Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
What kind of calories are they? Are you going off the insanity nutrition guide? You may not see it on the scale, but can you see it on your body? Feel better?
Not following the nutrition guide but i generally eat eggs with whole wheat bread, blueberries, and a ton of indian food every day (roti and/or white rice, usually half a plate, with curry). I have been eating a lot of durum wheat pasta lately for breakfeast. And no lies, i will eat some junk food now and then, but its usually a piece of chocolate, or cereal, or some chips or a cookie or something. I've cut down my junk food a lot lately, although occasionally i will binge. I'm also trying to eat about 4-5 avocados a week.

I do feel better tbh- my face/head is a little smaller, same with my gut and obliques, and i feel a bit faster when walking around- i've heard interval training helps with speed. These aren't huge changes, but i notice it because i check every day.

I just did the Harris-Benedict calculation (insanity uses this too but i found it on a google search) and i'm supposed to be eating 2646 cals per day, with weight loss subtract 500 for 2146 (i usually do 1-3 insanity workouts per week depending on time and energy i have). I think part of my problem is i miscounted calories- for example, i'd have pasta for breakfeast, and i'd count it as 500 when maybe i should have counted it as 800 or 900.

Gona try to stick to consuming 2150 cals a day when not working out, and around 2700 when working out (assuming an average workout burns 550-600 cals)
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I have noticed my health has generally decreased as a whole since getting an office job. I hate sitting in a cubicle all day.
I know what you mean man. I did landscaping every summer during college and for a year after I graduated. Since 06 I have had the typical office jobs and it's not the same. I miss being able to work outside doing manual labor.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What types of cardio does everyone do? Mostly intervals? longer runs?
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Not following the nutrition guide but i generally eat eggs with whole wheat bread, blueberries, and a ton of indian food every day (roti and/or white rice, usually half a plate, with curry). I have been eating a lot of durum wheat pasta lately for breakfeast. And no lies, i will eat some junk food now and then, but its usually a piece of chocolate, or cereal, or some chips or a cookie or something. I've cut down my junk food a lot lately, although occasionally i will binge. I'm also trying to eat about 4-5 avocados a week.

I do feel better tbh- my face/head is a little smaller, same with my gut and obliques, and i feel a bit faster when walking around- i've heard interval training helps with speed. These aren't huge changes, but i notice it because i check every day.

I just did the Harris-Benedict calculation (insanity uses this too but i found it on a google search) and i'm supposed to be eating 2646 cals per day, with weight loss subtract 500 for 2146 (i usually do 1-3 insanity workouts per week depending on time and energy i have). I think part of my problem is i miscounted calories- for example, i'd have pasta for breakfeast, and i'd count it as 500 when maybe i should have counted it as 800 or 900.

Gona try to stick to consuming 2150 cals a day when not working out, and around 2700 when working out (assuming an average workout burns 550-600 cals)
What you need to do is start getting a better measure for what you eat. Get the calorie counter app on your phone and scan barcodes, and write down the serving size.

Use a food scale, or measuring cup to better understand how much 1/2 cup of ceral really is.

You probably need to stop gheeing up your roti and rice, lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I'm pretty much all jump rope right now, alternating between LSD and HIIT type workouts.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did the deck of cards today. It was way too easy which means I need to re-assign specific exercises to the various suits and make it a bit tougher. It'll probably kill me tomorrow!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I play floor hockey twice a week. It isn't glamorous, but I get a really good workout there. I also vacillate between running, P90X, yoga, pilates, and longer runs. I typically do my running in the fall/winter/spring. Summer, I also play softball, but that doesn't count for much because any calories burned are cancelled out by beer.

When I run, I typically do 5-7 miles at a pop at 8:30-9 minute mile pace. When the DC air gets super swampy, I'm generally limited to 3 miles, maybe 4. Insanity is probably the best cardio in my repertoir without question. I can literally wring sweat out of my clothes when I'm done.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I did the deck of cards today. It was way too easy which means I need to re-assign specific exercises to the various suits and make it a bit tougher. It'll probably kill me tomorrow!
What did you do? The 1st time I put people through it, it generally destroys them. Also, were you doing all face cards as 10 or:

J - 11
Q - 12
K - 13
A - 15
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
What did you do? The 1st time I put people through it, it generally destroys them. Also, were you doing all face cards as 10 or:

J - 11
Q - 12
K - 13
A - 15
I did 10, but I could switch it up to that format. I'm deciding on the next sets of suits so I'll post em here when I'm done and you can critique it. Or you can just give me some to start with and we'll see how I do.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I did 10, but I could switch it up to that format. I'm deciding on the next sets of suits so I'll post em here when I'm done and you can critique it. Or you can just give me some to start with and we'll see how I do.
I find the best outline to be a blend of weights and cardio....something like:

Hearts: Sit-Ups (I do them while holding a 35 lb DB)

Diamonds: Burpees w/ full Push Up

Spades: Double Unders x 2 (ie: 3 of Spades = 6 Double Unders)

Clubs: Military Press (w/ said 35 lb DB)

I throw in substitutes all the time like squats, lunges, snatches, rows, hill climbers, hanging leg raises, etc.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I usually try to run the bike path, go swimming, or play basketball. The basketball court at the gym is usually packed so sometimes that is out of the picture.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might be my favorite fitness video ever. I'm gonna go do a set of goblet squats in my kitchen right now.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This video reminded me of how much I hate LA Fitness, I miss my college gym.

so much equpiment, proper racks, bumper plates, room to move around and do this ****. Machines if broke were fix right away, box for jumping on.

I was looking around my area just for even a standard like garage gym but no luck.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all about the hanging ab workouts, but DAMN the hanging wipers look crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm struggling through my workouts during Ramadan. I can't lift as heavy and I can't do as many sets.

I feel like I have to just try to survive this month without any loss to my development and bounce back once I can get the proper nutrition when I start eating again.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
This video reminded me of how much I hate LA Fitness, I miss my college gym.

so much equpiment, proper racks, bumper plates, room to move around and do this ****. Machines if broke were fix right away, box for jumping on.

I was looking around my area just for even a standard like garage gym but no luck.
I've found LA Fitnesses everywhere have pretty much the same problem. Very cheap on equipment, space not laid out well, no advanced classes, limited schedule. Feels super cheap and not worth it to me. The wife and I actually pay $30 more per person for our current gym in DC. It has tons of equipment and classes from 5-8 AM and 5-9 PM every day + a great weekend schedule. They also have group training (extra money) for things like TRX, Pilates Reformer, and Boot Camp. We are happy with the money vs. other gyms in the area.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm struggling through my workouts during Ramadan. I can't lift as heavy and I can't do as many sets.

I feel like I have to just try to survive this month without any loss to my development and bounce back once I can get the proper nutrition when I start eating again.
I think the lack of water is hurting you the most. Listen to your body and slow down as best you can. You don't want to overdo it and impact the rest of your life. Perhaps switch things up and work on flexibility and core strength instead of pushing the weights quite as much.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I think the lack of water is hurting you the most. Listen to your body and slow down as best you can. You don't want to overdo it and impact the rest of your life. Perhaps switch things up and work on flexibility and core strength instead of pushing the weights quite as much.
That's a good idea. Maybe I should focus on some core and yoga this month.

My core muscles are already pretty strong though. The hard part for me is to get them to show, which is diet related.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
That's a good idea. Maybe I should focus on some core and yoga this month.

My core muscles are already pretty strong though. The hard part for me is to get them to show, which is diet related.
As I mentioned before, Yoga and Pilates are great for core strength and flexibility. If you want your core to really show, do Pilates. A good mix of both will be good for you. It is a totally different kind of strength that adds a great balance to your workout.

Not a lot of "reps", per se, but you have a lot of slow, controlled movements that can push your limits. You just breathe through the discomfort and focus. That is why I recommend going to a studio or gym class. Especially with your back issues, you need a professional to help you modify and keep you safe to start.

I can say that whenever I'm having a bad day or a problem, I go to yoga. I can get away and process while working out my stress. I always feel great at the end.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
As I mentioned before, Yoga and Pilates are great for core strength and flexibility. If you want your core to really show, do Pilates. A good mix of both will be good for you. It is a totally different kind of strength that adds a great balance to your workout.

Not a lot of "reps", per se, but you have a lot of slow, controlled movements that can push your limits. You just breathe through the discomfort and focus. That is why I recommend going to a studio or gym class. Especially with your back issues, you need a professional to help you modify and keep you safe to start.

I can say that whenever I'm having a bad day or a problem, I go to yoga. I can get away and process while working out my stress. I always feel great at the end.
What's your ab routine?

I do weighted crunches, hanging leg raises, and v ups.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have back problems too, very minor but i always have to be a little careful so i dont make them way worse. it does suck though, i hate not being able to squat as much as id like to.

anyway, variety is king with core stuff imo throw in flutter kick, toe touches, bikes, single leg bikes, side crunch, figure eights, leg throws, planks, side planks, leg lifts, y toe touches, i love that kind of stuff love lifting. i think the variety in the core stuff keeps it fun and prevents you from getting bored of the workout.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm doing a 30 Day Plank Challenge this month.

I'm doing it primarily because my mom is big into these 30 day challenges and I wanted something fitness related that I could do with her via text messaging. Anyway, I'm actually kind of enjoying it. In the past I would do a plank a few times a week for a minute or two and I'd call it good, but doing it every single day has definitely been beneficial (I think mentally as much as physically).

I have somewhat severe scoliosis (I slept in a Charleston Brace for two years in high scool), so it was a real life-saver when I discovered things like planks, bodysaws, rollouts, and stomach vacuums. Core training has probably saved me from having to go under the knife.

Last edited by WCH : 07-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
What's your ab routine?

I do weighted crunches, hanging leg raises, and v ups.
60 second low planks, side planks, low plank + bring 1 knee at a time in towards the arm, burpees, 4 count pushups, mountain climbers, 3 angle wheels (ab wheel), slow scissors from my back.

I also hit Ab Ripper X (from P90) on occasion, and I try to do pilates at least once every 10 days. Pilates crushes your core.

For my back, I do a lot of slow/held trunk extensions from the floor. I also do a bow-to-boat- transition, swimmers (Pilates move), and weighted trunk/leg extensions from my stomach (no more than 10 lbs needed for arms and legs).

Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Overall, if you can get the Ab Ripper X and Core Synergistics DVD's from P90 X and work those into your routine, you will be in excellent shape when it comes to core strength. Add in things like yoga and pilates (plus foam roller time for cool down and stretch), and it can make a world of difference.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Is all of that necessary though? I've read that six pack is mostly diet, not exercise. Like as long as you do a good amount of ab exercises the rest comes from dieting?