Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Staley signs extension with Niners; 6 year extention $42 mil

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4231521

Odd that he got a new deal after only 2 years of playing, but damn now they have him until 2017. Interesting move by the 9ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good move to lock him up now before things get crazy within the next few years. He played great once Just Turnovers "Holds the ball too long" O'Sullivan got benched.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Strange. He had a first round contract anyway so its not like he was making pennies. Seems like a bad precedent for future rookies. Doesn't this just give Patrick Willis justification to demand a new contract?
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Staley a lot coming out of college, but I was under the impression that he had a pretty rough year overall in 2008 (I do know he shaped up some later on in the year).
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like this move for either side right now....

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Not a big fan of this really......
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

locking players up long-term before they become pro bowl type contributors... sounds risky but the payoff (a relatively cheap LT for the next decade) is huge. If Staley plays as well as he could, the Niners could look brilliant.

On the other hand if he bombs they're in trouble.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?
But I can guarantee that in a few years when the contract they're playing for looks like peanuts compared to what far lesser players are getting in the open market, these guys will be pretty peeved.

You could look at it and be like "well thats their problem....good for the organization....nothing the player can do but hold out....etc etc."

But we see those type of players hold out all of the time. And in many cases, they force a trade or get the new contract they want.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Quote:
Staley said the 49ers approached him early in the offseason about working out a contract extension. He said he has gotten the indication that this is what the 49ers plan to do with some other players, including linebacker Patrick Willis.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ough-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total .

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ough-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total .

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D
Imagine those contract talks...

"Hi Patrick, sit down"
- "Thanks, what's up?"
"We want to talk about your contract"
- "okay, what about it"
"We want to extend it, is that ok"
- "depends on how long you want to extend it"
"what are you thinking"
- "4, maybe 5, years... something like that"
"hmmmmm we were thinking something a little different"
- "really? what then?"
"how about UNTIL YOU DIE"
- *gulp*

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the 49ers standpoint i really don't see the point of this, all it's going to do is create friction between Staley and the organisation in a few years when he realises he's being drastically underpaid.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM    (permalink
B-Dawk
Veteran

B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is what the eagles have practiced for a while, and it works for a while until like now when the player are now underpaid per market value, and ask for more money.

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)
B-Dawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.
He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.
And then they will extend him again?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
And then they will extend him again?
Potentially. That would be ideal for both sides obviously......doesn't happen that often though without some kicking, screaming and holding-out though.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not really concerned personally. The one thing the 49ers organization does well is negotiating contracts with players. We've never really had an issue with that. A the last several seasons. And our rookies are even on time and usually signed before training camp begins. I think the last issue we had was with Mike Rumph when he held out of training camp as a rookie.

Ever since we got rid of that clown Terry Donahue and gotten ourselves out of salary cap hell, things haven't been too bad.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Imagine those contract talks...

"Hi Patrick, sit down"
- "Thanks, what's up?"
"We want to talk about your contract"
- "okay, what about it"
"We want to extend it, is that ok"
- "depends on how long you want to extend it"
"what are you thinking"
- "4, maybe 5, years... something like that"
"hmmmmm we were thinking something a little different"
- "really? what then?"
"how about UNTIL YOU DIE"
- "**** YEAH!
*Fixed it for ya!*

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still remember Mel Kiper down grading us because we didn't draft Staley, who he had for us.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

imagine the 9ers wouldnt have traded up and they wouldve drafted Clady

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Clady is a beast.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We would have drafted Sed Ellis at No. 7.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i remember the Ravens were really high on Staley, but it all ended up well.
This is probably the first time ive seen a young player get a big money extension so soon after his initial contract. I can see both good and bad coming from this, but you cant complain about locking up a cornerstone for a long time.

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he has played every snap sinse being drafted and has been stellar since being drafted, why not lock him up while he's cheap?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 06-07-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

* * *UPDATE II: The 49ers had approximately $25 million in cap space when the day began. They wisely worked the extension with Staley to eat into that figure. To lessen the deal's impact on the future, Staley's cap figure this year rises from $1.42 million to $11.6 million. The deal is very similar to what the 49ers did in 2007 with Nate Clements when they gave him a $10M roster bonus that counted immediaely against that year's cap.

Another Smart move like they did with Clements, his future cap figures will be VERY reasonable as are Clements.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote