Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite philosopher(s)?
Ancient Philosophy (Aristotle, Plato) 13 19.40%
Scholasticism (St. Thomas Aquinas) 3 4.48%
Renaissance Humanism (Thomas More, Erasmus) 1 1.49%
Rationalism (Descartes, Voltaire, Kant) 18 26.87%
Empiricism, Social Contract (John Locke, David Hume) 11 16.42%
Social Materialism/Marxism (Karl Marx, Hegel) 6 8.96%
Existentialism (Kafka, Nietzsche) 7 10.45%
Post-Moderism/Structuralism (Derrida, Foucault, Nietzsche) 5 7.46%
Analytical Philosophy (Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein) 1 1.49%
Structuralism (Levi-Strauss, Ferdinand de Saussure, Chomsky) 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hedonism is thinking that pleasure is the most important thing.
Alright that is what I needed to know thanks working on my extra credit for philosophy right now.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a simple Wiki search could have answered that for you...

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Hedonism's fun. I think my little sister was really into it recently, it's cute cause she's 14 and just about to enter high school yet she's reading about philosophy and economics and understanding things better than a lot of the people I've met out here in buffalo. I've just gotta make sure she doesn't become a stoner like me because one of us needs to be productive, otherwise who am I going to mooch off of and live with in 15 years when I go broke trying to produce the story I've been playing with for the past 5 years into an indy trilogy.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know too much crap about Hedonism because a bunch of funamentalist Baptist pastors think they know all about it and how most if not all sinners are hedonists.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
a simple Wiki search could have answered that for you...
I did do that but I wanted to be sure.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Triangle man...triangle man....triangle man hates particle man.

They have a fight. Triangle wins. Triangle man.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 05-07-2009 at 02:37 AM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 AM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I would + rep the **** out of you for that post if I could. :(
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
Hedonism's fun. I think my little sister was really into it recently, it's cute cause she's 14.
if my little 14 yr old sister came up to me and told me "hedonism sounds like a lot of fun" (i have a 13 yr old sister), i would lock her in captivity till she was 30.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
I know too much crap about Hedonism because a bunch of funamentalist Baptist pastors think they know all about it and how most if not all sinners are hedonists.
I'm not sure if I believe that 100%, but I could make the argument for it quite well. Alas, it would get this thread closed so, I digress.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
if my little 14 yr old sister came up to me and told me "hedonism sounds like a lot of fun" (i have a 13 yr old sister), i would lock her in captivity till she was 30.
You'd let her out at 30? I'd keep her locked down forever.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You'd let her out at 30? I'd keep her locked down forever.
i'm assuming the sarf flu will get us all by then.

the greatest problem with america is that there's no philosophical thought anymore. the populace just doesn't care.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
the greatest problem with america is that there's no philosophical thought anymore. the populace just doesn't care.
We have philosophers in America, they're just not well-known.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, with both parts.

People are just so involved with trying to make a quick buck or trying to get attention that it seems like no one actually thinks about anything.

This world sucks and sadly, it's only getting worse.

The amount of stupidity this world contains will soon make it explode...sad

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
We have philosophers in America, they're just not well-known.
well, that was part of my qualm, the other part was the lack of respect for philosophy...

it's sad that so much about philosophy in america was co-opted by politics when the two are clearly separate. america doesn't care about the purity of metaphysical thought.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well, that was part of my qualm, the other part was the lack of respect for philosophy...

it's sad that so much about philosophy in america was co-opted by politics when the two are clearly separate. america doesn't care about the purity of metaphysical thought.
that is part of the reason why i have told myself to just forget america everything is just based off of politics and what can make america more rich and the most powerful country in the world.

JFLO is the world's most powerful country, it has been for awhile now...

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:

The respect for the intellectuals is only coming from others intellectuals and those in academia. Though, I can understand that the guy who's struggling to put food on his table probably doesn't give two shits about philosophy.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post
that is part of the reason why i have told myself to just forget america everything is just based off of politics and what can make america more rich and the most powerful country in the world.
and thus discussion of hedoism is worthwhile, in a non-religious context. thank god.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
and thus discussion of hedoism is worthwhile, in a non-religious context. thank God.
Fixed it for you :)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Fixed it for you :)

Quote:
Anymore? America?

Rigorous philosophical thought has never been widespread here or anywhere else in the world I'm aware of. I don't think it's a localized problem.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

People like to talk as though america was the only country that's successful dumbed down the population enough for critical thinking to become a rare occurrence. I love my fellow germans but to act like we're any more philosophical or thoughtful is silly. Europe's just as brain dead as the USA.

Last edited by Mr. Hero : 05-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
People like to talk as though america was the only country that's successful dumbed down the population enough for critical thinking is rare occurence. I love my fellow germans but to act like we're any more philosophical or thoughtful is silly. Europe's just as brain dead as the USA.
Yes, but every one seemingly talks **** about America, and it gets into our heads.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, but every one seemingly talks **** about America, and it gets into our heads.
No one loves to talk as much **** about the impending doom of America as Americans.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
No one loves to talk as much **** about the impending doom of America as Americans.
Depends on what doom you are thinking of, because some think we're about to be taken over by a homegrown, government/FEMA-lead socialist revolution (pardon me while I laugh my ass off). Others think we're going to collapse economically or some other non-sense, I don't know anymore.

Personally, I would like to think we're approaching some sort of impending positive change in the general populace's mentality but my own doubts wrestle with that idea.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Quote:
Depends on what doom you are thinking of, because some think we're about to be taken over by a homegrown, government/FEMA-lead socialist revolution (pardon me while I laugh my ass off). Others think we're going to collapse economically or some other non-sense, I don't know anymore.

Personally, I would like to think we're approaching some sort of impending positive change in the general populace's mentality but my own doubts wrestle with that idea.
My hopes are that the dollar collapse is able to spark that positive shift. We're trying to start another bubble right now and if we get sucked into another bubble before this depression has run it's course we're just going to be so screwed.