Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
i feel like this gets over played in every job interview. oh you have experience at this job? that helps youre an excellent candidate!

oh, you also happen to be a ******* moron with no common sense or work ethic? eh, thats ok at least we know youll be mediocre.
Very true. I work for the Government and some of my colleagues have worked for the Government longer than I've been alive. And they are pissed that at the age of 25, I'm at the same level as they are. Experience isn't everything you old farts. Don't blame me for the fact that you are completely worthless and in 30 years of service, you have yet to reach a position of management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Experience is definitely overrated. (It's valuable, but not to insane degree it's cracked up to be.)

Someone who has come in and just plain dominated for a year should absolutely overtake someone with 20 years of mediocrity in my mind.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Experience is definitely overrated. (It's valuable, but not to insane degree it's cracked up to be.)

Someone who has come in and just plain dominated for a year should absolutely overtake someone with 20 years of mediocrity in my mind.
i think its just a way of people covering their own ***.

if they hire the guy with less experience but more fire and he flames out then they took a risk and it blew up and they look bad.

but if they hire the experienced guy they know what they are getting, even if what they are getting is nothing to write home about and bascially just fills a spot and collects a check without helping the business or whatever improve and grow.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Same way here. I'm the 3rd or 4th youngest in a department of 15 people yet I'm like the only one with any sense of responsibility. It drives me insane.
The person closest to me is 6 years older. I also agree that experiece can be overrated. I got my promotion after 6me months of being at my job and I have 2 guys who are older than me 20+ years and have been with my boss since day 1..12 years ago working under me now. Needless to say they really don't like it and keep me under a microscope...any slip ups they report em to my boss immidiately so I have to be on point at all times. Which is fine with me.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's going to be so funny/nightmarish when all these dumbasses in law school can't get jobs or pay their loans back in a few years.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're in law school I take it?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're in law school I take it?
I dropped out of college after my freshman year. Work at a law firm, though, and know quite a few people planning to go to law school.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I dropped out of college after my freshman year. Work at a law firm, though, and know quite a few people planning to go to law school.
I wanna go to law school =/

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

4 years of college put me around $40,000 in the hole, I couldn't imagine law or medical school piling on top of that. Especially considering that even those won't guarantee you a high paying job right away.

I graduated in May 2010 and out of my group of friends from college, only me and one other person actually have full time jobs. One delivers pizzas, one works at Best Buy (4.0 student with an Accounting degree no less...) and another took an unpaid internship to try and get a foot in the door.

It's really, really, really ****** time to need a job right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Politicians doing absolutely nothing to get my generation better paying jobs.

Old mother ******* who think that I can just get rich working at a local factory.

Banks/Dell financing and their bullpoo interest rates and fees.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
4 years of college put me around $40,000 in the hole, I couldn't imagine law or medical school piling on top of that. Especially considering that even those won't guarantee you a high paying job right away.

I graduated in May 2010 and out of my group of friends from college, only me and one other person actually have full time jobs. One delivers pizzas, one works at Best Buy (4.0 student with an Accounting degree no less...) and another took an unpaid internship to try and get a foot in the door.

It's really, really, really ****** time to need a job right now.
I'll put it to you like this...as a 23 year old legal assistant with no degree (not even an AA), I take home more gross pay per month than most of our associate attorneys - because of their student loans.

And they're on salary, have to bill for a certain amount of hours each month (which means working weekends oftentimes), and generally have a much shittier and more stressful work life than I do.

And this is a ******* awesome place to work for attorneys just getting out of law school - not some ****, hole-in-the-wall ambulance chaser office. Unless you've got a really defined plan on how you're going to start your own practice within 5 years of getting out of law school, it's just not worth the trouble or money.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Politicians doing absolutely nothing to get my generation better paying jobs.

Old mother ******* who think that I can just get rich working at a local factory.

Banks/Dell financing and their bullpoo interest rates and fees.
They don't care. They don't. The system worked for them and it's in their best interest to keep as many people down as possible.

If you're anything like me, I felt like I HAD to go to college to get a good job. Neither of my parents had college degrees and had to work their asses off for anything we ever got.

I wanted more than that and they wanted more than that for me.

Now I have my degree...and it feels somewhat worthless. I paid like 40 grand to get a piece of paper to hang on my wall showing others how "adult" I am.

I've got about as good of job as I can reasonably hope to have in this economy and I feel terrible for the people who don't. Like my friends I mentioned before.

There just aren't any decent jobs open. The people who have them don't want to leave them because there isn't hardly anything better, and when one does open up, you get like 100 applications for it. That's what happens where I work even for the ****** part time openings. People will take it and work weekend overnights for peanuts just to get their foot in the door...it's terrible.

Quote:
I'll put it to you like this...as a 23 year old legal assistant with no degree (not even an AA), I take home more gross pay per month than most of our associate attorneys - because of their student loans.

And they're on salary, have to bill for a certain amount of hours each month (which means working weekends oftentimes), and generally have a much shittier and more stressful work life than I do.

And this is a ******* awesome place to work for attorneys just getting out of law school - not some ****, hole-in-the-wall ambulance chaser office. Unless you've got a really defined plan on how you're going to start your own practice within 5 years of getting out of law school, it's just not worth the trouble or money.
I don't doubt it. I got really screwed because no one is consolidating private student loans right now. (The federal loans only covered about half of my tuition, so I had to borrow from places like Wells Fargo...I'm pretty sure Satan is their CEO.)

And now I have to make multiple payments a month because I can't get the consolidated. I'm not managing too terribly because for the first year after I graduated, I lived with my uncle rent free so I saved up every penny I could. Now between rent, loans, gas and food, I about break even each month.

Things like my tax return and months where we get 3 paychecks (like March will be) are where my "spending money" comes from.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol. I have a Wells Fargo loan, good luck with their interest rates...

I stepped down from managing a $32K job so I could go back to school and finish my degree. I should graduate in December and then will probably join the Army (I'm still open to other branches depending on incentives) and go for a commission.

The current job market is ridiculously terrible.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

*sigh*...I'm still in school...hoping to go to Law school like I said before. But Idk, I'm not in a horrible position because if everything starts falling apart I got connections that can hook me up with decent jobs.

But I always wanted to be a lawyer, idk why but I just want to. Gonna keep trying until I finally get knocked out of the game.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
*sigh*...I'm still in school...hoping to go to Law school like I said before. But Idk, I'm not in a horrible position because if everything starts falling apart I got connections that can hook me up with decent jobs.

But I always wanted to be a lawyer, idk why but I just want to. Gonna keep trying until I finally get knocked out of the game.
My advice: work at a law firm first before you decide on law school.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My advice: work at a law firm first before you decide on law school.
That was the plan. My godfather is a lawyer so he can probably pull some strings for me.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Professors who just read off their power point slides and have nothing else to add. I'm paying 20 grand a year for this? At least give me time to write my notes before you move on.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Professors who just read off their power point slides and have nothing else to add. I'm paying 20 grand a year for this? At least give me time to write my notes before you move on.
Trust me, it gets no better after you get out of college. I have been in so many meetings and briefings where someone very high up just reads straight from a Power Point. It makes me wonder how on earth that were able to advance so far in life.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Trust me, it gets no better after you get out of college. I have been in so many meetings and briefings where someone very high up just reads straight from a Power Point. It makes me wonder how on earth that were able to advance so far in life.
Yeah, basically anything you do in college will be harder in most cases than what you have to do for a job.

Part of mine is to train my employees on new stuff related to our Wireless products. So, first time I had to do it, I threw together a powerpoint and really put a lot of work into it. My boss was in the meeting and she thought it was like the greatest thing ever.

And I was kind of bummed out...I had made 1000x better projects in college that got like B's and here I was, in the "real world" at the my job...and some hack job powerpoint I threw together in 30 minutes blew these people's minds.

I just...I just....I don't know about this world.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, basically anything you do in college will be harder in most cases than what you have to do for a job.

Part of mine is to train my employees on new stuff related to our Wireless products. So, first time I had to do it, I threw together a powerpoint and really put a lot of work into it. My boss was in the meeting and she thought it was like the greatest thing ever.

And I was kind of bummed out...I had made 1000x better projects in college that got like B's and here I was, in the "real world" at the my job...and some hack job powerpoint I threw together in 30 minutes blew these people's minds.

I just...I just....I don't know about this world.
OMG THIS IS SO TRUE.

If you halfway know how to use technology, (older) people in teh real world think you're some kind of computer demi-god.

If you really think about it, our generation is really unique in the way that we grew up with communication technology. The generation before us was too old to catch up, the one after us doesn't even know what a ******* payphone is.

I think about that all the time. THE INTERNET AND VIDEO GAMES BASICALLY RAISED US.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

I hate when I email somebody and they end their email with... What the hell does that mean? For example, a woman emailed me asking me to approve a project for her. I asked her who the POC for the project would be and her response was "I will be..." The way I read it was that she wanted to say "What kind of dumb ******* question is that. I will be the POC you dumb piece of ****." Seriously, why end an email like that? Why leave me hanging, thinking there may be more to your response?

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

verizon's voicemail

Are you ******* kidding me? Why do I have to listen to every single saved message before I can hear the new message? dumb!

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I hate when I email somebody and they end their email with... What the hell does that mean? For example, a woman emailed me asking me to approve a project for her. I asked her who the POC for the project would be and her response was "I will be..." The way I read it was that she wanted to say "What kind of dumb ******* question is that. I will be the POC you dumb piece of ****." Seriously, why end an email like that? Why leave me hanging, thinking there may be more to your response?
Maybe there's a ten-character minimum...
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Maybe there's a ten-character minimum...
No, I've sent a bunch of emails with just "Test" in the body.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Yea there's really no limit on emails. I'll do the "....." deal at times but mostly to show sarcasm. But never in formal situations.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote: