Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

going into college in the fall, i'm looking for a laptop as well. my budget's pretty low. i have $500 saved up for now and my ceiling is probably $800. from research, i found i can get the most bang for my buck in terms of RAM and whatnot from the inspiron and the toshiba satellite. i was actually aiming for an hp but some people on here seem to not like it. my mom got a toshiba satellite and it's not too shabby and my sister had a really bad experience with a dell a few years back. i was favoring the slightly more pricey hp but wanna know why some of you guys dislike it.

i'm looking for at least 3gb of RAM, at least a 14.1 in display, at least 2.0GHz clock speed and definitely an intel duo core processor. any suggestions?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smaller the screen the better, its meant to be portable. Go with Quad core processor.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Smaller the screen the better, its meant to be portable. Go with Quad core processor.
Good luck finding a 13"-14" quad-core notebook. Especially one <$1200. A Core 2 Duo should be more then enough for everyday purposes.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good luck finding a 13"-14" quad-core notebook. Especially one <$1200. A Core 2 Duo should be more then enough for everyday purposes.
ahaha yeah....its like trying to find 13-14 that doesn't have integrated graphic card.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think you can find any quad core notebooks at this point. Quad core tech is only for desktops last time I checked.

I use my computer for the same reasons everyone does really. I dont do alot of gaming, but I enjoy the odd one every now and then, although most of them are older (HOMAM3, Starcraft, etc.) and pretty much any comp can run those sort of games, so it isnt an issue.

I do a ******** of writing, both for school and for myself, and I watch a ******** of movies and TV on my computer, usually through .avi files. Bluray isnt all that important though, since I hate torrenting Bluray files which are like 6GB in comparions to the regular 700 MB and quite honestly, im fine with regular DVD quality.

I looked alot at Macbooks last night, and I like the deals Mac have. You get a huge discount on Macbooks and Macbook Pros and get the free iPod touch. That said, I also like the Sony Vaio, but I keep hearing mixed things about Sony, especially that you pay more for the name and less for the product.

I found a really sick Lenovo for 1200, but the problem is it only comes with the manufacturers warranty and there is no way to get an extended warranty on it. its a dual core, 2.4 GHZ processor, with a ******** of memory and such. But the damn thing is ugly as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I found a really sick Lenovo for 1200, but the problem is it only comes with the manufacturers warranty and there is no way to get an extended warranty on it. its a dual core, 2.4 GHZ processor, with a ******** of memory and such. But the damn thing is ugly as hell.
i always saw lenovo as a very pricey brand but they're having a sale right now and i'm really tempted to get one. i really wanna wait until companies start offering a free windows 7 upgrade though. apparently after june 26, best buy will offer it.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a number of Quad core notebooks out there in the market. They're all just pretty massive. I mean there's some core Core I7 notebooks aswell, but those will cost a pretty penny.

And as for the Lenovo Thinkpads, I love the look of it. Simple and effective.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Option B is I get my ****** HP Laptop fixed again, and just use it for class, and then buy a desktop computer, which I hear are far better then laptops.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, Option B is I get my ****** HP Laptop fixed again, and just use it for class, and then buy a desktop computer, which I hear are far better then laptops.
What is wrong with the laptop?? how much would it cost??

depending, I would go with Option B. For sure. Desktops are supreme.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id go with Mac first and Sony Vaio second
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There are a number of Quad core notebooks out there in the market. They're all just pretty massive. I mean there's some core Core I7 notebooks aswell, but those will cost a pretty penny.

And as for the Lenovo Thinkpads, I love the look of it. Simple and effective.
I use a Lenovo Thinkpad. My brother owns two. They are excellent in my mind. They are durable, simple and do the job. I've seen a lot my friends who have their monitor look as it will disconnect because it is so flimsy. The T42 I have is Solid as a ROCK.

/Picture of Bluth Homes, Solid as a Rock.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How can you suggest a quad core laptop to a guy who just uses his computer for internet, papers, and watching movies?

You have alot of very cheap options.

I dont know much about these things but you can purchase Netbooks. Basically computers that run for the web and simple word processing things. They range from 200 bucks to 1000 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...&name=Netbooks

Just a note these thinks are swank...they have small screens...only like 9 inches....but they are cheap as all get out....if thats all your looking for.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

i'm about to get a lenovo ideapad. the specs just seem better.. more RAM and hard drive space.

which is better?..

1. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
$700

2. 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
$720
Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

I'd say option 1 is the best way to go. The little speed increase the CPU won't be that noticeable, while 4GB of ram has pretty much become standard the past year. Are you looking at the U330, because I've been eying that one aswell.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

which is the first one? I really like those specs...can you link me?
Quote:
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

1. is the y550 and 2. is the y530

portability isn't a big issue for me so i wanted a big screen. the u series looks great too.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
which is the first one? I really like those specs...can you link me?
private messaged.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i was favoring the slightly more pricey hp but wanna know why some of you guys dislike it.
I dislike HP/Compaq due to the customer service. If you do buy, I seriously hope you never have to call them. Their support system is horrid, if you ever have to send them your computer expect it do be ~2-3 weeks for repair time. Plus they "tattoo" some parts so if you replace it you will get a "CODE PURPLE" which the only way to fix it so send it to HP/Compaq so they can retattoo or to install a new OS. This "tattoo" basically links the OS with the original parts of the computer [motherboard mainly] and if the "tattoo" isn't the same then the OS won't boot. You'll be at CODE PURPLE!

Quote:
If you do decide to go that route, it would be best to buy all the necessary parts and ensemble yourself. It's not hard at all, and it's very basic, connect this with this, ground yourself [touch metal before touching the part]. Building a computer is very easy. By building it yourself you should be able to a) get a better PC for the money or b) save money for a PC with the same specs a name brand carrier would be offering. Plus many parts come with lifetime warranties, my GPU and RAM both did. If you think you can build it I can look over TigerDirect for parts and try to make a few recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i'm about to get a lenovo ideapad. the specs just seem better.. more RAM and hard drive space.

which is better?..

1. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
$700

2. 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
$720
Option 1 is better spec wise. You can easily overclock your processor to gain the .13 GHZ that option 2 has without any harm to the processor at all, you have another GB of memory and you save $20.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
Newegg is great in the states, but APS is from Terrence and Phillip land. TigerDirect.ca is going to be his best choice.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I might actually buy that laptop falconer said, the Lenovo ideapad. I really like it. It isnt as clunky as the regular Lenovos, but still has the reliability and also they have great customer service.

And yes, HP has absolutely atrocious customer service.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I might actually buy that laptop falconer said, the Lenovo ideapad. I really like it. It isnt as clunky as the regular Lenovos, but still has the reliability and also they have great customer service.

And yes, HP has absolutely atrocious customer service.
See, I have had great cust. service with HP, but a terrible time with Dell. Go figure.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
Newegg is great in the states, but APS is from Terrence and Phillip land. TigerDirect.ca is going to be his best choice.
was just using it as a reference. TigerDirect is good too though they once screwed me on some SATA Cables. Really made me mad.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Ok, so at this point, its either I fix this laptop and build my own desktop, or I buy the Lenovo Ideapad or Sony Vaio. Which one do I go with?
Quote:
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ok, so at this point, its either I fix this laptop and build my own desktop, or I buy the Lenovo Ideapad or Sony Vaio. Which one do I go with?
Macbook! Wait...damn.

But Lenovo out of those choices.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Macbook! Wait...damn.

But Lenovo out of those choices.
I looked heavily into Macbooks. They arent as customizable as I like, and I couldnt find one with a 4GB RAM. That didnt sit well with me.
Quote: