Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Are you progressing on your lifts or just having a weight you're comfortable with and doing it week in and week out?
The thing is i'm not really getting stronger so I can't really do more weight.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
That's the thing, I eat pretty damn well. I eat plenty of lean meats, complex carbs, and tons of fruits and vegetables, and I don't drink or eat sweats very much at all either. It really makes no sense to me why i'm not getting results and that is why i'm curious. Does only doing 6-8 reps matter? It didn't matter before when I was getting results which makes no sense.
If your diet is as good as you say and you're getting an adequate amount of sleep, your body may have simply acclimated to your regimen. Try some different exercises, orders in which they are performed, recovery periods, etc. and continue to mix up your workouts. It is straight foolish to do the same thing over and over again and to continually expect results.

The best thing to do, if you are serious about lifting and putting on bulk, would be to find you 1RM for as many exercises as you can and simply tailor your lifts around those calculated 1RMs (eg, 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps at 70% of your 1RM). This will enable you to really dial in on and get the most out of your lifts.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eat more.

Beyond that, I'll just toss out some generally obvious advice because I don't really know that much about you based on anything you've said. Your routine doesn't give you much time for recovery, which might affect your ability to increase your lifts. If you've been doing that every week for months now without a break, taking a week off would help, a lot of the time you'll come back and be able to put up more weight (like 5-10lbs) right away.

You could be doing too much at the gym (which goes into the rest issue). Assuming you aren't really really new to lifting, unless you're spending 2+ hours at the gym you probably aren't helping yourself that much after your first few sets of lifts. If you're only there for like 45-60 minutes your later exercises are probably not going to be that great, and if they aren't you either have incredible recovery, or you're probably not doing enough on your early lifts because you're thinking "I don't want to be burnt out for when I do those cable flies or leg presses in 20 minutes." Basically, just spend more time at the gym and take more rest between sets, 5 minutes between sets of squats or deadlifts really isn't a problem.

Other than that, my only other bits of advice would be to always have a spotter to help you put up that last rep that you otherwise wouldn't have done. Add those tiny ass 2.5 pound plates to your lifts; don't think that you need to throw on a 10 or a 25 pound plate on for a lift to truly be increased. For machines, just toss a small dumbbell ontop of the stack since most increase the weight by increments of 10-15 pounds.

Pretty general and obvious advice, but it might help.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks, I will try all of those things. Appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CDCB, eat more for sure. That is likely the cause of a stall. If that doesn't work, try a deload week while still keeping the calories up. If that doesn't work, change the routine.....instead of doing more reps, I recommend less (3-5). If that doesnt work, do GOMAD. If that doesn't work, you are likely incredibly experienced and need to identify weak point in your main lifts and fine tune your assistance. If that doesnt work, you have reached your genetic potential, so take roids.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
CDCB, eat more for sure. That is likely the cause of a stall. If that doesn't work, try a deload week while still keeping the calories up. If that doesn't work, change the routine.....instead of doing more reps, I recommend less (3-5). If that doesnt work, do GOMAD. If that doesn't work, you are likely incredibly experienced and need to identify weak point in your main lifts and fine tune your assistance. If that doesnt work, you have reached your genetic potential, so take roids.
Thanks. Just did some research on GOMAD... is it really that effective? I might have to try that lol.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Need high protein meals that I can eat when I get home from lifting. I don't do protein shakes. I usually have 3 fried eggs, bacon, whole wheat toast with cream cheese and my vitamins. I'm getting sick of the same thing.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's what I had today:

Pre Workout: Pure Protein Bar
Post: Overnight Oats (1 package Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, 4 oz skim milk, ~4 oz Chobani Non Fat Yogurt, 2 scoops Trutein)

Lunch: Large Wendy's Chili

Dinner: ~9 oz Roasted Chicken, ~9 oz Fried Pork

Tonight: 130 Calorie Snack Pack, Protein Shake

Should have me at right around 2,600, a 20% deficit from my maintenance of about 3,250. It was glorious to have carbs back (lifted). It sucked not eating mid day, but the 1200 calorie dinner was worth the wait.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
Need high protein meals that I can eat when I get home from lifting. I don't do protein shakes. I usually have 3 fried eggs, bacon, whole wheat toast with cream cheese and my vitamins. I'm getting sick of the same thing.

You don't "do" protein shakes? The **** is that?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate GOMAD by the way. Its just a really really easy way of balancing your macro nutrients.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
I hate GOMAD by the way. Its just a really really easy way of balancing your macro nutrients.
It's just easy and a cheap, good short term way to bulk. It's quick and dirty, but tremendously effective. What's not to like?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What kind of supplements would you all recommend for high cardio stuff? I need to shed some pounds, but cardio has always been my achille's heel. Something that will help with the workout and also aid in not totally feeling like ass the next day.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
What kind of supplements would you all recommend for high cardio stuff? I need to shed some pounds, but cardio has always been my achille's heel. Something that will help with the workout and also aid in not totally feeling like ass the next day.
Eh....some kind of caffeine mixture could help the workout slightly. Protein/BCAAs will help with muscle recovery. That said though, nothing can replace a good nights sleep in terms of performing well/recovering. Also, you are probably eating a deficit, so your muscles are going to have a tough time recovering in general. Just gut it out and it will get better as your cardio gets better.

Also, cut back drinking.....THAT is probably your true achilles heel. Nobody wants to do cardio whilst hungover.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks buddy. I wasn't that far off in what i figured myself, but yeah, the drinking will prove most difficult.

With that said, how do you all feel about fat burners, or "stacks" or whatever the hell they're called. I know a lot of fitness geeks and a lot of them use that for their cardio. I know you all are way more knowledgeable in this than i am, so i'd appreciate the input.

Rob, i'll rep you again once i can.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I wasn't that far off in what i figured myself, but yeah, the drinking will prove most difficult.

With that said, how do you all feel about fat burners, or "stacks" or whatever the hell they're called. I know a lot of fitness geeks and a lot of them use that for their cardio. I know you all are way more knowledgeable in this than i am, so i'd appreciate the input.

I'll be waiting for that rep lol.

Seriously though, fat burners are alright I guess. The caffeine is usually the best ingredient in them though and caffeine pills are damn cheap. They really aren't worth the money imo.

You can easily and cheaply make your own, try something like 200 mg caffeine with 300 mg EGCG. Go up or down depending on your caffeine tolerance.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:

Like a pre workout energy supplement?

Quote:

Stacks are all good bro. If I had the cash to spare, (and I was dedicated to my diet, no cheating you ****), I'd stack Lean Xtreme and Cellucor Super HD.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I've never been impressed with stacks.

My diet for today:

8 Eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 lb 75/25 ground beef
4 strips bacon
50 g protein shake (0 carb)
1 oz almonds
A ******** of coffee w/ heavy cream

Last edited by Rob S : 04-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Like a pre workout energy supplement?

Stacks are all good bro. If I had the cash to spare, (and I was dedicated to my diet, no cheating you ****), I'd stack Lean Xtreme and Cellucor Super HD.

Yes.

Are they normally pricey?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Don't buy a stack. Do this: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/re...ormula-382882/
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

I also hate everyone in the world who isn't allergic to tree nuts. I developed an allergy to them in my ******* 20s after eating the **** out of cashews and almonds all my life and now I can't eat any nuts. Thank **** that peanuts are legumes.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
I also hate everyone in the world who isn't allergic to tree nuts. I developed an allergy to them in my ******* 20s after eating the **** out of cashews and almonds all my life and now I can't eat any nuts. Thank **** that peanuts are legumes.
Wow. That really sucks. I feel for you.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

You can eat deez nuts.

I'm sorry, the 12 year old in me could NOT let that go.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You can eat deez nuts.

I'm sorry, the 12 year old in me could NOT let that go.
You're too small to be mistaken for a tree so they would not kill me
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are they normally pricey?
Depends on how much you complex you want it to be.

I've seen people use something as simple as ECA, one of those ready made ones, or hormonal modulators to a fat burner+cortisol modulator+anti-aromatase+antioxidant.

@Bharaat
I tend to prefer cardio over kitchen work because it's really hard for me to get 4-5 solid meals a day.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had really good experiences with OxyElite Pro. Gives you the boost of energy, and really seems to help with shedding weight/slimming down.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote