Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.
Default 2007 Draft

Thought I'd make thread dedicated to the draft other than just our big boards.

Want to start it off with a thought regarding our LB situation.

This would be a risky move but after watching some tape on the likes of Blackburn and Wilkinson, I've come to the conclusion that neither of them would make a good SAM. Both have potential at WILL but I am starting to think we should go after a SAM in the draft. Most of the top tier LBs in this draft are better fit for the MLB and WLB spots, but not many fit the mold of what we need at SLB. I am considering a wildcard pick here that could bring in huge rewards or really set us back yet another year, but I am leaning towards taking this risk. The prospect.....3rd round Brian Robison from Texas.

He entered Texas as a LB and converted to DE where he was arguably the best defensive player in their front 7 the past 2 years. He is always all over the place making plays with his freakish athleticism and strength. It would be more of one year project pick in the sense that me likely could not play three downs at SAM until 2008 but at worst, he could be another situational pass rusher and top tier special teams player. He brings the fiesty, hunry attitiude we are looking to bring in and I can really see him doing well as a SAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Interesting to say the least. Wilkinson would probably make a better WLB i agree, but Blackburn is best fit at MLB. Blackburn has the instincts, but does not have the athleticism to cover a great TE. I think we should move Kiwanuka to SLB. He showed his athleticism as a rookie. Let him play in space, instead to being hogg tied by a big Offensive lineman. He could become a playmaker at SLB. Wilkinson could play WLB, but he's nothing special at this point. I think we should take Timmons in the 1st round (maybe trade down a bit). Timmons has the playmaking ability that teams look for in a WLB. I must say I am intruiged with Robison as a SLB, but I highly doubt he can come in and make the transistion from DE to SLB and start his rookie year.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Robison would be a good 3rd or 4th round pick, no doubt. But we need a linebacker who can step in IMMEDIATELY, which he would not be able to do. I would still consider taking him in the mid rounds though

Timmons wouldnt be able to step right in either imo. That is why I think our pick is definitly going to be Paul Poz, and that would make me extremely happy.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Robison would be a good 3rd or 4th round pick, no doubt. But we need a linebacker who can step in IMMEDIATELY, which he would not be able to do. I would still consider taking him in the mid rounds though

Timmons wouldnt be able to step right in either imo. That is why I think our pick is definitly going to be Paul Poz, and that would make me extremely happy.
I wonder if we could go Poz in the 1st and Robison on the 3rd. Take BA DB in round 2 which could likely be Meriweather, Weddle, Ross (maybe), Wright, Wilson, McCauley.....
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Poz played MLB in college didn't he? I think he'd have to make a transistion to OLB, which would take some time.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I wonder if we could go Poz in the 1st and Robison on the 3rd. Take BA DB in round 2 which could likely be Meriweather, Weddle, Ross (maybe), Wright, Wilson, McCauley.....
Two LBs in 3 rounds wouldn't make much sense. We do have Wilkinson, Torbor, Blackburn, and Kiwanuka. We should add one more 1st day rookie and let them all battle it out in training camp. It should be fun to see who emerges.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
joepas171

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Two LBs in 3 rounds wouldn't make much sense. We do have Wilkinson, Torbor, Blackburn, and Kiwanuka. We should add one more 1st day rookie and let them all battle it out in training camp. It should be fun to see who emerges.
Agreed Ricky bobby....

Is there any chance Robison can last til the 4th round?

Brandon Short is still around right? He can be part of the mix too. I thought he played very well before his injury last year.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Poz played MLB in college didn't he? I think he'd have to make a transistion to OLB, which would take some time.

Poz played OLB his freshman, sophomore, and junior season. He played MLB in senior season, the transition would be seamless.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:

It would make tons of sense but it would be risky. We dropped our 3 top OLBs, we need more than Reggie Torbor competing for the SAM spot.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
poz played the inside only for his sr campaign.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he was a SAM in college, but played MIKE a few games as well in his senior year.

He should be a OLB in my opinion.

As for drafting Robison and Poz, I wouldnt be opposed.

Robison wouldnt start for at least a couple years. Wilkinson and Blackburn could split time if both impress. It would give us some depth which we need after the injurys the last 2 years. But I doubt both of them show enough to be a quality starter anyways.

Im not really impressed with Torbor enough to give him any kind of starting job either.

So I think its a solid idea, especially if it happens in the 4th for Robison
Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Prescott Burgess in the middle rounds, kind of under achieved in college, but I have a feeling he could fit into our system well.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel we will add a WR in the first 2 rounds now, I'm not a big fan of it, but Gilbride's past shows he uses a lot of spread looks.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

damix, i agree on burgess, i love his speed as an LB
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Thought I'd make thread dedicated to the draft other than just our big boards.

Want to start it off with a thought regarding our LB situation.

This would be a risky move but after watching some tape on the likes of Blackburn and Wilkinson, I've come to the conclusion that neither of them would make a good SAM. Both have potential at WILL but I am starting to think we should go after a SAM in the draft. Most of the top tier LBs in this draft are better fit for the MLB and WLB spots, but not many fit the mold of what we need at SLB. I am considering a wildcard pick here that could bring in huge rewards or really set us back yet another year, but I am leaning towards taking this risk. The prospect.....3rd round Brian Robison from Texas.

He entered Texas as a LB and converted to DE where he was arguably the best defensive player in their front 7 the past 2 years. He is always all over the place making plays with his freakish athleticism and strength. It would be more of one year project pick in the sense that me likely could not play three downs at SAM until 2008 but at worst, he could be another situational pass rusher and top tier special teams player. He brings the fiesty, hunry attitiude we are looking to bring in and I can really see him doing well as a SAM.
Very, very interesting idea. I have to admitt, I too was quite impressed with this guy at the Combine. Was one of the guys who really showed up there. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a project when we need instant relief at the LB posistion. If we could get him in the fourth I wouldn't mind it, with say, Posluszny being taken in the first. Would allow us to take care of some other needs in the second and third. I can't say I would like two potential OLB in the first in third.

However, if we do decide to convert Kiwi to SAM linebacker (I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I can live with it), then Robinson with the third rounder might work out. Him and Tuck could compete for the starting posistion at defensive end in a year or two when Strahan retires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
damix, i agree on burgess, i love his speed as an LB
I'd have to see what he'd run at his Pro Day. I know Combine 40's are inaccurate, but he ran in the 4.8's twice I believe. I loved to watch the guy, but I'm not sure he has a real passion for the game. Which I know me and many others do not like in a player. Correct me if I'm wrong though, just the feeling I got.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

true forenci, i dont knowmuch about how, but he played fairly well at michiganand i feel using a 2nd day pick on him wouldnt be too bad(depending how the rest of the draft went of course)
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

so has anyone heard whats up with or LT position? are we draftingsomeone or sliding diehl or did we pick up someone in FA i missed? if we do draft i dont think anyone worth anything will be available at our pick in the 1st. tell me wats up bbd.

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
I feel we will add a WR in the first 2 rounds now, I'm not a big fan of it, but Gilbride's past shows he uses a lot of spread looks.
a wr in the 1st 2 rounds...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
a wr in the 1st 2 rounds...
Get that idiotic smirk off your face. A WR is round 1 or 2 is very much possible, and i'm all for it. In case you haven't realized, we have only 3WRs. Two of the WRs are 30 or above, and the other one hasn't proved anything in his one year of NFL experience. I've been chirping this for months, but I guess you haven't been around all that long. We need a WR in round 1 or 2.

Reese isn't making predicting the draft any easier for us. He hasn't made any FA signing and predicting who he will take in the draft is a crap shoot. I'm going to list the Giant's many needs by tiers

Tier one:
- Outside Linebacker, WLB preferably
- Corner back - We didn't get any help in FA with Hood off the market
- Wide Reciever - Read above

Tier two:
- Tight End - Shank is gone (almost forgot)
- Running Back - Droughns is OK, but we need a speedster
- Offensive Guard - Not sure about Suebert at LG
- Defensive tackle - Need one more in the rotation, unless Ian Scott is signed

Tier three:
- Safety - Demps, Wilson, Butler and one more late round rookie
- Offensive Tackle - One more is needed for depth
- Kicker - Compete with Huston
- Full back - We were interested in Mughelli, which means Finn is on the hot seat. Maybe Droughns can be our FB?

If we hope to fill these needs, we would need to trade down in the draft and pick up as many picks as possible. Reese is looking to build a team with depth, youth, and speed. I don't agree with Number 10's idea of trading our 2nd and 3rd round picks to get an extra 1st round pick. Two players will not put us over the top. We are in a rebuilding mode (whether you want to admit it or not) and we need as many picks as possible to rebuild our roster.

Last edited by ricky bobby : 03-11-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

only 3 wrs? plax, toomer, moss, jennings, tyree. thats 5. lets just neglect our DFence which has holes at lb and db.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Get that idiotic smirk off your face. A WR is round 1 or 2 is very much possible, and i'm all for it. In case you haven't realized, we have only 3WRs. Two of the WRs are 30 or above, and the other one hasn't proved anything in his one year of NFL experience. I've been chirping this for months, but I guess you haven't been around all that long. We need a WR in round 1 or 2.

Reese isn't making predicting the draft any easier for us. He hasn't made any FA signing and predicting who he will take in the draft is a crap shoot. I'm going to list the Giant's many needs by tiers

Tier one:
- Outside Linebacker, WLB preferably
- Corner back - We didn't get any help in FA with Hood off the market
- Wide Reciever - Read above

Tier two:
- Running Back - Droughns is OK, but we need a speedster
- Offensive Guard - Not sure about Suebert at LG
- Defensive tackle - Need one more in the rotation, unless Ian Scott is signed

Tier three:
- Safety - Demps, Wilson, Butler and one more late round rookie
- Offensive Tackle - One more is needed for depth
- Kicker - Compete with Huston
- Full back - We were interested in Mughelli, which means Finn is on the hot seat. Maybe Droughns can be our FB?

If we hope to fill these needs, we would need to trade down in the draft and pick up as many picks as possible. Reese is looking to build a team with depth, youth, and speed. I don't agree with Number 10's idea of trading our 2nd and 3rd round picks to get an extra 1st round pick. Two players will not put us over the top. We are in a rebuilding mode (whether you want to admit it or not) and we need as many picks as possible to rebuild our roster.

I agree with you that CB and OLB are in tier one but WR is not- thats tier 2- ya gotta say OG/OT is the 3rd among tier 1
WR/HB/DT is tier 2
I would say K, S, and backup TE/FB is 3rd tier
I am also against that Number 10- we need as many picks as possible and wit timmons dropping stock i think we should trade down like 5-6 spots, still get him and pick up an xtra 3rd rounder or something- or move up in the 2nd round liek last year

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
only 3 wrs? plax, toomer, moss, jennings, tyree. thats 5. lets just neglect our DFence which has holes at lb and db.
So tell me what happened last year when Toomer went down. We completely lost our passing game. Jennings, Tyree or Carter did not step up. Moss was injured, so i'll give him a pass this time. Tyree is a special teamer nothing more, Jennings will not make our roster next year, Carter is already gone. I'm not saying ignore our holes on defense. If you read the rest of the post, you'd see that I have WR, OLB, and CB at the same level of need.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
So tell me what happened last year when Toomer went down. We completely lost our passing game. Jennings, Tyree or Carter did not step up. Moss was injured, so i'll give him a pass this time. Tyree is a special teamer nothing more, Jennings will not make our roster next year, Carter is already gone. I'm not saying ignore our holes on defense. If you read the rest of the post, you'd see that I have WR, OLB, and CB at the same level of need.
lets draft a wr just because 2 of them were hurt last year thats just stupid. if a good wr falls in the second round id be fine with it. be realistic we have shockey plax toomer and moss. we dont need a wr in the first 2 rounds. we have too many other holes.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

BigBlue58KiperIII hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We shouldnt depend on Toomer fellas, who knows how he is going to come back from an ACL injury and he is getting up there in age to begin with. Tyree has a good rapport with Eli and i think he is a decent 4th WR. However i have said for a while that i think we need a WR on Day 1 if a good enough one falls to us. For me the top 3 positions we need to fill in the draft on the first day, barring any great players dropping are LB, CB, and WR in that order but we will see come draft day. However there is a cahnce one of the very good WR drop to us in the 2nd in which case we should take one, there are alot of good ones out there this year that can be solid #2-1A recievers in this league
2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title
BigBlue58KiperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
We shouldnt depend on Toomer fellas, who knows how he is going to come back from an ACL injury and he is getting up there in age to begin with. Tyree has a good rapport with Eli and i think he is a decent 4th WR. However i have said for a while that i think we need a WR on Day 1 if a good enough one falls to us. For me the top 3 positions we need to fill in the draft on the first day, barring any great players dropping are LB, CB, and WR in that order but we will see come draft day. However there is a cahnce one of the very good WR drop to us in the 2nd in which case we should take one, there are alot of good ones out there this year that can be solid #2-1A recievers in this league
i disagree i think we need o-line depth b4 we take a wr or eli isnt going to have enough time to throw to anyone.