or Floyd anymore because of what they will demand. MSW seems like the most likely. Also you had us letting go of Carlos but didn't address it through draft or free agency. I definitely don't trust Buchanon or Barnes as our starting CB. Love the draft except in my newest mock I'll have out soon I have Ijalana going first round to the Steelers and can't see him dropping from the first half of the second round. Also have Carter going in the 3rd round due to the depth of rush backers after Sheard being incredibly thin. But hey if that was our offseason I would be overjoyed. Love the trade down but at this point I'm starting to think that if we want Locker we will have to take him at #10 especially if Newton and Gabbert are gone by 10.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Definitely could see Ijalana going earlier but wouldnt be surprised to see him available either given the quantity of late first/early 2nd tiered OTs and him being from a small school with relatively minimal experience against strong competition. id be happy with Wisniewski, Hudson, or Boling too if Ijalana was taken already.

I think at this point it should be obvious that we cannot address every need in one offseason. I'm not willing to pay Carlos Rogers top 5 cb money and I would like to see Barnes given the opportunity to step up with an improved DLine and pass rush. Buchanon played better than I expected last year and I'd bring him back and also maybe look for another vet in FA.

I'm completely against bringing back Rocky. I really like him, always have, but if we want this defense to succeed we have to dump guys that don't fit and find players that do. If we resign him we are looking at another 4-5 years of mediocrity at best from him and trying to force him into a role that doesnt fit his strengths.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

so my understanding is that the the next decision will be from the court which will either side with the owners on the lockout or with the players which would overturn the lockout. if the lockout is overturned in court (estimated 1-4 weeks but Schefter says closer to 4) than everything would revert to 2010 rules where there was no salary cap, etc. That means RFAs remain RFAs and the FA class gets much weaker than it could be similar to last year.

if the lockout is overturned prior to the draft, than players can be traded which would be a huge change in strategies. although there is a chance that the owners will appeal and extend the process. its all very confusing with major draft impact depending on decisions made between now and then.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

At the NFL Scouting Combine last month, Shanahan told reporters that he was establishing a system that that would allow the club to “have a lot more draft picks.”

He did not divulge specifics, but his statement suggests the team could be less inclined to trade picks for players and more aggressive in terms of trading down to acquire more picks.

“It’s a process,” said Shanahan, in his second season in Washington. “You bring in a certain way to scout. A lot of times, Washington in the past has traded away a lot of draft choices and they didn’t have many draft choices. Hopefully with the system that we have, we’ll have a lot more draft picks.”