Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Football Advice

I made a thread like this last year... I couldn't find it so I'll make a new one. I am 14 years old going to be a sophomore at my high school, if you remember from last time I was 6'0 145 I believe, now I am 6'1 172 and I ran a 4.9... now I am playing OLB in a 3-4 defense, this is JV because unfortunately I have been moved to a new school district where they just made a new school so there are only freshman and sophomores.

I'd really like some advice on how to play the OLB position, I seem to cut in too much while containing, but I am a very good pass rusher. I'm a wrap-up tackler, very fluid, and is always around the ball, so I guess I have good instincts. My problems stem from containment, when I go head-up vs the tackle, or even the fullback I seem to cut in too much and I also seem to be a finesse type backer and try to avoid the lineman altogether instead of going head up and pushing him back. I am the favorite to win the position but I'd like to be the best I possibly can be.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop being a guido...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Stop being a guido...
I am trying my best!

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eat a sandwich.

Also, get aggressive and stop being a cooter. ;)
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice thread. Im looking to start playing over here in the u.k.

Im like 5'9" 150 and pretty fast, so that retty much narrows it down to CB or WR. I know that sounds small, but teams are generally smaller over here, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Any info on techniques to learn, training regiments etc? That would be cool. And rep would be given.

Thanks peeps.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get faster.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Well, I am not afraid of contact... I might be playing FB as well as OLB, I just seem to just find it easier to go around him, but then usually I cut in too much, it really doesn't hurt me unless they run a reverse, I am faster than most on the team... yes with a 4.9... I think the fastest was a 4.69, then 4.8, then some 4.9ss, and then 5s, and then just a lot of slow people.

Obviously I am trying to get faster.... as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself, but I think its pretty good that I just woke-up and ran a 4.9 without any training at all.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did you start doing squats like I told you to last year?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Did you start doing squats like I told you to last year?
I have been but not consistently enough... I do not know exactly how much I squat because the gym in my house has a balanced thing so its not really exact and I don't have a spotter so I can't exactly push myself too hard.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
I have been but not consistently enough... I do not know exactly how much I squat because the gym in my house has a balanced thing so its not really exact and I don't have a spotter so I can't exactly push myself too hard.
Go to your school weight room. Put weight on the bar. Squat. Squat. Squat. When you're done squatting, deadlift. Do power cleans. Lunges. Step-ups.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, I am not afraid of contact... I might be playing FB as well as OLB, I just seem to just find it easier to go around him, but then usually I cut in too much, it really doesn't hurt me unless they run a reverse, I am faster than most on the team... yes with a 4.9... I think the fastest was a 4.69, then 4.8, then some 4.9ss, and then 5s, and then just a lot of slow people.

Obviously I am trying to get faster.... as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself, but I think its pretty good that I just woke-up and ran a 4.9 without any training at all.
were you timed at your own start or did you get a start signal when timing the 40 cuz if its proper 40 dashes than you have one slow team hombre.
But seriously I can help you a bit in being a good athlete, not specifically football.
Couple of advices for your overall athletisism:
- watch your diet, you are what you eat
- work on your balance, to put it simple, if you trip over something you shouldnt fall.
- there is not a time you cant working on stretches and stuff making you more nimble and stuff

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Go to your school weight room. Put weight on the bar. Squat. Squat. Squat. When you're done squatting, deadlift. Do power cleans. Lunges. Step-ups.
Yeah I have really not been an athlete, and I regret that I am turning over a new leaf and maybe I'll rid my guidoness in the process.. I really want to be the best I possibly can be hopefully I can stick with that, I will definitely hit the weight room.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
were you timed at your own start or did you get a start signal when timing the 40 cuz if its proper 40 dashes than you have one slow team hombre.
But seriously I can help you a bit in being a good athlete, not specifically football.
Couple of advices for your overall athletisism:
- watch your diet, you are what you eat
- work on your balance, to put it simple, if you trip over something you shouldnt fall.
- there is not a time you cant working on stretches and stuff making you more nimble and stuff
We are slow... its just freshmen and sophomores, thats the whole school.

I have been tripped once or twice in game, I manage to stay on my feet when I truck someone or try to get crack-backed, but a couple of times I have tripped on someone, but I also have played the last two days with a slightly pulled hamstring.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Yeah I have really not been an athlete, and I regret that I am turning over a new leaf and maybe I'll rid my guidoness in the process.. I really want to be the best I possibly can be hopefully I can stick with that, I will definitely hit the weight room.
Get someone who knows their **** to teach you things like squats, deads and cleans. You'll kill yourself with bad technique.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Get someone who knows their **** to teach you things like squats, deads and cleans. You'll kill yourself with bad technique.
I am going to get my coach to help me out once the weight room opens, the school is brand new and actually under construction still... I have also asked around if anyone new any trainers that would be willing to come to my house's gym for pay obviously and just train me.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know you want to rush the passer and get after the quarterback but contain is your number 1 responsibility. You have to stay disciplined and play run first. In highschool, most teams are run orientated. A lot of teams try to run sweeps with best athlete and try to get him around the corner. As a DE or OLB who has contain responsibilities, it is not necessarily going to be a glorified position but it is vital to the defense. It's more important to stop the play from happening by keeping contain than it is to try to make the play by yourself and end up getting beat around the corner.

From a technical standpoint, don't take the OT or the FB head on. You take him on with your inside shoulder always keeping your outside hand free while still keeping your hips square to the line. That way, if they try to bounce it outside, you'll be in a postition where you can get off the block and make the play. If they try to cut it up inside of you, you drive your man inside and squeeze down but make sure you keep the same relationship with your outside hand free. If you take on the block square, the ball carrier can cut either way off you. When you play it the other way, you force him to make a decision. You want him to cut inside of you because that's where your help will be but if he tries to cut it out, you'll be able to make a big play.

I hope that helps. It's kind of tough to explain without actually showing you. Remember, always play run first, pass second. I know you want to get after the QB but keeping contain is your number one responsibility.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
I am going to get my coach to help me out once the weight room opens, the school is brand new and actually under construction still... I have also asked around if anyone new any trainers that would be willing to come to my house's gym for pay obviously and just train me.
How developed is your home gym?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
FatJJ44
Rookie

FatJJ44 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Just work your hardest in practice, and ask your coaches after practice what you need to workon and what drills you can do for to help
FatJJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We are slow... its just freshmen and sophomores, thats the whole school.

I have been tripped once or twice in game, I manage to stay on my feet when I truck someone or try to get crack-backed, but a couple of times I have tripped on someone, but I also have played the last two days with a slightly pulled hamstring.
We'll i know my measurables at that age pretty well and if you wanna get recruited you need to get those up but thats quite easy to do with better technique. When i first had a decent running coach (not for track but just as part of the training) he managed to get almost a half second of my 100m sprint at the same age you are now. This translates to .2 on a 40 yard dash and maybe even more since most i learned was starting better.
But you can work on that starting speed (also same tech you need for cuts and stuff like that) pretty easy if you have a stopwatch and a parent willing to help you a lot.
Main advices in that part:
- Look that you keep your legs under your body, people tend to bounce their knees out a bit when taking off, it'll make sure you lose some of your power and kicking your knees out makes them more injury prone as well.
- Start with small enough strides in a sprint and start low enough.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself,
you're not a man yet... you can't dedicate yourself.

grow up.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Power cleans are the ****.

And my advice to you, Malaka, is soak this in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOIqDixqV4

Seriously, nothing helped me play better than watching the best at work.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Power cleans are the ****.

And my advice to you, Malaka, is soak this in:

For hockey, I used to start my leg workout with squats, deadlifts, and power cleans. Then, I'd cry.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here. Although it can never hurt to watch great players at your position, remember, pass rushers in the NFL are paid to get sacks. They get big money for playing solid against the run and keeping contain. They are there to get sacks. Obviously try to take somethings from guys like Ware, but as a highschool player, you don't want to emulate your game after his.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I know you want to rush the passer and get after the quarterback but contain is your number 1 responsibility. You have to stay disciplined and play run first. In highschool, most teams are run orientated. A lot of teams try to run sweeps with best athlete and try to get him around the corner. As a DE or OLB who has contain responsibilities, it is not necessarily going to be a glorified position but it is vital to the defense. It's more important to stop the play from happening by keeping contain than it is to try to make the play by yourself and end up getting beat around the corner.

From a technical standpoint, don't take the OT or the FB head on. You take him on with your inside shoulder always keeping your outside hand free while still keeping your hips square to the line. That way, if they try to bounce it outside, you'll be in a postition where you can get off the block and make the play. If they try to cut it up inside of you, you drive your man inside and squeeze down but make sure you keep the same relationship with your outside hand free. If you take on the block square, the ball carrier can cut either way off you. When you play it the other way, you force him to make a decision. You want him to cut inside of you because that's where your help will be but if he tries to cut it out, you'll be able to make a big play.

I hope that helps. It's kind of tough to explain without actually showing you. Remember, always play run first, pass second. I know you want to get after the QB but keeping contain is your number one responsibility.
make sure you read this post more than any of the others.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
make sure you read this post more than any of the others.
because the most vital thing is... prevent them from breaking a big run.

if they get outside and turn the corner... there's not 7 boys trying to stop them... keep them inside... and get faster... it's easier to tackle someone by pushing them back inside than by letting them beat you on the outside and catching up to them. ESPECIALLY because you're not fast.

If you're faster than they are... Sure, it's less of an issue. But, you have to play technique and be in position at all times, don't over pursue. and stop drinking. it stunts your growth broski.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote