Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
I would take Bush on a cheap deal. Won't have to use a pick on a RB in the draft and you can make him the full time return man, something else that we need.
didnt even think about the return game value that bush would bring but your right. he is a beast in the return game and would be 10 times better than having randel el back there.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would definitely take bush in a heart beat. dont mind that at all.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But if there's no cap, I don't think it's out of the question that he stays. Saints are going to want nice compensation, no doubt. He won't be cheap.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
But if there's no cap, I don't think it's out of the question that he stays. Saints are going to want nice compensation, no doubt. He won't be cheap.
i think theres a better chance of him getting cut if theres no cap because there will be no cap penalty. i dont think that we will be without cap forever. i am not saying to pay him vet min but i dont think hes going to get 25-30 mil guaranteed either.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
treyskins
Rookie

treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.

Some good ideas on the 2010 draft Dirty Thirty.

Would be happy with Okung or McCoy,but Berry-havent we taken too many Safeties with top 10 picks(i dont know which team will invest their money in a safety,he could be top 5 talent that falls out of the first ten taken).
Huff,Whitner and Landry...............maybe its time to look at the Lines.

If the skins end up with picking around 5-7,then my early guesses are that Cleveland and ST. Louis take Q.B's Clausen and Locker,
Tampa probably take Suh or Okung,
Detroit likely Okung or Suh
Kansas McCoy or wideout Bryant

So if Okung and McCoy are gone and the skins can find no-one to trade down with,who will they take?

Was thinking about drew Brees,didnt he get a bad shoulder injury when with san diego and the saints took a chance on him?
If we do get a coach like Shanahan who likes a kind of west coast offense,would he look at sam Bradford at that spot?

Get him in behind a vet for a year or two while the o-line is re-built.
If Bradford hadnt have been injured would he have been the best rated quarterback for 2010?
Would Bradford be a good fit for a W.C.O.
Could his injury and surgery be a blessing in disguise for the skins?

The guy is also part native american,might be able to lift this curse that seems to linger with the Redskins since Gibbs mark 1 left town.

Of course if vinny is still here then we will go full bore and trade up for notre dame's jimmy Clausen.
treyskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyskins View Post
Some good ideas on the 2010 draft Dirty Thirty.

Would be happy with Okung or McCoy,but Berry-havent we taken too many Safeties with top 10 picks(i dont know which team will invest their money in a safety,he could be top 5 talent that falls out of the first ten taken).
Huff,Whitner and Landry...............maybe its time to look at the Lines.

If the skins end up with picking around 5-7,then my early guesses are that Cleveland and ST. Louis take Q.B's Clausen and Locker,
Tampa probably take Suh or Okung,
Detroit likely Okung or Suh
Kansas McCoy or wideout Bryant

So if Okung and McCoy are gone and the skins can find no-one to trade down with,who will they take?

Was thinking about drew Brees,didnt he get a bad shoulder injury when with san diego and the saints took a chance on him?
If we do get a coach like Shanahan who likes a kind of west coast offense,would he look at sam Bradford at that spot?

Get him in behind a vet for a year or two while the o-line is re-built.
If Bradford hadnt have been injured would he have been the best rated quarterback for 2010?
Would Bradford be a good fit for a W.C.O.
Could his injury and surgery be a blessing in disguise for the skins?

The guy is also part native american,might be able to lift this curse that seems to linger with the Redskins since Gibbs mark 1 left town.

Of course if vinny is still here then we will go full bore and trade up for notre dame's jimmy Clausen.
That is hilarious! :D You sound so serious.

But you are right... You could go QB first and then draft OL later. So long as you're convinced that you're getting the right QB.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

for me bradfords issues are more than just his injuries. although his injuries are a major concern. i do not believe in paying a qb top 5 money in the draft that has so many question marks. quarterbacks that come from a spread offense have a much lower success rate in the nfl than those that take snaps under center and its proven that it takes them 2-3 more years than most qbs to transition. bradfords arm strength is only average, he floats balls, his mechanics are not great, and i dont think he has a huge upside. if the skins traded back into the early 20s and he was on the board than id consider taking the chance but NOT in the top 5 or even 10.

also, dont consider berry just as a safety prospect. he is a top 10 cb prospect as well. im still not opposed to joe haden either if we win a game or two and slide back closer to the 10 spot.

okung, suh, mccoy, berry. one of them should be available with the 5th pick.

if the skins drafted any qb in the first round this year the only guy id be optimistic about is ryan mallett.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I don't think Haden is THAT special. First rounder, ok. Top 10? uh ah.

I also agree that this year's QB class is sneaky... might end up with a stud or dud. Putting that kind of money is a big risk. Go safe and take Rolando McClain. Fletcher is old.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like Mallett. Yes he has a monster arm, but all he has is that cannon. He has no touch whatsover on his throw. All his throws are one speed and on the NFL level that will lead to so many picks and accuracy issues.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think Haden is THAT special. First rounder, ok. Top 10? uh ah.

I also agree that this year's QB class is sneaky... might end up with a stud or dud. Putting that kind of money is a big risk. Go safe and take Rolando McClain. Fletcher is old.
i do love mcclain. fletcher may be old but he is still BEASTING it. with the way hes playing right now hes making it easy for the skins to address other needs in the draft. i can see taking a mid round mlb to take a chance on as a future replacement like they did with HB Blades, who plays decent at times, but until fletchers play drops off some i cant see spending a first rounder on a replacement with the other needs we have.

i actually like haden a lot. hes fast, phyisical, can cover and tackle and has pretty decent hands. i dont think hes top 5 but id say hes definitely in that 8-14 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
I don't like Mallett. Yes he has a monster arm, but all he has is that cannon. He has no touch whatsover on his throw. All his throws are one speed and on the NFL level that will lead to so many picks and accuracy issues.
im not saying im in love with or enamored by mallett. i dolike him more than clausen, locker, or bradford but i agree with your points. he isnt perfect either.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
i do love mcclain. fletcher may be old but he is still BEASTING it. with the way hes playing right now hes making it easy for the skins to address other needs in the draft. i can see taking a mid round mlb to take a chance on as a future replacement like they did with HB Blades, who plays decent at times, but until fletchers play drops off some i cant see spending a first rounder on a replacement with the other needs we have.

i actually like haden a lot. hes fast, phyisical, can cover and tackle and has pretty decent hands. i dont think hes top 5 but id say hes definitely in that 8-14 range.

im not saying im in love with or enamored by mallett. i dolike him more than clausen, locker, or bradford but i agree with your points. he isnt perfect either.
I dunno about Haden being physical. Maybe. He gives up a lot of big plays for a guy being so highly touted. I don't care though... as long as you guys don't get Perrish Cox, I'll be happy.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
I dunno about Haden being physical. Maybe. He gives up a lot of big plays for a guy being so highly touted. I don't care though... as long as you guys don't get Perrish Cox, I'll be happy.
STRIP loves Perrish Cox and has me convinced that hes a stud. I dont know a lot about the guy but hes definitely sounds like someone I hope we look at in the early 2nd if we get oline in the first. as long as we get oline in one of the first two rounds at a minimum.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't like any of the QB's that much in this year's draft. Certainly not enough to draft any of them top 10. I'd rather have Colt Brennan.

Although, if/when a new coach comes in, who knows whats going to happen then.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only Qb that intrigues me is Clausen. Trading back to get a guy like McClain or Davis makes more sense to me right now though.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

You may have to stay where you are or even move up to get Davis. I think he'll be the first tackle taken.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
treyskins
Rookie

treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.

Interesting, Davis before Okung.

Anybody any thoughts on junior Tackle bryan Bulaga?

Might be a better fit if we get a coach like shanny and his zone blocking.
treyskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

So after this weekends games I think things have shaken up again on by big board. After bowl games I will update again. In the meantime here are some thoughts. I will add my big board soon.

Oline
Dockery has been the only one on the line who has been consistently impressive to me all year. he has 2 penalties on the year and has only given up 2 sacks and 4 pressures. Thats pretty damn good.

Heyer and Rabach are the only other guys that have played most of the games and where Dockery has been impressive, Heyer and Rabach have been consistently awful. Rabach has 6 penalties on the year and 11 pressures. He's aging and on the downside of his career. Heyers got 10 penalties, 6 sacks, and 25 qb pressures...Thats downright disturbing.

Rhinehart looked good in his limited time before his injury. Levin Jones has been mostly impressive in his short stint starting so far. He didnt fair well against Trent Cole but he did quite well this weekend against Will Smith and 2 weeks ago against the Cowboys. No one else on the line imo is even worth mentioning.

With that said, I am confident at LG and hopeful that Jones can continue to improve and hopefully turn into a decent starting RT for us next year. Every other position on the line needs and upgrade. In order of preference, I'd go LT, C, RG.

Secondary
Let's start with the positive...we have 3 starting SS's on the roster...Reed has played very well since moving into the starting role. Horton, prior to injury was playing at a high level as well. Playing FS, Landry shows flashes of brilliance followed by flashes of pure stupidity. At this point it is fairly obvious that he is playing out of position.

In all likelihood, we will need to address CB this offseason. I am going under the assumption that either Carlos Rogers walks in FA, or will request a trade as a RFA. DHall, whether skins fans like it or not, will be 1 of 2 starting corners for the next 3-4 years. Tryon appeared to show significant improvement before his injury and Barnes didnt play too bad against NO. There is hope that one will prove worthy of starting opposite of Hall but I see both more as nickle options next year. I've always loved Smoot but his play has definitely regressed and he has serious injury concerns.

Other positions of need

QB - Real tough call. There are 3 primary factors that will dictate how the Skins address qb this offseason. First, is the cap situation. If we go uncapped than Campbell as a RFA could stay for another year or possibly be traded. If a cap agreement is reached than it is likely that Campbell signs elsewhere. The second factor is the coaching/gm situation. Depending on who runs this team next year will greatly dictate how we address the qb position. The final factor imo will be what qbs are cut by other teams this offseason. The FA class is not very strong but there are a couple qbs that might get cut during the offseason due to $$ that could gain interest from the Skins. I personally do NOT want to draft a qb this year in the first two rounds.

RB - I still love CP. I think he gets a bad wrap. However, we absolutely do need another rb to share the load, especially one with big play ability. Portis has shown that he isn't the mid 20s stud anymore that can carry the running game on his shoulders. I dont feel that Rock or Betts give us that dimension. Is that guy Mason? Unlikely.

LB - I'd love next year to see a consistent DE rotation of Carter, Orakpo, and Jarmon, with Orakpo and Carter starting. For this to be possible, we have to resign McIntosh and find someone who can start at strongside. I do think that Orakpo is a special talent and can develop into a stud at strongside but I think he would be best utilized at DE. Also, as much of a beast LFB is, he's pushing the wrong side of 30. Adding depth at LB will be something that needs to be addressed.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just going to assume Campbell is our QB for next year. Hoping that we have a pick in the top 5 or so I would love to draft Okung. He is the only guy I think worthy of that pick for our team.

Suh or McCoy would be interesting to pair along with Haynesworth but that would be a luxury pick. We would have almost $150 million tied up in DT's.

The next option I am really falling in love with is hopefully trading back a few spots, anywhere in the 9-14 range or so and going after Spiller. This guy is as dynamic a RB in this draft class and he can do it all in the return game as well. Portis is getting older and banged up and they could make a dynamic duo until Portis is let go. It is so apparent that fresh legs are a must in the NFL today and I actually like what Ganther has done in limited time but Spiller is freaking amazing.

I think Spiller has top 10 potential so if we miss on him a guy like McClain is someone I would love to go after as well. I don't know for sure but I think he could come in and play the SLB thus moving Orakpo to his true posistion at DE where he is most effective as we all know. McClain could also move over to MLB after LFB retires.

Last resort if we miss on those guys I think it wouldn't be a popular pick but bringing in a guy like Joe Haden could really shore up this secondary. He has great instincts and is a good tackler as well.

Assuming we get a 2nd round pick in a trade back then we absolutely have to go after an offensive lineman. Someone like Ciron Black, Mike Iupati or Charles Brown would be ideal. Being a WV fan, trust me, we dont want Capers.

Thoughts?

Steddy Ambition!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
I'm just going to assume Campbell is our QB for next year. Hoping that we have a pick in the top 5 or so I would love to draft Okung. He is the only guy I think worthy of that pick for our team.

Suh or McCoy would be interesting to pair along with Haynesworth but that would be a luxury pick. We would have almost $150 million tied up in DT's.

The next option I am really falling in love with is hopefully trading back a few spots, anywhere in the 9-14 range or so and going after Spiller. This guy is as dynamic a RB in this draft class and he can do it all in the return game as well. Portis is getting older and banged up and they could make a dynamic duo until Portis is let go. It is so apparent that fresh legs are a must in the NFL today and I actually like what Ganther has done in limited time but Spiller is freaking amazing.

I think Spiller has top 10 potential so if we miss on him a guy like McClain is someone I would love to go after as well. I don't know for sure but I think he could come in and play the SLB thus moving Orakpo to his true posistion at DE where he is most effective as we all know. McClain could also move over to MLB after LFB retires.

Last resort if we miss on those guys I think it wouldn't be a popular pick but bringing in a guy like Joe Haden could really shore up this secondary. He has great instincts and is a good tackler as well.

Assuming we get a 2nd round pick in a trade back then we absolutely have to go after an offensive lineman. Someone like Ciron Black, Mike Iupati or Charles Brown would be ideal. Being a WV fan, trust me, we dont want Capers.

Thoughts?
Drafting Spiller with this Oline would be a wasted pick IMO. I'm also not a big fan of drafting RBs with high picks - you can get good RBS in the 2nd - 4th rounds (e.g. Ray Rice).
To me the priorities have to be Oline and QB (assuming Campbell is not here in 2010). Moving Orakpo to full time DE is something I've been advocating all season. Personally I would draft AJ Edds in the 4th and have him compete with Chris Wilson for the OLB spot. I like the idea of trading back and getting extra picks, though. I would really look at guys like Jason Fox or Iupati in the 2nd if we do go QB in R1.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have long been a proponent of drafting Spiller. It's one pick. You can't rebuild your O-line with one pick. Other than Okung, Berry, and Suh I don't want to reach on an OT or CB just because it's a need. If you have been granted a top 10 pick it better be a talented player and not just filling a need. Teams like the Ravens and Patriots have shown how drafting talent over need is the way to go. Now if talent goes along with need like Okung or Berry than yeah it's a no brainer but I'm taking talent over a 2nd tier Olineman. And true you can find a solid RB in the mid rounds but you sure as heck won't find a RB with 4.3 world class speed every year. Spiller is such a unique talent. A blend of athleticism and skill. He has a much better build than he's given credit for. He also is almost like a receiver out of the backfield. Also I don't buy a RB being a wasted pick because of our poor O-line. Even with the porous O-line in place we aren't awful run blockers. In fact every one of our O-lineman's strength is run blocking. I mean two guys who wouldn't make most NFL rosters in Rock and Ganther have been solid showing you can do it if you just hit the hole hard. Spiller hits the hole and doesn't bounce everything like Reggie Bush. I think having a threat like that who can change a game from a numerous amount of positions and scenarios can spark an offense like ours. Drafting a QB behind this O-line is a far greater worry than a HB behind this O-line. Having a RB who is an equal threat as a receiver makes the defense keep an extra spy and not always bail on the blitz as they have to worry about a screen pass or wheel route.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

i hear you strip. i dont want to reach either. at this point its too early to really know what is and isnt a reach. but when it comes to draft day i do want someone in the top 5 or 10 that is going to be an impact player rather than reaching for a need. that said, if there is an impact player at a need position than thats my first choice. ie. okung.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I have long been a proponent of drafting Spiller. It's one pick. You can't rebuild your O-line with one pick. Other than Okung, Berry, and Suh I don't want to reach on an OT or CB just because it's a need. If you have been granted a top 10 pick it better be a talented player and not just filling a need. Teams like the Ravens and Patriots have shown how drafting talent over need is the way to go. Now if talent goes along with need like Okung or Berry than yeah it's a no brainer but I'm taking talent over a 2nd tier Olineman. And true you can find a solid RB in the mid rounds but you sure as heck won't find a RB with 4.3 world class speed every year. Spiller is such a unique talent. A blend of athleticism and skill. He has a much better build than he's given credit for. He also is almost like a receiver out of the backfield. Also I don't buy a RB being a wasted pick because of our poor O-line. Even with the porous O-line in place we aren't awful run blockers. In fact every one of our O-lineman's strength is run blocking. I mean two guys who wouldn't make most NFL rosters in Rock and Ganther have been solid showing you can do it if you just hit the hole hard. Spiller hits the hole and doesn't bounce everything like Reggie Bush. I think having a threat like that who can change a game from a numerous amount of positions and scenarios can spark an offense like ours. Drafting a QB behind this O-line is a far greater worry than a HB behind this O-line. Having a RB who is an equal threat as a receiver makes the defense keep an extra spy and not always bail on the blitz as they have to worry about a screen pass or wheel route.
Exactly, you don't pass on rare talent just because you're worried that you have a bigger need. Vikings were smart enough to take AP when they had a more than serviceable Chester Taylor. Jackpot. Spiller is going to be the real deal and him and Thomas as returners could really spark a ST that has lacked a real weapon for years now.

Steddy Ambition!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Spiller might not be a workhorse 25 carries a game but he will get 25+ touches a game. 10-15 carries, 5-10 plays line out and of course as a returner.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Spiller might not be a workhorse 25 carries a game but he will get 25+ touches a game. 10-15 carries, 5-10 plays line out and of course as a returner.
thats a good point. i havent often thought of it that way. but your right. thats a good bit of contribution when you add it up. i still love devine in rd 2 too. okung + devine would be dreamy.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Yeah Okung is obvously #1 but beyond him aside from a couple of players we hope will drop our draft picture could be real cloudy and we might be in the position to just have to go BPA.