Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Laptop Advice Thread

Ok, I'm off to Rutgers in a month and a half or so, and need a laptop obviously. I'm an admitted laptop n00b and have no idea what to get. Right now I'm a sports management major and I may try and minor in journalism.

So that's a **** load of writing, with like economics and crap from sports management. I'm not going into insane math probably just re-taking pre-calc and be done. So there's that. Just any advice would be super helpful from you laptop gurus or guys who've had experience with laptops at college. I just wanna take notes, go on teh internets, and simple stuff.

http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/newcomputers.php

^That's Rutgers "guidelines" for laptops I guess.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make sure it has cupholders.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

But honestly, for wireless, Macs are so much easier to set-up. As an RA, I had 50 students give me their PCs and it would take 30 minutes to get set-up sometimes with all the crap they had to do. Heck, some just would reject the password and stuff for the school.

Once you have a name and password, the Mac is literally two clicks away from wireless connectivity. And you'll use wireless. A lot.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Make sure it has cupholders.
Duh, laptops come with built in cupholders.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

But honestly, for wireless, Macs are so much easier to set-up. As an RA, I had 50 students give me their PCs and it would take 30 minutes to get set-up sometimes with all the crap they had to do. Heck, some just would reject the password and stuff for the school.

Once you have a name and password, the Mac is literally two clicks away from wireless connectivity. And you'll use wireless. A lot.
I was a Mac hater until I got my MacBook Pro three weeks ago.

It's worked GREAT for me. The battery life on the semi-low setting is seven hours!
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, PCs are so hard to setup for wireless.

You click "Wireless connections", then double click the one you want, then enter the password. I don't know how anyone deals with that...
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Yea, PCs are so hard to setup for wireless.

You click "Wireless connections", then double click the one you want, then enter the password. I don't know how anyone deals with that...
It's a bit different for colleges because generally you are going to have to obtain a whole other name and password to use in access to the network, plus most computers aren't initially set up for the TCP/IP stuff, so you have to fandangle your way to enter the stuff. And there is usually virus protection and other crap you are forced to download if using a college network.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
It's a bit different for colleges because generally you are going to have to obtain a whole other name and password to use in access to the network, plus most computers aren't initially set up for the TCP/IP stuff, so you have to fandangle your way to enter the stuff. And there is usually virus protection and other crap you are forced to download if using a college network.
I guess.

All I know is for Iowa, they gave us instructions. All we had to do was click on the server for the school, then it had us login using our school username and password, and save the info. That was it. We never had to log on again.

Still, are there schools that don't provide students with info on how to access the internet? They can't possibly just have students show up and find their way onto the internet. I've never been on a computer where I had to enter more than a password to connect (outside of setting up a router).
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was wanting a Macbook for a long time, but ended up getting a Dell Inspiron which comes in next tuesday. But ill settle with an iMac for my desktop.

If you dont have a budget look at some Macbooks or go on dell and build your own laptop on there.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't go with Dell.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm thinking of going with dell

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Don't go with Dell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
i'm thinking of going with dell
Bahahaha, IDK why but I lol'ed quite a bit at this.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Yea, I'm never buying another Dell. From experience and a lot of people I've talked to, random things have stopped working at or around 3 years, which just so happens to be when the warranty is up.

At 3 years and 1 month, my power cable died. I called in to ask them if it was possible that my cable died. I told them what happened, that I thought it was my power cable, and gave them all the info of my computer and such. Their response: "Oh, your warranty is up." I told them I knew this, and that I was willing to buy a new power cable, I was just calling to ask if that was indeed the problem. They told me that since my warranty was up, that they can't tell me if that was the problem or not. Even after telling them that I was 100% guaranteeing I will purchase a new cable from them, they told me again that they won't help me figure out the problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You just need to hush right now Iowatreat. I'm about 2 months away from reaching the 3 year plateau with my Dell and now you're making me nervous.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did a ******** of research a few weeks back, ended up just building my own desktop instead of buy a laptop. But if that isnt an option, I really liked the Sony Vaio. You pay a little more (they are 1099 here), but they have great service plans for the few times they break and are great machines altogether. Also, the Lenovo Ideapad is supposed to be really badass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if youre gonan get a sony might as well go with a mac. Theyre both expensive.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I end up saying this every time we have this thread. If you're going to by a PC laptop, buy a Lenovo thinkpad. They're tanks, they're reliable, they're relatively cheap, and they are easily fixed.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
You just need to hush right now Iowatreat. I'm about 2 months away from reaching the 3 year plateau with my Dell and now you're making me nervous.
Smash it and get a new one.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a Dell, works pretty good and wasn't too expensive.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 last July, and it worked awesome until this June. It started ******* around, and it turned out the hard drive due to "humidity". WTF.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lenovo Thinkpad T series is the best midrange laptop available IMO. Excellent performance (probably the best for the money), durable, and has a comfortable keyboard.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

While we're on the subject of laptops, is it okay to keep my laptop plugged in all of the time? Does it damage the battery?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
While we're on the subject of laptops, is it okay to keep my laptop plugged in all of the time? Does it damage the battery?
I heard that it's bad for the battery but mine is always plugged in and I've never had a problem with battery life.

I also heard it's the same for cell phones.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

My Dell Inspiron gets in next week, thanks guys for making me worry :[

Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
My Dell Inspiron gets in next week, thanks guys for making me worry :[
Wait until you have to deal with Jugdesh who can't ******* speak English. That's when the fun begins.