Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what's a max effort rep?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
what's a max effort rep?
Like, a one rep max. Or even a rep at the end of a set where it takes all of the available strength you have left to get the weight up. If you aren't used to exploding as hard as possible, it is really tough to turn it on and off.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Like, a one rep max. Or even a rep at the end of a set where it takes all of the available strength you have left to get the weight up. If you aren't used to exploding as hard as possible, it is really tough to turn it on and off.
I don't think I've ever done that. I've always gone slow during reps, for every exercise. I thought you got more out of each rep by doing that?

It's gonna be hard to reprogram myself to go fast. Doesn't your technique slip up a little when you explode?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't think I've ever done that. I've always gone slow during reps, for every exercise. I thought you got more out of each rep by doing that?

It's gonna be hard to reprogram myself to go fast. Doesn't your technique slip up a little when you explode?
Going slow is not smart at all. You want to be explosive.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

That said, if you are doing challenging weights - which you should be - your reps are going to be far from fast.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I guess I'm not going slow. But I'm not going fast either. I don't feel like I'm exploding at least. I don't know it's hard to explain.

I'm definitely not going fast. I've seen people do 5 reps of squats in like 6 or 7 seconds.

I'll do 5 reps in probably 10 to 12? I never timed it.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Go down in a controlled manner and then explode out of the hole. That's all the guidance I can really give. Don't get caught up on time. Really heavy sets of 3 would sometime take me a while to complete because I had to pause to get my breath right while standing.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is true of any movement. The eccentric phase should be slow/controlled and the concentric phase should be explosive while still in-control.

This is why in Westside programming (which is a well-regarded powerlifting philosophy) there are max effort days and dynamic effort days. On DE days you work on speed with lower weights, which helps on ME days when the weights are heavier.

On bench, let the weight down slowly and explode up. On DL, explode from the ground but come back down in a controlled manner. On squat, ease the weight downward and then explode up with power and speed.

It is best to practice this with sub-maximal weights. When things get heavy you might be trying to explode, but only move slowly. Because it's heavy.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Today will be my first day working out since last Thursday :(

Eric Church - Homeboy
http://youtu.be/wx-dUsh6OT8
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Go down in a controlled manner and then explode out of the hole. That's all the guidance I can really give. Don't get caught up on time. Really heavy sets of 3 would sometime take me a while to complete because I had to pause to get my breath right while standing.
Thats all that needs to be said about weight lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eating these peanut butter M&M's is OK right? I mean, Peanut Butter = Protein

Eric Church - Homeboy
Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
Eating these peanut butter M&M's is OK right? I mean, Peanut Butter = Protein
I believe this is accurate, yes.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-31-2014, 03:38 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

In other news I am cutting some fat which means I'm back to lowish carb eating. Dropped about 3.5 lbs. this week, hoping to get back down to about 200 before June.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This rough rigid and dense 2.0 is working pretty well so far for me. I am in the gym less than 45 minutes, am sore the next day, and feel like if anything I am getting stronger despite dropping 10 pounds thus far, albeit a good bit of water (not doing keto atm though so carbs via oatmeal are still in play).

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got him on bench.

Just kidding, that is ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I've been hitting the traps hard and I'm EXTREMELY stoked on how well they're coming in.

Eric Church - Homeboy
Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
I've been hitting the traps hard and I'm EXTREMELY stoked on how well they're coming in.
What exercises have you been doing for them? Traps, and shoulders in general, have always been the weakest points of my workouts.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:42 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I've noticed my traps are getting bigger too. I've been doing deadlifts, power cleans, clean-and-jerks, etc.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyJob View Post
What exercises have you been doing for them? Traps, and shoulders in general, have always been the weakest points of my workouts.
I've just been doing shrugs a lot more, I do 4 sets of 12.. I shrug up and then slowly relax my shoulders again using the resistance of the weight.

I also do seated shoulder press using the SMITH machine.. except I place the seat a little in front of the bar, so therefore when I bring the bar/weight down it's right behind my neck, and explode upward.

Eric Church - Homeboy
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My elbows are fully healed. It's perfect running weather here now. I have a functioning car again to drive me places. TIME TO GET ****** RIPPED.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Get it, bruh!

Eric Church - Homeboy
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

My strength is flying up... feels good that I am getting it back quick after slacking so much

Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
My strength is flying up... feels good that I am getting it back quick after slacking so much
It's pretty crazy how much better you feel.. it truly is. Energy, Stamina, etc..

Eric Church - Homeboy
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

So.... been trying to improve my explosiveness/vert. Was doing high box jumps today and paid the price on each of my shins.