Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Most talented college football teams with SOPH, JR and SR talent.

Looking at the best collective teams with top SOPH, JR and SR talent coming into next season. Here are my top 10, no mind you I probably left a few players out but the ones I included are players that stood out last year. I did not include any incoming freshman that could be impact players next season.

1)
USC: Sure the quarterback position is inexperienced but they have arguably the best receiving core in the nation, one of the best offensive lines in the nation and possibly the best defensive backfield in the nation, let us not even start with their core of running backs. Linebacker will take time but they have great young players at that position and the defensive line will have to rebuild a little as well.
QB Mustain, Crop,
RB S. Johnson, McKnight, Gable, Tyler, Havili, Bradford
WR R. Johnson, D. Williams, Ausberry
TE McCoy, Ayles
OL Brown, Lewis, O’Dowd, T. Smith, Kalil, Byers
DL Griffen, Tupou
LB Morgan, Galippo
CB Wright, Thomas, Pinkard
S Mays, Harris

2)
Oklahoma: Loaded at key offensive positions like QB, RB and TE however the offensive line will really be different this year and the receivers are not really deep either. On defense that defensive line is probably the best and the linebackers are damn good as well. At corner they are solid but will have to fill holes at safety.
QB Bradford
RB Murray, Brown
WR Broyles
TE Gresham, Eldridge
OL T. Williams
DL Granger, McCoy, English, Taylor, Beal, Alexander
LB Reynolds, Box, Lewis, Clayton
CB Jackson, Franks, Holmes
S

3)
Florida: The best group of defensive players by far, stacked at linebacker and the entire secondary is very good as well as the defensive line. They should flat out dominate. On offense they have holes to fill but still have solid running backs and potential playmaking receivers but they will have to grow up a lot and get better. On the offensive line they will need more than just the Pouncey boys that is for sure.
QB Tebow
RB Demps, Rainey, Moody, James
WR Cooper, D Thompson
TE Hernandez
OL Pouncey, Pouncey
DL Dunlap, Cunningham, Sanders
LB Spikes, Stamper, Hicks, Doe
CB Haden, Jenkins
S Black, Wright, Munroe

4)
Texas: Have arguably the two best safeties on any one team in Gideon and Thomas, they are flanked by two very good corners. The defensive line is weak outside of Kindle however, they lost a lot and the linebackers are not real great. On the offensive line they have some players but not many. At RB and WR they have the most depth, some real good young receivers potentially and even at quarterback they have a lot of quality players.
QB McCoy, Chiles
RB Whittaker, C. Johnson, McGee
WR Shipley, M. Williams, Buckner
TE
OL Ulatoski, Allen
DL Kindle
LB Muckelroy, Norton
CB Beasley, C. Brown
S Thomas, Gideon

5)
LSU: Very talented in the offensive line and have two potential stars there. The receivers are talented and LaFell should be an absolute monster this season. At quarterback they will have to improve but they have experience there and at running back they are loaded again. On defense the linebackers are inexperienced but they have a solid secondary with talented players. On the defensive line they have some real nice prospects as well.
QB Lee, Hatch
RB Scott, Williams, Holliday
WR LaFell, Toliver, Mitchell
TE Dickson
OL Black, Barksdale
DL Alem, Woods, Nevis
LB Sheppard
CB Hawkins, Eugene
S C. Jones Coleman

6)
Ohio State: Clearly Pryor is an elite talent but he will need the offensive players around him develop. Saine and Herron are two talented backs but have to prove they can produce. Small has talent but has never lived up to it and they have good young players on the offensive line. The defensive line might be the best strength of the team, a lot of big guys on that front, all they have to do is all stay healthy. At linebacker Homan will carry them and should have a fine year. They have nice young safeties with talent and Chekwa at corner could be a real star.
QB Pryor
RB Saine, Herron
WR Small, Sanzenbacher
TE Ballard
OL Brewster, Browning
DL Gibson, Heyward, Wilson, Worthington, Rose
LB Homan, Moeller
CB Chekwa
S Hines, Coleman, Russell

7)
Miami FL: A very talented team defensively, a lot of athletic quick defensive lineman, especially Moncur and Robinson. At linebacker they have a lot of real talent, leading the way for that group is Spence. In the defensive backfield they are solid as well with potential stars in Harris and Nicolas. On offense they have playmakers in Johnson and Cooper but a lot will depend on Harris’s development at quarterback.
QB Harris
RB Cooper, James
WR A. Johnson, Benjamin
TE Epps
OL Fox, Franklin
DL Moncur Bailey, M. Robinson, Forston,
LB Spence, McCarthy, Sharpton, A. Brown
CB B. Harris, Grant, Van Dyke,
S Nicolas, Phillips

8)
Notre Dame: Very talented offensive team, real good players at the receiving positions, outstanding weapons there. They have good running backs as well who just need to produce and Clausen should continue his solid development. On defensive the front and linebackers have a lot to prove but the defensive backfield is solid as can be. Potential stars of that group could be Blanton and Smith.
QB Clausen
RB Allen, Hughes, Aldrige
WR Floyd, G. Tate, Grimes, Parrish, Kamara
TE Rudolph
OL Young, Olsen
DL
LB
CB Gray, Blanton, Walls
S H. Smith. McCarthy

9)
Alabama: They have outstanding defensive backs and two of the best corners around in Arenas and Jackson, then you have Woodall who is a beast at safety. The linebackers are more than just good with McClain and Hightower. The defensive line will lean on Cody who should be in much better shape than last season. On offense they have some talented running backs that will have to lead the way and Jones is a special weapon at receiver. But they have to fill major holes in the offensive line and at the quarterback position.
QB
RB Upchurch, Grant, Ingram
WR Jones
TE
OL M. Johnson
DL Cody, Deaderick
LB McClain, Hightower, Hall
CB Arenas, Jackson
S Woodall

10)
UNC: A talented football team, on defense they have a lot of good young defensive lineman, leading the way is Austin. At linebacker they have a star in Sturdivant and in the defensive backfield Burney and Williams are real playmakers. On offense the line is a little questionable but they have a lot of good solid running backs, experienced quarterbacks and a great project receiver in Little.
QB Yates
RB Draughn, Elzy, R Houston
WR G. Little
TE
OL
DL Austin, McAdoo, Quinn
LB Sturdivant, Carter,
CB Burney
S D. Williams

Last edited by Ozzy : 06-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top position cores in college football

Top running back cores
1 USC: S. Johnson, McKnight, Gable, Tyler, Havili, Bradford
2 LSU: Scott, Williams, Holliday

Top receiving cores
1 USC: R. Johnson, D. Williams, Ausberry, McCoy, Ayles
2 Notre Dame: Floyd, G. Tate, Grimes, Parrish, Kamara, Rudolph

Top offensive line cores
1 Boston College: Claiborne, Castanzo, Lapham, Elliot
2 USC: Brown, Lewis, O’Dowd, T. Smith, Kalil, Byers

Top defensive line core
1 Oklahoma: Granger, McCoy, English, Taylor, Beal, Alexander
2 Ohio State: Gibson, Heyward, Wilson, Worthington, Rose

Top linebacker cores
1 Florida: Spikes, Stamper, Hicks, Doe
2 Oklahoma: Reynolds, Box, Lewis, Clayton

Top defensive back cores
1 USC: Mays, Wright, Thomas, Pinkard, Harris
2 Florida Haden, Black, Wright, Jenkins, Munroe
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like our defensive line core. Not top-2 material, but neither is OSU. UF immediately comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others.

Speaking of UF, their LBs are overrated.

USC RBs :-O! I'd like to have CJ Gable as my "3rd best" back.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like our defensive line core. Not top-2 material, but neither is OSU. UF immediately comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others.
It is potentially top two material, if Bailey and Forston play up to par. I have Ohio State on there because potentially they could be outstanding, Heyward and Wilson are monster defensive ends, Gibson was a star pass rusher last year and the have tall big tackles as well that could be good. However yes last year they were very disappointing but I would hope they would improve and be real terrors this year. Florida has a good DL I agree and yes it could be argued they are near the top but OU is hands out the best without question in my book.

Quote:
How are they overrated? Who is better than they are? Spikes played out of his mind last year and was the best ILB in the country hands down, then you have Hicks who was a real athletic force outside and Stamper who played great in run support. I did not find many groups better than them, Miami has a good group but they do not have the star and talent power Florida has. Mostly because of McCarthy's injury issues and the lack of Brown coming into his own.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Ohio State: Clearly Pryor is an elite talent
How is this "clearly"? What has he done to prove he's elite? Sam Bradford's elite. Tim Tebow's elite. Colt McCoy's elite. Pryor is good, not elite.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How is this "clearly"? What has he done to prove he's elite? Sam Bradford's elite. Tim Tebow's elite. Colt McCoy's elite. Pryor is good, not elite.
In terms of prospects, who as a sophomore is more promising than Pryor? Sure he is a project but his upside is second to none in his class.

Maybe Robert Griffin but ultimately Pryor's potential is the best out of those young QBs in my book.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In terms of prospects, who as a sophomore is more promising than Pryor? Sure he is a project but his upside is second to none in his class.

Maybe Robert Griffin but ultimately Pryor's potential is the best out of those young QBs in my book.
So, tell me again how that means he's elite? He has elite potential, but he's far from elite right now.

Also, Ohio State's DL belongs nowhere near a top 2 in the country list.

Last edited by Sniper : 06-30-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post

USC RBs :-O! I'd like to have CJ Gable as my "3rd best" back.
@ LB's: I lol'd. The only one people even care about is Brandon Spikes who is the best ILB in the country. The others are in constant rotation. Nobody is in love with Ryan Stamper, Dustin Doe, A.J. Jones, Hicks, etc. They go in and do their job and the next comes in. I'm going to love this year, as both Jelani Jenkins and Jon Bostic will find their way into the rotation, so we'll have continuously fresh guys to put in. Spikes is the only every down player in there.

And Florida also has hands down the best secondary in College Football. Haden, Jenkins, Black, Wright, and they're good enough to keep Will Hill and others on the bench.

And if I see one more person talk up Javier Arenas... he's not a good corner, he's decent, but he makes his name as a return man. Florida borderline abused him without even having Percy on the roster.

Last edited by sbh15 : 06-30-2009 at 10:56 AM.
sbh15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So, tell me again how that means he's elite? He has elite potential, but he's far from elite right now.
By the end of next year he will be elite, simple as that.

As for their DL, quite an impressive list of large players here. Yes I admit last year they did not play well outside of Gibson but they have a lot of physical size and talent and should be much better this season. Players like Heyward you do not find in too many places.
Cameron Heyward 6-6 287
Robert Rose 6-5 285
Doug Worthington 6-6 276
Lawrence Wilson 6-4 270
Thaddeus Gibson 6-2 240
Willie Mobley 6-3 265
Todd Denlinger 6-2 292

Like with any projection however, they could not live up too they talent or ability. Thus it is clearly speculation at this point.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And Florida also has hands down the best secondary in College Football. Haden, Jenkins, Black, Wright, and they're good enough to keep Will Hill and others on the bench.
That could be argued easily. Mays is by far better than any player in the Florida secondary. If Will Harris plays up to his ability he could be something special. Then you have Pinkard who has worlds of experience and can play almost any position in the secondary. Do not forget Wright a talented corner who got injured last year and Thomas who had a solid season. Florida has a great secondary obviously but I think Mays star potential puts the USC group over Florida.

Also didn't Jenkins get in some trouble this off season? I always hate when I hear that and usually that kind of stuff shows it self on the field at some point in a negative way.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
By the end of next year he will be elite, simple as that.
You said Pryor IS elite, not WILL BE elite.

Quote:
As for their DL, quite an impressive list of large players here. Yes I admit last year they did not play well outside of Gibson but they have a lot of physical size and talent and should be much better this season. Players like Heyward you do not find in too many places.
Cameron Heyward 6-6 287
Robert Rose 6-5 285
Doug Worthington 6-6 276
Lawrence Wilson 6-4 270
Thaddeus Gibson 6-2 240
Willie Mobley 6-3 265
Todd Denlinger 6-2 292

Like with any projection however, they could not live up too they talent or ability. Thus it is clearly speculation at this point.
Besides being big, what have they done, you know, on the field to merit being called a top 2 DL? Or is this like Pryor where you say they're "elite" now and actually mean that you think they'll be elite with nothing to back it up?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
That could be argued easily. Mays is by far better than any player in the Florida secondary. If Will Harris plays up to his ability he could be something special. Then you have Pinkard who has worlds of experience and can play almost any position in the secondary. Do not forget Wright a talented corner who got injured last year and Thomas who had a solid season. Florida has a great secondary obviously but I think Mays star potential puts the USC group over Florida.
So, again, you'd rather take potential over someone who's already done it? Makes a whole lot of sense.

Quote:
Also didn't Jenkins get in some trouble this off season? I always hate when I hear that and usually that kind of stuff shows it self on the field at some point in a negative way.
Yeah, he did. Remind me again how that affects his play?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't believe for one second that Oklahoma is more talented than Florida. And I don't believe that UNC is more talented than FSU either, but that's the homer in me.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he said pryor is an elite talent, he is. just not an elite player yet.

and as far as DLine, one name that you leave out is true sophomore DE Nathan Williams. He should emerge as the nickel rush end opposite Gibson this year. Williams-Heyward-GIbson plus a bunch of seniors in Worthington, WIlson, Denlinger, and Rose makes for a very talented, deep line. That said, the top 2 defensive fronts this year are clearly Oklahoma and Florida IMO. Mississippi's is pretty good too.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
GhostDeini
Rookie

GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini

USC is always suppose to be loaded with talent and all they do is bully the pathetic PAC1 then their players go to the NFL and flop hard. When will people learn ? USC overrates the f*#% out of their players. Anyway, Florida Gators are clearly the most talented team in NCAA. Anybody who has another team over them is a moron straight up.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini View Post
USC is always suppose to be loaded with talent and all they do is bully the pathetic PAC1 then their players go to the NFL and flop hard. When will people learn ? USC overrates the f*#% out of their players. Anyway, Florida Gators are clearly the most talented team in NCAA. Anybody who has another team over them is a moron straight up.
It's funny that you talk about USC players flopping in the NFL but then talk about Florida being a talented team.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care how ****** they do in the NFL, they kick butt in college. Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams were incredible college receivers. Those guys had talent, it just doesn't translate well to the pro game.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't believe for one second that Oklahoma is more talented than Florida. And I don't believe that UNC is more talented than FSU either, but that's the homer in me.
First off I would take Oklahoma's QB, RBs, and TEs over Florida's anyday.

As far as FSU goes well they have very talented players but most of them have to prove a lot. I like a lot of their defensive backs and linebackers but most have to put up or shut up, last year they were really talented as an overall group but did not reach their team potential. I would take the two stars in UNCs defensive backfield over any on Florida State. Then UNCs defensive line is potentially better than FSU as well and so are their linebackers. And unlike FSU, UNC has actual running backs on their roster, FSU has nobody in terms of who was on the team last season.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
First off I would take Oklahoma's QB over Florida's anyday.
You do that, and I'll take the one with the national titles.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You do that, and I'll take the one with the national titles.
Note, Sam Bradford is not my favorite NFL prospect in the world at quarterback but he is more of a safe bet than Tebow at this point in time.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Note, Sam Bradford is not my favorite NFL prospect in the world at quarterback but he is more of a safe bet than Tebow at this point in time.
You're changing your criteria every time I speak out against one of them. Make up your damn mind. The title says "Most talented COLLEGE football teams", not "Who I like best even though they're average" or "Best pro prospects". Tim Tebow is a phenomenally talented college football player.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
sbh15 And if I see one more person talk up Javier Arenas... he's not a good corner, he's decent, but he makes his name as a return man. Florida borderline abused him without even having Percy on the roster.
That was probably his worst game of the season, yes he had major problems there. Considering however his great growth as a corner last year compared to the year previous I would expect nothing less than more growth from him this year. Clearly his return ability helps but his physically tools is what impresses me the most.

As for the Florida linebacker core, I really like Hicks on the outside, athletically he is very gifted and again Stamper can make some real nice plays when he gets the chance. It is not their fault Florida has a lot of linebackers on their roster, it is kind of like when people ripped Cushing last year, and for what? It is just trying to find fault in a group of very talented players. Mind you, I hate the Florida Gators ever since Spurrier left.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

8)
Notre Dame: Very talented offensive team, real good players at the receiving positions, outstanding weapons there. They have good running backs as well who just need to produce and Clausen should continue his solid development. On defensive the front and linebackers have a lot to prove but the defensive backfield is solid as can be. Potential stars of that group could be Blanton and Smith.
QB Clausen
RB Allen, Hughes, Aldrige
WR Floyd, G. Tate, Kamara
TE Rudolph
OL Young, Olsen
DLJohnson
LB B. Smith
CB Blanton, Walls
S H. Smith. McCarthy S Brown
Made a few adjustments.
I do agree with where you rank ND on talent though (so you prolly have them to high considering my homer bias ;) )
Reasons for adjustments:
Removals:
Parrish& Grimes: Both will see the field but with Ragone back fit a large proportion of the single back sets will be two-te sets and charlie hates to play empty backfield so I dont see them getting to much time to prove themselves.
Gray: Although talented he is our fourth corner probably and with him also missing the spring I dont see him getting beyond McNeill in the depth chart, let alone (certainly considering our nickel, more on that later)

Additions(bolded)
Ethan Johnson: Lasts years sack leader was basicly the only high point in a dissapointing DLine that got the DLine coach fired. Considering he missed almost an entire year of football before he started as a true freshman last season he has the potential to be one of the brightest defensive stars for ND.
Brian Smith: The undisputed emotional leader of the defense and my pick for leading tackler (provided that the DLine will play better, I hope it will not be the two safeties again, that was just sad last season).Brings a lot of agression and is in his third year starting. Not saying he is a superstar but he certainly has proven himself already.
Sergio Brown: A physical freak with many years of service at he nickel back position and since ND will play he nickel a lot the upcoming season (CW already told he was thinking the nickel could see the field as much as the base defense) he will have plenty of time to prove his worth.

Don't take it as critique, I was just bored, hence the length of the piece

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

wicket

Johnson, Smith and Brown I did not include because they just did not really stand out to me last season for the Irish. However I will remember to watch them more closely this year. I appreciate the additions, it is always hard to follow all teams and list all the players.

Still think Harrison Smith could have a great season, too bad he was basically a OLB for them last year, he will really have to show he can cover, but he can obviously tackle quite well.

Also Blanton, I was disappointed on how he disappeared in some games and at times did not even get on the field, love his size and supposed strength though!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For DL you could throw Ole Miss on there with Hardy/Tillman/Lockett at end and Powe/Laurent/Scott at tackle.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote