Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is an interesting issue. I always think about where people went and where they would go in another draft.

i actually think the bengals might've taken mike vick. They had a strong running game and not much of receivers (i think chad was either finished his first or second year and the bengals needed a sparkplug. So i feel like mike vick would've been the pick

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Quick reminder: Vince Young was drafted ahead of Matt Leinart. I think that answers this question.
The ONLY reason this happened is because Bud Adams intervened and made that pick himself. Otherwise it more than likely would have been Leinart or a trade down for Cutler.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).
You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.
Hrmm maybe I am. I coulda swore he was hyped for his super 40 time and people were questioning his throw arm because he came out early.

either way, Palmer was a safe pick, and that's exactly the Bengals needed at the time.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post

actually in my thought process, I said the bengals would pick vick because they did pick akili smith in the past. What better way to erase the memory of a bust pick but with a flashy pick that will bring spotlight to your team? then again, i would understand the idea of a "safe" pick. I just get the impression the bengals are not typically a "safe" team

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote