Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.
For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.
I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
You need to look harder for more unbiased stuff. It's out there.
I know, it's just never been my specialization and everytime I've tried I've been stuck with either the statist/interventionist bias or people being way too far on the otherside of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of history, but it's not something I can recommend a man with a clear conscience. I have to many friend who have useless history degrees.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.
Yes, because one grew up poor and is a total materialist and the other is probably just going to end up taking over his father's construction contacting buisness, so he's setting himself up nicely to run that buisness. And, with an examination of my own life, I live pretty cheaply and my parents raised me pretty well with regards to spending money. Not to mention, I dont ever want my own children, so there's one huge financial burden I'll not worry about :).

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I go into academia it'll be because I like it. I don't really care for money, just that I have some to live off of. And considering my subject, I'm not going much for the social impact either. Others in the field may disagree, but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
...but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.
Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Here are the things I'm interested in studying:

Political Science
Macro Economics
English
Creative Writing
Journalism
Communications
Philosophy
Public Relations

Next year, I'm going to UT (Tennessee). If they had a creative writing major, I might do that, but they only offer that as a minor. So, what's good to major in if I'm looking to go into Journalism or Public Relations as a career, and write fiction on the side? Any advice would be appreciated.

does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
or you could have an aunt who has the most ridiculous connections in the NFL ever, which rules
your aunt does??

have I ever mentioned how much I like you, scotty

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com if you want to hear some awesome NFL talk with a Pro Football HoF voter and one of the committee who votes on post-season awards. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?
yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.
Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".
I meant help as in drastically affecting normal people's lives positively. Those things that you mentioned do. Some social sciences don't. That was my badly put point.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marine biology is the only major that matters
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
Marine biology is the only major that matters

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Is that a titleist?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilk103 View Post
does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that
Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Is that a titleist?
Hole in one, huh?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no idea what I will do as a profession. Unless I can get a dream job, I'm thinking medical. I have a lot of friends who are going into medical, and UAB is the best med school in the southeast.

Probably free tuition (at least) at Bama, Auburn, or UAB. But I need to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm a highschool junior.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.
we have to take general stuff, but then you narrow it

but, you can take other fields as electives if you want

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
JHG722
Veteran

JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.JHG722 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
UAB is the best med school in the southeast.
That would be Duke and Vanderbilt.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.
Teaching really isnt as bad of a profession as people think. For one, name me another profession besides something like pro sports where you get the whole summer off? You also get long winter breaks and spring breaks. Not to mention you get pretty good hours of about 7:30-2:30 in high school and like 8:30-3:30 or so for elementary and middle school. You prep your room for the next day and you go home. If you have kids then its even better because you leave when they leave and you get home when they get home. You dont want elementary school kids having to go home by themselves. Not to mention you dont have to worry whether we are in a recession or not because teachers are always in need as long as people keep having more and more babies. You can also get a summer job or teach summer school to make extra money. Teaching isnt that bad of a deal.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

You're there for more than just the hours you listed. You have to help out before and after school. Not to mention that you have to have tutoring hours, grade papers, plan lessons and such. The one thing about Texas that I find interesting is that you dont participate in Social Security, instead you are part of a different program run through the state. My great aunt taught in Texas for 40 years and her pension was insane.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're there for more than just the hours you listed. You have to help out before and after school. Not to mention that you have to have tutoring hours, grade papers, plan lessons and such. The one thing about Texas that I find interesting is that you dont participate in Social Security, instead you are part of a different program run through the state. My great aunt taught in Texas for 40 years and her pension was insane.
Thats true but you also get time while the kids are working to try and get some of that stuff done. Teachers get pretty impressive benefits too. I think professors have it the best. Barely any of them have to show up early in the day, they do a few hours of lectures, sit in their office and do nothing during office hours, then go home. Granted they do have to publish stuff every so often depending on what university and field you are in. They get paid really well and if you teach at a state run/public university then after like 15 years you can retire and receive pay of half of your income every year.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 05-07-2009 at 11:19 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Teaching really isnt as bad of a profession as people think. For one, name me another profession besides something like pro sports where you get the whole summer off? You also get long winter breaks and spring breaks. Not to mention you get pretty good hours of about 7:30-2:30 in high school and like 8:30-3:30 or so for elementary and middle school. You prep your room for the next day and you go home. If you have kids then its even better because you leave when they leave and you get home when they get home. You dont want elementary school kids having to go home by themselves. Not to mention you dont have to worry whether we are in a recession or not because teachers are always in need as long as people keep having more and more babies. You can also get a summer job or teach summer school to make extra money. Teaching isnt that bad of a deal.
Quote:
How about the best of both worlds? A lunch lady! Same hours as the students, summers off, but there's no extra work once you leave the school. My mom's a lunch lady for all the reason jay listed. Say hello mom!

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
How about the best of both worlds? A lunch lady! Same hours as the students, summers off, but there's no extra work once you leave the school. My mom's a lunch lady for all the reason jay listed. Say hello mom!

haha That probably is a pretty nice job that I didnt think about. How much do they make?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Here in Ontario, being a teacher is like hitting the jackpot. One of the strongest unions in the world (they own the Raptors, Leafs, ACC...possibly the Blue Jays in time...plus they tried to buy our national telephone company), get incredibly fair salaries, more perks then you could imagine, and so much time off they don't know what to do.
I know it's different in the States, but here in Ontario, a teacher is like royalty.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote