Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.
I definitely think Jenks needs a successor. I also think that the team is gearing up for a big run this season, and blowing a first round pick on a guy who isn't going to do a ton of contributing playing behind Jenks doesn't make a ton of sense. At this very moment, I think they have to take somebody who's going to play a bunch of snaps and valuable ones at that. A defensive end, a free safety, a third corner, or a rush linebacker who can push Thomas out of snaps. There has to be some way to build and help the team this year, it just seems like the direction the team's going in now there's no way they're going to take like...Iupati to sit on the bench or Cody to sit behind Jenks. I think they want somebody who can help this year, and somebody at one of those positions could do that. Regardless of what's a premium position, I think that's what needs to be addressed this year's draft at some point.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.
Well, I don't particularly think he's an impact corner, but what I was trying to say there was that it's harder to get a talented #1 or #2 corner later in the draft opposed to a position like DE. But since we're going for a nickel guy, and I hardly think we want to send Cromartie the wrong idea, I at least think a first round corner is ruled out, and I'd expect it to not happen until the third day.

But as for me, I think it makes most sense to go OLB in the first, but I'm just not sure the real first round talent for that position will be available with our pick (which, sadly, could mean another trade up). I just really think a first round DE is a waste and like I said a while ago (and I think someone just said), positions like the OL where we desperately need depth (and more than likely this year will find that out during the course of the season) but have all our starters in place just couldn't warrant a first round pick. And to me, a first round Safety would have too much pressure on him because with our current starters he'd be expected to start right away. I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.
I could see that as well, although if LW is still on the roster I don't think it would make any sense.

We'll see what happens, it's going to be an interesting draft. I wouldn't rule out another move up for Graham or Kindle depending on how far they slip and what we'd have to give up. Maybe Mays too. Despite Mike T saying he didn't want to trade up you have to think it's still an option. Kerry Rhodes was going to be a Jet this season a few days before he got moved.

Wonder if this whole Taylor thing is a big smokescreen, it'd be nice to avoid bringing him in. I think corner or safety have to be options though, otherwise they're kind of pidgeonholed into going OLB and I don't think that's the plan right now. Think they want to keep things flexible.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me
Where'd you see that? Don't think we have the ammo, I could have bought it prior to the deal for Holmes but not so sure anymore. Unless they deal Washington I think there's no way, but he seems like the type of offensive player they'd covet. Just not sure if the need for that sort of explosive player is really there anymore.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, I don't see it happening. Just something my brother said he heard. Probably another Jets fan where he works.

I'd be happy if the Jets grabbed Jerry Hughes round 1 without trading anything or anybody

Sig by, Hitman D

Last edited by katnip : 04-19-2010 at 05:46 PM.
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's one of the few positions where I wouldn't really think it'd make sense trading up. Of the "need" positions, that's one of the luxuries we have in the draft, so losing a ton of picks to acquire him would seem like an awful waste. I do hate first round RBs though so I may be biased.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the website thejetsblog.com. They just did a writeup on secondary players who the team has shown interest in. A lot of them make sense and quite a few of the players fit a profile that I think the team would be looking for in late round guys at CB and FS. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/2...ry/#more-23996
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

First legit possibilty for the Jets off the board with Alualu going to the Jags at 10...that one made me laugh a little.

Reach with Matthews going 12 too...good chance that a solid player slips to our spot.

Spiller going to the Bills is interesting...the D is great but he's definitely capable of making big plays against that unit. He'll need to be keyed in on.

It's been dead in this forum since last night...let's try to get some chatter going in here!!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im happy Alualu went that early. I didn't want to take him in the 1st.

Maybe we trade up for Earl Thomas?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Pass rushers are starting to slide some...Thomas is gone, wonder if corners start to go off the board a little more quickly. Based on the reaches there should be an opportunity to get a really, really good football player at #29.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This draft is falling into our lap.......Bryant, Kindle, Hughes, Dan Williams, Odrick, McCourty...I'll be happy with any of them.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Double Post

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
This draft is falling into our lap.......Bryant, Kindle, Hughes, Dan Williams, Odrick, McCourty...I'll be happy with any of them.
I came here to post the same thing, it's going great so far for us. That's six guys, guaranteed to have at least one of them on the board. Some great talents this far down. Could be in really good shape to trade down as well, which could be the plan. I'd guess if we wanted somebody on the board we'd move up, unless we liked more than one player enough to take at 29.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

Kyle Wilson? Someone please explain. I have Revis and Cromartie locked up outside and Lowery in the slot. Kyle Wilson replaces Lowery I guess? I would've rather had Kindle. Again, someone please explain..
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Wilson does replace Lowery. Also insurance if Cromartie doesn't work out. Adds depth, keep guys fresh late in games, and gives the Jets one of the best corner trios in the league. Rex loves his corners, he's a good value there, and he adds some value as a return guy. Plus he's physical and a great fit for the scheme. You know a corner was going to get drafted somewhere, Wilson was one of the better guys in the draft and a great fit for the scheme, it's a solid pick IMO.

I would have liked Kindle also, but I still like this pick. Hope we jump up to the top of round 2 to get one of the guys who slipped out of the first unexpectedly or a nice value slips down to #61.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
Kyle Wilson? Someone please explain. I have Revis and Cromartie locked up outside and Lowery in the slot. Kyle Wilson replaces Lowery I guess? I would've rather had Kindle. Again, someone please explain..
I too would have went Kindle, but I guess the wounds are still fresh from the Colts game and Rex ain't gonna let that happen again!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am happy with Wilson, but pissed with the circumstances. Us taking a corner just shows that if the ******* Pats had taken Wilson, we could have had Mccourty. At least it redoubles my hate for the Patriots, thats always a good thing.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
I am happy with Wilson, but pissed with the circumstances. Us taking a corner just shows that if the ******* Pats had taken Wilson, we could have had Mccourty. At least it redoubles my hate for the Patriots, thats always a good thing.
Not necessarily, we were definitely in a position to take the best player on our board. I don't know this for sure, but Wilson could have been rated higher on our board than Mccourtey. If Wilson goes to NE instead of Mccourtey, then I could definitely see us taking Kindle or Hughes. I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I definitely wanted Hughes, so that was a bummer. I thought Wilson was the best corner in the class, so that's nice, but I just don't particularly think it makes sense to draft a nickel corner with a first round pick unless they plan to always be in a nickel package. He is the perfect nickel corner though and I am glad that we at least took him over who the Patriots and Dolphins took. Him being from New Jersey, it's really cool that he gets to play in his hometown, provided he was a Jets fan.

Here's hoping to someone I want with the second!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I really do like the pick though. I just would've gone in a different direction, but I can't blame them at all and obviously I don't know Rex's blitz schemes and like the ESPN analysts said, it's probably pretty telling that both Rex's team and Gregg Williams's team went CB in the first despite having the two starter spots locked up.

Another EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I like this pick. I had said it a while ago, and now I'm coming full circle on the fact that it's more likely to get a OLB later in the draft that can be developed (and DE really didn't seem like an option to me) into something special rather than a CB, and it's especially difficult to do so when looking for a man-cover guy with speed. So I'm fine. These last two days I did think Hughes wasn't going to be the pick anyway, and hopefully he isn't too beastly. On a side-note, it'd be awfully funny if we picked Eric Norwood at some point, because then a lot of things I based assumptions on would seem pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 04-23-2010 at 05:42 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.
I agree. I think Rex's best case scenario was to draft a corner if the right one was there and their draft board dictated it, and it just so happens that was the case. I personally have seen enough of Drew Coleman and the rest of cast of characters that play CB (minus Revis ofcourse) to make me like this pick a lot. Yeah we added Cromartie too which is huge, but we play Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall twice a year each, and to get to where we want to go we have to go through Peyton and Co so this just fits.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

In a pre-draft interview Rex said he could find d-line value well into the third. And the player they took first would start right away in "nickle" packages and play more than one position.

He was obviously high on Wilson.

We got burned by the Welkers, Edelmans, Colts, Chargers in this league. Those passing attacks that want to dictate how the game is played today. We just helped ourselves big time. And with some insane value. Its been said that the decision to go with Haden at 7 or Wilson was decided by a coin flip. By the guy that draft Revis a few years ago.

And we no longer need to use Cotchery as a punt returner.

Kid looks like Troy Polamalu with his helmet on, and im not just talking about the hair. Love this selection.
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drafting for need is a recipe for failure. The front office thought Wilson was the best player available, so they took him. I like the pick.

As for Kindle: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/367371...s-player_news/

Appearing on ESPN 101 St. Louis Friday morning, Adam Schefter confirmed that Sergio Kindle fell out of round one due to medical concerns.

"Definite medical issues," Schefter reported. "I've spoken to some teams that have him off their board (entirely)." The latest rumors have Kindle possibly needing microfracture knee surgery, which would knock him out for his entire rookie year. At this point, we'd be surprised if he's drafted in round two.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
Not necessarily, we were definitely in a position to take the best player on our board. I don't know this for sure, but Wilson could have been rated higher on our board than Mccourtey. If Wilson goes to NE instead of Mccourtey, then I could definitely see us taking Kindle or Hughes. I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.
From all I read and heard, Mccourty was pretty high on the Jets draft board. There were a lot of rumblings about the Jets being interested in him. Especially now with the news that Kindle has injury concerns, I think we would have taken Devin had the Pats taken Wilson.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote