Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default More To Love - TV Show Review

I told several people on IRC about how I was going to review each episode of a new show coming up on FOX. I just finished the introduction to the series and am hoping that by writing more it will only help me develop more as a writer. So here goes. Constructive criticism is more than welcome.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Something Amore

In late July FOX will once again prove it has its finger on the pulse of what America wants. From the same station that brought us K-Ville and Temptation Island comes More To Love, a show about plus-sized girls vying for the attention of a man whose built like Kevin James. After watching the preview and being a moderate fan of reality television I had to find out more information about this show.

Instead of starting at the end and working my way back I started from the beginning and where do all shows start off? Interviews. What I did find out about the interview process is that most of the sign-ups were at bar and grills. It's like the producers of the show got together and brainstormed this. “We've got this show More To Love and need to find plus-sized women. Where do we find those?” A brief silence broken by one brave soul who blurts out: “RESTAURANTS!” “Brilliant.” When they weren't being held at bar and grills they were being held at malls, which begs me to ask: were the auditions at the malls held by the food court? What better way to get a feel for a girl than for her to have a 64oz Bladder Buster in one hand and a corn dog in the other.

Here's a list of actual locations for the auditions. See if you can spot the fake one:

Primo's Bar & Grill
Dallas, TX

Rock Bottom Restaurant
Chicago, IL

Chile's Bar & Grill
Milwaukee, WI

Menlo Park Mall
Edison, NJ

The Woodlands Mall
The Woodlands, TX

King of Prussia Mall
King of Prussia, PA

So, the producers start off the interview process with a huge stereotype. I wouldn't expect anything less from the FOX network. So far, FOX has stumbled out of the gate.

As I kept researching the show what I found out was that more people than I expected, which means more people than me, are eager for the first episode. Some feels the show will be crass, uncouth, and basically a typical FOX show. So far, though, aside from looking for contestants in restaurants the show doesn't seem to be following the typical script. That renews my faith in the show a little bit.
While digging around on the internet I came across a clip from one of the casting calls. Access Hollywood sent a size 4 news anchor to interview the contestants. Bad move on that their part. She didn't help her cause by asking some of the contestants “How would you feel if FOX brought in some skinny girls midway through the competition?” Those being interviewed handled it well but I was waiting for one of them to fly off the handle and squirt ranch dressing in her eye and then give her a leg drop. Now that would have been good television!
Now I've dated some healthier girls in the past so I know there are some attractive girls that are bigger than a size 2 out there but it's FOX we're dealing with so I wanted to temper my expectations. I was expecting Rasputia from Norbit when I clicked the link for the casting calls but, to my surprise, the first lady they interviewed was really attractive. I'm not talking run-across-the-street-in-five-o'clock-traffic-just-to-talk-to-her kind of hot but nice and full-figured with a great smile. The next two ladies they interviewed were slightly (slightly!) above average in the looks department but the last girl I could tell had a really cool personality. Hopefully she makes it because. So far this show is starting to look very promising.

Link to the casting call.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/70190/acce...e-casting-call

After watching the casting call clip I wanted to go back and replay the preview of the show.
Link to the preview.
http://vodpod.com/watch/1780268-foxs...d=iamatvjunkie

The premise of More to Love is just like The Bachelor. There will be twenty-five healthy girls trying to woo this bear-like man. And as with The Bachelor I am sure there will be more than a few too-crazy-for-comfort contestants. There will probably be the one that loves sex as well. There's always that one! Let me just say that I see nothing wrong with this premise, it's worked fine for The Bachelor and The Bachelorette but I WAS upset when I read that there were casting calls for the women as well as the man. I mean I could have auditioned! Which woman wouldn't have wanted to seduce a man who has more in common with George Costanza than he does with Ryan Reynolds? Tell me, America... I'm waiting.

I do have problems with the guy they picked. Not only am I more attractive than this man but I fear we're stuck with a guy who will give us lines like “What kind of girl are you looking for?” “One that looks just like you” on every show. That makes me cringe. So we get the huge white guy with no game instead of someone that looks and acts like John Favreau (a bigger guy) or a younger John Goodman. The guy they chose just looks too eager to be the center of all of this female attention or any attention of any kind. Period.. I'm sure he hasn't seen this much attention since being on the bottom of a dog pile in a high school football game. I'm just, I'm at a loss. I've got to shake it off. I can't get too down on him because I'm envious of his position. Surrounded by all of those woman who I'm sure know how to cook and who are hungry for... love.

The show starts July 28 and I can't wait. The premiere is on a Tuesday and will probably come on between 7:00pm-8:00pm. I'll be waiting with my pen and notepad in hand eager and ready to take notes about the episode. Hopefully I can find a contestant to root for on the first episode. I hope FOX delivers. I hope this show is better than The Bachelor. I hope.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 07-13-2009 at 12:38 AM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just something I noticed.. it's "Norbit" not "Norbert"
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bump up the jams.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is interesting. I've never heard of it before this but I'm now interested.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to hear more about what your survival strategy amongst 25 "healthy" young ladies would be.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I want to hear more about what your survival strategy amongst 25 "healthy" young ladies would be.
That's something I'm going to work out once I watch the first episode.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

One hour, three pages, and a box of tissues later and I am done watching the first episode. I'm going to try and work on my column about it tonight and hope to have it up either late tonight or some time during the day tomorrow.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
andrewmoquin

This sounds interesting!

I am curious about it 'coz I never heard it before.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so. which one is the fake one?

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Last night was a night I had been waiting for. I made sure to eat supper early so I could settle in undisturbed. My mom joined me as she liked the idea of the show. Typically the new season of fall television programming begins around August or September, but the good people at FOX decided to give us an appetizer with the season premier of More To Love. Using the successful premise of The Bachelor, More To Love focuses on plus sized women looking for love. Twenty women from across the United States were chosen to compete for the love of Luke, a plus sized man. After watching the first episode I have to say it was better than eating a whole pie.

The show begins with the sizzling graphic “The average size of women on a reality tv show? Size 2. The average size of the American woman? Size 14”. And we're off!

Before the show got into the raw, juicy details the network showed a preview for the movie The Time Traveler's Wife. Who would marry a Time Traveler especially if he could travel into the future? Would that not kill any notions of mystery and romance?

Back to the matters at hand. Luke (6'3", 330lbs) is a former high school football player whose favorite hobby is “to grill and eat”. That saying comes complete with a clip of him stuffing half a hamburger into his mouth. This is our lucky bachelor, ladies and gentleman. Aside from eating he is a 26 year old real estate developer who brings in a six figure income... Wait, what? That's right, in this modern economy our husky stud is still managing to bring in six figures. No wonder I didn't get the job as the star of the show! Luke's assistant for the show is Emme, the first plus-sized model to reach supermodel status who could be Brigitte Nielson's body double.

After that lovely glimpse inside Luke's life and the introduction of Brigitte's look-a-like, the girls arrive ten to a limo. The first girl out of the car was very attractive. Busty, blonde, great smile... Very nice! Of course FOX cuts to a vignette of her discussing how she had a hard time dating because guys could never come to grips with her size and how she's just looking for love. Fine and dandy but next to her name was her home town, height, and WEIGHT. Wow. Stay classy, FOX.

As each girl proceeds down the walk way to meet look he greets them with the corniest of pick up lines such as :

Girl 1 - “What kind of girl are you look for?”
Luke - “One that looks just like you.”

Girl 2 - “What's your favorite food?”
Luke - “Anything thick and juicy.”

Way to hit them with the sexual innuendos immediately, big guy. Let them know you're not playing around. This is Cool Hand Luke Time! The girls did not fare much better in the quotes category:

Natalie was quoted with this beauty: “Love is not just for the skinny girls, it's for big girls too!”

Another gem of a quote was “The way to a man's heart is through his stomach and pants... You go through the stomach first because that's what classy women do.” This came from a woman with tattoos all over her arms and back and was wearing fishnet stockings. Later on she would admonish another girl for jumping into the pool with her clothes because she hates it when people go to extremes for attention.

As more girls proceed to enter the house they are greeted by a waiter bearing wine and meat on a stick. I am still struggling with how necessary the meat on a stick was. Were the producers thinking
“We're dealing with big girls here so they like to eat. We can't have them getting antsy and nibbling on the furniture. What's something cheap we can serve that still says 'we do things classy here'?” [Pause] “Yes, you, new guy!” “Umm... Meat on a stick?” “Absolute genius!”
Their idea did seem to work much to my chagrin. The girls did not help their cause by centering the majority of the conversations around food. Second behind food was love, and almost right behind love was sex. Some of these women had not been on dates in years, some not at all.

The central theme seems to be that these curvaceous beauties have put timetables on when they should find love. Obviously none have found it because they are on the show but in most of the vignettes the girls are crying because they “just want someone to love me for me”. That's quite understandable but nothing to get that upset about. Your team losing the Super Bowl? Yes. Running out of toilet paper at a critical moment? Yes. Finding out your mom slept with your high school principal just so you could pass 10th grade? Absolutely. But not finding love by the age of 25? Absolutely not. Due to most of their expectations not being met these ladies self-esteem was rock-bottom. The desperation was literally tangible.

There were definitely a few girls that made me perk up. The ones that did were tall and had curves in all of the right places. One of them really struck me and of course one of them had to be named Amanda. My bit of advice to Luke is “Don't do it! Stay away from Amanda! You're too good for her!” Hopefully he listens and we avoid a national disaster.

There was a girl from Baton Rouge, Louisiana (home town hero) that my mom and I both cheered for. She was nothing that I would go after but she was far from hideous. Just not my type. Once most of the contestants were out of the limo my mom commented “All of these women are beautiful”. My retort “Most... Definitely not ALL of them”. Case in point: there was this one lady whose breasts were just too far apart. I understand there not supposed to be on top of one another but this was an extreme case. It was like I was looking at two lazy eyes. Needless to say, she was one of the five ladies that were cut at the end of the show. One other being a rocket engineer (he was intimidated when she told him what she did for a living) and another the largest of the bunch but did not show it at all. She was cute but the connection was missing, I guess.

The second episode is next Tuesday and you can bet I will be sitting my chair, notepad in hand, eager to see what happens next. The show started off promising but we have yet to get into big girl cat fights. Gallon of milk, table 2! I'm going to hell.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 07-30-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
...Your team losing the Super Bowl? Yes. Running out of towel paper at a critical moment? Yes. Finding out your mom slept with your high school principal just so you could pass 10th grade? Absolutely. But not finding love by the age of 25? Absolutely not...
Good thing for you the Saints lose to the Bears was not in the Super Bowl. I hope the other events have never happened.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is stupid...

that is all

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Good thing for you the Saints lose to the Bears was not in the Super Bowl. I hope the other events have never happened.
None of those have happened. Hell, I'd be happy if the Saints just made the Super Bowl.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF4 View Post
This is stupid...

that is all
That's why I'm writing about it. I wasn't expecting some ground breaking show here.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
That's why I'm writing about it. I wasn't expecting some ground breaking show here.
So wait...why would you pick a show you know no one is going to give a damn about when you could've picked some HBO show or something that people will actually watch?

No offense but no one in this thread is too eager to read reviews of all these episodes

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF4 View Post
So wait...why would you pick a show you know no one is going to give a damn about when you could've picked some HBO show or something that people will actually watch?

No offense but no one in this thread is too eager to read reviews of all these episodes
The reason I'm doing it is to make fun of it. I'm not writing this through the eyes of a critic but to get a few laughs. When I get around to involving more pop culture references as well as referencing shows like Hung or Entourage then I'll expect more feedback. I'm doing this for me and whoever else would like to get a laugh.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter