Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can steal a few games this year and win another 3 or 4 out right and rack up maybe 6 or 7 wins (this is hypothetical b/c I think they are a 3-4 win team next year) it makes our team that much more appealing to guys like McNeal & Mankins coming from power houses like San Diego & New England. I know money talks but to most pro athletes the winning and competing is key. Combine that with a young and hungry up and coming coach, a studly young QB and improved defense makes Detroit more appealing which only helps draw FA's.
With that said I think building the Oline is a draft thing .... not a FA thing. Get a CB or NT in FA not Olineman.

A LT should be a top target next year while Backus has some gas in the tank to push the kid for the #1 spot. Stafford will lobby for that for sure! A DT/DE is a close #2 ...

And for the record, those of you who are thinking Philly trading for Peters (LT) and signing Andrews (G) as an example of Olineman working out for a team ... the Reid/McNabb lead Eagles window is closing with this nucleus to push for the Super Bowl. The Lions are FAAAAR from that conversation. Draft solid up front next year, we have a 5-8 year run after that to compete for the NFC North. (again hypothetical)
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

judging by jonathan scott's recent comments, our oline should be vastly improved with our new coaching staff.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009052...037/0/SPORTS01

Quote:
In Detroit, the life of a lineman was maddening. Scott said the communication breakdowns between the offensive coordinator and his offensive line coach ran rampant. One told him to step left on a play, the other said to step right.

“So which one do I do?” Scott said. “If I don’t it the offensive line way, I won’t be able to play. If I don’t do it the offensive coordinator’s way then I’ll never get on the field. There were always situations like that.”

Chaotic fragmentation. The shoddy separation of powers triggered on-field breakdowns. Scott said the linemen became “chickens with their heads cut off.” Who was supposed to block where was a play-to-play mystery.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
judging by jonathan scott's recent comments, our oline should be vastly improved with our new coaching staff.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009052...037/0/SPORTS01
Why does that not surprise me? Looks like RodMar's discipline and "working as a team" shtick only applied to players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep very true with Coletto and Martz. They were never on the same page. Last year it was probably more one united voice, but there was just so many problems, more than talent.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

clearly they believed in the invisible. Oh .. .and forgot to pound the rock. LOL!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Yep very true with Coletto and Martz. They were never on the same page. Last year it was probably more one united voice, but there was just so many problems, more than talent.
The weakest united voice since Band Aid's "Don't They Know It's Christmas"
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
The weakest united voice since Band Aid's "Don't They Know It's Christmas"
What everybody was thinking.

Colletto: Block to the left so we can run for 2 yards

Martz: Block to the right for 20 minutes so we can run a precise route

Marinelli: Pound the rock. I miss Warren Sapp.

Joe Barry: I'm nailing Rod's daughter with my Rod. Although my Rod is as soft as this defense.

Millen from PA: Dur Dur Dur Dur, Wide Receiver, the letter M.

Ford: This team needs a bailout worse than my company.

Jon Kitna: Save me Jesus. Save me from the Dline Devil.

Roy Williams: Hook em horns, I'm gonna be the new TO.

Joe Cullen: Did I go Wendy's twice yesterday? Where are my pants?

Shaun Rogers: Hey hey hey (Fat Albert). Then gets tired and takes a nap. Yet we miss him greatly.

Paris Lenon: I have a girls name so that must be why I play like one.

Drew Stanton: Wow this is embarassing. Oops got hurt again drinking some water.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...ons_had_n.html
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Well Lions fans we are at out highest peak of the season: Post draft euphoria. As we all know, its downhill from here. See you at 4-12.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, having a good draft doesn't mean you'll be good right away. I'm expecting us to have a 2-5 win season this year. We should start picking up after this season though.. hopefully.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Eh, having a good draft doesn't mean you'll be good right away. I'm expecting us to have a 2-5 win season this year. We should start picking up after this season though.. hopefully.
I agree but more 4-6 win range. 2 wins isn't enough improvement and I like the schedule.

As for the draft rookies are rookies. Stafford is looking good so far in shorts but you know he'll be taking his rookie lumps whenever he starts playing. QB is just so tough without the perfect situation early. Although the cupboard isn't bare for Stafford IMO. All I expect is progression from him, so cautious optimism for Stafford. I think Pettigrew and Delmas can come in and play fairly well though right away. TE and Safety are two positions where you can have earlier success. Same with Derrick Williams for KR/PR. Don't expect much from Sammie Lee and Levy is a backup now.

However, we did add some very solid ready to play players. Peterson,Foote,Buchanon,Grady Jackson,Bryant Johnson and Maurice Morris all help right away and the solid rookies from last year got another year under their belt.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it just me or has Scott Wright given up on analyzing and grading out the balance of the 2009 draft? I've been waiting WEEKS to read the Lions review.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we are top 5, I want our pick to come from the state of Oklahoma. Either Okung or McCoy.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
Is it just me or has Scott Wright given up on analyzing and grading out the balance of the 2009 draft? I've been waiting WEEKS to read the Lions review.
I guess he was on vacation (lol)
B+ is solid. Although I HATE letter grades for drafts.
I have seen plenty of high grades in the past though for Matty Mess Up's handy work all praise coming before they hit the field ... so this fan is still in "wait and see" mode with this group.

Plenty optimistic about the overhaul in talent though. Lord did they need it. Still do actually (everywhere but WR/TE, QB & LB)

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 07-29-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

VERY early YouTube browsing for 2010 draft candidates for your Detroit Lions ... but the love is already there from this fan for one Boo Robinson, DT Wake Forest! I also like the long athleticism and strength from OT Charles Brown out at USC. Of course I also see future Pro Bowls awaiting Mr. Carlos Dunlap, DE at Florida ... kid is sick.

I feel DE, LT, DT & CB are the focus for 2010 most likely in that order for me.

I'll thow it out there to munch on ... Detroit would rock if 2010 went:
#1 DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
#2 LT Charles Brown, USC
#3 DT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest
#4 CB best available ... Thurmond Oregon/Robinson FSU/Warren Mich/Norton Ark

Haha, I can't believe it's not even August and I threw it out there for 2010. Sad note however, if Dunlap is available we are a shoe in for a top 5 pick ;o(
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

love all of those. i would like dunlap then terrance cody provided backus is serviceable and they have good years. lets fix that d-line that's been killing us. we had the fewest amount of pass attempts against us in the league last year because of our weak run defense.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Yep I think DT is top priority unless Fluellen AND Sammie Lee Hill really suprise people. DE rides on Avril which will be answered this year, White is ok and plus we have Peterson to blitz. A base DE which is what we really need can be found in later rounds. So I'd take DT before DE. One young DT working out would be nice though. Gerald McCoy would look great in a Lions uni, so would Suh. Very good DT and LT class next year, glad we didn't take Peria Jerry or Jason Smith. But there is alot of football to be played before we need to think about draft and the pesky 16 game season of the Lions. So excited for the season, any wins even like 4 will be tremendous.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

I agree, no matter how you slice it .... D line depth in the NFL is HUGE.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, right now I'm hoping we go DE in Round 1. I think we'll have a Top 5 pick, so hopefully Dunlap is there for us. Unfortunately we could be on Trade Down watch because of Stafford's huge ass contract.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Yeah, right now I'm hoping we go DE in Round 1. I think we'll have a Top 5 pick, so hopefully Dunlap is there for us. Unfortunately we could be on Trade Down watch because of Stafford's huge ass contract.
Brandon Graham FTW!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Brandon Graham FTW!
I would absolutely prefer Graham over Dunlap. Dunlap is getting hyped because of his size. But so was Calais Campbell. And that's who he reminds me of at this point. Let's see if he continues to improve in his junior year or falls off like Campbell did before we decide we want to spend a top 5 pick on a guy that's only shown something for one season.

Quote:

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
I would absolutely prefer Graham over Dunlap. Dunlap is getting hyped because of his size. But so was Calais Campbell. And that's who he reminds me of at this point. Let's see if he continues to improve in his junior year or falls off like Campbell did before we decide we want to spend a top 5 pick on a guy that's only shown something for one season.
Brandon Graham is a very good pass rushing DE but he was not even rated the best pre-season defensive player in the Big 10 at the meetings in Chicago last week. Greg Jones MSU LB was the pick for that award? Again, I like BG and if he could be there for a 2nd rd pick if we went DT or LT #1 I would be happy. But right now I do not think he is anywhere near a top 5 pick but that just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Brandon Graham is a very good pass rushing DE but he was not even rated the best pre-season defensive player in the Big 10 at the meetings in Chicago last week. Greg Jones MSU LB was the pick for that award? Again, I like BG and if he could be there for a 2nd rd pick if we went DT or LT #1 I would be happy. But right now I do not think he is anywhere near a top 5 pick but that just my opinion.
Greg Jones is a beast. But if you think that Michigan having a completely crap season last year didn't have something to do with that, you're out of your mind. To be quite honest, if I'm talking about a top 5 pick, which it'll likely be, I'd probably take Greg Hardy if we're taking a DE, as much as I like Graham, at least right now. My overall point is that I'm not a big fan of Dunlap, and I'd take Graham over him any day at this point.

Quote:

Last edited by ironman4579 : 08-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

McCoy probably will go #1. I think it's easier to get a offensive tackle in the second round but you can't pass on a Carlos Dunlap DE from FL in the first round.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i'd say mccoy will go about where flacco went. there isn't a huge need for QBs anymore and the separation between talent isn't large enough to warrant passing on the top linemen.

Prowler's Newb Guide