Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd try deck of cards, Viddy. Won't get bored and you can make it as difficult/ not difficult as you want depending on how you are feeling that given day.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now I'm doing The Scientific 7 Minute Workout. I have an app on my phone to give me start/stop cues and I just run through it for three cycles.

A couple months ago we had a discussion about jumping rope. Everybody agreed that it's awesome and you should be doing it; but I have the same problem with downstairs neighbors.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hurt my groin pretty bad doing hip adduction exercises. I can barely stretch it out and it hurts like hell. I hope I didn't tear it.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Right now I'm doing The Scientific 7 Minute Workout. I have an app on my phone to give me start/stop cues and I just run through it for three cycles.

A couple months ago we had a discussion about jumping rope. Everybody agreed that it's awesome and you should be doing it; but I have the same problem with downstairs neighbors.
I am on the 17th floor and have never had complaints. I use a jump rope mat, so maybe that helps. Honestly, if you are good at jumping rope, it shouldn't be that loud. If you are a newbie though and are clod-hopping around, I would not like to live downstairs from you.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I'd try deck of cards, Viddy. Won't get bored and you can make it as difficult/ not difficult as you want depending on how you are feeling that given day.
Yeah I'm probably going to do deck of cards, and I'll throw in some rope when my neighbors aren't home.

Ugh. First the gym had some water problems (like, it flooded and ruined a bunch of ****) and now they're having some other kinds of problems. I got an email that they're closing AGAIN after being closed for 4-5 months the first time. It sucks, because it's in walking distance of my apartment so I'd run there, work out, run home and get a decent workout in.

Damnit. :(

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many muscle groups should you work out a day, and how many sets of exercises for each muscle group?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
How many muscle groups should you work out a day, and how many sets of exercises for each muscle group?
I mentioned last week, I'd start with either Starting Strength, Bill Starr's 5x5 or 5-3-1. Google is your friend.

Also, your injured groin is why you don't want to do fixed path, machine exercises. Especially completely useless ones like the one you injured yourself on.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I mentioned last week, I'd start with either Starting Strength, Bill Starr's 5x5 or 5-3-1. Google is your friend.

Also, your injured groin is why you don't want to do fixed path, machine exercises. Especially completely useless ones like the one you injured yourself on.
Why is hip adduction useless?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Why is hip adduction useless?
When doing an exercise, ask yourself....what real life movement that I might make is this helping make me better at? Crushing a can between your thighs does not count.

Hip adducation is basically a really **** version of more effective stretches for your groin.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
When doing an exercise, ask yourself....what real life movement that I might make is this helping make me better at? Crushing a can between your thighs does not count.

Hip adducation is basically a really **** version of more effective stretches for your groin.
Won't it help with explosion out of your cuts? It works your inner thigh muscles no?

I feel more stable in my base too.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Won't it help with explosion out of your cuts? It works your inner thigh muscles no?

I feel more stable in my base too.
It really doesn't do anything. Even if it does work inner thighs, any compound lift involving your legs will do an infinitely better job of it. It just isn't an exercise that is worth your time.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

the problem for me is i cant squat bc of a lower back injury.
lunges werent recommended either.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Leg press (i guess, even though I don't love it), Step Ups, Glute Ham raises, maybe sumo deads although the lower back may be an issue.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I currently do leg press, leg curls, hip abduction, hip adduction, calf raises.

All were machines though. If I want to get away from machine exercises, how can I do that without stressing my lower back?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
So the gym that is really close to me is closing AGAIN for some more repairs, which is totally bogus. The next closest one is like 30 minutes away from me, so I was wondering if any of you guys knew some good exercise **** one could do at home? Cardio is best, but I do have access to weights too.

Trying to cut like another 5-10 lbs. My diet is on lockdown but not having access to a gym for the foreseeable future is gunna suck.
Can't beat jogging in this heat that most of the US is going through.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Can't beat jogging in this heat that most of the US is going through.
I'd probs die if I jogged outside in Kansas during the summer. I guess if it gets REALLY humid I could just go for a swim through the air.. they say swimming is a great workout!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd probs die if I jogged outside in Kansas during the summer. I guess if it gets REALLY humid I could just go for a swim through the air.. they say swimming is a great workout!
Try working outside in it 9 hours a day in direct sun, that'll have you lose enough weight that working out isn't even needed
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gained 30 pounds in 18 months when I switched from manual labor to working at a desk.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if it's not real hard labor, people are surprised how much that does to keep you in shape.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have noticed my health has generally decreased as a whole since getting an office job. I hate sitting in a cubicle all day.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They are right with what they say about swimming. I took a couple of swimming courses at my university and they were an insane workout. Once you get to adding in the flip turns at the wall then it is even harder.

I went out jogging in the Houston heat the other day and thought I was going to die. Half of it I was walking so I guess I shouldn't say that I was jogging. I was out there for like 30 minutes.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I currently do leg press, leg curls, hip abduction, hip adduction, calf raises.

All were machines though. If I want to get away from machine exercises, how can I do that without stressing my lower back?
How strong is your core? Core and lower back issues tend to be related.

If your lower back is really giving you trouble, start with bodyweight squats and work your way up with dumbbell/kettlebell.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lower back has a lot to do with your hamstrings as well. Do you do a good job of stretching BBD? are you flexible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Lower back has a lot to do with your hamstrings as well. Do you do a good job of stretching BBD? are you flexible?
I'm not very flexible no. I try to stretch every day now, for the past 30 days. I hold every stretch for 30 seconds and that has been helping. The lower back injury is a slipped disc, and that strains the muscles in my back and my legs down to my knees so flexibility is definitely limited as a result.

I've been doing a lot of back exercises to strengthen those muscles and I stretch and that has limited the pain. Stress tends to make my back hurt though but I can't stop that from happening.

I'm not consistent in my stretching routine. That's the problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
How strong is your core? Core and lower back issues tend to be related.

If your lower back is really giving you trouble, start with bodyweight squats and work your way up with dumbbell/kettlebell.
My core is actually very strong, at least I like to think so. It's solid, I do ab exercises often and it doesn't feel soft at all. I don't have a visible six pack, but it's getting there. I'm like 10 lbs away from one.

My concern is bc I have a slipped disc in my lower back that rubs against a nerve, will squating potentially cause it to rub and take my legs out. When that happens I can't move, I'm temporarily paralyzed. That's happened before from simply bending over to pick something up, so squatting scares me a little bc if it rubs while having weight on my shoulders, I could seriously injure myself.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD, I would recommend vinyasa yoga, but more importantly, pilates. Tell them you have a back issue up front, and they will help you modify. Both exercises offer lots of core strength and flexibility work, and they are also hard. I do them both in addition to my sports and P90/Insanity because they are amazingly helpful. Granted, I don't have chronic joint issues yet (thankfully), but I want to keep it that way!

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote