Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exciting times fellas! Exciting times. I feel like I'm starting all over again and I can't wait to go back.

Hopefully I don't burn out like I usually do and can stay consistent. I usually go hard for like 3 months then stop cold turkey for like 2 then get back etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats on the new gym bbd. It's a whole new world for you.

On squats, think about a few CUES (gosh) for positioning. Don't look down, keep your chest up, drive knees outward on the way back up. Lots of people say keep your head neutral but I personally do look upward. Think about keeping your back at the same angle throughout the movement. Do you pinch your shoulder blades together? It bunches up your traps and makes a little pillow for the bar to rest on.

Enjoy the freedom to do what you actually want to do in your workouts.

i done stole dis sig

Last edited by killxswitch : 03-11-2014 at 12:48 PM.
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stood really close to Rich Froning as he did the winning submission for CF Open 14.2 on Friday. It looked quite painful. If he had finished his last pullup 1 second earlier, he would have been able to add to his score.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Congrats on the new gym bbd. It's a whole new world for you.

On squats, think about a few queues for positioning. Don't look down, keep your chest up, drive knees outward on the way back up. Lots of people say keep your head neutral but I personally do look upward. Think about keeping your back at the same angle throughout the movement. Do you pinch your shoulder blades together? It bunches up your traps and makes a little pillow for the bar to rest on.

Enjoy the freedom to do what you actually want to do in your workouts.
I really feel like I can do whatever exercise I want now. Front squats, regular squats, power cleans, they really have a nice facility and lots of trainers and spotters who are willing to help. Just feels like an entirely new experience for me.

I'm definitely going to concentrate on form on Thursday and take all these tips into account.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think I tweaked my back deadlifting yesterday. I have to keep working on my technique with my deads and squats. Still have a lot of work to do.

Can't bend over to put on socks or tie my shoes today.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ouch. Yeah you have to be careful about your back angle on DL. Takes a strong core to move big weight.

Did 5 sets of 3 @315 on DL this morning. Nothing major but that is a bit more volume than I am used to. I thought my hands were going to tear for sure on my last set.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Ouch. Yeah you have to be careful about your back angle on DL. Takes a strong core to move big weight.

Did 5 sets of 3 @315 on DL this morning. Nothing major but that is a bit more volume than I am used to. I thought my hands were going to tear for sure on my last set.
Do you reset after each rep (static) or do you do a full 5 reps back to back?

I was reading up on technique today and they recommend you either wear wrestling shoes or go barefoot, and they say static reps are more effective.

I didn't pop my hips out and I think I rounded my back on a couple of reps, and that's what did me in.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Also kill, you're right about gripping the bar. Even though you lift less weight, I feel like you improve your grip strength and forearms a lot more when you don't use over/under.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Also kill, you're right about gripping the bar. Even though you lift less weight, I feel like you improve your grip strength and forearms a lot more when you don't use over/under.
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/

and look up rippetoe tech for deadlift and squats. I posted a video i think on the last page.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Do you reset after each rep (static) or do you do a full 5 reps back to back?

I was reading up on technique today and they recommend you either wear wrestling shoes or go barefoot, and they say static reps are more effective.

I didn't pop my hips out and I think I rounded my back on a couple of reps, and that's what did me in.
I was going for speed pulls so I dropped at the top each rep. I think there is a place for touch-and-go reps but keeping all muscles engaged definitely tires me out a lot faster.

And yes I like to DL barefoot.

Quote:
It's definitely good for grip strength. You just lose a lot of overall pulling power, or at least I do, gripping the bar like that. Mixed grip means my hands are not the earliest point of failure. So doing warm-ups with overhand grip and then switching to mixed for work sets seems like a good method.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I was going for speed pulls so I dropped at the top each rep. I think there is a place for touch-and-go reps but keeping all muscles engaged definitely tires me out a lot faster.

And yes I like to DL barefoot.

It's definitely good for grip strength. You just lose a lot of overall pulling power, or at least I do, gripping the bar like that. Mixed grip means my hands are not the earliest point of failure. So doing warm-ups with overhand grip and then switching to mixed for work sets seems like a good method.
I think the hard part for me is coming down with the weight. Going up I'm good, coming down is where my body has to get used to the technique, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/

and look up rippetoe tech for deadlift and squats. I posted a video i think on the last page.
Reading that article, I did a couple of things wrong. I'll correct it the next go around.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm getting tone, but I'm not bulking my arms as fast as I'd like :(

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Do you want to get bigger than that though? Looks fine to me, getting tone at that size is probably better honestly.

Pause*
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to get a little bigger, I don't want to be a big bulky guy but I'd like to gain some more mass, yes.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My motivation has been sapped since i met my girl in november.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
My motivation has been sapped since i met my girl in november.
Get her to go workout with you!

My girlfriend and I workout together almost every day at the gym.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We do sometimes and i still workout 4-5 times a week. It's more my diet.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Oh yeah, that's difficult no matter what. We get on health kicks, like right now. But then, all it takes is one day of indulging for that to go to hell.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I've been on a pretty strict meat and vegetables diet the past week and a half. So far I'm chugging along fine. Slow cookers are a life saver.

I need to eat more fish and less beef though.

And I indulge in coffee too much but I know I can never give that up so I won't pretend or even attempt to try. It won't happen. Everyone's gotta know their limits.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
I've been on a pretty strict meat and vegetables diet the past week and a half. So far I'm chugging along fine. Slow cookers are a life saver.

I need to eat more fish and less beef though.

And I indulge in coffee too much but I know I can never give that up so I won't pretend or even attempt to try. It won't happen. Everyone's gotta know their limits.
Do you set your weekly eating schedule or just wing it every night?

Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
Do you set your weekly eating schedule or just wing it every night?
Totally winging it. I'm not counting calories or anything. I'm just trying to avoid sugars, drink just water, and avoid carbs as much as possible, which is basically leading me to eat meats and vegetables almost every meal.

I know it's not the right way to do it, but it's better than nothing and honestly it's been working in keeping my fluff levels low.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Every time I try to do that.. it leads me back to Tuna Helper or Hamburger Helper, haha.

Quite frankly our grill has been covered in snow all winter so we couldn't grill as much. Now that it's clearing up, I'm DEFINITELY going to be grilling a lot more steak, chicken and seafood.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
Every time I try to do that.. it leads me back to Tuna Helper or Hamburger Helper, haha.

Quite frankly our grill has been covered in snow all winter so we couldn't grill as much. Now that it's clearing up, I'm DEFINITELY going to be grilling a lot more steak, chicken and seafood.
Get a slow cooker bro. It's the best investment you can make. Just throw some meat and vegetables in there and let it cook. Put some spices etc for flavor. Keep the salt to a minimum.

I don't cook as much as I should, but when I do, I use the slow cooker. The Foreman grill still has it's use too honestly, just get some chicken or fish and grill it, and make a salad.

What I do for times when I buy things to eat, I'll try my best to eat something that's meaty and just not eat the bread that comes with it.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm honestly surprised that you got that cut without watching your diet. That's impressive.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I actually just won a 3-crock pot slow cooker at a recent Breast Cancer Bowling Tournament, first raffle I've won something. Haha. I do need to start doing that.. or just making meals for the week ahead of time.