Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
What do you guys recommend as a preworkout? I've just been drinking a whey protein shake before each workout.
That is a good start. Verloren mentioned a few things. I don't respond well to caffeine but I do add dextrose and that seems to make a difference. It's cheap and effective. I slept in this morning, had no time to make a shake, and definitely suffered for it in terms of available energy. It doesn't have to be dextrose, just a carb of some sort. You could throw some fruit into the blender with your whey and make it a smoothie.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Man, ephedra was awesome. I have found everything else really meh and just drink some coffee now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Ephedra was the best. I hate the FDA.
Couple of idiots abused it and now no one can enjoy it

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I used to be big in to supplements, but I'm not sure they ever did much good. They are definitely secondary to things like hard work, consistency, good nutrition, proper rest/recovery, and good form. Buying supplements was for me a kind of instant gratification. It feels good to go buy something that you are convinced is going to help you, but you're throwing money away if you don't have the more important variables in place first.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I used to be big in to supplements, but I'm not sure they ever did much good. They are definitely secondary to things like hard work, consistency, good nutrition, proper rest/recovery, and good form. Buying supplements was for me a kind of instant gratification. It feels good to go buy something that you are convinced is going to help you, but you're throwing money away if you don't have the more important variables in place first.
There are definitely crap supplements out there. That stuff like Jack3d and other "pump" stuff never seemed worth it to me. I've been trying beta alanine and citrulline malate with my creatine and maybe I just haven't been taking it at the right time but I have not noticed much of a benefit. Glad I didn't spend a lot on it.

I think the basics of creatine monohydrate (cheap) and protein (not really a supplement, I consider it part of nutrition) are good enough.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beta Alanine blows. The studies were extremely promising early on, but it has since been debunked.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So anyone got any thoughts or knowledge on weight-loss supplements?
I think most of them are ********.
But I need to lose weight and I've done the usual diet/exercise changes, but results have been slow.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 10-18-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eliminating carbs is the best weight loss supplement.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Eliminating carbs is the best weight loss supplement.
That's what I've been working my way to. Don't think I could just cut it out entirely right away.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I have lost just under 40 lbs since April. That is total body weight loss, I've lost more than that in fat but I have gotten bigger and stronger and the muscle weight offsets the fat loss. My method is pretty simple. I don't eat much processed food at all, I don't overeat unless I'm having a planned cheat meal, I avoid most carbs, don't drink soda, I generally don't eat after 7PM, and I exercise a lot. Weight loss is simple math for the most part until you get down to the final, difficult pounds. I would not bother with weight loss supplements, there is no quick and easy solution. Supposedly caffeine helps but it makes me feel terrible.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Weight loss is, in theory, really ******* easy. People always ask me how to do it:

1. Do keto - No way, I cant give up carbs bc I'm a tool and the AHA says Lucky Charms are good for me.

2. Fine - start a ******* food log and track your calories. Get on the scale every couple day. Is the number going down? Good. Keep doing what you are doing. When the number stops going down, start eating less.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing that helped me lose a lot of weight last year was eating mostly meat and vegetables. Good quality meat and vegetables. Not chicken nuggets and french fries. I remember hearing Ray Lewis tell someone in an interview that a big reason for his longevity was that he only ate fish and vegetables. It's almost impossible to completely eliminate carbs, but the carbs you get from vegetables are just better for, in simple terms. I find that you can eat all the meat and veggies you want. The challenge is beating the cravings for sugar, fried foods, starchy foods, etc.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Competed in a rock climbing comp tonight, did pretty darn well (for me anyway), both my hands are destroyed but that was pretty freaking sweet.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Thanks for the input.
My knees are shot almost completely. So finding good cardio is hard for me.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
What do you guys recommend as a preworkout? I've just been drinking a whey protein shake before each workout.
I tend to stick with the simple stuff & intra. Haven't kept up with the pre-workouts at all because all contain caffeine. The only non-caffeine ones I've used are Omega Sports Nutrition's Ultima and Dymatize Xpand.

Absolutely loved Ultima, even when it was in beta. No caffeine at all.

I've heard good things about Controlled Labs White Flood, Dymatize Xpand, Gaspari SuperPump, BSN NO-Xplode.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Thanks for the input.
My knees are shot almost completely. So finding good cardio is hard for me.
Row machine? Bicycle?

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Row machine is godly. Do it.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I tried something new with my preworkout yesterday. I usually just have a protein shake using skim milk. This time I mixed some tea in there to get caffeine.

I don't think it made a difference haha. But it went down easier.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow nice tip DG, I just recently aggravated an old hip flexor injury and have been really struggling on runs, but have an old rowing machine in storage. Will go get it today.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rowing machines are amazing workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Losing weight once you hit that plateau is not easy. I bust ass in the gym and am on a keto deficit and have had scarce success shedding my abdomonal fat. Meanwhile my arms have vains popping out at the gym.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Losing weight once you hit that plateau is not easy. I bust ass in the gym and am on a keto deficit and have had scarce success shedding my abdomonal fat. Meanwhile my arms have vains popping out at the gym.
Intermittent fasting (still keto) for a week or 2 would likely do the trick.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I started squatting 2 months ago. I started incredibly light. First week was just body squats. Then I did weighted dumbbell squats. Then I started doing barbell squats, and I started light, only 95 lbs my first time.

Now I'm 2 months in and I'm up to 190 lbs. 5 sets of 5. I know that's not a lot but keep in mind I'm not the biggest guy in the world. And I'm trying not to push too hard and mess up my back.

I'm up to 168 lbs now. Went from a 34 waist to 32 waist. So far so good. Just gotta keep working and hoping to keep the pace.

I know lifting is a marathon not a sprint, so I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over not getting major gains yet. I expect that if I keep going at my pace maybe in 4 months I'll start seeing some legitimate results.

My planks are getting better. I can hold my plank for 90 seconds, sometimes 100 seconds.

My side planks are still terrible. Only 30 seconds each side. Gotta build that up.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Dude. 95 to 190 is a major gain. That's awesome. Don't feel bad about that. It is a huge accomplishment. Own it. And keep lifting.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

If you're doing 5 sets of 5 reps at 195 using good form, while going as deep as you safely can, you're doing quite well. Many people can't even do bw squats properly.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I might go back down to 175 or 180 lbs to be honest bc my last set at 190 had poor form and I didn't go deep enough. I'm considering going lighter for a week or 2 while getting my form in order before I come back around to 190 lbs.

When I say I squat 190, I build up to that. Meaning the 1st set is like 175. Then set 2 is 180. Then set 3 is 185. Then sets 4 and 5 are 190. I add 5 lbs per set until I get to 190 on the last set.

And I've been going heavier each leg day. So after I hit 190 I'll aim for 195 the next leg day etc.

But bc I felt my form has dropped off, I think I'm better off going a little lighter on Friday and just getting my form back in order.

What you guys think?