Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
kinda like Sergio Brown only smaller
Will Hill is 6'3", 210. Sergio Brown is 6'2", 205. Will Hill is also much more talented. Your point is idiotic.

Quote:
Like Michigan never has been overrated, lol.
I could have sworn we were discussing ND here. Yes, Michigan's been overrated, but they're not a part of this discussion.

Quote:
Maybe you've seen it but you apparently havent been looking.
When Steven Threet can have a decent statistical game against you, you're not good.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tennessee got less production from its DL than ND did last year and still finished with the fourth-ranked secondary. As long as Eric Berry is at Tennessee, their secondary will automatically be better than ND's.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Epic lulz here.

Wicket, where do you rank Clausen with the other qbs in the country?
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sniper's already jumped all over it, but the answer without even thinking is Florida. if I felt like I needed to, I'm sure I could come up with others......but Florida's are so obviously the best that I don't even need to.

I'm sure I'll be watching this super awesome secondary get smoked again this year.....like always.
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

HS and I agree on something?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
Epic lulz here.

Wicket, where do you rank Clausen with the other qbs in the country?
depends, as a pro prospect quite high (about 5th of the draft eligeble qb's) as a college qb about tenth prolly.
I'll break down ND so that you lot can ***** about every point.
pos: ND's rankings nationally according to me:
QB: +- 10th
RB: +- 30th (good depth, not a lot proven)
WR: top 5
TE: top 10
OL: about 20th (experienced but a lot remains to be proven)
DL: about 50th (talented but young)
LB: about 30th (brian smith=god but the rest is either young or not that great)
DB: 1st
kicking game: 80th or something like that, our kickers are terrible.
would result in:
offense: 10-20
defense 20-30
would fit with my ranking of late teens (17 would be my guess now but havent made a ranking) nationally.

ND's best 10 (imo, but you can see why I rate our secondary the way i do):
1 Golden Tate WR
2 Brian Smith LB
3 Darrin Walls CB
4 Michael Floyd WR
5 Kyle Rudolph TE
6 Robert Blanton CB
7 Kyle McCarthy SS
8 Ethan Johnson DE
9 Sam Young RT
10 Harrison Smith FS
HM: Eric Olsen, Jimmy Clausen, Armando Allen, Sergio Brown.

If you want any other thing from me about ND so you lot can call me a homer, please do ask.

Saints 2014 draft

1st: Jason Verrett
2nd: Donte Moncrief
3rd: Jimmy Ward
4th: JaWuan James
5th: Dri Archer
6th: Gabe Ikard
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

10th-best QB in the nation and he's not even a top 10 player on his own team.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Tennessee got less production from its DL than ND did last year and still finished with the fourth-ranked secondary. As long as Eric Berry is at Tennessee, their secondary will automatically be better than ND's.
tenn: 23 sacks and 79 tfl
ND: 27 sacks and 59 tfl

wouldnt exactly call that less production. 20tfl>>> 4 sacks.

Besides that ND allowed lower completion percentage(56 vs 54 %), Tenn did have more interceptions though (17 vs 14)

So its nice that you make statements but at least say something that is true.

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
10th-best QB in the nation and he's not even a top 10 player on his own team.
Not that much teams with really good qbs this season imo.
After McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, Locker and Snead things are getting mighty thin.

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have my Lindy's and Athlon mags right here. I wasn't going to read them until my vacation next week.....but I cracked them just for you, domer homer. Not only is ND not ranked #1 in either mag for secondary.....they aren't even listed. Not that those 2 magazines are the absolute word on anything, but you'd think the hands down best secondary would at least get a mention, no?

Teams better than ND according to them, in no order: Florida, USC, Tenn, Cal, VT, Bama, Iowa, Ohio State, UCLA, Boise St, LSU, TCU, Northwestern, & BC.

But the people who put those lists together probably just didn't watch ND last year.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
tenn: 23 sacks and 79 tfl
ND: 27 sacks and 59 tfl

wouldnt exactly call that less production. 20tfl>>> 4 sacks.

Besides that ND allowed lower completion percentage(56 vs 54 %), Tenn did have more interceptions though (17 vs 14)

So its nice that you make statements but at least say something that is true.
I only looked at sacks, TBH. That H is for honest, not honoust. Just a little heads-up. Tennessee had much better yardage against and had the 10th-best ypa average.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Not that much teams with really good qbs this season imo.
After McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, Locker and Snead things are getting mighty thin.
Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jevan Snead, Dan LeFevour, Daryl Clark, Zac Robinson, Max Hall, and Tim Hiller are all guys I would take in a second over Clausen.

Other guys I'd seriously consider ahead of Clausen include...

- Terrelle Pryor
- Whoever is Texas Tech's QB this year.
- Todd Reesing
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Colt McCoy(1), Sam Bradford(2), Tim Tebow(3), Jevan Snead(4), Dan LeFevour(5), Daryl Clark(6), Zac Robinson(7), Max Hall(8), and Tim Hiller(9) are all guys I would take in a second over Clausen.

Other guys I'd seriously consider ahead of Clausen include...

- Terrelle Pryor
- Whoever is Texas Tech's QB this year.
- Todd Reesing
and one of these three add up to ten nicely
Added a few thing. (although i think i would take locker over clausen for cfb but imo clausen > hiller but we're talking details here)

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
I only looked at sacks, TBH. That H is for honest, not honoust. Just a little heads-up. Tennessee had much better yardage against and had the 10th-best ypa average.
5.8 to 6.0 a difference but not that big, but yeah the ypa of tenn was better.

It is originally honoust, that americans have just raped the spelling to honest in time doesnt make it an obligation to me to write it the wrong way.

Back to the topic. ND fans i talked to all rate the DB's the best part of the team and rate them over our wideouts and tight ends, so maybe our db's dont get national recognition everywhere but people watching all games of a team or better suited for rating a part of that team right.

Blitzing a lot + still little sacks make it tough to perform for a secondary, to do what they did last season was really impressive and they've only gotten better with walls returning and Harrison smith moving to his natural free safety position.

check them out next season, you'll like them.

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

Yeah....here's the thing about taking the word from ND fans because they've watched them more than anybody else. They're also homers.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
Yeah....here's the thing about taking the word from ND fans because they've watched them more than anybody else. They're also homers.
And that influences how they rate certain parts of their team to other parts of the same team how?

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

And ND homers thinking the DBs are better than the WRs means the DBs are the best in the nation, how?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
And ND homers thinking the DBs are better than the WRs means the DBs are the best in the nation, how?
that is not the argument. But everybody seems to agree that ND's wr are pretty good and since our DB's are better they can be no worse than pretty good.
Hence if our WR's are lets say top 5-10 nationally and are DB's are better, odds are that they are top 5-10 nationally as well.
It is a personal statement that they are the best, one you are free to disagree with. I dont take offense in that but I do think it is just wrong to think that is an outrageous(sp?) opinion.

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Hence if our WR's are lets say top 5-10 nationally and are DB's are better, odds are that they are top 5-10 nationally as well.
Your DBs haven't shown in games that they're better than Floyd, Tate, Rudolph et al. Doing it in practice is a good start, but unless they're good in games, it doesn't mean ****. If rankings were determined by practice, Stevie Brown would be better than Ed Reed, Sean Taylor and Eric Berry put together.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

when you present it as 'ND has the best secondary and if you don't agree you're crazy', then yeah, it's rather outrageous. I've heard of Walls and McCarthy because of recruiting (not because of on-field success), and I've never heard of the other guys. maybe you have a nice collection of stars from the recruiting services, but that's about it.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Hill would easily start at Notre Dame, and I'm unbiased here.

Oh, and Rutgers at 16. God, everyone's hyping RU. the one year I'm actually nervous to start the season...

GOOOOOO RUTGERS <3

Tim Brown for Heismann!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Your DBs haven't shown in games that they're better than Floyd, Tate, Rudolph et al. Doing it in practice is a good start, but unless they're good in games, it doesn't mean ****. If rankings were determined by practice, Stevie Brown would be better than Ed Reed, Sean Taylor and Eric Berry put together.
there is some truth to your statement but although they didnt have good season simultaniously all except Harisson smith showed great season.
-Blanton was quite impressive last season and our best db
-Walls was about our best player two season ago (not difficult i know but still) and didnt play last season so its not like he got worse after a good season he just wasnt enrolled.
-McCarthy was our defensive MVP prolly last season, leading the team in tackles with more than 100
-With Smith you have a point, although he did play a pretty decent season last season, out of position at sam, the coaching staff told him he was to good to keep of the field and could also contribute out of his natural position.

So as a unit they havent performed up to the standard I hold them to yet but as individuals they have performed pretty well,

Saints 2014 draft

Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
really check it out during the season. We have four corners (Blanton, Walls, McNeill and Gray) who would be starters anywhere, we have last years leading tackler McCarthey, an athletic freak in Sergio Brown and a great tackler with good quickness and lateral movement in Harrison Smith. If you are so certain that it is homerific this, please give me a secondary i should take over ours. (spoiler alert, florida wont do, less depth and to small corners)
Virginia Tech.. I mean really. It's a VT defense.

And...

- Stephan Virgil was a beast last year.
- Cris Hill, Rock Carmichael, and Eddie Whitley are all neck and neck for the number two spot. Super deep.
- Kam Chancellor is a man.
- Devon Morgan and Dorian Porch both got major PT last season, will remain this year.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
-McCarthy was our defensive MVP prolly last season, leading the team in tackles with more than 100
Tackles are always a great indicator of a DB's worth.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tackles are always a great indicator of a DB's worth.
it shows how much they got beat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote