Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Which are you a bigger fan of? NFL or NCAA?
NFL Football 77 69.37%
NCAA College Football 34 30.63%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Although I would definitely like a playoff system, without a playoff, it makes every regular season game so much more intense. If you're an undefeated team playing another big time opponent, a loss in that game could cost you a shot at the National Championship. Every week is like a playoff and the players lay it all on the line every week because if your goal is to go to the NC, one slip-up can cost you.
Teams would still have to play well to get in to the playoffs. As well as every team would then have a shot to win the NC.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
There are a lot more bandwagon fans too.
Come to Texas, and see how many people root for UT that havent even been to Austin before.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I chose the NFL, as I find the NCAA boring. I just can't invest my emotions in any of the college teams as I can with the NFL.
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Come to Texas, and see how many people root for UT that havent even been to Austin before.
They're still in Texas. Im sure plenty of Michigan fans havent been to Ann Arbor.

I just tend to see it a lot more with pro sports. Well my local team isn't so good, so Ill find a more successful team from somewhere else to like. Everyone has their little rationale stories as to why they like said random team.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Everyone has their little rationale stories as to why they like said random team.
don't get me started

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I especially love the "They were playing in the first game I watched" story.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

College football.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Gators because my Grandmother lived in the Gainseville area when I was little and she got me a hat for my birthday when I was like 3.......so they are my college football team.....so long as you stay consistent with one team for your whole life I think your fanhood is not open to question.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love college football, but part of the reason I love it is watching tomorrow's NFL players. Then again I love watching yesterday's college players develop into NFL players. I can't really favor one because they feel like 2 parts of the same thing. If I had to choose I'd take the NFL because I don't like the Bowl system.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
They are all over the country. Idaho has thousands of UT fans and the funny thing is they all act like they're from Texas and most them have never even been to Texas.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NCAA. I follow the NFL almost as close but I like the different styles, personalities, stadiums, traditions, conferences, and rivalries featured in college. I still like to think that the NCAA is more pure than the NFL, no matter how ignorant that thought may be.

While certain NFL stadiums may feature some great atmospheres there just is no comparison, as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. It is truly a remarkable experience and something that football fans, no matter if it is CFL, NFL, or NCAA, should experience.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had to pick between my Jaguars winning the Super Bowl and my Tide winning the national championship, I pick the Jaguars every time.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its a very difficult decision for me.

NFL: I love my Oakland Raiders, love the fact that it is only the absolute best football players playing there. I think really the best teams get to the super bowl and I think it is very easy to follow. However, I do feel many of them are in it for the money and there is no real variation to the offenses and defenses.

NCAA: I like the Wolverines, not as much as the Raiders though, great offensive systems and variations and players play for the love of the game and to show themselves for NFL scouts.I find the NCAA games to be more entertaining. On the other side, I find it very difficult to follow with so many teams, and there is also not a fair chance for many teams, plus there's way too many blow outs and a year isn't really enough for a team to rebuild itself, it takes much more.

I don't know which one to choose.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Everyone has their little rationale stories as to why they like said random team.
I absolutely cannot stand that stuff. To me there are very few true reasons for a favorite team. My requirements are basically that the team must be your home team, a family tradition, you went to school there, or you are somehow related or extremely close to a person on the team. That combines the NFL and college. I cannot stand people that have favorite teams with absolutely zero legitimate rational. For instance, I am from Missouri so I root for the Missouri Tigers, St. Louis Rams, St. Louis Blues, and St. Louis Cardinals. See a common link there? It's because those are the teams I should root for, the only ones that make any sense. Meanwhile, I have known people with zero ties to these locations to be fans of the Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, USC, Miami Hurricanes, Virginia Tech, Longhorns, Yankees, and Red Sox. It really ticks me off sometimes.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrillman View Post
I absolutely cannot stand that stuff. To me there are very few true reasons for a favorite team. My requirements are basically that the team must be your home team, a family tradition, you went to school there, or you are somehow related or extremely close to a person on the team. That combines the NFL and college. I cannot stand people that have favorite teams with absolutely zero legitimate rational. For instance, I am from Missouri so I root for the Missouri Tigers, St. Louis Rams, St. Louis Blues, and St. Louis Cardinals. See a common link there? It's because those are the teams I should root for, the only ones that make any sense. Meanwhile, I have known people with zero ties to these locations to be fans of the Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, USC, Miami Hurricanes, Virginia Tech, Longhorns, Yankees, and Red Sox. It really ticks me off sometimes.
I'm from Panama... how exactly am I going to get a team?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you can legitimately hold your own in conversation about "your" team, I don't think it really matters where you're from or what affiliation you have with them. I hate seeing so many Cowboys "fans" around here who don't know that DeMarcus Ware plays on their team.

"So, you're a Cowboys fan. Who's your favorite player?"
"I don't know. I've just always been a Cowboys fan"

**** off with that ****.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
If you can legitimately hold your own in conversation about "your" team, I don't think it really matters where you're from or what affiliation you have with them. I hate seeing so many Cowboys "fans" around here who don't know that DeMarcus Ware plays on their team.

"So, you're a Cowboys fan. Who's your favorite player?"
"I don't know. I've just always been a Cowboys fan"

**** off with that ****.
Yeah that is absolutely horrible.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the hometown stuff is lame imo. Now, I root for almost all hometown teams, and in most cases that is why I actually like said team, but if you chose a team and stuck with them for like 15 years I think your legit. Who cares if I am from NYC and a Bills fan? I have rooted for them since I was little and I still do. If it makes me less of a fan because I dont live there, then fine, but that rationale is flawed imo. If anything it makes me more of a fan because I drag my ass all the way up to Buffalo at least once a year for a game. Plus I have to deal with Jets and Giants fans......and they suck, especially Giants fans.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
I'm from Panama... how exactly am I going to get a team?
Well, obviously that's an extenuating circumstance. My rules of fandom are generalized for the standard US born and raised resident.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL for me, and it's not even close. What's so damn exciting about watching stacked teams face over matched opponents? That's boring as hell to watch, and it happens every week en mass. The playing field is not close to even in college. To add insult to injury, the way champions are picked is utterly ********. There is no real logic behind it at all. Who cares what someone think is the best team? Have them all play each other, and see who comes out on top. Division 1-A has a joke of a bowl system. D 1-AA and down is a tad more exciting during the championship season, but D 1-A is still more entertaining overall.

The NFL is the best sports league there is. The playing level is extremely high, and the field is even. It's very exciting to see different teams having success. The great thing about the NFL is that it's the ultimate proving ground as well. You can hype a player from college all year long, but the NFL will show how great he truly is. I like watching the best, and it's clear that the NFL has them. Even if D 1-A had a playoff system, the NFL still would be my favorite. It's hard to beat the skill level of the NFL.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yeah, the hometown stuff is lame imo. Now, I root for almost all hometown teams, and in most cases that is why I actually like said team, but if you chose a team and stuck with them for like 15 years I think your legit. Who cares if I am from NYC and a Bills fan? I have rooted for them since I was little and I still do. If it makes me less of a fan because I dont live there, then fine, but that rationale is flawed imo.
I agree 100% I lived in Idaho and they have no teams to speak of. I have reasons for liking all the teams that I do but since becoming a fan I have stuck with them I've been a Magic fan since 1995 and had to cheer for them when they were the laughing stock of the NBA for all of those years.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yeah, the hometown stuff is lame imo. Now, I root for almost all hometown teams, and in most cases that is why I actually like said team, but if you chose a team and stuck with them for like 15 years I think your legit. Who cares if I am from NYC and a Bills fan? I have rooted for them since I was little and I still do. If it makes me less of a fan because I dont live there, then fine, but that rationale is flawed imo. If anything it makes me more of a fan because I drag my ass all the way up to Buffalo at least once a year for a game. Plus I have to deal with Jets and Giants fans......and they suck, especially Giants fans.
Well Buffalo isn't extremely far from NYC, so that's a bit different. My main beef is people that have these "favorite" teams and it just so happens that those teams are or were recently very good. That's BS to me. I also don't like when people all the sudden love the team that just so happens to be rivals with the local team.......... trying to get some attention.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Well, obviously that's an extenuating circumstance. My rules of fandom are generalized for the standard US born and raised resident.
Sweet, I'm in the clear. I'm Canadian.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Well Buffalo isn't extremely far from NYC, so that's a bit different. My main beef is people that have these "favorite" teams and it just so happens that those teams are or were recently very good. That's BS to me. I also don't like when people all the sudden love the team that just so happens to be rivals with the local team.......... trying to get some attention.
frontrunners are different from fans. Frontrunners suck. I hate all the Pats fans that have come out of the woodwork recently, a lot. However, as much as I despise the Patriots, I have no beef with loyal people who have rooted for them all along.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
As I alluded to earlier, we get a lot of that in the Philly area with Cowboys "fans", and none of them admit that they only like the Cowboys because they were good when the fans were growing up.