Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Wildcat

As you all know there is new offensive formation in the NFL. The Wildcat offense, similar to that of run-option formations at the college level, actually used by Arkansas, brought into the NFL by Head Coach Tony Sparano of the Miami Dolphins, who got the idea from Quarterbacks coach, David Lee. In it's first year, it was an unexpected formation that caught defenses off guard. It was very successful, but now is it a fluke or is it here to stay?

Let's start off by explaining what it is, for those who don't already know. The Wildcat is an offensive formation that focuses on changes at the skill positions thusly: The quarterback lines up as a flanker (aka wide receiver), the halfback lines up as the quarterback, and there is a fullback or other tailback in motion from a split out position just before the play begins. The wildcat is confusing to a defense because so many things can happen as the play unfolds: You can hand the ball to the guy in motion, or that guy can go to the weak side and throw a block. The quarterback (at receiver) himself may throw a block or go out for a pass. It also very effective due to the blocking matchups. Miami is running it with an unbalanced offensive line (which Cleveland runs alot out of most formations.) That unbalanced line takes the left tackle and plays him on the right side inside of the tight end. This fortifies the other side of the line so as to make the play asymmetrical as the motion begins with the split-wide halfback left to right. (Or the same scenario only right to left and you have two tackles on the left side instead, etc.) (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6171615AAjBZ1S)

Some people say it is a fad that will be gone by next year, and that defensive coordinators have already figured it out. I have to respectfully disagree. Not only will offensive coordinators add new plays to this offense, defenses still haven't proved able to stop the original 4 plays in the offense. These 4 plays look exactly alike, and it is almost impossible to make a pre-snap read on what exactly is going to happen, each with 4 different options. As seen here...

HB Dive: Similar to what Darren McFadden was called upon to do occasionally at Arkansas.

Fake HB Dive RB Sweep: This play confuses defenses, not knowing which RB to go after.

Play-Action Pass: Ronnie Brown has a decent ability to throw, but with someone like a Michael Vick or Pat White this play is deadly.

HB Pass: Same as the last one.

These are just the four original Wildcat plays, and only one wildcat formation, no doubt not only are their more formations, that there are also coordinators all-over the league coming up with new ideas for this system. The Wildcat was highly successful almost every time it was used here is an example of the Wildcat at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bbonONvlw
The Vid embed does not work for me so if it doesn't for you here is the link.

The Wildcat is not a gimmick and it is an offense that is here to stay. It will slowly be developed, and it may never be a full-fledged offense, like the west coast offense, spread, etc. it will be a highly effective formation that will give DCs fits. If the Dolphins spent a 2nd rounder on Pat White to be a part of their Wildcat offense, I am fairly certain they are confident in that offense to continue on its success in the NFL. Toward the end of the year many other teams began experimenting with it, with some pretty good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i4Dy...eature=related
A link to the first of a series of successful Wildcat plays

All you require to run the offense is some athleticism at the QB position, or at least a RB who can throw the ball. As seen with Ronnie Brown, who caught everyone off guard when he revealed he was a lefty. Top candidates are athletic QBs like Michael Vick, Pat White, Vince Young, etc. who are perfect for the Wildcat offense

As for this upcoming year, I think the Wildcat will be used even more with more plays, with better results, and by a wider array of teams. Pat White will give the Dolphins an opportunity to be very creative on offense, and this can be very deadly. Now defenses have planned against it, but I believe there is enough variation for the Wildcat to remain effective. Even if the D-Coordinators figure it out there are at least 7 different options on almost every play, run the ball left, run right, handoff underneath, throw it to four different available targets, or run it straight up the gut. The Wildcat is here to stay. Thoughts, agreements, disagreements... all welcome!

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that the wildcat can only be run effectivelty 5-10 times a game max. The beauty of it, like any trick play or formation, is that it catches the defense off gaurd. Sometimes it may just be one guy who guesses wrong but that's all it takes. One misstep by a backer or safety and you got yourself a problem. However, I really think defenses are going to get the better of the wildcat this year and I'm glad Zorn has decided not to use it but I can't wait to see what Miami is going to do with it now that they have Pat White.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id like to see the Jets give it a try. remember we have brad smith. him and leon could be deadly together. i remember last year we ran a couple options with those 2. not really the wild cat but still.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
I think that the wildcat can only be run effectivelty 5-10 times a game max. The beauty of it, like any trick play or formation, is that it catches the defense off gaurd. Sometimes it may just be one guy who guesses wrong but that's all it takes. One misstep by a backer or safety and you got yourself a problem. However, I really think defenses are going to get the better of the wildcat this year and I'm glad Zorn has decided not to use it but I can't wait to see what Miami is going to do with it now that they have Pat White.
Obviously defenses are much more prepared for it, but still like I said I am sure OCs are adding new dimensions to it, and even with a prepared defense, there are 7 different options at one time, its hard to predict which one is coming at you.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You make a very convincing and well thought out arguement. However, I disagree. I feel like the success of the wildcat is on the downfall already.

It's simply not dependable. Lets say you're running it in a big game, playoffs or superbowl, etc. The opponent is going to spend an entire week watching game tape and getting ready for everything. It's not dependable when it's 3rd and short, and you can't count on it for chain moving pass plays either. I'd take a big, bruising OL like the Giants over Mike Vick, Pat White and Ronnie Brown any day.

Is the quarterback lining up at WR really productive?

Maybe you can't pin down what play is coming when you look at the formation, but when you have an NFL speed defense where all 11 guys are doing their job, I don't see how it's going to change much. The DL pushes the gaps they are assigned and the linebackers flow to the play. At best, it's not much different from a WR reverse play.

Do you really want a running back throwing multiple passes per game? The Wildcat will turn out to have a higher turnover rate than most any other offense, IMO. For this reason and because asking the RB to assess the defense, make calls at the line and take a shotgun snap every play. To me, that's an opportunity for a well coached and talented defensive unit to create all kinds of chaos.

I certainly wouldn't build a team for this formation. But I understand why the Dolphins are going down that road. If you can use a couple 2nd day draft picks and your existing personnel, it could be a great 1st and 10, 2nd and 5 formation when you are losing and need a big play. I just don't see it being used in big games, crucial situations. It's not going to make an average team that much better, or bring a simply good team to the superbowl.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 06-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Obviously defenses are much more prepared for it, but still like I said I am sure OCs are adding new dimensions to it, and even with a prepared defense, there are 7 different options at one time, its hard to predict which one is coming at you.
With more responsibility and different schemes though that face defenses, it also causes the same problems on offense. Think of how many more things can go wrong on offense if you have a base playbook with God knows how many plays and then another 20 plays of Wildcat where like you said the ball can go 7 different ways. Maybe this is my skins homerism coming out because we are too dumb imo to run this formation and we would just blow it, but I think only a couple teams are going to be succesful with the Wildcat and how much even I am still skeptical on. Teams better be ready though because I think we will see a lot of surprise Wildcat formations from teams you wouldn't expect. (Thigpen scored his recieveing TD out of the wildcat if I'm not mistaken.)

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in my opinion, the wildcat will be something that will work well during the regular season, but will falter in big games in the playoffs.

i have a theory to that. last year, the wildcat was so effective because of its element of surprise. Last year when the dolphins showcased it against the pats, it was something that was never seen. But the reason that it wont work against teams in the playoffs is because teams that make the playoffs do their homeworks during the week in film study. Teams that sit down and have coaches who can plan against the wildcat, will be successful in defeating it.

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you look at the Maimi vs Baltimore game you can see the wildcat get thoroughly shut down. Baltimore had disciplined gap control and used blitzes to throw off the timing of the wildcat offense. I think in that game the Wildcat produced 4 yards and a false start in 5 attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
With more responsibility and different schemes though that face defenses, it also causes the same problems on offense. Think of how many more things can go wrong on offense if you have a base playbook with God knows how many plays and then another 20 plays of Wildcat where like you said the ball can go 7 different ways. Maybe this is my skins homerism coming out because we are too dumb imo to run this formation and we would just blow it, but I think only a couple teams are going to be succesful with the Wildcat and how much even I am still skeptical on. Teams better be ready though because I think we will see a lot of surprise Wildcat formations from teams you wouldn't expect. (Thigpen scored his recieveing TD out of the wildcat if I'm not mistaken.)
Obviously D-Coordinators plan against it, and of course it won't work every time, but like I said in my post O-Coordinators also have time to make adjustments and add more so the D-Coordinators must always be on task.

I also said in my post, that I think the Wildcat is here to stay but not necessarily as a base formation, I said that it will be used as a formation much like the spread/shotgun formation, maybe a team with the perfect personel can run it as full fledged offense, like the Patriots do with their spread like offense.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 06-03-2009, 03:14 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to interject because though you're correct with David Lee and Sparano implementing the offense in the NFL, Dan Henning played a fairly instrumental role.

When the Panthers had some QB issues with Chris Weinke filling in for Delhomme Henning dug deep into his playbook for some of the Wildcat plays we see being used in Miami for DeAngelo Williams (then a rookie) who was familiar with some of the packages due to some similar flavors of offense being used at memphis when a WR was forced to play QB for a period during his tenure there.

Henning is an often overlooked cog in that organisation and deserves at least some of the credit.

After re-reading this thread, I thought I might add, while the wildcat is "here to stay" and D-Coordinators haven't necessarily found the bane to it's existence we've seen a lot of examples of different offenses and defenses being developed to stop specific offenses, the WCO and the 34 immediately spring to mind.

Coordinators do adjust and there's no doubt in my mind that there's plenty of D coordinators dissecting film this year in preparation of facing the dolphins this coming season.

Last edited by BlindSite : 06-03-2009 at 06:08 AM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd just like to point out that the "Wildcat" was not invented by any of these people, it was a mainstay of offenses in one of the earlier eras of the NFL.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd just like to point out that the "Wildcat" was not invented by any of these people, it was a mainstay of offenses in one of the earlier eras of the NFL.
Which is true I did read that somewhere. But there was a lot less passing in that old school offense which was more of a hard-nosed running offense.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Wildcat may have already ran its course for now. And if the Dolphins drafted Pat White thinking they are going to run it even more than they did last year, they are going to be in for a rude awakening. The less you run it, the more effective it will be, if at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to point out that the Browns have been using the wildcat or "flash" as we call it, for several years.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice write up.

I agree it is here to stay and will be implemented by more teams this season and probably beyond. It won't be as a full time, base offense by any means, but it can be effective.

My thoughts on it are this: teams with stud QBs will not use it. There's just no sense in taking the ball out of a great QB's hands and asking a RB to make the correct decision, then make a good throw in passing situations. I love Kevin Faulk but I'm all set with him behind center while Brady lines up outside.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Nice write up.

I agree it is here to stay and will be implemented by more teams this season and probably beyond. It won't be as a full time, base offense by any means, but it can be effective.

My thoughts on it are this: teams with stud QBs will not use it. There's just no sense in taking the ball out of a great QB's hands and asking a RB to make the correct decision, then make a good throw in passing situations. I love Kevin Faulk but I'm all set with him behind center while Brady lines up outside.
Agreed on this. No team with a franchise QB will run the Wildcat. It's basically a formation to try and level the playing field for less talented teams.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, the wildcat requires a few players with certain skill sets. You need guys who can master multiple talents (passing, catching, rushing) to run it at it's maximum effectiveness.

Since prototypical pocket passers like Peyton Manning are so valuable and generally only possess the throwing skill set, it's unlikely that any coach is willing to risk the health of these QB's to have them go out and catch a pass and possibly get injured.

however, if you wanted to build an offensive playbook that used not only the wildcat, but other QB-option / run first type formations, then it's possible a guy like pat White could run that type of offense.

The reason why I doubt the Dolphins, or anyone for that matter, try this scheme is because it's too risky.

1) If Pat White (or any QB that a franchise tries this with) fails then you just spent 2-3 years building an offense that doesn't work. No body wants to be the team that takes that risk to build an offense that may or may not work.

2) I remember reading an article on Michael Vick and the person being interviewed (I don't remember who now) said, "Every time he left the pocket everyone on the sidelines held their breath" for fear of him getting injured. Vick had a unique skill set, as well as Pat White, and if you build an offense around him then your team lives and dies by his health because there aren't enough QB's built in that mold.

3) You basically take a job away from your current reliable pocket passer. if the Dolphins completely changed their offense, then Pennington doesn't help your team at all.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the thing is they won't completely change their offense. it'll be apart of the offense. if someone gets hurt then that part of the offense is useless, but its not like the team will be screwed.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The crazy thing is that the Wildcat is not new..Jets used it in '06...I'm sure the Chargers have used it with Tomlinson/Brees and maybe even Tomlinson/Rivers...theres no real way to stop it but to have a D that is ready to react to it...hell I think we used it back with Martin/Jordan/Pennington...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
LookItsAlDavis
Veteran

LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny how everyone is saying that their teams were the ones that came up with it...nobody cared about it until Arkansas got on a winning streak with it 3 years ago, then everyone blew a load when it came to the NFL. It's a fad that will pass as teams figure it out.
LookItsAlDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a variety of teams used parts of the offense as trick plays based on this thread alone we can add

NYJ
CAR
CLE
SD

To the list as well as Miami, the point is though, it seems Miami is somewhat committed to riding the offense as it's mainstay, not a gimmick or a last ditch to be more competitive.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It worked really awesome for Miami that one game against New England, but other than that it was just a good wrinkle at best in an offense. I think ESPN and the fans are blowing it up to be a crazy good idea because a lot of teams have been copy-catting the Dolphins and throwing that wrinkle into their offense. Josh Cribbs ran it, he can throw (QB at Kent State), not much more effective than if you have a RB. I don't think it'll die like a fad, but I do think that the hype around it will. I don't think the success of that formation will increase anymore than it has with defensive coaches figuring out ways to stop it. Heck last year in the 2nd meeting of MIA/NE Ronnie Brown didn't do crap.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wildcat is a trick play it's not an offense.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
The Wildcat is a trick play it's not an offense.
There are multiple plays you can run out of the Wildcat formation. I think you meant to say formation rather than "play".

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
There are multiple plays you can run out of the Wildcat formation. I think you meant to say formation rather than "play".
Yeah that is more along the lines of what I ment. There is no such thing as a "Wildcat offense" Though it's not an offense it's just a trick play formation.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote