Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I'm optimistic about their chances to win the NL West this year and think they have the pitching to definitely make a run in the playoffs should they get there.
so, outside kung fu panda, who's going to be getting bringing in runs? we have a horrible offense

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
so, outside kung fu panda, who's going to be getting bringing in runs? we have a horrible offense
They signed Huff and DeRosa to add some power to the middle of the lineup - both are former 30/100 guys who could help add a spark. Also, John Bowker has earned the Opening Day RF spot over Schierholtz (who is know for mainly for his D and that he is a local Bay Area product) as he had a very strong Spring Training, highlighted by a 7 RBI day against the blue Jays.

It's not a sexy lineup but it has a decent mix of veterans and younger, emerging players that could develop some chemistry and get enough runs for the dominant pitching into consistent wins. They're on ESPN2 today in 30 mins (6ET) with Timmy on the mound against Oswalt. We'll see what happens. :)

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have the pitching, we just need another power bat behind Pablo. IDK if we have that

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
We have the pitching, we just need another power bat behind Pablo. IDK if we have that
If they start well, they can be buyers before the trade deadline for a bigger bat than they signed through FA. In the meantime, we need career seasons from players like Freddy Sanchez, Rowand, Huff & DeRosa to help maximize their value.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good showing for opening day. even if the astros are terrible.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
good showing for opening day. even if the astros are terrible.
They certainly are making Zito look damn good tonight :D Lets hope that lasts for while this season lol.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
They certainly are making Zito look damn good tonight :D Lets hope that lasts for while this season lol.
Yeah, Zito Giants career has been laughable (and sad) but he had a really good second half last year and I believe he can put up good numbers for a #2-#3 starter in the NL. If Cain gets some run support to push his win total, he'll be the best #3 starter in the league IMO. DeRosa looking really good so far.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
PhysicalwithanF
Rookie

PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Yeah, Zito Giants career has been laughable (and sad) but he had a really good second half last year and I believe he can put up good numbers for a #2-#3 starter in the NL. If Cain gets some run support to push his win total, he'll be the best #3 starter in the league IMO. DeRosa looking really good so far.
The thing with Zito is we NEVER give him any run support. They said on air tonite that in 60% of his starts as a Giant we gave him 2 runs or less of support. But when you give Zito 4 runs or more he is like 123 and 6.
PhysicalwithanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalwithanF View Post
The thing with Zito is we NEVER give him any run support. They said on air tonite that in 60% of his starts as a Giant we gave him 2 runs or less of support. But when you give Zito 4 runs or more he is like 123 and 6.
That's a really interesting stat. Thanks. I do think its partially his pitching lol. I think that's been an issue with every pitcher so far as well.

Run support is clearly a huge issue, though I'm glad Sabs didn't overspend for a rundown hitter. I think they should stay patient and give Bowker a goddamn chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes, but like all Giant pitchers, run support has been an issue the last few years. :( Look at Cain's run support - it's among the very worst in the league over the last two years! Zito's confidence dipped a little in previous years and he's admitted that the contract has put added pressure on him. The emergence of Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez has actually taken some pressure off of him and turned the pitching rotation into more of a friendly competition, which has been good for Zito. He'll never truly earn his contract from the Giants, but it would be nice to get a couple productive years out of him before it's up.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM    (permalink
PhysicalwithanF
Rookie

PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.PhysicalwithanF could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Yes, but like all Giant pitchers, run support has been an issue the last few years. :( Look at Cain's run support - it's among the very worst in the league over the last two years! Zito's confidence dipped a little in previous years and he's admitted that the contract has put added pressure on him. The emergence of Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez has actually taken some pressure off of him and turned the pitching rotation into more of a friendly competition, which has been good for Zito. He'll never truly earn his contract from the Giants, but it would be nice to get a couple productive years out of him before it's up.
Of course, I mean every pitcher is going to benefit from run support and suffer when they dont get it except for the freaks like Timmy, and our offense even cost him half a dozen wins last year. My point was simply that Zito cant seem to catch a break in addition to underperforming..i actually think hell be decent this year..although im not sure I like him as our #2. This team is going to give me an ulcer, i can already tell. If I have to watch Bengie or Rowand hit into another DP with one out and one on im going to punch a baby. Why does Bochy put one of our worst hitterrs at lead off, and our fastest player (Torres) hit 8th last nite? Why isnt Posey up here yet contributing? Why sit Bowker? sigh....
PhysicalwithanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Of course, I mean every pitcher is going to benefit from run support and suffer when they dont get it except for the freaks like Timmy, and our offense even cost him half a dozen wins last year. My point was simply that Zito cant seem to catch a break in addition to underperforming..i actually think hell be decent this year..although im not sure I like him as our #2. This team is going to give me an ulcer, i can already tell. If I have to watch Bengie or Rowand hit into another DP with one out and one on im going to punch a baby. Why does Bochy put one of our worst hitterrs at lead off, and our fastest player (Torres) hit 8th last nite? Why isnt Posey up here yet contributing? Why sit Bowker? sigh....
Punching babies won't help the situation, bro. It'll only make it worse. :)

Zito was getting lit up like a Christmas Tree early in games, especially at the beginning of the last few seasons. He's looked arguably better every year that he's been a Giant but he's not the pitcher that won the AL Cy Young a few years back. I'd rather have Cain as the #2 spot, but I believe they have Zito there so they can best alternate L and R arms day to day in the pitching rotation.

I agree that we need a better leadoff hitter with more speed, but they have to be able to hit for average as well, otherwise the speed is all but useless. Rowand has dropped 15-20 pounds since last year so his wheels should be a little faster, thus why they are having him hit leadoff for now. Torres has to prove more consistent. Remember the brief Rajai Davis experiment a couple years ago? Speed isn't everything for a leadoff hitter.

They have a lot of free-swingers in Molina, Uribe, Pablo, Renteria, Rowand, etc. I did like the move bringing in a new hitting coach which will hopefully help with some patience and pitch selection at the plate. Pablo looked good his first couple at bats the other night, but after everyone else was getting hits but him, he reverted back to swinging at everything late in the game.

The reasons why Posey isn't up from Day 1 this season are the following:

1) Molina is worthy of the starting spot due to his experience and offensive and defensive production and they want Posey to play every day. Posey would only be able to play one to two days a week at catcher and would have him split time at first, where they signed Huff to primarily play, and have Pablo, Ishikawa and Bowker that all can play there as well.

2) By bringing him up a little later in the year, they can hold off another year before he is arbitration-eligible, when they'll have to pay out the a$$ for a long term deal.

I'd like to see him every day and I believe we'll get our chance by June.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

if they play Posey at first, they are going to waste his potential.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

awesome

Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:

awesome
I'm Lovin it for sure!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

Damn it, ESPN blocked it.

Bullpen has let us down two games in a row. Shiet.

Off-topic, but related to Shiet: scoring on your own goal in OT of a playoff game. Thanks, Sharks.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aargh. Stop blowing Lincecum's wins, stupid bullpen.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Yep, that's two in a row. The Phils extra inning loss last week was on Boche for taking out Lincecum with 2 outs to go.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Runzler needs to be the go to righty in tight spots not Romo.

Also how about the Sharks jumping to a 3-0 series lead?
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If only Runzler weren't a lefty LOL.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
If only Runzler weren't a lefty LOL.
He's so good he could pitch both ways....yeah I blanked badly on that one thanks. Romo just came up huge so I look like an even bigger ass now. :D
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This crap with Lincecum is getting ridiculous. I am happy with a win, for sure, but how is Lincecum going to win his 3rd Cy Young if his bullpen keeps blowing his wins? Strikeouts alone aren't gonna do it.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Nope, the bullpen de-railed a few wins for him late last year that I thought were going to be the cause of Timmy not repeating. He'll get his, but having a "special" (25+ wins) season that I believe he's capable of won't happen with the bullpen giving away that many of his wins this early.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I think last year showed that he doesnt have to win a lot of games for people to recognize that he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Funny thing is, if they Giants did make playoffs, Timmy could easily pitch half the games with his throwing motion that essentially takes all the stress off his arm.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

True, but they have to get there first! If the Giants get into the postseason, teams will not want to face them and their pitching rotation. They should be able to do some damage.