Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Investing Thread

Anybody else here invest in the stock market or anything similar? I've been doing it for about 7 years and have done fairly well in doing so.

I'd like to take this thread to bounce ideas off anyone if they do invest.

I made a good amount on NFLX and AAPL several months ago, but have been mostly out of the market as of late because I just get the sense it's going down. Of course it just seems to keep going up and up, am I losing money sitting on the sideline or should I get back into the game and hope for the best?
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll mess around occasionally, but nothing serious yet. I'd rather bet my disposable income on sports tbh.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a ROTH at Vanguard. Target Retirement Fund 2050.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I'll mess around occasionally, but nothing serious yet. I'd rather bet my disposable income on sports tbh.
I use mine to make more money, so I'm perfectly fine with having it tied up. If I wasn't very good at it, I'd definitely spend money elsewhere.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I have a Roth IRA, never mess with it though it's just supposed to get me my10% a year going untouched.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a Roth IRA myself but also an E-trade account. I try to focus on blue chip companies that offer strong dividends rather than go for high risk investments. At&T offers a strong dividend and isn't that expensive a stock. I parked a good amount of money in there and have been profiting off of the dividend payments for a few years.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I have a Roth IRA, never mess with it though it's just supposed to get me my10% a year going untouched.
You aren't going to get 10% a year on average but the Roth is the best place to park your money.

I sort of break my investments down into about 3 parts. You got your safer investments, (cash, CDs) your more riskier ones ( stock mutual funds) and your mad money which i pretty much use to buy individual companies like the Facebooks, Apples and Googles of the world.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
You aren't going to get 10% a year on average but the Roth is the best place to park your money.

I sort of break my investments down into about 3 parts. You got your safer investments, (cash, CDs) your more riskier ones ( stock mutual funds) and your mad money which i pretty much use to buy individual companies like the Facebooks, Apples and Googles of the world.
Were you holding FB earlier this week? If so, congrats.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Were you holding FB earlier this week? If so, congrats.
Made 2k the one day but bought it high when it went public so i guess i'm stilling losing money, make that i am still losing money. My plan was to take a flier on it and hold it for 2 or 3 years so i'm still optimistic.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Facebook would have been something I would have bought as soon as it hit the market then sold as soon as it got fat. They still have no idea how to make money off of Facebook as a business. Their only income is from investors, so it's a bit of a pyramid scheme at this point until/unless they figure out how to make it into a profitable business.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Well, 10% is what my investor said and what the IRA was supposed to get when invested. That was before the market fell and after the great decline where it fell to about 50% of what I invested, I'm up about 10% of my initial investment.

Not my greatest pick, but I didn't see the market fallout happening
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Made 2k the one day but bought it high when it went public so i guess i'm stilling losing money, make that i am still losing money. My plan was to take a flier on it and hold it for 2 or 3 years so i'm still optimistic.
Well, you still have a chance. Hopefully it will keep trending up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Facebook would have been something I would have bought as soon as it hit the market then sold as soon as it got fat. They still have no idea how to make money off of Facebook as a business. Their only income is from investors, so it's a bit of a pyramid scheme at this point until/unless they figure out how to make it into a profitable business.
Did you not hear that they massively screwed up the IPO and it plunged like 20% right out of the gate?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I have a Roth IRA myself but also an E-trade account. I try to focus on blue chip companies that offer strong dividends rather than go for high risk investments. At&T offers a strong dividend and isn't that expensive a stock. I parked a good amount of money in there and have been profiting off of the dividend payments for a few years.
I tend to do both depending on the market, if I can't find a stock I love to grow I usually throw it into high dividend. I usually tend to have about 1/2 my portfolio in a long position with high dividend yield, and half that I buy and sell like crazy.

Last year my accountant was upset because I bought and sold over 200k worth of stock (makes way more work for him)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Did you not hear that they massively screwed up the IPO and it plunged like 20% right out of the gate?
I was going to say the same thing. Historically, stocks tend to fall 10% in the months after the IPO. Facebook exceeded that, and some are an exception (like Chipotle) but IPO is usually set high and autocorrects.

There's really no reason to buy on the IPO unless you consider the stock a homerun and are willing to hold long term and just want in and don't care if it dips a little after you buy because long run you're gonna make money
Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
One you're smart being with Vanguard because of their lower fees and two it looks like you have a long time for that money to grow. Paying no tax when you take it out is the best part of all.

Do they adjust the stock to bond ration on those long term funds, i assume they would.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Phone companies for the most part have done well for decades with the exeption of Qwest (who i worked for) who saw it's stock dip to around 1.15 a share about 10 years ago. Thankfully i jumped in and bought more shares when it did.

Centurylink (as in the field name) has done better and pays a pretty healthy dividend. I probably have too much of their stock but the dividend pay my condo dues every quarter.

You young guys are smart to take advantage of long term investing and compounding. Wish it were around when i was just starting out.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone here should check out www.mrmoneymustache.com, it's a great site and if you want to retire at some point in the future, early or at all, you should read it. The forums are also very helpful there.

I put all of my disposable income into stocks at the moment. $1500 a month and I am mostly investing in individual stocks at the moment because I am young and have a high risk tolerance. So I'll put 3 grand into a stock every 2 months or so. I want to invest in real estate but haven't found a good property yet. I just bought TSLA yesterday at 127.30. Bought MGAM two months ago for $25.20 and it's up 25% since then, so that's been good.

I also bought 800 shares of ZNGA in February at $3.55 per share. I sold 400 of them prior to earnings at $3.55 per share. Good thing because now it's right at about $3.00 after earnings and news that they won't be pursuing online gambling, which is why I bought it in the first place. I think Don Mattrick, their new CEO, will get the company focused and will be able to pull it up past where I bought it at sometime in the next year, so I am not super worried. I only have $1400 left in it, so I'll just hold until there is some positive news. I also bought NFLX pre earnings, and it fell about 8% after earnings, so that is disappointing. But it has a ton of potential, and I think their long term goal is to get involved with live events, which would be huge. If they can fend off competition, NFLX will be a huge stock.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
Everyone here should check out www.mrmoneymustache.com, it's a great site and if you want to retire at some point in the future, early or at all, you should read it. The forums are also very helpful there.

I put all of my disposable income into stocks at the moment. $1500 a month and I am mostly investing in individual stocks at the moment because I am young and have a high risk tolerance. So I'll put 3 grand into a stock every 2 months or so. I want to invest in real estate but haven't found a good property yet. I just bought TSLA yesterday at 127.30. Bought MGAM two months ago for $25.20 and it's up 25% since then, so that's been good.

I also bought 800 shares of ZNGA in February at $3.55 per share. I sold 400 of them prior to earnings at $3.55 per share. Good thing because now it's right at about $3.00 after earnings and news that they won't be pursuing online gambling, which is why I bought it in the first place. I think Don Mattrick, their new CEO, will get the company focused and will be able to pull it up past where I bought it at sometime in the next year, so I am not super worried. I only have $1400 left in it, so I'll just hold until there is some positive news. I also bought NFLX pre earnings, and it fell about 8% after earnings, so that is disappointing. But it has a ton of potential, and I think their long term goal is to get involved with live events, which would be huge. If they can fend off competition, NFLX will be a huge stock.
Short of being a day trader investing just in individual stocks would be too risky for my blood. The nice thing about doing it through an IRA is you don't have to deal with all the captital gains BS.

If it were me i'd invest in mutual funds or large index funds and keep some mad money for high fliers. To each his own and you'll probably lap me several times before it's all said and done.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been in the market for about 8 years. I was doing good until a few years ago when I got bored and decided to take a risk with Fannie Mae. The day after I bought in is when the government bought them out and it dropped 90% the next day. Other than that, I bought Apple at $365 and sold at $610. I bought Marvel and was in when Disney bought them out and made a nice amount on that. I also made about 50% on IMAX. Right now I am in a natural gas stock named Carbo Ceramics. They make ceramic products for oil drilling. It had a nice day when FB also went up a ton. It went up 16% instead of the 29% that FB went up by.

I have been having the same problem you have about wondering what to do with the market. Indications based on unemployment, housing, and so on, says the market will drop but it keeps tugging along.

I saw TSLA at $97 and thought it would drop quite a bit after their huge run up after earnings. I was wrong on that for sure. Could have made 35% so far.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 07-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Housing here in the Northwest is back to around 2005 levels which was some 2 years before the peak. As for unemployment levels I'm not sure it means all that much. Momentum, company profits, consumer spending all are probably key drivers.

My take is the market will run up for awhile till the fed starts easing on the money printing and when the market is seriously overbought. Don't think we're there yet.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of my bucketlists things is to buy a stock in a company. Whats the easiest way to do it?

Also, not want to put like $$$ into it. Maybe 20/40.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
One of my bucketlists things is to buy a stock in a company. Whats the easiest way to do it?

Also, not want to put like $$$ into it. Maybe 20/40.
Make an account with a brokerage firm. There are a lot of them like Fidelity, etrade, Scottrade, and so on. I think Scottrade has the lowest minimum amount you need to make an account but I am not sure. They want $500 for you to be able to start up. You don't have to put that all in one stock but that is what they want for you to make an account. Then put in the ticker symbol for the stock you want and about 20 seconds later it will clear and you will have your shares.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Make an account with a brokerage firm. There are a lot of them like Fidelity, etrade, Scottrade, and so on. I think Scottrade has the lowest minimum amount you need to make an account but I am not sure. They want $500 for you to be able to start up. You don't have to put that all in one stock but that is what they want for you to make an account. Then put in the ticker symbol for the stock you want and about 20 seconds later it will clear and you will have your shares.
$500? Dang, I guess I have to wait on that then.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I use tdameritrade it's a 2000 minimum to startup. But you don't have to use it all, you can buy 1 stock for a penny if you wanted (they'd charge you $10 to process, unless you get free trades when you sign up, If interested I can refer you and I think you'd get free trades) Then it goes into a money market account, which is basically a savings account. So you could basically have $1989.99 in a savings account building interest.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Zach, it is a complete waste of time to buy $20 worth of stock. Even at the worst online trading website, it's like $7 a trade. Wait until you have actual money and then invest. Just use a simulator now if you want to mess around in the interim.