Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should really be benching right now but I'm just not feeling it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I have ITBS, any suggestions on a foam roller to start with? Anyone else had ITBS and fixed it relatively quickly?

Also, not sure if it would be ITBS, or runner's knee, or something else. I ran 10 miles and then started getting this knee pain. It went away a bit and then I ran another 10 miles and it's back. Sometimes my knee will make a pop sound when walking. I am still able to run but it gets uncomfortable and is really just nagging me. I want to run a marathon but can't run more than a couple miles before I start to feel like I am going to make it worse.

Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 : 03-06-2014 at 09:14 PM.
dolphinfan2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
I think I have ITBS, any suggestions on a foam roller to start with? Anyone else had ITBS and fixed it relatively quickly?

Also, not sure if it would be ITBS, or runner's knee, or something else. I ran 10 miles and then started getting this knee pain. It went away a bit and then I ran another 10 miles and it's back. Sometimes my knee will make a pop sound when walking. I am still able to run but it gets uncomfortable and is really just nagging me. I want to run a marathon but can't run more than a couple miles before I start to feel like I am going to make it worse.
Following the stretches in a link someone else posted is a starter.

Either way, I suggest getting a foam roller. Opt for the harder ones, or the Grid 2.0. Another option is the Ultimate 6 by TPT. It will hurt. A cheaper option than a foam roller (and a lot more painful) is a baseball or lacrosse ball.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, what do you guys do when you have **** eating days? Just chalk it up to a bad day, or is there some strange positive scientific benefit to eating way over your normal caloric limit?

I normally eat at or under my limit save for once or twice a month. Pizza ends up killing it for me. I went over by around 2,000 calories today.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
So, what do you guys do when you have **** eating days? Just chalk it up to a bad day, or is there some strange positive scientific benefit to eating way over your normal caloric limit?

I normally eat at or under my limit save for once or twice a month. Pizza ends up killing it for me. I went over by around 2,000 calories today.
I eat what I want, when I want. Still got my awesome metabolism. Can't wait till it stops and I get American-fat.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I eat absolutely terrible for months and then cut until i am comfortable again. When cutting down i try to do a cheat day every other week.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its add muscle season still, so who cares. Eat two or three cinnamon buns.... Homemade of course. I'll probably monitor my calories closer around late April. Then adjust in mid May to burn fat.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just eating whatever the **** I want til my birthday at the end of March. Then it's time to cut carbs and stop snacking in the evenings.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got after my chest, and my abs today...I just sneezed and I thought I was going to cry.

Thats a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So an update on my end:

As odd as it sounds, I'm squatting more weight on the squat rack than the Smith. And I think I understand why. In the Smith, your quads and hammys are lifting the entire load. You're not using any secondary back or ab muscles. It's all quads and hammys. When you squat with the squat rack, I feel like I'm also using back and ab muscles along with my quads and hamstrings, so the entire load is spread throughout more muscle groups. And because of that, I was actually able to 10 lbs more on the squat rack.

Granted, I'm only 1 week in, but I do find that interesting. Also, my leg muscles aren't as sore the next day as they were when I used the Smith. Which makes me think that maybe next time I can go even heavier.

And this new gym is soooooooo much better than my old one. I feel like I cheated myself by taking so long to switch. The difference in quality is worth the 20 minute drive.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
So an update on my end:

As odd as it sounds, I'm squatting more weight on the squat rack than the Smith. And I think I understand why. In the Smith, your quads and hammys are lifting the entire load. You're not using any secondary back or ab muscles. It's all quads and hammys. When you squat with the squat rack, I feel like I'm also using back and ab muscles along with my quads and hamstrings, so the entire load is spread throughout more muscle groups. And because of that, I was actually able to 10 lbs more on the squat rack.

Granted, I'm only 1 week in, but I do find that interesting. Also, my leg muscles aren't as sore the next day as they were when I used the Smith. Which makes me think that maybe next time I can go even heavier.

And this new gym is soooooooo much better than my old one. I feel like I cheated myself by taking so long to switch. The difference in quality is worth the 20 minute drive.
Good job switching the gym. I suppose it is possible you are squatting more, but be careful that you are not sacrificing form. A lot of people who are new to squatting think they are hitting parallel, but in reality are not even close. It is a lot easier to get to parallel in a smith where you aren't tasked with controlling the weight. It may be worth taking a video of one of your sets to ensure you are hitting proper depth.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Good job switching the gym. I suppose it is possible you are squatting more, but be careful that you are not sacrificing form. A lot of people who are new to squatting think they are hitting parallel, but in reality are not even close. It is a lot easier to get to parallel in a smith where you aren't tasked with controlling the weight. It may be worth taking a video of one of your sets to ensure you are hitting proper depth.
This is a great point, I feel like I'm not using proper form. I practiced with just the bar the first time to get a feel for form and where I need to place my feet, but I feel like I'm not getting enough burn in my legs, and I caught myself not pushing off entirely off my heels for a couple of reps. So I definitely need to work on my form.

I don't know if I'm hitting parallel either. I feel like some reps I'm using more back than legs, so I'm probably not.

In the Smith I knew exactly where to align my feet but with the squat rack, I haven't figured it out yet. I feel like using proper form is a lot harder on the squat rack and it's gonna take more practice for me to hit the sweet spot. Maybe I should go lighter for the next couple of weeks until I master my form then I can go back to going heavy?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I also noticed it's a lot harder getting as low as possible using the squat rack bc you have to balance the weight. I may have done a couple of half reps as a result.

I think it's gonna take a couple of weeks for me to perfect my form.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is a great point, I feel like I'm not using proper form. I practiced with just the bar the first time to get a feel for form and where I need to place my feet, but I feel like I'm not getting enough burn in my legs, and I caught myself not pushing off entirely off my heels for a couple of reps. So I definitely need to work on my form.

I don't know if I'm hitting parallel either. I feel like some reps I'm using more back than legs, so I'm probably not.

In the Smith I knew exactly where to align my feet but with the squat rack, I haven't figured it out yet. I feel like using proper form is a lot harder on the squat rack and it's gonna take more practice for me to hit the sweet spot. Maybe I should go lighter for the next couple of weeks until I master my form then I can go back to going heavy?
I wouldn't go too light. Squatting with ultra low weights makes performing a proper squat more difficult for me.

The bolded suggests a major issue though. I am guessing that you are squatting high bar and the weight is too much, causing you to slump forward at the bottom of the squat and then integrate a really ****** good morning into the motion to get the weight up. That's very bad.

There was a really good series on squat form that I can look for when I get home from work.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I wouldn't go too light. Squatting with ultra low weights makes performing a proper squat more difficult for me.

The bolded suggests a major issue though. I am guessing that you are squatting high bar and the weight is too much, causing you to slump forward at the bottom of the squat and then integrate a really ****** good morning into the motion to get the weight up. That's very bad.

There was a really good series on squat form that I can look for when I get home from work.
Hmm. I don't know. I think I need to record myself to see what I'm doing. I think you're right though I may be slumping forward at the bottom of the squat to try to help balance the weight.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was obvious that the gym upgrade was worth the drive. Should have listened earlier.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Hmm. I don't know. I think I need to record myself to see what I'm doing. I think you're right though I may be slumping forward at the bottom of the squat to try to help balance the weight.
With regards to your back, you should straight up not be using it that much outside of some lower back on heavier weights. If you are not feeling the vast majority of the strain in your quads, hips and glutes, something is wrong.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
With regards to your back, you should straight up not be using it that much outside of some lower back on heavier weights. If you are not feeling the vast majority of the strain in your quads, hips and glutes, something is wrong.
I felt the majority of the push off was using the hips quads and glutes, but I also felt like my back muscles were also being strained. Lower and mid. So I think I'm using poor form like you said.

I didn't feel like the back muscles were used in a major way, but I did feel like they were being recruited during the push off.

It's kinda hard to explain. I'm probably using poor form though.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I felt the majority of the push off was using the hips quads and glutes, but I also felt like my back muscles were also being strained. Lower and mid. So I think I'm using poor form like you said.

I didn't feel like the back muscles were used in a major way, but I did feel like they were being recruited during the push off.

It's kinda hard to explain. I'm probably using poor form though.
You're probably rocking forward at the bottom. It's a common problem, especially on high bar squats. Low bar allows you to lean forward a bit more without endangering your lower back and is generally the superior option imo.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What does low bar mean? Is it the far right picture and high bar is the middle picture?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
What does low bar mean? Is it the far right picture and high bar is the middle picture?
Bingo. Bar sits lower on your back.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Bingo. Bar sits lower on your back.
Yeah I'm high barring but I feel like my body is doing the low bar movement. How do you balance the bar on low bar? Do you have to lean forward a little when you're standing?

*googles*
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My calves are inflamed right now. Hurts so ******* much.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Yeah I'm high barring but I feel like my body is doing the low bar movement. How do you balance the bar on low bar? Do you have to lean forward a little when you're standing?

*googles*
Yeah. You lean forward a little more on low bar. It is definitely easier to balance and heck of a lot more comfortable for me overall.

If you lean forward on high bar, it results in that scenario I described which bring your lower back into play.