Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on your goal. My goals are performance-based. I want to be able to play my intramurals, improve my sex life (core is huge there, as well), and do mud races and ropes courses and rock climbing. Looking decent naked is also helpful. I don't have a 6-pack, but I have solid definition. If I went for a fat-shredding diet, I could probably get there. I'm also not interested in huge size. I want natural strength and lean muscle.

No matter what, if your core is strong, you will have more success in any fitness goal. If you have a structural issue with your back, strengthening the muscles and your abs/obliques and upper legs will help with protecting yourself.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
60 second low planks, side planks, low plank + bring 1 knee at a time in towards the arm, burpees, 4 count pushups, mountain climbers, 3 angle wheels (ab wheel), slow scissors from my back.

I also hit Ab Ripper X (from P90) on occasion, and I try to do pilates at least once every 10 days. Pilates crushes your core.

For my back, I do a lot of slow/held trunk extensions from the floor. I also do a bow-to-boat- transition, swimmers (Pilates move), and weighted trunk/leg extensions from my stomach (no more than 10 lbs needed for arms and legs).
Cross body or spiderman (same side)?

Spidermans kill my hip.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't even have the energy to go to the gym last night. I went from working out 4 days a week to averaging 2 workouts a week since fasting started.

:(
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Cross body or spiderman (same side)?

Spidermans kill my hip.
Spiderman. In the low plank, it is impossible to go across while maintaining good form (at least for my 6'2" frame).

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
So i've done 2 insanity and 1 p90x+ workout in the last week. Stay around 2000-2800 cals a day (on the days i workout, subtract roughly 600 or so). I look a little lighter and the shirt i put on friday was actually a little big for me. Yet i see no change in the weight. How come? My workouts have been mostly interval cardio, no weights, a few pushups here and there.
Just a little update since then ^^^, i did a workout the day after but since then nothing. but i've tried hard to cut calories and clean up the diet. i've been eating around 2100 cals a day, once i think i ate 3000 because i had some avacados at the end of the day. but i've already lost 2 pounds. this is the first time i checked my weight in like 3-4 days.

probably water weight, but it feels good to see the scale drop even a tiny bit. no more changes with the mirror/shirts, i guess maybe my weight is catching up to how my body has been reacting to the intense workout?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can only plank for like 60 seconds right now. I gotta build up to 2 minutes. I need to do it next to a mirror though so I know if I'm keeping my legs and back straight. If you're not careful you can start bending.

I'm weighing the same as I did prior to fasting (give or take a pound or 2) but my pants are too big now. I think my waist shrunk a good amount. At least 2 inches.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What the hell is wrong with me. Ever since I got my promotion I haven't gotten up the mental fortitude to go to the gym.

Time to get serious and make sacrifices. I'm sick of this. I'm actually getting a little soft for the first time in my life.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
What the hell is wrong with me. Ever since I got my promotion I haven't gotten up the mental fortitude to go to the gym.

Time to get serious and make sacrifices. I'm sick of this.
I'm hurting too. I only go twice a week since fasting. Used to go 4 times a week.

And I've done no cardio. Or stretching. It's just hard finding time every day when you live a busy lifestyle.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm hurting too. I only go twice a week since fasting. Used to go 4 times a week.

And I've done no cardio. Or stretching. It's just hard finding time every day when you live a busy lifestyle.
Yeah. For a while in the winter I was getting a good 45-60 min of strong cardio in with another 35-45 min of strength training twice a week and then essentially flipping the times another twice a week.

I think my arms and chest are the smallest they've been since freshman year of high school when I was 125. And I think is is the first time you can't see at least an outline of my abs.

I sympathize with you because of your fasting. That's a physical thing that can be incredibly tough to push through. I hate the jelly feeling you can get from working out and fasting at the same time.

For me it's all mental and I am not about to take it easy on myself for that. I need to suck it up.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yeah. For a while in the winter I was getting a good 45-60 min of strong cardio in with another 35-45 min of strength training twice a week and then essentially flipping the times another twice a week.

I think my arms and chest are the smallest they've been since freshman year of high school when I was 125. And I think is is the first time you can't see at least an outline of my abs.

I sympathize with you because of your fasting. That's a physical thing that can be incredibly tough to push through. I hate the jelly feeling you can get from working out and fasting at the same time.

For me it's all mental and I am not about to take it easy on myself for that. I need to suck it up.
It's probably messed up to say, but I use anger as motivation to hit the gym. Maybe you can find something that pisses you off and take that out on some weights? Maybe that will kick start it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
It's probably messed up to say, but I use anger as motivation to hit the gym. Maybe you can find something that pisses you off and take that out on some weights? Maybe that will kick start it.
That works fairly well for me. I've found my anger is satisfied better from hitting something though. Whether that's playing football or going to the batting cages.

I love the feeling of just swinging with absolutely no regard, taking out all my aggression on a bunch of yellow balls flying at me.

To answer your question, it works to get me to the gym. But when I leave the gym I don't feel like the anger is resolved.

I might need to go that route just to get kick started.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
That works fairly well for me. I've found my anger is satisfied better from hitting something though. Whether that's playing football or going to the batting cages.

I love the feeling of just swinging with absolutely no regard, taking out all my aggression on a bunch of yellow balls flying at me.

To answer your question, it works to get me to the gym. But when I leave the gym I don't feel like the anger is resolved.

I might need to go that route just to get kick started.
It never gets resolved. But if you're gonna be angry you might as well use it in some sort of positive way, that's how I look at it. And that pushes you to keep going.

That probably isn't healthy but whatever.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
It never gets resolved. But if you're gonna be angry you might as well use it in some sort of positive way, that's how I look at it. And that pushes you to keep going.

That probably isn't healthy but whatever.
Well I figure the positive effects of going to the gym regularly has to at least negate the negative effects of the anger if not even surpass, right?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Well I figure the positive effects of going to the gym regularly has to at least negate the negative effects of the anger if not even surpass, right?
It should. I hope so at least. But I don't think it will ever go away. It's always gonna be there.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Attempted a new squat max today, 340, but couldn't get out of the hole. I was close. I am going to try again soon, I hit 315 without much of a problem but after fighting for 340 I did not try a lower weight.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Failing at squat is always the worst.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have rubber plates so it's not as bad as with metal plates. But still sucks for sure. I am trying to not let it get in my head.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having to gingerly lower it down on to the pins is just the worst. Bench (assuming a spotter), OHP and DL are just so much easier to bail on.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Having to gingerly lower it down on to the pins is just the worst. Bench (assuming a spotter), OHP and DL are just so much easier to bail on.
you could always drop it and make a ton of noise. then you'll just get stared at by everyone in the gym.

nothing was worse than the time i failed on bench without a spotter. i've been told you're supposed to not clip the weight when you bench with no spot.. that way if you fail you just tilt the bar one way and the weight slides off. well some guy sees me doing that and runs over to spot me and it was just an awful experience
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

This is why I'm afraid to squat. With my back injury, and the potential serious injury you can get from squatting incorrectly, do I want to risk it?

Is it really that much more beneficial to the leg press?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is why I'm afraid to squat. With my back injury, and the potential serious injury you can get from squatting incorrectly, do I want to risk it?

Is it really that much more beneficial to the leg press?
squats engage your entire body, really. leg press is more of a isolated exercise. i do both, one on quads day, one on hamstring day. given that you have back problems there is really no problem with doing leg press instead of squats.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Squats are the single best exercise you can do. There is almost no debating that.

On another note, if you are attempting a PR or max effort bench with no spotter, you're a moron.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
On another note, if you are attempting a PR or max effort bench with no spotter, you're a moron.
no, not a max. i was doing 6 reps and just lost it on 5 or 6.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What if I use the machine that let's you lock the bar (I forgot the name of it), and place a bench underneath it in case I fall I can sit on it. Would that work?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
What if I use the machine that let's you lock the bar (I forgot the name of it), and place a bench underneath it in case I fall I can sit on it. Would that work?
Honestly if I had your back injury I am not sure I'd bother with squatting. Squats are the best, and if you do them with good form they're not dangerous. But it's very hard to self-evaluate squat form. Are you hitting good depth, is your chest up and back straight, are your knees collapsing inward, etc. Hard to know without another person that knows what they're doing helping you. Not necessarily a coach or trainer or anything like that but someone that just knows what to look for. It is very easy to get into bad habits with squats.

If you were to try it, I would suggest working on form first with light weight and try video taping yourself so you can review or even post it on the web for others to critique. I used to visit wbb.com a lot and they do lots of form checks there and on other lifting sites. I definitely would not push it right away to the point that you have to bail. There are ways you can set up a power rack's pins so that if you bail at the bottom the bar doesn't have far to drop, but it's better to add weight once you are confident in your form so you just don't have to bail.

Also if you are referring to a Smith machine definitely don't squat in that. The fixed bar path will **** up your back and/or possibly other parts of your body.

i done stole dis sig