Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really surprised as the dislike of the Giants third round pick. When you have a unit as bad the Giants group of safeties was last year, why wouldn't you want the Giants FO to overreact and try to improve that unit as much as possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
2. Linval Joseph: I was upset that Lamar Houston got picked by the Raiders, but he's not exactly what we need, he isn't as great versus the run, but remember he was a runningback; he hasn't had a whole lot of experience or time to transition. Houston is an incredible athlete for a DT, remember Warren Sapp was a TE. Im a little upset about that but when i see Joseph, i see a baby eater, a monster, the boogey man.

Like Mayock said, he seems like a guy who will maximize his potential in the pro's, with coaching and effort he could be a disruptive force in both the run and the pass. Versus central florida, he use one arm to fend off a guard on a way to a killer sack.

Right now, im jizzing.
I hated this pick, but I hated it because I wanted the Jets to get him. :(

Quote:
3. Chad Jones: What the hell? great value, but honestly? Jerry come on we need to somehow address some needs, if you trade down you can compensate for the value lost in drafting a player you may not want at our pick instead of taking some player thats just not going to see the field for awhile. He isn't really a typical FS, he's not fast, he's not very instinctive, he's...not a need.
He's not a typical FS? You just signed what is now the highest paid free safety in the league. Who is your strong safety?

Deon Grant? At 31, he's a short term solution at best whereas Jones is more of a long term answer at safety.
Michael Johnson? How good of a job did he do last year?
Kenny Phillips? Certainly, if he can come back at 100%. But is there a bigger if on the Giants roster?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loved the Linvall Joseph pick. You guys know I was big on Troupe and Joseph as later round NTs for us, so getting Joseph, who is better than Troupe (Buffalo took him 1 round too early) was a definite plus.

With JPP who will eventually replace Kiwi, and Joseph, we've anchored our dline for the long haul. Both are good picks. I wouldn't mind if we got another DT on top of Joseph. Geno Atkins is a guy i'm looking at.

Jones was a great pick, the thing that sucks about it is that you wonder about Kenny Phillips. If we picked Jones, Kenny probably is done. So that saddens me.

Hopefully he winds up being great depth for us, but in all likelihood, we're looking at a Rolle/Jones safety duo in the future. And if that is in fact the case, then you gotta love the pick, bc he's going to be a solid player.

This draft is more about projected talent with us. I don't mind that. I feel that teams with poor talent and poor coaching can't get away with it, but we can. We have a coaching staff that's great at developing talent, and we have the pieces to allow these developmental guys to sit and learn at their pace and develop into what they can become.

This draft can be great, it can be horrible. But I'm ok with that. We're at a point talent wise where we can take some risks. I think we have the structure to really get the most out of these guys. None of them are bad character guys, lazy guys, they are just a little raw. I think it works out for us.

I want to see us address oline, possibly more dline for the rest of the draft. Preferably oline. I don't want Bruce Campbell. He sucks. No thank you.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Losing out on Spikes was probably the biggest disappointment for me on Day 2. I was very saddened by that. I was hoping we'd nab him in the 3rd.

At this point, there isn't a single LB i feel is worth forcing the issue over. I rather just roll with Goff at MIKE. I'm fine with that, I don't think he had a fair chance to prove himself last year.

Let's see what Goff does this year. He's better than any available LB in the draft right now.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think taking a third round pick who needs a couple years to develop is really signaling that Phillips' career is over, BBD. I love Jones but he's going to take a year or two to develop. He has fantastic range and size but he is very raw.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I don't think taking a third round pick who needs a couple years to develop is really signaling that Phillips' career is over, BBD. I love Jones but he's going to take a year or two to develop. He has fantastic range and size but he is very raw.
I think they give KP this year to prove himself, while having Jones develop in the wings. He should be able to play next year.

Realistically, all our draft picks will be redshirted next year.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like Dillard might have been a reach. Granted I don't know much about him though.

Echoing others I loved the Joseph pick and I liked the Jones pick as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I like the Dilliard pick.

Let's be real, no LB we take at this point is going to be "the answer" but he's still a solid player.

He has range and has a nastiness to him that I like in my linebackers.

Gotta start addressing that oline now.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5th round O-lineman aren't going to be a major help either. I was hoping we took Tennant with that last pick. Dillard seems like a Pierce clone though where he can play the run and can't really defend the pass. Also, I'm sure it helped a ton having Suh play in front of him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
5th round O-lineman aren't going to be a major help either. I was hoping we took Tennant with that last pick. Dillard seems like a Pierce clone though where he can play the run and can't really defend the pass. Also, I'm sure it helped a ton having Suh play in front of him.
Thats my concern, how of it was Suh opposed to Dilliard.

He has more range than Pierce, more athleticism. He'll compete with Goff.

Maybe Tennant falls to us in the 5th.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

We haven't drafted a good LB in forever so I don't really trust the staff at that position.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah I hear that. The bottom line is, this was a very weak draft for LBs. If we're gonna get that superstar, we gotta wait until next year.

This draft doesn't look like it will bring much immediate impact at all. But I'm hoping after our guys go through their rookie years redshirted, that we'll have something really special in year 2.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I think Joseph will contribute big time. He's by far my favorite pick. It feels weird not feeling happy with a Reese draft though after Round 4.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I think Joseph will contribute big time. He's by far my favorite pick. It feels weird not feeling happy with a Reese draft though after Round 4.
This draft has a much different vibe. Past drafts, we got guys who can contribute right away. This draft, we got a bunch of guys who will need time to develop.

Its a boom or bust draft, and I think that uncertainty is the concern. I like our picks, I just don't expect them to contribute right away, and we've been getting that from our past drafts.

This draft could be our worst draft, or our best one. Depends on how these guys develop.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm holding out hope for a trade up of Tennant now to make me feel better.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tennant round 5
haslam round 6
scotty's boner round 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm shocked we keep passing on Tennant. He's from BC so I figured Coughlin would be knocking the door down for him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mitch Petrus, hmm this is interesting. Former TE, former FB, yet he was a top performer at the bench press. So...athleticism + Strength. except per nfl.com

Quote:
Does not possesses the power we’d like to see. Lacks the run blocking strength to blow defenders off the ball. Needs to improve his feel for angles and blocking schemes which could come with more experience. His hand use could use some refinement.
im pretty confused. I need to watch more though.

I dont like Dillard, just don't. I wish we took Mucleroy if we decided to go LB. but chaney is still available and we pick now so....

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chaney is bad at football, so no.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need to take tony washington, tackle value is good now

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mitch Petrus, hmm this is interesting. Former TE, former FB, yet he was a top performer at the bench press. So...athleticism + Strength. except per nfl.com

im pretty confused. I need to watch more though.

I dont like Dillard, just don't. I wish we took Mucleroy if we decided to go LB. but chaney is still available and we pick now so....
He's not football strong or he's just not strong in the lower body. Bench press isn't a good measure of a football player's strength because most of the power is generated through the core and lower body, which has absolutely zero to do with bench press.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
He's not football strong or he's just not strong in the lower body. Bench press isn't a good measure of a football player's strength because most of the power is generated through the core and lower body, which has absolutely zero to do with bench press.
i agree, but how long ago was he a TE or FB? he could still be transitioning. I'll bet he'd be a better backup interior lineman than Koets.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

One word to describe our draft: Projects

This draft class is definitely a class that you can't accurately grade until 2 to 3 years from now. Almost every pick was a project player.

I see Joseph providing us with immediate impact, JPP might help us on 3rd down, but the rest of our draft will take a year to show impact at best in most cases.

Reese has always done great in the early rounds, and average in the later rounds. I don't see know if any of our guys from rounds 5-7 will do anything, or even make the team, so we better hope our early round projects are hits and not misses.

I'll grade our draft as a C+ right now, but that's mainly bc we won't see immediate impact. This class can become an A, or an F several years down the road.

I like our first 2 picks a lot, I'm ok with our 3rd round pick, I'm ok with our 4th round pick, and I don't know enough about the other guys to comment.

Time will tell. I do admit i liked last year's draft better than this one. But like I said, this is a boom or bust draft class. We'll know which one it becomes in time.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mitch Petrus and Dillard are going to make the team. Tracy and Dodge are the only 2 guys who probably wont be on the roster.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
Mitch Petrus and Dillard are going to make the team. Tracy and Dodge are the only 2 guys who probably wont be on the roster.
Who do you think gets cut from our current roster after our additions have been made?

My initial guesses:

Dave Tollefson
Adam Koets
1 of our punters
Zak DeOssie
Rocky Bernard
Michael Johnson
Gerris Wilkinson
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Who do you think gets cut from our current roster after our additions have been made?

My initial guesses:

Dave Tollefson
Adam Koets
1 of our punters
Zak DeOssie
Rocky Bernard
Michael Johnson
Gerris Wilkinson
Deossie probably stays for his snapping.

Koets I think is gone Petrus is going to take his spot.

Tollefson I think might stay and Bernard probably gone unless he has a good camp

Michael Johnson I think is the odd man out with Jones if KP is healthy as the Giants say he is. If KP isn't then Johnson will stay.

Wilk is going to compete for the MLB job he probably will get hurt and fail so he is probably gone.