Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite philosopher(s)?
Ancient Philosophy (Aristotle, Plato) 13 19.40%
Scholasticism (St. Thomas Aquinas) 3 4.48%
Renaissance Humanism (Thomas More, Erasmus) 1 1.49%
Rationalism (Descartes, Voltaire, Kant) 18 26.87%
Empiricism, Social Contract (John Locke, David Hume) 11 16.42%
Social Materialism/Marxism (Karl Marx, Hegel) 6 8.96%
Existentialism (Kafka, Nietzsche) 7 10.45%
Post-Moderism/Structuralism (Derrida, Foucault, Nietzsche) 5 7.46%
Analytical Philosophy (Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein) 1 1.49%
Structuralism (Levi-Strauss, Ferdinand de Saussure, Chomsky) 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Following procedures ( formulas, etc). I absolutely cannot learn that way.
mhm for me its always like doing riddles, using formulas as tricks to solve them

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
mhm for me its always like doing riddles, using formulas as tricks to solve them
Yuck.
Then again, I absolutely love history which is an area some find extremely boring.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 05-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also rationalism sucks. The product of a strictly western way of thinking.

Having reason as necessary is for the weak mind.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 05-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Not true, Bloom's Taxonomy of learning is applicable to all subject areas. One's affinity for learning a particular subject is derived mainly from the style in which one is taught (auditory, visual, tactile) and how well that matches one's main learning style (the same). Studies show that if there is a significant disconnect in this teaching to learning style by age 10, a student will develop a dislike for a particular subject. Dislike of subject usually translate to difficulty in performance for a multitude of reasons.
Nice to get the view from an expert in the field. Good stuff.

Actually, I do well in all subjects, but half of the time the stuff I hate is stuff I do really well in. I absolutely loathed General Biology, but I owned that class.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's not so much explaining it to you right (not that doing so isn't a very important component) then it is explaining it to you in the manner you best learn it. For example, if I am a visual learner, and all you do is give verbal lectures, odds are, I am at a disadvantage.

And just to give you all something to think about - If the teacher explains wrong, and then the student does wrong - who is in error?
the teacher, generally is in the error. But the student should theoretically be diligent enough in a Confucius sort of way to understand the error.

Math is, as CJ says, finding what works for you and finding the applicable ways to use it in your own life.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Math is just bores me. I like writing and literary analysis too much.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It's not so much explaining it to you right (not that doing so isn't a very important component) then it is explaining it to you in the manner you best learn it. For example, if I am a visual learner, and all you do is give verbal lectures, odds are, I am at a disadvantage.

And just to give you all something to think about - If the teacher explains wrong, and then the student does wrong - who is in error?
yea.The word education comes from the greek word educere, which mean's to " draw out". Education is about opening minds, not filling them up with facts and such.

they get smoked.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yea.The word education comes from the greek word educere, which mean's to " draw out". Education is about opening minds, not filling them up with facts and such.
educere: present infinitive derived latin from ex duco. to be lead.

i took too much latin in life.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Math is just bores me. I like writing and literary analysis too much.
god no, i really hate literary analysis. its always so wishy washy, never sure, ull never be sure if the author really meant it. it always seemed to random

Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
educere: present infinitive derived latin from ex duco. to be lead.

i took too much latin in life.
That's the latin? Discrepancies in translation from Greek to latin. If I could write the word in greek on here, I would.

I know I've read and had it explained to me as meaning " to draw out" in Greek.

they get smoked.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone have any personal philosophy? Like a saying they stick to and live by?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Does anyone have any personal philosophy? Like a saying they stick to and live by?
"Know better, do better."
So help me, I say that a dozen times a day; it's just my thing.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
That's the latin? Discrepancies in translation from Greek to latin. If I could write the word in greek on here, I would.

I know I've read and had it explained to me as meaning " to draw out" in Greek.
really educo is what tutors did specifically. it's closer to 'reared up' than 'evoked' in most classical latin context.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yes, see if you can figure it out from this two pics...

*Money over Bitches*

* not actually my motto, I saw some G with a tattoo similar to this.

they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 05-13-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It could be a borrowing from Greek to Latin, but an -ere ending means Latin. If it's in English as -tion or -ate, then it's also Latin.

Eytomology from Merriam Webster Online:

Middle English, to rear, from Latin educatus, past participle of educare to rear, educate, from educere to lead forth — more at educe
So etymology of educe:

Latin educere to draw out, from e- + ducere to lead

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
god no, i really hate literary analysis. its always so wishy washy, never sure, ull never be sure if the author really meant it. it always seemed to random
That's not always true, maybe if you are looking for layers in a novel.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

I'm not a big fan of writing, actually. And I don't like Literature. hmm.

Quote:
Not a saying, but a general concept of emotional detachment has done wonders for me.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there's two things that I dislike about Math. The first is a common criticism, and that is how it is taught. The general idea seems to be to present heavily abstracted mathematical concepts a little bit at a time, growing a comfort level and ultimately, a working knowledge. Certainly, this is somewhat dictated by the fact that proofs for simple mathematical concepts are rarely even close to as simple. But for me, that level of abstraction always felt too much like blind acceptance of knowledge without reason, and so I resisted. Recently, having been forced to jump back into math for college, I took a class where the instructor always provided the proof where it was possible, stressed understanding the reason behind each step, and actually gave some historical background on ideas (as well as linking some ideas to other areas of study, mostly scientific). It helped me.

The other thing that bugs me about math is really just adding onto the way it's presented. It's so heavily abstracted from anything real that you're forced to build up rather complex mental structures to attack with with any real proficiency. Personally, the symbolic logic course I just wrapped up this semester was far more comprehensible for me because it was so heavily tied into language and sequential reasoning. All symbolism is tied up into verbal reasoning and if you're the type who's comfortable with that, it's hard to get lost even doing proofs that require 30+ steps. Of course, I'm a musician at heart, which is ultimate example of a physical representation of mathematical concepts. In music theory classes, the similarities to mathematics is constantly presented, but I firmly believe that the real difference is that music theory has a really hard time reaching the same level of abstraction of most mathematical forms because it is built around something highly tangible. A huge part of the reason I'm forcing myself to get back into mathematics is due to how closely mathematics like Trigonometry tie into the physics of sound (and the synthesis of that sound through frequency modulation), and my hope is that the tether that holds to music will help keep me interested.

Quote:
If I have one, it would be to never let a transient conviction keep me from taking a new view of something (or a new view of everything). So, my personal philosophy would be not to have a set personal philosophy.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

As soon as we start talking about math. **** hits the fan.

RESET BUTTON PLZ

Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

I mean i understand when people believe something that is wrong or wants to believe something that is wrong.

But how can someone believe something that he knows is wrong? how can you lie to yourself?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
I mean i understand when people believe something that is wrong or wants to believe something that is wrong.

But how can someone believe something that he knows is wrong? how can you lie to yourself?
Do you mean believe as in say you believe, or act that you believe? Or do you mean believe that something is true or right when you "really" don't?

The first is entirely possible and happens all the time - usually called "lying." I think the second is impossible. You can be conflicted or unsure, but if you come to the point of believing something to be right, that's what you believe. There may be some wiggle room because you starting doubting that belief, but that's different than a contradiction of belief, which is what I think you're saying.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

its just i dont understand when people say: "I know I am a hypocrite" i dont think that makes any sense. If you know you contradict yourself, you found yourself in a dilemma you should solve, i dont understand how someone can just go on with it.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
its just i dont understand when people say: "I know I am a hypocrite" i dont think that makes any sense. If you know you contradict yourself, you found yourself in a dilemma you should solve, i dont understand how someone can just go on with it.
Given the situations that come to mind as I read this, I think subconsciously we make a choice. Is it worth it to work through the dilemma or can I stay comfortable admitting to being a hypocrite. I think most choose the later.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

thats idiotic though, i mean if you know you are wrong why continue on being wrong

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a few:
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Oscar Wilde

and

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates