Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thinking about buying a new laptop...

What do you guys use? Any recommendations? I have an HP now and i absolutely hate it. I bought it like a year and a half ago, and its had 2 major repairs and 2 minors. Now, the power jack is broke on it and its going to take 2 weeks for future shop to fix it. And Im sick of being inconvenienced by this repair ********. That said, anyone in here geeky enough to tell me whats great on the market right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah HP's are garbage.

I just got a Dell Inspiron and I'm really happy with it.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are you going to use it for? Price range?

Personally I bought an eee pc and I love it. I dont do any video editing or games that need a good video card or anything so it fits my needs perfectly. Its small, cheap, runs windows xp, has ~5 hour battery life and fits easily in my backpack to take to class. I would recommend it if you want something that is really portable. The only gripe I kind have is that the keyboard is smaller than a full sized one. Its not tiny like the first eee pc's and I dont have trouble typing on it, but it is smaller.

Something like this is pretty good. Has a supposed 9.5 hour battery life too: http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netboo...27768&sr =8-2

Im amazed at how much computer you can get now days for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 06-09-2009 at 01:18 AM.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Price range is anything from 0-1200, but if i can get a good one for cheaper, I will. I looked at the Sony Vaio alot, the NS series, which is 1099 up here, for what is supposed to be a pretty good computer.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as I'm concerned, if all you need is a solid, reliable pc laptop, Lenovo is the only way to go. They aren't the best looking (although they've gotten a lot better in recent years) and they aren't stuffed to the gills with things like overly glossy screens, but if you wanted all that, why not spring for a macbook?
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just went through the same thing you did. Had a brand new Dell Inspiron bought 2 years ago and just had problem after problem. Even my dell desktop went to ****.

So like yourself I was sick of it and wanted something reliable. So I went with a Macbook. I researched them a lot and had used them on occasion so I was familiar w/ them. Also from everyone I know that had one for 2 or more years say they loved the and havent had a problem with them at all.

So far I have had my Macbook (the 13 in aluminum) since early April and Im very happy with it. I have many things installed on it and it hasnt slowed a bit. I did order mine w/ upgrades though.

The original Macbook (the white one) can be had as low as $999, and for a solid laptop thats not bad especially if you consider all the $ you have put into repairs.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I hear good things about Macs from all kinds of average joe users, but I dont know one super computer literate person who likes them. Every hacker/geek/computer engineer that I know despises Apple. That makes me uneasy towards them. Not to mention it is indeed an entirely new operating system to learn and they arent compatibile with alot of software or other computer systems these days. Thats bad news as well.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It just depends on what you're going to use it for.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I hear good things about Macs from all kinds of average joe users, but I dont know one super computer literate person who likes them. Every hacker/geek/computer engineer that I know despises Apple.
My experience doesn't ring true with that. Honestly, I'm none too fond of Apple (but that's mostly because of their branding and not at all related to the quality of their products), but a lot of people I know who work in the tech industry use a Mac in their free time after using PCs all day. Honestly, OSX is good operating system. It's the cost and lifetime of the machine that's prohibitive.

Honestly, Macs are more accessible and compatible than they ever have been. You can even run windows on your mac if you don't want to learn a new system. I still won't buy one, but they're totally quality.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 06-09-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mac compatibility is certainly getting better but if you are planning on gaming at all then don't bother with one.

I have found that those with programming backgrounds prefer PC over Macs, if you are looking at doing graphical and video editing you cant go wrong with a Mac.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

don't buy fijutsu siemens. I have one and it becomes very very warm after a while. I can't have it on my lap, that's how hot it gets.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I hear good things about Macs from all kinds of average joe users, but I dont know one super computer literate person who likes them. Every hacker/geek/computer engineer that I know despises Apple.
Thats the complete opposite of what my expierences have been.

I have a few friends in the tech worlds and they all use Mac. Several companies they have worked for use Mac as the company computer. They would go to work for someone and then tell me that they are getting a new G5 tomorrow to work on. And these jobs are in Dallas and Southern California and I am pretty sure those two areas are leading the charge on techie jobs and starter companies.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lenovo T series is the best on the market, IMO. I'm planning on getting a T-500 myself. Fantastic CPU performance, best keyboard, and can even play most of the advanced computer games.

Last edited by Michigan : 06-09-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make sure it has cup-holders.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say, as I am also looking for a laptop like APS is. 1200 is probably a good upper range, although I'd like to see if I can get something under 1000. I'm interested in a MacBook because there's a deal for college students where you can get a free iTouch if you by a MacBook through Apple. Pretty tempting. I'm not totally opposed to PC at this point, as I've barely begun to look around.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
I'd also like to hear what people have to say, as I am also looking for a laptop like APS is. 1200 is probably a good upper range, although I'd like to see if I can get something under 1000. I'm interested in a MacBook because there's a deal for college students where you can get a free iTouch if you by a MacBook through Apple. Pretty tempting. I'm not totally opposed to PC at this point, as I've barely begun to look around.
That's what I did when I bought my Macbook. You get the student discount, and a rebate for the IPod, it is very nice.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lenovo's are little compact tanks. Durable, reliable and consistently gets great reviews. I'd definitely recommend one of those.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is their anything you are looking for personally?

Screen size, Intel or AMD, HD space, do you want HDMI, 32 or 64bit, is a blu-ray drive necessary [I know you're a movie buff]..

I'm not that great with brands as I never owned a laptop [I always buy desktop parts from Tiger Direct and Newegg and build my own desktop] but I'll try to throw some input out.

I agree that you should avoid the HP and Compaq brands though.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eee PCs ftw

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are you going to use it for? If your not planning on doing any hardcore computing, just using Word/Internet, then go with a netbook. They have like 20gb hard drives you can find bigger ones though. Or you can just buy a 100 gb 2.5 inch hard drive and carry that with you.

You can get a pretty good one for 500. Its lightweight, very portable and for simple task.

But if you want to spend higher and are looking to do more then surf the web and use basic programs Lenovo is the way to go. You actually paying for the computer rather than the looks. Go with a quad core system and now at least 3 gb of ram.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
Thats the complete opposite of what my expierences have been.

I have a few friends in the tech worlds and they all use Mac. Several companies they have worked for use Mac as the company computer. They would go to work for someone and then tell me that they are getting a new G5 tomorrow to work on. And these jobs are in Dallas and Southern California and I am pretty sure those two areas are leading the charge on techie jobs and starter companies.
G5 desktop is very different from a Mac Pro laptop.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take a mac over anything. But I bought an HP Pavilion dv4 entertainment laptop. And I haven't had any troubles with it. I wanted to buy a mac, but I didn't have enough graduation money to get it. :(

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure about macs, I'm very very used to using windows and the way the Mac OS uses the screen I dislike. That and no right mouse button (why? why no right mouse button?!) makes me give the edge to non-mac computers.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Lets not turn this into Mac Vs. PC....everyone knows that Linux is the best operating system out there.